Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 09:56:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Adding Uberness to MMOs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adding Uberness to MMOs  (Read 19650 times)
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

on: February 19, 2009, 12:20:43 PM

I was reading the Tabula Rasa thread where due to the ending of the game, they are letting everyone become massively uber early with epic weapons, armor and 2000% xp gains. While I did not play TR after the first 30 days, I did experience the same thing when AC2 closed down (ah the eggs, still have finger cramps from all the clicking).

But it made me wonder why devs/studios do not make a game where you can become very powerful like this early in the game (perhaps not quit that easy, but very easy nonetheless).

Do not get me wrong, I understand the logic behind the proverbial dangling of a carrot, the longer you take to level and achieve the longer you stay subscribed. And there is also the problem of characters out pacing the content, so devs fall back on artificial speed bumps and long grinds to keep people in check. But

I will not argue against this model, but I have to think that there is a market for a game to let you become a badass very early in favor of another mechanic. I would hazard a guess that a not insignificant number of people sub to a game, play for a few months, realize they cannot keep up with the poopsockers and quit. How about a game that evens this out a bit while still providing end game challenges? Let me explain.

Warhammer would have been a great example of this, let the player level to max EASILY and get above average near epic quality gear early. WAR was never really designed as a PVE game like WOW so let the character breeze through those levels and get attached to the character. Now once you reach max PVE level (40 in WAR) then add tons of PVP mechanics and content to keep people playing. This could potentially rival the sub retention of the current treadmill model by making you INVESTED in your now legendary/epic character.

I mean are you not less likely to quit if you have a killer epic'd character? Plus when you get bored and take a break (like we all do) it is easy to come back and level a new character quickly to try a new class, new abilities, et al.

WOW is starting to see this to a degree but I am not sure WOW would be the perfect game for this mechanic. A super hero game that also emphasized PVP would do well with this model.

I just think that all MMO developers tend to follow the path of proven success and for good reason. However that does not mean that are not better ways to make game more enjoyable for the consumer while still protecting your sub base.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:39:46 PM

Like Guild Wars you mean?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:39:53 PM

Out of your 56 posts how many of them have been used to start threads?
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:46:13 PM

I have no idea, did I break some post/respond ratio unbeknownced to me? Please point me to that rule and I will do my best to maintain that ratio.

A better question would be, does answering this question in my own post count to lower said ratio?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I am no expert, but I would think that posting a longer thoughtout question on a subject that interests me and I believe others, would be reacted upon more favorably than responding to said post with an off topic question that seems to be targeted at causing drama.  swamp poop

But again I am no expert.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:53:58 PM

The perfect reply here.

Hats off to you.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 12:54:36 PM

Draegan is probably just pointing out that this is a discussion that's been hashed out many many times on many of these forums. It might also fit better under Game Design and Development.

But to answer your question of WHY... because most devs and the lead designer/producers who control them are unoriginal little shits still trying to recreate the perfect D&D game from when they were 12.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 12:55:08 PM

So is your intent to be max level quickly/not deal with level based systems, or to feel powerful?

Because the two are entirely separate on a design level.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 12:57:40 PM

If you're curious go search through the WAR threads, there was actually a serious discussion on it somewhere before MJ griefed us with his presence.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 01:42:47 PM

IIRC, people could reach the level cap of AC2 in a couple of weeks.

They got bored and quit.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 01:45:32 PM

For the sake of pedants everywhere: 8.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 02:01:37 PM

Sliding Scale.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 02:05:07 PM

They got bored and quit.

Incorrect... I played AC and then AC2 and the grind was horrible. Took me the better part of 5 months to reach level 50 (cap). I remember it as a hellish grind, at least as compared to most of today's MMOs.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 02:57:33 PM

When I used to play lineage 2 private (hacked, free) servers, there were quite a few that were very popular and had just this.  Uber weapons, 10000x xp/loot/etc drops.  It never really appealed to me, when I played l2 I would grind to the top, pvp for awhile, and then get bored and quit.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 03:19:53 PM

They got bored and quit.

Incorrect... I played AC and then AC2 and the grind was horrible. Took me the better part of 5 months to reach level 50 (cap). I remember it as a hellish grind, at least as compared to most of today's MMOs.

You were doing it wrong. 

Perching + buggy monster pathing + quest exploitation ftw.

-Rasix
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 03:29:00 PM

For the sake of pedants everywhere: 8.

meaningless if you don't also count the posts where he is responding to a post that he created.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 03:43:53 PM

It could be fasta. Tabula Rasa is a good example. I didn't even know there were different versions of the chaingun, pistol, etc... weapons until they started dropping as uber loot.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 03:45:05 PM

They got bored and quit.

I remember exploiting the shitty mob pathing, and hitting the cap in the first week or so after release. Those tyrants that got stuck on small bumps in the terrain were awesome.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 03:46:32 PM

You were doing it wrong. 

Perching + buggy monster pathing + quest exploitation ftw.

Don't forget the people who afk leveled using turrets.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 03:58:20 PM

Quote from: chargerrich
Stuff
Didn't UO do all of what you describe years and years ago? It wasn't that hard maxing your skills, and you could easily buy player-crafted armor-sets that were of equal quality of what 80% (*pulls random number out of a hat*) of the other players were wearing. It wasn't even all that hard to get hold of the super-duper accurate weapons of supreme player vanquishing, though most people would just keep them in the bank and use GM-quality player-crafted weapons.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 04:21:21 PM

I'm remembering UO as the game where everyone macroed to max skill level. Perhaps I was misled.

Rake
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 12:21:48 AM

They got bored and quit.

I think those first few weeks were the best that the game ever had. It was when they nurfed the hell out of chars that many decided to quit. I was more or less done when they scrubbed runcasting.

Being too powerful would get old eventually. But in a lot of games that overpowered feeling is what everyone is striving to reach.
Maybe if there is more to the game than just reaching a certain level of power then retention could be kept just by enjoying the fun.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 01:10:54 AM

I think you're all looking at this the wrong way.

The games like AC2 where people reached max level and quit due to boredom, lacked engaging endgames.

The games like EQ1 and WoW which people have played forever, had endgames that hooked people. EQ1 had a single endgame (catass raiding), WoW has multiple endgames (catass raiding, small team raiding, battlegrounds, endless questing, or endless trading - OK EQ1 had some of those, but the implementation sucked so for most it was raid or quit).

I quit EQ1 because I hated putting time into long, boring levels and flags every time an expansion came out, to qualify for the fun stuff. I quit WoW because Burning Crusade required me to grind long, boring keys etc, to qualify for the fun teamwork (I know that has changed, but my life has moved on).

I also quit SWG at the Combat Upgrade (CU) when they added a levelling grind to qualify for the good stuff, because I had been playing crafting for PvP as an endgame, and I now needed to spend ages re-qualifying for a lesser version of what I had already mastered. I didn't play UO,  but I gather it had the same kind of endgames as SWG (i.e. everything except catass raiding).

OF COURSE people quit if there's nothing to do after a quick levelling grind. But if WoW or EQ1 had ultra-fast levelling and then offered people the same long, complex endgames we know them for, what difference would it make? I think 90% of the time people have spent on those games came AFTER max level.

If there are complex, engaging endgame paths to follow, slow levelling is a useless annoyance.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:19:12 AM by Tale »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 05:31:37 AM

lacked engaging endgames.

Endgames are a flaw in the body of a game.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 05:39:00 AM

They got bored and quit.

They got bored and quit because the game had a) almost no end game content worth playing, b) what content it had was pretty lackluster, and c) the game had no replay value because so many of the class trees were borked.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 06:04:35 AM

Not that I ever played it, but from everything I heard Shadowbane would have been better off if there were no leveling at all. Same with WAR. If it's not a PVE game, why make them do PVE?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 07:05:58 AM

If there is no end game in an MMO the maximum amount of content is simply: length of time to reach max level X number of classes, and thats assuming people want to play every class.

Does not seem like a way to keep people around for years unless you can somehow pump out content at a truly miraculous rate.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 07:38:53 AM

If there is no end game in an MMO the maximum amount of content is simply: length of time to reach max level X number of classes, and thats assuming people want to play every class.

Does not seem like a way to keep people around for years unless you can somehow pump out content at a truly miraculous rate.
Hey, look there's a forest. Stop looking at the trees.

Maybe the problem is mmo has become a level-driven system that most people want to jet through as soon as possible to get to the end-game content? I've been playing EQ2 since launch and never come close to the end-game, and there's tons of content. Aren't there enough games following the tired old formula of grind asap to the cap and raid?

Of course, I actually read the quests and like exploring things without a map.

I'd say the problem is half the system, half the players.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 07:41:16 AM

Theres a small flaw with that plan.

I am the .00000001428%
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 07:44:28 AM

Ideally the 'end game' would start as soon as you'd finished the tutorial.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 07:49:03 AM

Nice! *adds to list*

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 08:35:20 AM

It's a pretty fucking simple concept: people tend to level grind like mad until the endgame, scarcely paying attention to the content.  When they reach the endgame, there isn't much content and what exists is a wall of cockblock.  Decrease the amount of game devoted to level grinding because people aren't paying attention anyways, and increase the amount of quality content where people are more likely to pay attention, then you can ease off the cockblock at the endgame because there is more content to exhaust.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 09:27:16 AM

It's a pretty fucking simple concept: people tend to level grind like mad until the endgame, scarcely paying attention to the content.  When they reach the endgame, there isn't much content and what exists is a wall of cockblock.  Decrease the amount of game devoted to level grinding because people aren't paying attention anyways, and increase the amount of quality content where people are more likely to pay attention, then you can ease off the cockblock at the endgame because there is more content to exhaust.

This would be lovely and make more sense in a lore-centric world, too.  Using WoW, you hear about the big threat of Darkmaster Gandling, but then wonder why the level 68 elite guards can't just go in and rape his ass.  He's only level 20.

If all mobs were at the same power curve, then you have whole swaths of lore to explore and each threat is still able to be seen as a threat, instead of "oh fuck I'll just outlevel this and come back to it."

I hope someone does it sometime, though I will miss my level grind.. something soothing about it. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 10:24:34 AM

Theres a small flaw with that plan.

That's everyone a few months after the game comes out anyway.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 11:09:32 AM

That seems to be the general thrust of most FATE-based games, as best I can tell. Spirit of the Century certainly works that way. You start at max level, with all your cool stuff.

What's the point otherwise?

Not sure that translates well into computer games, though. SotC is all about story and character.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 08:00:16 PM

The question is: if you take away leveling, what replaces it as a progression / reward structure? Players love ding gratz for a reason.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Adding Uberness to MMOs  
Jump to: