Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:23:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Can someone get me up to speed on state of game? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can someone get me up to speed on state of game?  (Read 39012 times)
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 11:26:36 AM

Falconeer is this patch you've been telling everyone to wait for? How long does it usually take to go from test to live for this size of patch?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 02:57:25 PM

Yes, this is THAT patch. It could go live in 30 to 60 days. I'd say second half of May first days of June.

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 03:42:14 PM

Awesome. I'll probably load up a trial account just to see how much better if at all the game will run on my computer then it did at launch and if it's a good improvement will probably resub so can have some levels when this goes live. Gonna start over on a pvp server if decide to give it a try again.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 05:31:21 PM

Someone is broken here.

The melee combat is what puts Age of Conan in a whole, different, better level from any other MMORPG. Whoever thinks it's not good should have his or her head examined.

The original melee, while fun, was completely broken for PVP. Having to queue up 4 moves and then just land the last one to fire off a combo was shit. 3 attacks is much more doable, but I think if I try it again I might just have to go for a ToS if they are still OP.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 05:50:01 PM

They are being nerfed badly in the next patch, so it's all up to when you'll try it again.

Seriously, melee is cool now. I strongly suggest to try again, maybe a different class.

nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 11:17:10 PM

The global chat in this game is  ACK!

Of course it's a game for adults, but all the swearing and spamming makes my eyes bleed. I especially like the links that you can put into the chat that act as macros when you click on them and they make your character say gems like "butt sex hurts".

And this was on a RP server...
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 04, 2009, 03:04:44 AM

Humanity is done for this cycle. Surviving in a bubble or dying as a guerrilla fighter while planning the revolution are the only sane options.

In this case, just turn /global off.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #42 on: April 04, 2009, 10:55:09 PM

They are being nerfed badly in the next patch, so it's all up to when you'll try it again.

How are HoX, I really liked that class, I just hated the 5 direction combos. It was pretty much a game breaker for me.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 05, 2009, 02:07:51 AM

HoXes are so cool, powerful and usually wildly hated by ther enemies. They can deal massive damage, they can crowd control you like a puppet, they can occasionally soak up damage with a damage-soaking skill which make them not so squishy and they can even aoe the hell out of a party just by walking around (pulsing passive AOE, that's why people hate them).

The longest combo, at the highest level, is stillonly 3 buttons and I think the dreaded fire lance or something is an instant 1 button thing. I don't have a HoX but yeah, I HATE them!

And they are getting a new demon animation with next patch.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #44 on: April 05, 2009, 11:11:41 AM

What PVP server would you guys recommend. I have characters on Cimmeria, but from looking at the forums, that place is a cesspit.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 05:26:31 AM

What PVP server would you guys recommend. I have characters on Cimmeria, but from looking at the forums, that place is a cesspit.

Redundant statement is redundant. It's a PvP server. It's a cesspool. From my 14 or so years of MUD and MMO game play, all PvP servers are cesspools. I want to play on a PvP server in AoC. I really do. (After new patch is live, of course.) But the community will most likely keep me away. I'm more of a fan of the DAoC style of PvP anyways.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 06, 2009, 05:43:45 AM

In AoC when you die in PvP you don't really lose anything. You just get sent back to a spawn point and you are good to go again. Really, it's very FPS-ish as the many other aspects of the game. A cesspool?  Humanity is. The average human being is horrible.

If you go there to kill pixels, and don't care about manners, then it will be your cesspool. Do you really expect to have oolong tea and pastries when you log into a Battlefield or Counterstrike server?

I strongly reccomend Fury for EU-ropeans, not because it's a gentleman club, just because it's healthy and I can help you out.

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 06, 2009, 11:04:20 AM

After coming back the first noticeable thing is how much better the game runs. Last time I played I averaged 15 to 25 fps and now I am in the 25 to 45 range and typically in the 30's. Also haven't had a single crash in the 3 or 4 days been playing. Currently on a 14 day trial account from fileplanet but I found the game on EBay for $8.00 after shipping so went ahead and just bought it. Playing on a pvp server (Cimmeria) this time so don't really need my old account. Plus the trial account came with a pretty decent ring and a mammoth.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 06, 2009, 01:29:51 PM

Nope, Morfiend. Revamped a few months ago. At level 80 the longest melee combo is 3 buttons. For all classes.

Really?  Thats awesome.  My assassin used about 3-4 of the same combos but never the long ones because they were retarded.

I also always wanted to try a HoX and a Dark Templar.  Maybe they won't suck now.  I'm going to resub when this new patch comes for sure.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:33:50 PM by Draegan »
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #49 on: April 06, 2009, 02:14:27 PM

Nope, Morfiend. Revamped a few months ago. At level 80 the longest melee combo is 3 buttons. For all classes.

Really?  Thats awesome.  My assassin used about 3-4 of the same combos but never the long ones because they were retarded.

I also always wanted to try a HoX and a Dark Templar.  Maybe they won't suck now.  I'm going to resub when this new patch comes for sure.

HoX never really sucked. Especially if you have macro keys on your keyboard for the long combos.  awesome, for real
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 06, 2009, 08:57:31 PM

I'm really hoping this class revamp will bring DTs around to playability.  I rolled one at launch but couldn't put up with how gimped they were.  To be honest if I was a better player I might have been able to makes something out of it, but as it was I just rerolled.  Those patch notes leave me with hope though.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #51 on: April 07, 2009, 12:16:19 PM

Is any one playing on Cimmeria, RP-PVP server? I am strongly thinking of resubbing, but I dont want to be all alone.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 07, 2009, 12:43:20 PM

I got all my level 20 and below characters on tyranny. I am just that hardcore.  why so serious?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #53 on: April 07, 2009, 12:45:25 PM

After experiencing FFA PvP and giving it the finger, I am now in that wiccan pve server. Conqueror 4 leif.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 07, 2009, 02:38:14 PM

I'm on Cimmeria. Maeridius - Demo. Have a friend of mine I play regularly with. Will always welcome more people to join us. We just use xfire for voice chat since then no one has to host a server and it's just the two of us right now. Usually play 9ish pst to 11ish on weekdays and try to get on weekends when have time but it's usually later at night then too.

I will go ahead and state the obvious in that in my brief experience on Cimmeria (lvl 16) that it is much safer/more fun to have at least a duo partner. Get jumped a lot less and whenever a Sin or Ranger has tried to jump us so far they have always died for their efforts. Been lucky the highest level difference has been 5 levels above us. But on that note from the people I have spoken to Tortage is the worst place in game for gankers and really it's not hard to avoid the gank spots. Just don't go into Underhalls or White Sands during the day even then most people leave you alone and if you do run into trouble can always switch to a different instance.

Itto what level are you at on Wiccanna? Is there really any PvP there? Just seems like it would be pretty limited on the PvE servers. I'll probably roll something on a PvE server though too just for a different pace sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 02:41:41 PM by veredus »
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #55 on: April 07, 2009, 02:38:53 PM

After experiencing FFA PvP and giving it the finger, I am now in that wiccan pve server. Conqueror 4 leif.

I have to agree with Falconeer on this one. AoC is only half the game if played on a PVE server.

I will go ahead and state the obvious in that in my brief experience on Cimmeria (lvl 16) that it is much safer/more fun to have at least a duo partner. Get jumped a lot less and whenever a Sin or Ranger has tried to jump us so far they have always died for their efforts. Been lucky the highest level difference has been 5 levels above us. But on that note from the people I have spoken too Tortage is the worst place in game for gankers and really it's not hard to avoid the gank spots. Just don't go into Underhalls or White Sands during the day even then most people leave you alone and if you do run into trouble can always switch to a different instance.

Itto what level are you at on Wiccanna? Is there really any PvP there? Just seems like it would be pretty limited on the PvE servers. I'll probably roll something on a PvE server though too just for a different pace sometimes.

When I played before, I got to level 25 on a PVE server and realized how much it sucked. If you can take it, PVP is the way to go in AoC. PVE just felt wrong. If I reactivate, I have a whole bunch of high teen characters, on Cimmeria, and a few mid 20s and my HoX which is 54 I think.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 02:42:05 PM by Morfiend »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 07, 2009, 02:46:55 PM

Seriously, what's so bad about dying in PvP anyway? Give it a shrug, and head back to fighting. Your turn now to jump on them.

On PvE servers, dammit it's the same old diku shit we had since March 16th 1999.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #57 on: April 07, 2009, 02:54:59 PM

I lose whole minutes. MINUTES!

I'm fine with seeing an 80 coming my way and utilizing a scalpel on my rectum, but seeing someone uncloack behind me annoys the fuck outta me.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 07, 2009, 03:51:37 PM

I actually like the times in places like the Underhall when you pass another person and both do the sidestepping while facing the other person wondering if he's going to attack or not. I know sounds weird but kind of reminds me of the danger feeling of the first time went deep into lower guk.

I had a 40 something ToS on Zug or whatever it was my first time around and yeah I agree if you can take the PvP servers there is more fun to be had there imo. I will still probably make a PvE guy for those times that I want to just relax. We'll see though as Cimmeria may allow enough places to just chill out too. I really have no idea what it's like past Tortage other then people saying it's not as bad gank wise. Which it's really not that bad anyway. Lots of ways to get around it if need be.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 07, 2009, 04:03:34 PM

Gankwise, the worst parts are level 5 to 20 (Tortage), level 40 to 45 (Noble District) and 65 to 80 (Atzel's and Keshatta). Everything else is ok.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #60 on: April 07, 2009, 04:25:24 PM

I actually like the times in places like the Underhall when you pass another person and both do the sidestepping while facing the other person wondering if he's going to attack or not. I know sounds weird but kind of reminds me of the danger feeling of the first time went deep into lower guk.

I had a 40 something ToS on Zug or whatever it was my first time around and yeah I agree if you can take the PvP servers there is more fun to be had there imo. I will still probably make a PvE guy for those times that I want to just relax. We'll see though as Cimmeria may allow enough places to just chill out too. I really have no idea what it's like past Tortage other then people saying it's not as bad gank wise. Which it's really not that bad anyway. Lots of ways to get around it if need be.

I heard there is really one major high level PVP area, and also the 3 real world "intro" zones. But after that its not bad. God damnit. Now im talking myself in to resubbing.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 07, 2009, 04:31:21 PM

Gankwise, the worst parts are level 5 to 20 (Tortage), level 40 to 45 (Noble District) and 65 to 80 (Atzel's and Keshatta). Everything else is ok.

That is encouraging. Will probably not need to do a PvE guy then.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 07, 2009, 04:36:15 PM

Honestly, I am not sure.

I've heard that my idea of OK and everyone else's often differ greatly when it comes to PvP.

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 07, 2009, 07:52:12 PM

Well if Tortage really is one of the worst spots it really is not that bad.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #64 on: April 11, 2009, 06:46:15 AM

Hrm, been having a terrific time in the last few days, got a Necro on Fury-EU to 20 yesterday, and have a 25 Conq on Wiccana-US. Bought the retail US version.

Are necros supposed to burst like water balloons on pvp? Coming from WAR's pace, it's pretty much blink and you're dead. The fact that my pets, numerous though they may be, (I mean, seriously, EIGHT?), are very weak also doesn't help things.

Conall's is beautiful, though.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 11, 2009, 09:20:36 AM

Conall's is my least favorite starting area, but it does have some beautiful vistas.  It's desert, but even Stygia is my favorite.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 12, 2009, 02:05:30 AM

Oh my, I resubbed after reading all the glowy bits here. It really is a lot better than at launch (except for the villas, which still don't work for me, but who cares).

I did do something I've never done before though, and deleted  a character. My mid-40s Guardian was getting ganked by lone level 30s and once even a group of two 20-somethings, so I had the mother of all ragequits and vowed to never play on a pvp server again. But the pve bit is pretty fun, if only as a form of sightseeing until you hit 80.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #67 on: April 12, 2009, 03:35:36 PM

Conall's is my least favorite starting area, but it does have some beautiful vistas.  It's desert, but even Stygia is my favorite.
Visited Khemi on the european necro today. Absolutely stunning. Went to kopesh or something to do the quests. Fuck that. Everyone's ganking everyone else, rangers having a blast. Not my cup of tea.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: April 12, 2009, 04:15:14 PM

I couldn't stay connected for more than 30 minutes, it got to be kind of frustrating... Fun while it lasted.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 13, 2009, 07:47:44 AM

My Demo on Cimmeria is lvl 23 now. Loving it. Spent the weekend though messing around on test live trying out a bunch of different lvl 80 builds and just pvp'n. It was fun. On Cimmeria I just play root and run whenever a ranger or something jumps me but it really doesn't happen all that much (Khopesh Province) but then I actively avoid people unless looking for a fight. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Can someone get me up to speed on state of game?  
Jump to: