Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:11:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of the game [Fucked] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of the game [Fucked]  (Read 116294 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 02:18:44 AM

He mentioned it before on vnboards, I think he even mentioned it in a video interview.  He's not talking about other live projects he's talking about starting work on "the next big thing".  Insert "Romans in Space" joke.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 03:19:23 AM

The team has worked very hard on this and the scope of this patch cycle demonstrates Mythic’s willingness to continue to work on WAR as it stands now and not focus resources in other directions.

Mark's comments would be relevant if he had an Eve Online like situation, where the game after having improved over a period of time, was starting ti experience growth.  Given that they went from 800k "Active users" to under 300l subscriptions, closed 40 of the initial 56 servers, and laid off numerous people, his comments come off a petulant little child and will only ring with the deluded fanbois and fangrrls who believe WAR is a awesome.

Ta-da!
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 07:31:25 AM

I'm confused on the possible 'other directions' that Mythic could be focussing on? DAoC? UO? I fiond it hard to believe that anyone is even floating the idea of taking resources off their biggest and newly live product to redistribute to maintenance mode projects.
I am not sure I believe that the statement was a dig on Bliz.  More like "EA hasn't shifted all our resources to Sims3, honest!" to me.

"Me am play gods"
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 09:29:48 AM

I think with the Patch 1.2 changes, and what he's said about his SotG related to 1.2.1 to 1.3 will certainly move the needle in the right direction. I am very interested to see how he handles the ward gear revisions because I hate the ward gear crap 200x more than any xp curve issues.  By the way, since many of you all stopped playing I do think that T3 got quest exp increases.  I rerolled on Dark Crag on Feb 8th, and it took me about 3 weeks of casual play (3 hours a night, 5 nights a week) to hit level 40 mostly by power questing.

RVR is where the game is, but they have to let folks move the war.  In Nov-Jan they were failing at the fortress lord level with the crashes, and forts have mostly been fine since then.  But after patch 1.2 with the City Invasion mob buffs, good luck getting to stage II without several people in each invasion instance with greater wards.  Then in Stage II, its even harder because so many people don't have superior wards or don't have the renown rank to wear their Invader gear.

So in the end game, too much emphasis is put on greater and superior ward gear and I think that's the biggest place they are failing right now. Casuals will never see hardly any superior ward gear because the LV dungeon is a big gear check, and Invader requires Renown Rank 55.

Warhammer has to figure out how to keep casuals in the game and progressing while at the same time making the lower tiers fun and fast enough to where people quit in the T2-T3 brackets.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 09:31:11 AM

and it took me about 3 weeks of casual play (3 hours a night, 5 nights a week)

Your definition of casual is fucking out there, man.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 09:31:53 AM

Heh, I was just going to quote that.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 12, 2009, 09:56:00 AM

I just got this in the mail with a free re-up trial:
Draegan of Order   
   You are ordered by Karl Franz himself to return to the front lines! As a loyal soldier in the armies of Order, your strength is needed once again! There is no time for rest at rank 26. Speed your journey to the campaign with increased experience in Tier 3. Your friends Remember, Glooom and Jalor are still in the battle! Rise now, and bear the standard of Wyrd to the very heart of The Inevitable City! To arms, and to glory!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #42 on: March 12, 2009, 09:57:58 AM

Not free.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #43 on: March 12, 2009, 10:10:26 AM

That's a well designed ad, though. Picking up the names of suckers that are still subscribing was a good idea.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #44 on: March 12, 2009, 10:42:18 AM

It's MMO-casual. That's 15h a week which IS pretty damn casual for the market.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 12, 2009, 10:51:13 AM

They just sent me an e-mail promising "increased experience in Tier 4" if I come back.  awesome, for real

Also, awesome new re-itemized dungeons!!!  (No word on re-itemized p-fucking-v-fucking-p).

I'm almost glad I am still getting these e-mails just for the lolz.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 12, 2009, 10:57:18 AM

Not free.

Ah right.  Free 10 days if I resub.  What big idiots.  They can't even entice me to come back the right way.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 12, 2009, 10:59:11 AM

Please note that returning players will need to reactivate their accounts and update their billing information when they re-enlist. No purchase is required for the 10 free days, which begins upon reactivation. You may cancel at any time during your free play, after which the normal billing cycle will begin.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 12, 2009, 11:00:15 AM

15 hours a week is generally considered MMO casual man. Now I choose to spread that out almost daily while others may do 10 of those hours over a weekend.

I don't live in a basement, with my mom, ignore my kids, or lose my job just to put in 15 hours a week. Its basically time that I would normally watch TV, but instead I divert it to MMO's.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #49 on: March 12, 2009, 11:26:58 AM

It's pretty sad when their strategy is to get people to resub temporarily and hope they forget to cancel (again.)

"Me am play gods"
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #50 on: March 12, 2009, 11:54:53 AM

Perhaps Mark is referring to all the people they have working on WAR:ToA.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 12, 2009, 11:55:30 AM

It's pretty sad when their strategy is to get people to resub temporarily and hope they forget to cancel (again.)

Is there an MMO that doesn't use this strategy?

EDIT: I have been corrected in another thread.  LotRO is such an example.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:20:08 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #52 on: March 12, 2009, 11:56:14 AM

it took me about 3 weeks of casual play (3 hours a night, 5 nights a week) to hit level 40 mostly by power questing.

Just piling on here, but that is in NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM what could ever be considered CASUAL PLAY.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 12, 2009, 11:58:11 AM

Well, it's relative.  In EQ days, 3 hours a night was very casual.  In the modern era of MMOs, casual is more like a random hour or two here and there.  WoW and CoH helped redefine casual in the medium.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #54 on: March 12, 2009, 12:00:08 PM

MMOG's being made for OCD freaks like us should still not let us redefine casual. Yes, it's only 15 hours, but if it's 5 out of 7 nights a week, that's not casual, that's a habit. If someone drank 3 beers a night 5 nights a week, I wouldn't consider them a casual drinker.  why so serious? Nebu's description of sporadic random hours of play here and there is casual.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 12, 2009, 12:03:43 PM

Even if every single person remembers to cancel, Jacobs can still trumpet 'LOOK! LOOK!  SUBS ARE GOING UP!!' and the 'official' sub numbers on the financials will be all inflated.  It's all smoke and mirrors.

Over and out.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 12, 2009, 12:36:24 PM

That's a well designed ad, though. Picking up the names of suckers that are still subscribing was a good idea.

Lol.  So does it got through your friends list, or does it pluck two random names from your server and throw them at you?  Sadly I think this is one of the best ideas Mythic has come up with.

If someone drank 3 beers a night 5 nights a week, I wouldn't consider them a casual drinker.

Uh oh.  Guess I've got a problem.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 12, 2009, 12:42:16 PM

Lol.  So does it got through your friends list, or does it pluck two random names from your server and throw them at you?  Sadly I think this is one of the best ideas Mythic has come up with.
It must be friends list or account-based friends list since several of us didn't get any mention of other players, only "your allies".

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 12, 2009, 04:47:51 PM

Or none of your friends are still playing.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 12, 2009, 06:16:13 PM

On the 'reactivate then hope you don't cancel' thing, I don't think WoW's Scroll of Resurrection promo (where you can reactivate a friend's account for 10 days) requires you to add or update billing information, nor does it auto-bill when it expires.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 12, 2009, 06:43:46 PM

I'm confused on the possible 'other directions' that Mythic could be focussing on? DAoC? UO? I fiond it hard to believe that anyone is even floating the idea of taking resources off their biggest and newly live product to redistribute to maintenance mode projects.

Sounds like a veiled statement of "we are right, have been right, and will continue to be right" despite a lot of forum polls, how-to-improve-RvR, be-more-like-DAoC, etc. threads and discussion/complaints that WHA at least is full of. Those sorts of threads are usually the longest ones on WHA at least when I paid attention.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 13, 2009, 07:38:57 AM

I think, perhaps, people are reading to much into this.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 13, 2009, 07:46:12 AM

Many take this as the death of the Origins server that Mark promise to the old guard in DAoC.   I believe they are correct.  Mark is putting all of his eggs into WAR with the delusion that they will somehow make this niche title mainstream.  I'd say that WAR would be lucky to have over 100k subs in another 6 months.

-  Mark Twain
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 13, 2009, 08:33:08 AM

It must be friends list or account-based friends list since several of us didn't get any mention of other players, only "your allies".

Just to add on to this, it is names taken from the friends list. They listed three names I had on a friends list, but they were 6 month subs. So just any open accounts, not active accounts are listed as the people they listed are already back to playing WoW exclusively.

Normally these emails don't come for a while into the games life, but since the 6 month subs are about to expire it does make sense to do this now since they can say those friends 'are still in the battle' as they've chosen to do.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #64 on: March 13, 2009, 09:50:09 AM

Many take this as the death of the Origins server that Mark promise to the old guard in DAoC.   I believe they are correct.  Mark is putting all of his eggs into WAR with the delusion that they will somehow make this niche title mainstream.  I'd say that WAR would be lucky to have over 100k subs in another 6 months.

I think Origins died a little while ago...

http://vnboards.ign.com/daoc_general_board/b5176/110428770/r110431616/

Quote from: MarkJacobsEA
Folks,

Just as an FYI, I want to say again (as I said in a response after my first post) that we did get lots of feedback but that from what I've been told, it was not clear that Origins was the best thing we could do for DAoC at that time from even the Community's point of view. I also did say that we have moved resources around a bit and have had to deal with the layoffs but that we weren't abandoning/shutting down DAoC (that would have been the easier path to follow). We have people who are still working on DAoC and that want to do more for it.

Even in this thread there are people who think we shouldn't do Origins and that, if we have enough resources to devote it, that we should fix other issues first. I know that if the DAoC team had all the resources that they wanted (and that they do ask for), that they could do Origins or something else but the bottom line is that right now, that can't happen. The team is trying to do the best they can but given the way things stand right now (economy, sub numbers, cost, etc.), they are doing the best they can. I also did say that we will continue to look at things we can do for DAoC now and in the future.

Mark
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 13, 2009, 10:39:19 AM

The "that would have been the easier path to follow" comment is rather ominous sounding.  WTG Jacobs!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 13, 2009, 10:43:22 AM

It's just his typical 'Look at me, I'm such a good guy!' spin.

Over and out.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 13, 2009, 11:49:08 AM

Yeah, that whole DAoC origins thing just cemented the fact that Mark is a fucking douchebag.

The line:
Quote from: A Douchebag
If either current or former DAoC players want Origins, I'd love to see a real groundswell of demand to back that up.

Fuck off. He's basically asking for the DAoC players to suck his dick and beg for it. This is AFTER Mythic announced plans for an origins server. People were fucking pumped up. People were voting in the polls, posting all over the forums and blowing up about it. What did Mythic do? Fucking NOTHING. They didn't talk about it for at least 6 months. Everyone gave up hope that it would ever happen after War got released and everyone went their separate ways with a shitty taste in their mouth after Mythic, once again, pisses on them.

And now Mark wants fans to beg for origins again?

The nerve of this asshole is astounding.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 13, 2009, 01:58:50 PM

When I first heard about Origins, I was so excited that I nearly signed back up to DAoC.  Fortunately I resisted that impulse.

I'd also say that Mythic themselves killed a lot of the excitement over Origins by releasing information about it.  People had not envisioned a retuned New Frontiers ruleset sort of loosely based on some mishmash of the Classic and ToA servers, with Old Frontiers turned on.  People had thought Mythic had meant something more along the lines of taking a 1.6x version of the game, putting it up on a server, and running with it.  (Post left axe nerf, if you please.)
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 13, 2009, 02:29:08 PM

Yeah, that whole DAoC origins thing just cemented the fact that Mark is a fucking douchebag.

The line:
Quote from: A Douchebag
If either current or former DAoC players want Origins, I'd love to see a real groundswell of demand to back that up.

Fuck off. He's basically asking for the DAoC players to suck his dick and beg for it. This is AFTER Mythic announced plans for an origins server. People were fucking pumped up. People were voting in the polls, posting all over the forums and blowing up about it. What did Mythic do? Fucking NOTHING. They didn't talk about it for at least 6 months. Everyone gave up hope that it would ever happen after War got released and everyone went their separate ways with a shitty taste in their mouth after Mythic, once again, pisses on them.

And now Mark wants fans to beg for origins again?

The nerve of this asshole is astounding.

This. Hard to imagine more vocal support for Origins than they have had in the forums. Screw groundswell, Mythic has had a tsunami of input about this already.

It's just their lame "I can't hear you" excuse for not doing anything, when the real reason is it would just cut directly into their already shitty WAR numbers.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of the game [Fucked]  
Jump to: