Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:21:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: In all seriousness... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In all seriousness...  (Read 34217 times)
Delmania
Terracotta Army

on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:49 AM

Is anyone playing this at the moment?  Has oRvR advanced beyond the "2 strangers passing in the night phase"?

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 10:33:21 AM

You're weak.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:38:05 AM

You're weak.

It's true.  That's why I am relying on all of you to remind why this game is bad so the "hey I think I'll try it out" feelings go away.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:52:13 AM

Look, there's two things that will prevent me from ever going back. And I'm saying ever because I know they won't correct them, ever... ever, ever, ever, ever.

1) The xp grind is a kick in the fucking balls. You know it is.

2) You're giving money to Paul Barnett. You're giving him money so that he can yuk it up again during the next round of layoffs. Now, that's your choice if you do it and I'm ordinarily not a white knight about this voting with my dollar stuff but seriously, fuck that guy. Don't validate his behavior.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:00:38 AM

No. I never even reached the hell that is T3. Pretty much as soon as I hit T2, I gave up. I just could not see the point to all the mindless PvE. I had a little bit of fun in the scenarios and 1v1 PvP but it just all looked like absolute hell beyond that. I might consider coming back if they got rid of tiers by either A.) using a PvP level range a la original EQ or B.) using a damage modifier when in PvP so that ubers can't just one-shot noobies and noobies have a chance of ganging up on an uber. Neither will ever happen so there's no way in hell I'm coming back.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:35:48 AM

Is anyone playing this at the moment?  Has oRvR advanced beyond the "2 strangers passing in the night phase"?

Yes still playing.  ORVR is constant at all tiers, this doesn't mean the game is good.  If your only reason to quit was "not enough orvr" then you would love the game now, if you quit for the hundreds of other problems with the game then you are advised to stay away.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 11:48:13 AM

Yes, the quantity of RvR is there.  The quality is mostly zerg, so if you are one of the guys that likes to PUG in zerg fashion, then this may be the game for you right now. 

I actually enjoy the PVE stuff a little more than most.  I think they could have had a real gem if they would have spent more time and effort into making the PVE stuff more enjoyable- particularly for those slow hours when not that many folks are online.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 12:09:20 PM

The comments about giving money to Paul are like hard slaps to my face....

However, I am more of a guild group with a zerg player, meaning I like to be with friends in a zerg, but it desire takes us, we can split of and try to find our own thing.  As for the PvE, if people actually did the public quests, I'd be more inclined to like the game.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:13:40 PM

The comments about giving money to Paul are like hard slaps to my face....
Paul.  Barnett.  Giving.  Money.

Don't do it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 02:40:18 PM

The lack of RvR wasn't that large of a concern of mine, it was more "oh god Tor Anroc is the most vile thing I've ever forced myself to do to level in my no-doubt-completely-mistaken memory".  There were a bunch of minor things that added up to be a severe irritation as well, to this day I still am gobsmacked that the game did not (and I believe still doesn't) have /setcamera implemented.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 06:24:06 PM

... to this day I still am gobsmacked that the game did not (and I believe still doesn't) have /setcamera implemented.
It took them five months to get ignore working properly (maybe this time for real).  They just need time.

Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 11:38:57 PM

I asked all 11 people I played with at some point in-game who I know in RL. None play at all now; the last person to turn out the light was in late Jan.

Personally, the PvE isn't wonderful, but the reason I slogged a sorc to 40 and a couple alts to their teens then just up and quit was when I realized that at no point was the PvE screwing around EVER going to end.

I always thought I would be rewarded by suffering through PvE with a big ole' ORvR-fest wihtout all the cock-blocking scenarios, PQ, lower tier screwing around, etc. I just want good ole' DAoC-style RvR with realm pride and bragging rights over relics or something. When I finally admitted to myself that this is all about eternal shitty PvE influence on what should be pure RvR motivation I quit.

DAoC golden age was simple realtime rules, no bullshit, strategic fun, realm involving.

WAR is tedious unnecessarily complicated and over-involving rules and timers, bullshit tedium to do at every turn, no strategy that I can see, realm what realm?

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 11:47:29 PM

Btw, ny sorc logged out for the final time a couple months back, sitting on a seige pad wondering "Some developer actually wasted time on these things to force me to put one ram in this spot instead of the freedom I used to have in DAoC".

The small amount of sandbox in DAoC that made RvR as interesting as it was is apparently too much latitude for WAR. It might require, you know, strategy and coordination.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
morph
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 01:18:40 AM

After being terribly borred with WoTLk, I resubbed to WAR to see how things are going there.

I saw a couple of different things:
1) The server merges worked. My Med/Med server had 3+ warbands in each side fighting in most of the zones (T4)
2) The zone locking mechanism now works. After 2+ months of the game, I actually was there when a zone was locked by order.
3) Within 1 week, there was both an Altdorf and an IC attack.
4) Scenario queues now pop with different scenarios! Only 1 Serpent's Passage popped!!!
5) They removed the TOS dialog when you log in!!
6) I did not experience any memory leak crashes, or any of the original CTDs I was seeing when the game launched.

But:
1) PQ contribution is still TOTALY random. You cannot count on doing you best to get a better contribution...
2) The ward system for PvE and the influence added to RvR areas, introduced a HELL of a grind.
3) RP gain for healers still sucks if you are grouped.

All in all it currently is an ok game if you want to play at a relaxed pace (1-2 hours per day).
If that is sufficient for you to pay 13euros per month, thats another issue.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 07:32:55 AM

But:
1) PQ contribution is still TOTALY random. You cannot count on doing you best to get a better contribution...
2) The ward system for PvE and the influence added to RvR areas, introduced a HELL of a grind.
3) RP gain for healers still sucks if you are grouped.

What?  PQ contibution is fixed and I know it is cause Ive seen it work properly on multiple characters in multiple tiers.  Their RvR Contirubtion system is the one thats borked still.  Influence isnt a grind if you actually RvR.  I had elite elf reward done in < 2 weeks, Empire in <3 weeks and Dwarf too a month and that took longer cause RvR didnt flow into Dwarf areas very often.  Influence rewards are fine if you RvR, you arent meant to get elite rewards after doing 5 keeps :P  Not sure what your smoking for healer RP gain, do you suck at it?  I just replayed my DOK for the first time in 2 months and in doing scenarios alone I was getting 2-3K per game, even ones we lost.  In one night I got RR36 and RR37 after about 3 hours.  The only way you will get crappy RP is if your group is completely useless. 
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 09:45:32 AM

Keep it up Shatter, you might ding.

Whoops, wrong forum.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 10:58:40 AM

Keep it up Shatter, you might ding.

Whoops, wrong forum.

Ding!
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 02:33:10 PM

pain.

Are you familiar with paragraphs?

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 07:14:11 AM

pain.

Are you familiar with paragraphs?

He's was going for the no paragraph tome unlock but he forgot which forum he was on.
Le0
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 04:38:25 AM

I re-subscribed the other day, because lets face it, every game sucks these days.

Must say I was pleasantly surprised, I play a marauder which was already 26 I dinged 28 without too much effort.
Before I quit it was a nightmare to find groups to RvR but I already participated in a few keep attack in my first day. One which turned out to be quite succesfull, I even won a massive shiny BAG, with a Devastator Helm I can't even wear yet.

Thank god they fixed the bug that forced you to play Tor Anroc 15 billions time a day.

The stuttering is completly gone for me, I run the game with AA8x, AS16x etc.. sometimes I get a few slow down in RvR when there are massive effects but otherwise its fine.

The only downside is that I heard that the marauder is going to get quite nerfed in 1.2, but since that is coming from the whine fest that is WHA (don't even know how I can still go there) I'm not too sure. I might roll a choppa cause green is good.

I enjoy myself pretty much!
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 04:43:53 AM

You should try a choppa, the 2 new classes that come out today(patch 1.2) are supposed to be pretty hardcore DPS.  Ive got 3 guilldies rerolling to slayer's today. 
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 05:18:38 AM

Nice image Itto, if I Can just remember how that guy died I'd be happy.

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 06:01:23 AM

Nice image Itto, if I Can just remember how that guy died I'd be happy.

Turned into angel, raged by the malevolent spirits of everyone he ever tortured.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 06:05:07 AM

Yes, I vaguely remember that scene.  That was the tower fight where the rescued Casca and Griffith was reborn.  I really need to puck up the last 3 volumes of the manga that was released.

Le0
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 10:50:26 PM

You should try a choppa, the 2 new classes that come out today(patch 1.2) are supposed to be pretty hardcore DPS.  Ive got 3 guilldies rerolling to slayer's today. 

I was going to roll a slayer, but then I figured orc are way cooler :p
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 12:43:53 AM

The only downside is that I heard that the marauder is going to get quite nerfed in 1.2, but since that is coming from the whine fest that is WHA (don't even know how I can still go there) I'm not too sure. I might roll a choppa cause green is good.

I enjoy myself pretty much!

Everyone got a little bit nerfed.  Although I hear the savagery line for Marauder is the way to go now.
zubey
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 09:57:37 AM

Still playing here.  I like it.  If you play primetime, there's a variety of things to do:  Scenarios (different ones; not just the same one over and over) popping every 5-15 minutes, ORvR with multiple warbands per side, etc.

They now have "easy" PQs in every chapter which are suitable for 1-3 players, so if I feel like scenarios, I'll do these in the meantime.

Only downside to me is that if you play off-peak, I imagine its considerably less fun.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 11:46:28 PM

Anyone know how the swordmaster's playing these days.  A couple RL friends are considering going back to the game, but I won't be dragged their if they haven't patched some fun into the SM.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 01:02:20 AM

SM's have had their damage nerfed somewhat, but their survivability has been scaled up.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 06:53:52 AM

SM's have had their damage nerfed somewhat, but their survivability has been scaled up.

Not really.  SM damage from the damage tree is way up, survivability from the tanking tree is way up, utility from the utility tree is way up.  Basically we now have three completely viable and different playstyles, im 40/45 on my SM and i consider us the best we've ever been atm.

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 08:32:48 AM

In the mid-20s my Swordmaster was already an incredibly tough and deadly tank.  Almost any one-on-one engagement was in my favor.  Later I don't know.  All the switching of Gust and other powers back and forth between stances means that may have changed, too.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 06, 2009, 10:04:23 AM

Not really.  SM damage from the damage tree is way up, survivability from the tanking tree is way up, utility from the utility tree is way up.  Basically we now have three completely viable and different playstyles, im 40/45 on my SM and i consider us the best we've ever been atm.

Well, just going by the reactions of my guild SM's.  Complaints that their damage went down, but they love the ability to efficiently tank with a 2 hand weapon now.
zubey
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 10:26:48 AM

Was just reading a thread today where SM were rejoicing in how many different viable specs they now have.

Link
GoodIdea
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 07:26:49 AM

The game is quite good now and getting better every day. It's nothing like what it was when it first came out.

Lots of open rvr, not just zerg (depends on server), I've been part of 1v1s, 6v6, 12v12. If you like combat a certain way, you'll be able to find it.

Lots of other problems are fixed too, all of the major problems why people quit last year. Levelling is very easy, I have 3 rank 40 characters, the last 2 were levelled on PVP only.

Oh, and they are introducing a token system tomorrow as well, so gear should be able to be easier to get, if you put in the time. Lots of changes, I'm glad I didn't quit.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 07:51:22 AM

The game is quite good now and getting better every day. It's nothing like what it was when it first came out.

Lots of open rvr, not just zerg (depends on server), I've been part of 1v1s, 6v6, 12v12. If you like combat a certain way, you'll be able to find it.

Lots of other problems are fixed too, all of the major problems why people quit last year. Levelling is very easy, I have 3 rank 40 characters, the last 2 were levelled on PVP only.

Oh, and they are introducing a token system tomorrow as well, so gear should be able to be easier to get, if you put in the time. Lots of changes, I'm glad I didn't quit.

Let me be the voice of reason. 

The game has improved since release, but is still very much the same core game.  PQ's are easier, ORvR gives more xp and nice rewards, and they seem to have improved performance and stability.

Leveling is only easy IF you are on an active server.  I've been playing 3 weeks (casually) and I've gotten a toon from 1-27 in that time.  Pickup groups are terrible.  Pve is still terrible.  I stopped playing my level 40 because endgame rvr is both dull and WAY out of balance.  Tokens will lessen the endgame grind, but won't make it any more fun.  The endgame RvR mechanics are dull and uninspired.   

If you have a regular group to play with the game CAN be fun, but that's mostly a function of the people rather than the core mechanics.  I'm pretty bored by the game but a) there's really nothing else to play and b) I enjoy the people that I'm currently playing with.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: In all seriousness...  
Jump to: