Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:53:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Stargate Universe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stargate Universe  (Read 92334 times)
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 04, 2009, 04:20:58 PM

Start with Stargate framework, add a lot of Battlestar, a little Lost in Space (Rush = Dr. Smith) and some Sliders (a time limit for exploring a brave new world!) and you have this new show.

Young is the Col Hammond/Dr. Wier as opposed to the lead I expected him to be.  The large problem is Lt. Scott doesn't have the charisma of O'Neill/Mitchell/Sheppard.  You need that hat to hang the hook on and he's a bit straight-up marine.

It could get better.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:14:26 AM by AutomaticZen »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 01:46:41 AM

Needs more Lou Diamond Phillips. For some reason I love him. Apparently he's just a recurring guest star.

I didn't think it was bad, certainly better than Atlantis which was pure schlocky shit.l

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 01:49:53 AM

Atlantis was schlock, but even it managed to have some really stellar sci-fi moments (which were probably inspired by better sources, I'm sure), my favorites being the ones with "Todd", and some of the Michael stuff.  I'm also a fucking loser for Jewel Staite, so Kaylee making an appearance during that last season really helped keep me interested.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 05, 2009, 08:31:25 AM

Didn't really like Atlantis at all, and I tried pretty hard to.  I thought it was pretty terrible though.  I hope it works out for Carlyle because I like him.  But the rest of the cast seems totally interchangeable.  They all have the same look, lack of charm and overwrought earnestness I hate in so many other shows.  And then there's the awful writing and shaky cam.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 02:49:25 PM

could be ok if they kill everyone but Carlisle and the Fat Kid.  I liked them. 

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 09, 2009, 12:06:10 PM

I keep thinking the fat kid is the same guy from Superbad. I know he isn't but that's the mental connection I keep making. I didn't hate the premier but it didn't live up to what I thought it was going to be. From the trailers I'd seen, I had a nasty, gritty, BSG setting envisioned. It was about 1/4 of the way there.

I also was hoping that this thing was going to put them in a completely different universe (hence the title). My thinkiing was that since 7 chevrons = 3D coords+point of origin in our galaxy, and 8 chevrons = 7 + another galaxy, then 9 chevrons would = a completely different universe/reality. Oh well.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 09, 2009, 06:25:49 PM

I keep thinking the fat kid is the same guy from Superbad.

Yeah... the whole cast did have a bit of a look-alike feel to it.  Elyse Levesque (Senator's daughter) seemed to be channeling Summer Glau at the end (might have just been the crazy/grief) and Alaina Huffman (TJ, the Medic) was very Scarlett Johansson (was probably just the hair).

Looking forward to how they'll deal with the time-limit stuff, but I'm definitely into it so far.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #42 on: October 10, 2009, 03:03:00 PM

Third episode, loved the chubby kid spending twelve hours in the desert with his sun visor equipped hat on backwards.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 09:32:38 PM

Liking it so far as well, this last episode was interesting enough to overlook the acting/writing flaws. I'll give it a couple more and see how it pans out.

- Viin
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 11, 2009, 12:05:12 AM

I think I hate every character on this show except Rush and TJ (and Eli half the time).  It's a bit like my Bizarro Dollhouse in that respect.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 11, 2009, 01:16:12 AM

"Air pt. 3" did nothing to inspire more confidence in the future of the show.  I'm pretty sure I'll be hoping for the Senator's daughter to die by the time this season is over, as well as token-black-soldier-with-an-attitude-problem.  Computer-nerd needs better writing and a better actor, or needs to fucking die, because by the end I was hoping that Centauri would take him out of there to go defend the frontier from the Ko-Dan Armada and leave the rest of the mediocre crew in peace.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 11, 2009, 01:50:36 AM

Ugh.  I couldn't even get all the way through the third episode before switching it off.  I decided I hate every character in the show more than every other character.  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 02:33:38 AM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 11, 2009, 06:22:54 AM

The show works for me, no idea why.

Oh, yes, now I remember, even bad American tv shows are better than standard German tv shows.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 11, 2009, 07:15:25 AM

I'm surprised I don't dislike Eli. I know I should but given his background and the situation he is thrust into he doesn't behave that bad. He is neither an insufferable genius asshole nor a cowardly jackass.

I will at least keep watching until they manage to destroy that trust into them making a gamer in this situation somewhat relatable!  awesome, for real

Most other people suck, though. Rush has his moments, as has the Doctor. But I hope male young soldier lead and angry black marine guy take each other out one of these days.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #49 on: October 11, 2009, 08:02:34 AM

They've got me for a few more episodes.  Really clunky in spots, but it still feels like it has some potential.  Or maybe I just want to like it because I feel like I'm lacking a fun scifi series to watch.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 11, 2009, 05:17:11 PM

It has incredibal potential, I think.  It really taps back into some of that "dread of the unknown" from the first movie.  I just wish the writing up to now wasn't so fucking awful.  It's as if the Heroes writers decided to make a show centered on Parkman and Mohinder, and then asked Brett Ratner and Michael Bay for pro-tips on character development.

I'll still watch it, of course, because of Carlyle, and because I'm a stargate fan.  It's pathetic.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 06:03:48 PM by ahoythematey »
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #51 on: October 12, 2009, 12:14:52 AM

The show definitely has potential. But they've got a long ways to go.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 12, 2009, 08:22:35 AM

Last episode was so hilariously bad I couldn't stop making fun of it.  I will probably keep watching though for that.  I like Dr. Rush and sociopathic black guy, but ugh at the rest of the show.

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 12, 2009, 09:28:35 AM

This show is so bad but somehow keeps me interested. Its basically a bunch of dumb shit and plot filler and then the last 5-10 minutes its interesting and the story moves forward. It hasn't gotten to the point yet where I just quit watching, but its getting close.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 12, 2009, 02:34:17 PM

They can't keep spinning out these 15 minutes stories and think they'll keep people entertained. Unfortunately, reading the synopses of things to come, that's just what they'll do.
Still it has potential if they just up the pace a bit.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 12, 2009, 07:07:43 PM

I enjoyed it.  In fact you could say that I watched a Stargate show and I liked it...liiiiked iiiiit.

Sure, it's shlocky, the characters are cliched, and some of the dialog is cringe-worthy but this isn't high art.  It's sci-fi on TV so I have low expectations and it's heads and shoulders above Star Trek, Buffy, and Angel re-runs. 

If the show goes down in flames I hope they do a reverse "Life of Mars" reveal and they all wake up in the 1970s after having taken some bad acid.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 13, 2009, 10:07:05 AM

1. they need to seriously tone down the religion.  That made me stop watching BSG. 
2. they need to explain why Rodney or Daniel don't get on the horn and solve everythin double-time.
3. they need to kill everyone other than Rush and Eli, starting with the blond.  Cause you know we're gonna get her backstory when she runs out of hair gel.
4. they need an enemy for character development, and the ship could do it, if it starts to randomly kill people.

My fear is that this becomes a National Lampoon Vacation series of shorts whenever they stop in a system. O NOES WE LEFT MING NA BEHIND urrh wut?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #57 on: October 13, 2009, 01:50:35 PM

For a time I use to give every new show on Sci Fi a chance.  Somewhere around Wrestling, it's just makes more sense to assume it sucks.  If for some reason, Syfy makes a descent show you'll hear about it.  SU is not that show.

"Me am play gods"
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #58 on: October 17, 2009, 11:30:26 AM

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 17, 2009, 02:10:09 PM

Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 17, 2009, 02:47:12 PM

I enjoyed it.  In fact you could say that I watched a Stargate show and I liked it...liiiiked iiiiit.
Check that. Just watched ep2. That whole scene with the dead senator's wife and daughter was terrible.  Now I'm only watching for the sci-fi - the 'drama' I'll fast forward.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 17, 2009, 05:25:46 PM

Either I'm becoming dumber, or the fourth episode was an improvement.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 17, 2009, 07:33:28 PM

looking forward to #4.  There will be much drama and hang-wringing as they fill a shuttle with red shirts.  And just as the end seems at end, the ship will scoop up all the solar wind and blast off.  Leaving the B-Ark alone....
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 18, 2009, 02:28:19 AM

Nothing happened again in #4.  When are they going to meet some damn aliens?  This is like the TNG episodes where all they find is anomalies but they learn something personal about themselves because their dreams come alive or some shit.  Actually, that would improve the show. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 18, 2009, 04:27:12 PM

Or we could just enjoy watching the gamer guy as he tries not to watch the senators daughter take a dry shower each week.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 18, 2009, 07:02:21 PM

Nothing happened again in #4.  When are they going to meet some damn aliens?  This is like the TNG episodes where all they find is anomalies but they learn something personal about themselves because their dreams come alive or some shit.  Actually, that would improve the show. 
Or the SG:U crew could find the holo-deck....lol holz lolz
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 18, 2009, 08:47:31 PM

Or the Red Dwarf episode where they find they have been playing a stupid computer game badly the whole time... only to find that THAT was all a dream.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 18, 2009, 10:18:27 PM

I just got my hands on all of the "original" stargate seasons, appart from those ridicoulous helmets the original series has aged very well, IMHO.

As for SG:U, I still like it.  awesome, for real

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 19, 2009, 12:46:31 AM

I surrender, I can't not like anything that has Robert Carlyle in it.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 19, 2009, 01:50:58 PM

I surrender, I can't not like anything that has Robert Carlyle in it.
It's the accent, I think.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Stargate Universe  
Jump to: