Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:26:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Estiah 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Estiah  (Read 126823 times)
Samprimary
Contributor

on: February 16, 2009, 12:40:19 AM

The Kingdom of Estiah! It ain't half bad, yo.

You fight using collected 'charms,' which are like cards in a deck you fill with offensive and defensive actions. At the beginning of each fight, your collected deck is shuffled and put into play. At first, you are a generic adventurer that uses very simple charms — mostly ones that do damage or absorb damage — but soon you start building up skills and gaining charms that combine effects and allow for specific targeting strategies. The charms you can use are dependent on what your stats have grown to. You grow your stats by gaining skills, and by signing up for a job once a day.

There's also a collection system and you can have a pet that can participate against other pets in races or fights. Pretty much everything you do feeds you with skills and levels.

I'unno give it a shot and see what you think.

www.estiah.com

and if you wanna be nice, when you sign up, use me as your mentor by using this link to sign up.

http://www.estiah.com/user/register/index/id/20038

If I mentor people (by getting them into the game, oh snap viral marketing) I get points in my mentoring skill every time they level. So you guys might want to coordinate mentoring so that most of you can have people giving you mentor points.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 12:25:08 PM

Dunno how long I'll stick with it, but I will say I like their style sheet. smiley

I made you my mentor Sam, so you'll at least get a few mentor points.  If anyone is interested, mine is:

http://www.estiah.com/user/register/index/id/20419

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 01:44:52 PM

This is good, more people should try this one.  I put you as a mentor Sam.

Questions:
-I did the first dungeon & a bunch of gathering.  What else should I do to get to L3 to make it to the next city.
-I saw that different skill raises give you various stat bonuses, should I start planning ahead to what stats I need for the tier3 class or is leveling slow enough that I dont need to worry that far ahead.
-Is there a maximum of saved up action points?  Do I need to reapply to the job every 24hrs?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:19:04 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 04:04:27 PM

I'm de-lurking to say that I'm giving it a try too. I set up two accounts (they allow it, just don't mentor yourself) and one is under Samprimary and the other was meant to be under Lantyssa, but I unfortunately forgot to come back to nab the link. It's engaging so far, the deck-building tactics seem to get fairly complicated at the upper reaches, but I trust it will continue to ease me into them as I progress.

Questions:
-I did the first dungeon & a bunch of gathering.  What else should I do to get to L3 to make it to the next city.
-I saw that different skill raises give you various stat bonuses, should I start planning ahead to what stats I need for the tier3 class or is leveling slow enough that I don't need to worry that far ahead.
-Is there a maximum of saved up action points?  Do I need to reapply to the job every 24hrs?
I believe there are 240 action points per day, and you can accumulate 1200 of them, five days' worth. But playing more regularly lets you take advantage of the resets to dungeons, pet races/fights, travel, and work.

Here are some useful tips for beginners from their forums, I quoted relevant section below. http://forum.estiah.com/index.php?topic=646.0

11. Hold off on gathering. Your fighting skills are more cost effective at low levels because you can gain skill in more than one at a time.  Later perhaps level 15-25 when you've earned a few gathering points from doing jobs it becomes more cost effective to invest in gathering.

15. There is NO WAY to screw up a character before Lvl 20, and even then it's only if you pick a class that doesn't lead to your T3 destination.
16.  Most people keep two main stats, and pick a 3rd to be their secondary stat.  The 4th should be more or less ignored.
17.  Start reviewing the class page around Lvl 10 and considering what T3 you want to work towards.  Once you pick one, you can choose a T1 class and figure out your stats.  The forums are a good place to pick up extra info on the classes and their strategies.

Hoax, you should post your link so people can pick you as a mentor. I'm posting mine here in case people want to chain these along.

http://www.estiah.com/user/register/index/id/20703
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 04:15:28 PM

http://www.estiah.com/user/register/index/id/20775

Here's mine.

Where am I supposed to be fighting at L2 until the first dungeon resets?  pvp?

I get it, spam arena 4tw, anyone found a link to the arena mobs and what they do so I can not waste points checking if I can beat something?  I wish I had recorded all the random fights I've failed at so I could review the decks they use.

I also created 3 alt accounts, because I forgot to assign the first one a mentor.  So Lant and Sev you both have a padawan.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:57:25 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 06:17:16 PM

There is a Wiki with useful info: http://estiah.aswt.net/index.php?title=Arena

The Arena is also a good place for this:
19.  Level up every single Battle skill as high as you can as soon as you can using specially designed arena decks.  While it will always be possible to make it up sometime later on, it's best to keep up with your skills.

For instance, I was able to master rank one of Spirituality by level 4 with decks designed to always kill my predictable low-level enemy with my very last charm (card).
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 09:18:16 PM

I'm going for a Shadow Knight, so I am focusing on Dex/Pow.  Right now it doesn't hurt to spread the points out a little, and in fact it lets you use more charms if you have your stats spread.

It is beneficial to master as many skills as you can.  There is no downside.  They'll help level you, but only the stat points from working jobs (nn/900) are limited.

Once I got a hang of things, I ran the Sewers for charms, items, and the renown skill.  Then I would move to one of the adjacent cities and do its dungeon for more.  Eversweep gives you a fire charm which focuses your next several attacks on one target, while Aleas gives a defensive armor/ward charm which focuses attacks on you.  Once you're strong enough you can do the Bunny quest there for some nice Yeti charms.  With my spare action points I would gather or play in the arena.  The other cities let you participate in PvP, too.  (No harm to losing other than lost action and a bruised ego.)

Jobs you have to manually train each day.  The selected one shows up on your character page for quick access.  You can switch even after training, you just cannot train again until the next day.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:19:52 PM by Lantyssa »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 09:37:10 PM

Another tactic I've just realized is that you want your default defense gear to contain your absolute best set up.  For dungeon and areana fights you want your gear selected to give you skills.  For gathering and hanging out in PvP cities, you don't get weapons skill ups, just the skills like Survival and Extreme Gathering, so having your best charms assigned lets you win those.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 03:37:44 AM

In the eternal quest to be different, I'm working up my stats differently than the primary/secondary/tertiary/ignore recommendation, and am instead going for primary/primary/secondary/secondary.

Also, I want to pick an hour each day where I'm sitting around someplace where people can get to me, and I'll switch my pvp defense deck to just 14 wards/armors, so anyone can kill me and get buku skills.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 12:25:38 PM

So I'm really getting into PvP now.  Lots of arena fights today.

I'm level 7.  My gear of choice focuses on magic damage, a few pieces of armor, and one ward and combo armor/ward.  I'm picking on level 8-9 people with low PvP rankings.  They lose nothing besides a bit of ego on the recent news, and if they win then they get Self-Defense skill.  Because their health pushes my deck to it's limits, and they're higher level, I'm skilling up Courage, a ton of other skills, and often Spirituality.  Also being higher level, it costs me 8-9 action instead of 10.

Edit: put in correct skill name
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:00:50 PM by Lantyssa »

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 02:30:32 PM

-I'm working my 4 characters through the sewer to get the +500g bonus
-Been grabbing the rat parts craftable item (+6/+6 def), missed those for awhile
-Raising spirituality versus the rat lord (just make a deck w/ 60 damage that will win on the last card)
-One of my characters got a hamster, which made me notice that fleas were pets too, I'm now enrolling in pet fights on all my characters
-I'm working towards a pure defense deck to just outlast the spirit of arena mobs and beat them even though they are higher level.  I need some better armor and/or wards before it'll work...

I'm going to send one account to the L3 city to check it out, keep the rest in noobville for an extra day.  Since I noticed there was a travel timer so I don't want to rush before I get the most out of the starting location.

I need to get my job timer so that it goes off pre-work hours instead of in the middle of the day, since I can't really play on a day we're busy.

-William Gibson
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 02:51:20 PM

You can do the dungeons in both cities if you have the action points by doing one before you move, then the other.  Then move back the next day.

Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 08:02:25 PM

I've found a reasonably reliable way to build Cheat Death, a tremendously valuable skill which grants another +1 Spirit as well as +5 HP.
Cheat Death = win with no charms left (Spirituality skill) and almost no HP (Survival skill) in the same battle.

Here's the battle: http://www.estiah.com/character/combat/replay/id/3131429/owner/20703 - you can watch it once logged into your own account.
Here's background on my opponent, the Old Goblin, level 5 in the Arena: http://estiah.aswt.net/index.php?title=Old_Goblin

Hint: From the Wiki you can see that the Old Goblin has 16 spells, 12 of them are melee hitting for either 9 or 10, and 4 are armor.
Hint: Your spells will always get through so you can determine exactly how many rounds it will take to kill him. Which tells you how many rounds he will have to attack you.
You should be able to work it out from there.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 08:45:57 PM

Why don't I get any skill ups from pvp while people who are L6 attack me at L4 and gain skill ups for winning?  wtfx

-William Gibson
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 09:08:00 PM

I've only won one battle where someone attacked me, and the majority of people I attacked were two levels above me.  Sometimes they got skill, but a lot of the time not.  So, I don't know.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 09:24:19 AM

I think you can't skirmish a person then attack them and gain skill, or something, so skirmish is basically only for testing out your armor ratios I guess.  My characters are coming along, I think you 3 should have gotten mentoring skill ups when they hit L7 today.  Its interesting to watch for how they are going to diverge into different strategies.

I'm currently running my pvp gear as a defensive deck on 3 of 4 guys.  Since Bunny Hood and Protect are so much better then any attack you can get at my level but once I build up some actions and farm some dust I'm going to Zeal on Sunday where the attack charms + pvp gear look tasty.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:29:24 AM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 01:01:42 PM

Yep, I got some points.  I'm at 51/100 for mentoring.

WORK HARDER NOOBLETS!

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 07:00:05 AM

Lantyssa is so mean =(

I am torn between leveling up and SITTING HERE FARMING PEOPLE 2 LEVELS HIGHER THAN I AM FOR THE NEXT WEEK!
It takes a bit of prep work but setting yourself up for reasonable pvp, but once you get there the game seems a bit easier.  (I say this at level 6 HEH).  I can use my pvp setup on offense and defense.  It is also working for farming Yeti!

Oh, in case anyone wants to be my young apprentice
http://www.estiah.com/user/register/index/id/2085
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 09:23:14 AM

You are learning quickly my young apprentice.  Your reaching level 7 has also been noted.  You will have full rations for another week.  (Gotta practice my Cruelty skill... can't be a Deathknight without it.)

I moved over to Eclis to check it out.  A couple of mid-40s are actually using me to practice their Cruelty skill.  I wish some people my own level would.  I want to get my Self-Defense up.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 03:05:32 PM

Funny thing about getting a good record in PVP.  Others will not want to attack you ;)

I may slow down leveling for awhile.  I want to see about more Yeti cloaks in Aleas and complete my Battle Claws collection.  Maybe pick up more bunny hoods.

Any consideration on F13 forming a guild?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 04:04:20 PM

Yeti Cloak and Bunny Hood are worth it, but honestly at this point you level so fast that I'm not sure its really a big deal.  OTOH, the Battle sets are win and farming enough dust 5x5x6 per charm set so it takes some doing.  I'm in Everclear with my characters at L7-8 eye'ing Zeal and its Goblin Tower where I can get some crafting components for decent charms and some good str8 charm drops.

-William Gibson
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 09:55:42 PM

I figure I'll try to get so good others want to try and knock me down a peg.  One for two tonight.  Aleas is a little more happening than Eclis for level 10s.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 12:08:01 PM

Want to amend my post, I only am sending 2 of 4 characters to Zeal, the drops/crafting isn't all that hot, esp not when compared to the joy of stomping other players for their shiny dust aka Battle set gear.

Basically I looked at my character's stat lines and decided if they could utilize the best of the loot you get from Goblin Tower I'd go.  But for the other two its going to be just dust farming and ap saving then the Cursed Forest, which has some great charms what with the introduction of DoT.

I can still pretty much cream 90%+ of anyone my level, but its getting harder to take out people who are +1L from me.  I've been cherry picking weak +2L players to try to level up courage and I always start by attacking the highest level to maximize my action point gain.

-William Gibson
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 07:54:56 AM

At level 9 I took a little break.  Being fairly busy for the last couple of days I moved a safe town, worked a job and decided to gather a bit with my big pool of points.  In my opinion the guide is a bit off on delaying gathering.  While it can take a bit more time and be less profitable it does have some advantages.  At this point I am really trying to focus on my 2 core attributes.  You can gain 2 skills that will give nice boosts to your primary.  Exploring (which happens at random) will eventually unlock precious spirit (already vital).  The downside is on occasion you run into trouble (a gang of players or single player) if you lose that fight you get nothing.  However, monster attacks yield a bit of gold and you get a gather item.  You can laugh it off, but I already crafted a level 13 item with a single market purchase.  With that I saved  good deal of money and have a jump start on another tier of play.

*edit* I forgot to mention.  Win or lose those random pvps do not go on record but you DO gain the pvp itemif you win!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:01:35 AM by Pezzle »
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 08:03:19 AM

There an F13 guild  yet?

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 08:09:14 AM

Hint:  Skip the fuck out of the Goblin Tower, do get free items/gold from Cursed Forest.  Its very easy to just slap together an auto win deck in the forest and the drops & craftable charms from Goblin Tower are pretty poorly designed, I may end up only really getting 1 Spiritual Shield (2x armor +1 spirit) and a handful of the +15 to next cards after running it 6 times.

Hint:  Get +6 stat jobs.  They are better then +5 stat jobs.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If I were to do it again I would focus on pvp and pick up every battle set I can use instead of doing Goblin Tower, make sure you grab 2+ battle shields and then do Cursed Forest when I hit L9.

We don't have a f13 guild yet, I don't think we have that many people playing though.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:42:42 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 08:24:02 AM

No.  Guilds take big cash and items to get started.  I think there is a level requirement as well?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 01:51:10 PM

Level 20 and 5000gp.

I like the +15 Boost (only gotten two magic boosts, not the melee) from the Tower, however the Cursed Forest drops some really nice charms.  I'm going to hop between Aleas and Lumina for a few days collecting those I think.

I got my Balance skill maxed by building a deck of 8 offensive, 9 defensive, and 4 support (defensive) cards and fighting the level 10 arena fighter.  He couldn't kill me, and though he did more damage, he only has 20 cards, so he always lost.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 05:20:01 PM

It is getting more difficult to boost variety skills now.  I *just* picked up my first axe.  I still have no holy.  Amazingly enough I picked up several points in recklessness on pvp duels (mind you my deck has reasonable defense!).  Gotta work on balance.  I also have to figure out tactician. 

Amusingly I was trying to farm up dust for a few more high defense items and started scoring fragments.  Now, I am not willing to spend 100 gold to get 2 dust, so that was annoying.  Scored what I needed though (and fragments for items already).  The final cursed forest fight beat me my first time.  I had to strip all my defense, but I won.  FARM MODE ENGAGED!
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 07:03:27 PM

Do you only need to max a skill once?  There is a rank number next to the skill but once I've mastered it I can't see how to progress to the next rank.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 07:13:31 PM

Many skills unlock rank 2 at level 10.  3 at 20, etc.  Skills with fewer ranks unlock at higher levels.  There may be some which unlock earlier, but the wiki isn't very comprehensive.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 07:46:41 AM

Somebody actually beat two of my decks in pvp using a 100% battle charm deck versus my decks which never lose to equal levels..  I'm going to dedicate much more time to researching how valuable a dungeon really is and otherwise skipping and farming players.  My pvp ratings are all close to 1600 as is so nobody ever fights me who doesn't think/know they are the shit.

For example, I'm going to pretty much bypass the L10 Battle Tournament except for with my Int/Dex character because he can readily use the best two charms Thundercall & Lightning Reflexes.  PvP for my other guys.

-William Gibson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 08:37:57 AM

Lant, I used you as a mentor yesterday.  I found out a couple of days ago that another name for a red panda is a bearcat, and I have a large shaggy cat that I call Bearcat, so that's my name.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 06, 2009, 08:22:57 AM

I'm finding the key to battle is to build a deck that's uses the combined ward/defense charms than separate armors and glyphs. I'd recommend running holy square to get 5 protects and then Bunny Hunting dungeon to try to get the yeti fur cloak.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 09:25:15 AM

For general combat I agree about the protective charms.  If you know your opponent only uses magic or melee, then the armor and ward charms are more effective.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Estiah  
Jump to: