Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:09:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Stargate Universe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stargate Universe  (Read 92329 times)
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

on: February 24, 2009, 10:28:59 AM

Anyone else looking forward to this?

I loved the Atlantis series but could never get into SG-1 despite trying several times. Not sure if this will be more like one or the other from what I am reading. Perhaps it is nothing like either.

------

Stargate Universe is an upcoming science fiction television series, part of the Stargate franchise. The series was greenlit on August 22, 2008 and is scheduled to debut as a two- or three-hour movie and then begin regular weekly airings on the Sci Fi Channel in Autumn 2009. Stargate Universe started filming on February 18, 2009.

Stargate Universe follows the adventures of a team of explorers from Earth, who find the Ancient spaceship Destiny and must fend for themselves aboard the ship in the far reaches of the universe as they are unable to return to Earth. The show will be firmly entrenched in pre-established Stargate mythology and take place during the present time.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:33:17 AM

Stargate: Voyager, eh?   swamp poop

I liked SG-1 well enough (although my interest started to wane once they finished with the Egyptian bad guys) but could never get into Atlantis.  I don't predict loving this either.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 10:40:13 AM

Stargate: Voyager, eh? 

Yarg, I was about to post the same damn thing.  If it's anything like the rest of the series, I'll probably start watching it in about 10 years.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:15:14 AM

I only started watching SG1 because Sky TV in the uk had it playing constantly every day from series 1 to 10, after watching it all, I much preferred it to Atlantis.  Richard Dean Anderson was the main reason I could sit through SG1, so with nothing really new in store, I suspect casting is going to be pretty important for Universe too.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:40:18 AM

I only started watching SG1 because Sky TV in the uk had it playing constantly every day from series 1 to 10

I noticed this during my last overseas visit.  What's up with that?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 11:53:30 AM

Sky One buys SF shows and plays the hell out of them, there was like 3 SG1 episodes on back to back every day.  A repeat on sky two, then all repeated over the weekend.  It's like having the dvd's, with a sky + box, kinda like your tivo box, you couldn't miss an episode.  In the early days of Sky one they had a lot of success showing Star Trek TNG every day, guess it's a continuation of that, Sky also helped fund BSG in the begining.

Robert Carlyle is in Universe so that's pretty good.  But what's up with this stuff about Universe being aimed at a younger audience?  SG1 wasn't exactly complicated.

linky

Howe said the new series will reinvigorate the franchise by targeting a younger audience.

"This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation," Howe said. "We really don't want to be more of the same. It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe."
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 12:03:18 PM

This must be a Canadian Film Board grant and tax credit money grab.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 06:16:33 PM

Begbie is in this?

I...

I may have to watch it now.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 06:20:58 PM

Stargate is on i believe at least 3-4 hours a day or at least was. Scifi plays the shit out of it. First few seasons of sg-1 are decent. Everything after that is crap. Plot is so convoluted i don't even know whats going on.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 10:26:16 PM

That's simple enough to explain. Every season of Stargate was the 'last' season.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:48:55 PM

Pretty much says it all right there.  I don't even know why they bother continuing to deal with Sci-Fi channel after dealing with their nonsense through both SG-1 and Atlantis.  I'm assuming it has to do with some outrageous deal made eons ago by people no longer even involved.  Sci-Fi channel is the standard-cable version of FOX.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 05:32:32 PM

Stargate: Universe NEW [HQ] Trailer 7/24/09

Meh, I don't think it's got much chance but I'll give it a watch, BSG without cylons.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 05:43:08 PM

That trailer is both interesting and very depressing at the same time, with a little bit of "what the fuck?" thrown in, what with that out of place looking kid.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 06:17:32 PM

Stargate the with a teenager? Fuck me.  cry
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 06:46:38 PM

Meh, I didn't think Stargate really needed a Voyager analogue. 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 06:54:00 PM

I generally enjoyed SG1; primarily because of Richard Dean Anderson and some of the verbal byplay. RDA tended to make most of the horrible episodes watchable. Didn't get into Atlantis nearly as much and largely stopped watching it after several of its 'wtf?' moments (Carson dying, sorta, the replacement whiny bitch and so on). Universe.. I doubt I'll like it. I like they seem to be going for a somewhat darker approach, but I doubt the writers can pull it off and some of the characters/gimmicks just seem pathetic and stupid, even for a pulp sci-fi show.

I'll give it a shot, though.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 07:32:54 PM

Nothing says Stargate in Stargate Universe according to the trailer. I mean I never really got into Atlantis, I didn't hate it, but felt more like watching the Andromeda season's 1-2 with less ships and more walking, which wasn't a problem but not all too stargaty if you ask me.  But this? Feels like generic scfi 101. Teenager who shouldn't really be there, check. Random shit, check. Premise that isn't all too interest, check...i mean really lost in space and not the "probably accidental resolves itself in a few hours" kind but the "you should be fucked by let me give you 200 episodes explaining why your really not" kind? 1/3 of the trailer was pg13 sex scenes...really? Is that really what comes to mind when you think of Stargate?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 03:06:52 AM

So, its the Voyager (stranded on the other side of the universe, instant conflict between Marquis Civilians and Military, with an added hateable teenager for the fun of it. Just great.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 03:09:05 AM by Tebonas »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 04:50:03 PM

Meh, I didn't think Stargate really needed a Voyager analogue. 
It could be a BSG analogue instead (and monkeys might fly out my butt)

Interesting trivium: Ron D Moore worked on ST: Voyager...for a few weeks. Then quit in disgust.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 05:15:29 PM

I'd have thought saying BSG without Cylons was a big enough clue but just to be clear I thought BSG and Voyager were both terrible.  It doesn't matter how well crafted episodes like 33 were, because Moore killed the story dead in the end.  All Star Trek after the original series was a waste of time because it was just different versions of Captain Smug in space (the recent film being the exception).  The only Star Trek episodes I thought showed a spark of interest were ones that altered the time line and showed a different federation without the incredibly annoying prime directive.  Stargate is just a different kind of terrible.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 05:30:43 PM

I'd have thought saying BSG without Cylons was a big enough clue but just to be clear I thought BSG and Voyager were both terrible.  It doesn't matter how well crafted episodes like 33 were, because Moore killed the story dead in the end.  All Star Trek after the original series was a waste of time because it was just different versions of Captain Smug in space (the recent film being the exception).  The only Star Trek episodes I thought showed a spark of interest were ones that altered the time line and showed a different federation without the incredibly annoying prime directive.  Stargate is just a different kind of terrible.

Lol you mean the movie had the original Captain Smug. I grew up on Stargate SG-1 so while I agree with you on Star Treck and BSG I can't say the same about Stargate. What attracted Stargate to me was that it simply wasn't as pretentious as the other 2. At the end of the day really good aim, lots of bullets, and brass balls generally solved most problems.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 11:32:05 PM

I honestly thought the trailer for this was going to be a spoof for the first 30 seconds or so. I'm not sure that that bodes well in terms of premise. Also yeah, Voyage wasn't a great series and I feel like BSG has done the whole 'spaceship on the run lightyears from home or help' thing. This seems a bit soon to revisit it.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 05:13:21 AM

Agreed, the whole premise seems too close to a host of other series to stand out.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 07:18:15 AM

I'm looking forward to it, but I doubt I'm going to enjoy it. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 07:43:11 AM

Lol you mean the movie had the original Captain Smug. I grew up on Stargate SG-1 so while I agree with you on Star Treck and BSG I can't say the same about Stargate. What attracted Stargate to me was that it simply wasn't as pretentious as the other 2. At the end of the day really good aim, lots of bullets, and brass balls generally solved most problems.

I liked the original captain smug, he just wanted to explore other planets so he could bang green alien chicks.  I agree about the pretentious thing, I liked that the main character in SG1 thought every bit of complicated science was basically down to magnets, it's stupid but a better type of stupid than a pretend complicated sounding reason for the holodeck breaking, yet again.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 05:08:26 AM

Only ever saw a couple episodes of the other series, so I don't have much in the way of expectations.  I enjoyed the first episode enough to want to keep watching and see what they're going to do with it.  Might not go anywhere, but it's not a horrible framework for a scifi series.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #26 on: October 03, 2009, 04:22:19 PM

Even by Stargate standards I thought this opening 2 part episode was painfully bad.

Just hoping Robert Carlyle can do something with it, interview here.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:21:21 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 03, 2009, 06:02:22 PM

That was the first Stargate show I've ever watched.  It's also the last.  This show is so poorly written and the actors seem to sleepwalk through their lines.
The concept is played out.  I just didn't see anything new here and the action hero military guy is a huge hypocrite for banging a subordinate and basically placing Major Young under house arrest.

I hate shows that generate drama by having two charcters take opposing views and just yell at each other no matter their previous convictions.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 07:36:25 PM

So I shouldn't be watching this? Oh gray gods of television let this be canceled.   
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 09:24:01 PM

Wow, Ming-Na is nearly 46. Her character looks about 30.

The premise has potential and I am an unshakeable Carlyle fan, but yeah the writing is TERRIBLE. The worst scene was the Senator's daughter's grieving about her father.

Quote from: Stargate Universe grief scene
Cheesy slow Dawson's Creek acoustic guitar music as spaceship flies along ...

Woman: Oh God. My Mom. He was her whole life. She probably thinks we're both dead.
Man: All I know is that he wanted you to go on.
Woman: I know.
Man: I gotta get back to the search. You gonna be OK?
Woman: I don't know.
Man: Fair enough.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 09:34:56 PM by Tale »
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 04, 2009, 04:46:55 AM

I've seen worse premieres.  But I've seen Voyager, and this looks worse even than that.  I'll watch next week just to see if things get better, then I am out.  And Eli reminds me of that really annoyin young guy from those movies (Sandberg?  something like that?)

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 04, 2009, 05:40:11 AM

Wow, Ming-Na is nearly 46. Her character looks about 30.

The premise has potential and I am an unshakeable Carlyle fan, but yeah the writing is TERRIBLE. The worst scene was the Senator's daughter's grieving about her father.

Quote from: Stargate Universe grief scene
Cheesy slow Dawson's Creek acoustic guitar music as spaceship flies along ...

Woman: Oh God. My Mom. He was her whole life. She probably thinks we're both dead.
Man: All I know is that he wanted you to go on.
Woman: I know.
Man: I gotta get back to the search. You gonna be OK?
Woman: I don't know.
Man: Fair enough.

Glad to see another Ming Na fan, man she's a beauty!    I'd jump through her Stargate.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 04, 2009, 02:40:29 PM

That was the first Stargate show I've ever watched.  It's also the last.  This show is so poorly written and the actors seem to sleepwalk through their lines.

Which is too bad, the original Stargate series was good precisely because it had good writing and the actors stayed true to their character regardless of what was currently happening.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 04, 2009, 03:20:04 PM

Bad, bad, bad, bad writing.

BUT...it has some good actors and one great actor, I didn't outright hate computer-game nerd, and the premise could spark some really good shows.  Even SG-1 was a total hamfest when it started out, but assuming the writing becomes better, the show could turn out to be quite good.  Writing, and being on that channel are its two biggest obstacles to overcome.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 03:22:59 PM by ahoythematey »
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 04, 2009, 03:34:07 PM

I love that Syfy did a press release saying it beat dollhouse by 400k viewers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Stargate Universe  
Jump to: