Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:16:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: The West (as of 3/09, Bat Country will be on World 8) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The West (as of 3/09, Bat Country will be on World 8)  (Read 801934 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3640 on: January 21, 2012, 10:33:55 PM

I put some wool and a hammer up.  No beans or toolboxes on me at the moment, although I'd be happy to work on getting some toolboxes in exchange for some canteens that I don't need to do the cattle branding for.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3641 on: January 22, 2012, 02:59:37 PM

I put some wool and a hammer up.  No beans or toolboxes on me at the moment, although I'd be happy to work on getting some toolboxes in exchange for some canteens that I don't need to do the cattle branding for.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Actually I found something to spend my $ on and bought most of the dancer's set, so the set bonuses are easily letting me do the job.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Although after doing some reading it seems I should completely ignore quests almost since I'm mostly trying to level.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3642 on: January 22, 2012, 04:15:48 PM

Dancer/gentlemen set is a must-have.  Do you have the parasol?  If not, I'll save the next one I find in my endless search for Swearengen's belt.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3643 on: January 23, 2012, 06:54:28 AM

Dancer/gentlemen set is a must-have.  Do you have the parasol?  If not, I'll save the next one I find in my endless search for Swearengen's belt.

Only missing the necklace and belt.

Looking for a product item that actually has stats on it is what led me to realizing how good the set would be for me right now and that I could actually afford it.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3644 on: January 23, 2012, 07:39:32 AM

I'll save the next necklace I find.  And though it will pain me, I'll even give you the belt (if I find it) rather than selling it on the world market for $500k.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3645 on: January 23, 2012, 07:58:16 AM

I'll save the next necklace I find.  And though it will pain me, I'll even give you the belt (if I find it) rather than selling it on the world market for $500k.

500k???  Cripes, I don't need it that bad, I'm doing just fine with the bonuses I have now.  How was I able to get almost every piece of the set for like 5k ish but the belt is that much?

Also makes me wonder if I've been vendor trashing much stuff that I should be auctioning instead, am assuming most anything I'll find at my lower level isn't going to be that worthwhile.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:02:36 AM by Thrawn »

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3646 on: January 23, 2012, 10:46:19 AM

500k???  Cripes, I don't need it that bad, I'm doing just fine with the bonuses I have now.  How was I able to get almost every piece of the set for like 5k ish but the belt is that much?

The belt doesn't show up in any town shops (or on the merchant, that I've seen) so the only way to get it is via random drop.  Its value is something like $4250, so you have to be doing a pretty high level luck job to have a shot at it, and it's a very very slim chance of getting it since there are so many other items in that price range (when you get a luck drop, a random item is picked whose value is somewhere in the range for the job -- most of my high luck jobs give me a drop from somewhere in the $1500-$4500 range, which covers a lot of ground).

And EVERYONE wants one to complete the set (it's also a requirement for a high-level quest), so when somebody does find an extra, there's plenty of demand.  I've seen market prices for it range from $100k to $500k.

The other really high-value item is Key #3, which you need to get the Golden Gun (incredibly awesome fort gun) -- easiest way to get that one seems to be to do Grave Robbing with 730 labor points, which gives it as a guaranteed drop (once per person), although some people have gotten it as a random drop ($7500 value, which means doing fort battles and opening high-value chests is the best way to get it that way).

Also makes me wonder if I've been vendor trashing much stuff that I should be auctioning instead, am assuming most anything I'll find at my lower level isn't going to be that worthwhile.

Yeah, most likely.  I never vendor-trash products any more, since there always later turns out to be some quest or some craft recipe that wants a bunch of some random product that I've been trashing.  Regular clothes and weapons are pretty safe to get rid of, since you can always buy more of them from a town shop (even if it's at a 4x markup), but I never get rid of "named" items unless I've already got a spare.

I've also been hanging on to one each of whatever I find for the various collection achievements, because why not?  Hence me having a lot of random low-level clothing on me rather than selling it all immediately.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3647 on: January 23, 2012, 03:53:35 PM

Got the necklace off the market today btw.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3648 on: January 23, 2012, 03:55:31 PM

Cool beans.  I should've suggested that, the market tends to be well saturated with them.

(edit) Xan, the town market still has that wool and hammer if you need 'em.  I also put up some cake slices, which give a temporary +15 LP buff; might be handy if there's a job you're just shy of being able to do.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:58:07 PM by Samwise »

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3649 on: January 26, 2012, 09:59:36 AM

That next level of field cook is so close I can taste it.  Need to start collecting knives and chopping boards soon (50 of each to get me through the dreaded 300-350 level).   ACK!

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3650 on: January 27, 2012, 11:44:29 AM

I put some wool and a hammer up.  No beans or toolboxes on me at the moment, although I'd be happy to work on getting some toolboxes in exchange for some canteens that I don't need to do the cattle branding for.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Put them up? Is there an auction house now or something similar?

Just found the town market - thanks, didn't realize it was there.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:46:27 AM by Xanthippe »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3651 on: January 27, 2012, 12:07:30 PM

The market also works globally -- you can choose when you sell things whether they're available to your town, your alliance, or the whole world.  If you need a piece of gear that's not available in our shops, the market is a good place to look.  I also try to make a habit of checking the "traveling merchant" (he's in your inventory screen) to see if he has anything I might want, although at this point I already have one of almost everything.

The other big thing they added since you last played is crafting, which is why Thrawn and I have been swapping stuff back and forth.  Here's a good resource for crafting recipes.  As you might expect, some of the recipes need things from other professions, so you need to trade with other crafters for certain things.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3652 on: February 03, 2012, 06:23:00 AM

What does praying do?

I made myself a blacksmith. Adventurer class, putting points into shooting so far. I still can't mine coal so I'm wondering if I should respec to something strength based or not. What do you think?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3653 on: February 03, 2012, 08:29:20 AM

What does praying do?

I don't think anybody knows.

I made myself a blacksmith. Adventurer class, putting points into shooting so far. I still can't mine coal so I'm wondering if I should respec to something strength based or not. What do you think?

I wouldn't worry about it.  You'll be able to do coal mining at some point regardless of how you spec your skills, since your base abilities and your clothes will give you more than enough points in whatever you need.  If you're just a bit shy of being able to do some job, see if you can buy some clothes that'll boost the relevant skill.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3654 on: February 14, 2012, 10:53:01 AM

Wow, I just got a really nice necklace for a Valentines Day quest.

+15 to Appearance, Trading, Leadership and Animal Instinct.

Awesome.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3655 on: February 14, 2012, 11:25:09 AM

Make sure to check for quests around each holiday; there are a bunch of nice holiday items that give you a bonus to item drops if you wear a bunch of them together.

Also, apparently if you do the "picking berries" job right now you get a bouquet that you can wield as a duelling weapon, and if you "duel" someone with it you both get a reward.  I've got my bouquet but haven't seen anyone else wielding one yet.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3656 on: February 23, 2012, 04:55:24 PM

Not sure yet how I feel about the "bonds" thing.  Kind of nice to have alternate ways to get the cool shit, but the daily checklist is a bit of a pain in the ass.  If you get a report that I attacked you with a pillow, it was to check off the "duel a player" item.   why so serious?

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3657 on: February 25, 2012, 01:12:46 PM

You attacked me with a pillow? I didn't see that report, somehow.

I haven't even bothered with the new daily quests. I'm basically running the same 3 just to level right now - exploration, hunting wolves and transporting tnt.

I've been dueled a couple of times by people lower leveled than me but with better gear and lost both times. I wear the greenhorn set for enhanced jobs.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3658 on: March 26, 2012, 04:13:01 PM

I just finished a job called "Charlatan." The report said

A big angry man doesn't believe anything you say. He beats you up.
You lose 488 health points.

Ouch!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3659 on: March 26, 2012, 04:40:05 PM

The various "job injury" texts are the funniest part of the game.  Especially because they have no relationship to the amount of damage you took.

I think my favorite is "You are on fire.  You lose 1 health point."

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3660 on: April 12, 2012, 07:14:35 AM

So when you find items while doing jobs, is the dollar value for your luck working off the buy or sell price of the items?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3661 on: April 12, 2012, 11:20:54 AM

Buy price.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3662 on: April 12, 2012, 12:49:15 PM

Buy price.

That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure I wasn't putting points in skills to try and get my luck high enough to hit the buy price for the dancer's belt for nothing.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3663 on: May 16, 2012, 06:47:04 PM

So... I need to start collecting knives and chopping boards.  Should I be scrounging materials or would you guys accept cash?  (Something like $2k for each chopping board and $3k for each knife would line up roughly with how long it takes to find the materials for each.)

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3664 on: May 17, 2012, 06:22:26 AM

I'm not sure I even see what good cash is in the game yet.  swamp poop

I'm sitting on decent pile right now with nothing really to spend it on.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3665 on: May 17, 2012, 08:23:02 AM

Skill respecs are the major cash sink.  I spend most of my cash on buying stuff from the market (people will sell stuff like rare named items for vast sums).

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #3666 on: May 25, 2012, 03:57:57 PM

I've gotten bored enough that I want to stop playing and let my character delete itself.  If somebody wants to take over Trammel so that you continue to have an easy way to trade the daily duel drop me a telegram in game.  I'll keep signing for a few more days.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3667 on: May 29, 2012, 01:51:08 PM

I've gotten bored enough that I want to stop playing and let my character delete itself.  If somebody wants to take over Trammel so that you continue to have an easy way to trade the daily duel drop me a telegram in game.  I'll keep signing for a few more days.

I haven't actually had FUN playing the game pretty much since I started, I just made it habit to login and check it so I still do.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3668 on: May 29, 2012, 02:36:27 PM

I found Bowie's Knife recently, that was pretty awesome.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3669 on: October 24, 2012, 03:37:48 PM

Does anyone still play this?  Got an email today that they're revamping the game, logged in to find my guy on W8 was erased and I can't make a new character on W8, sadly.  If you're playing and have a world I can roll on, let me know. 
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3670 on: October 24, 2012, 04:10:44 PM

I'm still playing on W1, W5, W8, and W9.  W1 is by far the most active of the "old" servers, and might still be accepting new players; there was a big push a couple of months ago to migrate people from all the other old servers into that one.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3671 on: October 31, 2012, 01:38:38 PM

This shiny new UI frightens and confuses me.  Haven't played with it much yet as my first act upon being upgraded to 2.0 was to run out and start on construction of a new fort.  I'm proud that "we" never lost control of Bazooko Circus on the old map.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3672 on: October 31, 2012, 09:08:13 PM

Wow, it's a really slick setup.  For a webgame, it's very pretty.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3673 on: November 01, 2012, 02:09:08 PM

It's slick and shiny, but I think the gameplay changes might be what finally get me to delete my account after three and a half years or however long it's been.   

Not being able to queue up more than 12 minutes worth of jobs at a time is just pants-on-head swamp poop

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3674 on: November 01, 2012, 05:14:03 PM

Yeah, it's a real step in the wrong direction.  They might have found through testing that people are likely to spend more money on a game that rewards faster, but ultimately what made it fun was that I didn't need to play it for more than 10minutes a day.  Shame.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: The West (as of 3/09, Bat Country will be on World 8)  
Jump to: