Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: DCSS: The Adventures of Happy Hedonist, or The Spriggans Crusade 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DCSS: The Adventures of Happy Hedonist, or The Spriggans Crusade  (Read 73530 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #105 on: April 15, 2009, 11:51:02 AM

Find a 2-Hander of Holy Wrath, huge axe of sorts and start pumping all your enchant weapons into it. If you are ever banished to the Abyss or when you start with Hell/tombs and stuff they are nice.

Nice run man, keep it up!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: September 03, 2010, 07:51:03 AM

Died at the end. Fuckin' shit.

Fucked up and left my sustenance ring on. Food was a problem as I was made into a herbivore by mutations. GRR. Teleportitis killed me as well, cause I had to wear a amulet of stasis to not get ported to my death.

End of this game is a bitch. Fuck.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 07:57:08 AM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: September 26, 2010, 08:45:37 PM

Ah the lowly smoke demon.  Killed my best run too.

Why don't you try our other games?
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: April 04, 2011, 07:39:47 PM

Started playing this again.  Still going the High Elf Wizard route.  Swiss army approach ftw.

I dislike Ice Dragons.  That is all.

No it isn't.  I hit you, you bastard, with a flaming sword +6/+6, when you were "almost dead".  You were supposed to die, not me!

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: April 19, 2011, 12:44:22 PM

My last run, got up to Level 12, down to D11, Lair3 and died on Orc 4.  Never found a book.  Never found a decent weapon.  Never found any decent armor I could use (amazing scale mail, but couldn't use it)  Was killing everything with Mephitic cloud and a billion magic Darts.  5 Warrior and 1 Warlord was waiting on Orc 4.

This run I already found a book STORE!  Score!!!  Orc mines were full of cash too, got almost 1k.  No super great equipment yet though, and almost no scrolls.  I only found 2 remove cuirse and already had to burn one (down to D8).  It's very worrying.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: April 23, 2011, 08:59:52 AM

Somebody start playing this with me.

Current run is going well, good chance of becoming epic.  Books out the ass.  I have a line of spells waiting for spell levels.  Next up is Freezing Cloud, then probably Fireball, or maybe Haste or Invis, or teleport self, or Abjuration...  I need more spell levels.  Lots of spell levels.

Orb of Destruction is amazing and very fun.  Coat the dungeon walls with the blood and chunks of your enemies.  Can almost one-shot a hill giant.

Still way short on Jewelry, but only cleared Lair and Orc so far.  Still haven't found the Hive, but it will be cake as soon as I do.  No Shoals this game, snake and swamp which shouldn't be too bad.  I'll do them after Hive and Elf.  Hope I find some decent artifacts soon.

Still only 1 shop, but it was Books after all, so I guess I can't complain.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: April 28, 2011, 12:17:55 PM

I shall continue talking to myself.

I died.  I'm sure that's no surprise to anyone.  Some named guardian serpent slept me and beat me to death in my dreams.  The swamp sure is harder than it used to be.

The next decent game was not kind in items.  I had ac7 in Lair3 and took a few too many slight risks.  I had an amulet of Gourmand too.  sigh.

This game is not being kind in items either.  I have 10ac but no spellbooks yet and Sif hasn't been kind enough to give me one, but I'm almost there...  so what do I have to deal with?  I go into lair, and there's a 7hydra waiting on l1.  I have magic dart and wands of frost/flame, I can't deal with that... so I go to Orc, and there's a Sorcerer on level 1  Argh.  I can't deal with that either, so I'm stuck confusing cyclops and spamming magic dart in the dungeon... I doubt I'll last much longer, but maybe I'll get a book from Sif, and maybe it won't be the book of annihilations or stalking or transmuting or some other useless crap...  Maybe also pigs will fly out of my ass and kill all the monsters for me...

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: April 28, 2011, 12:33:24 PM

I died down in the last room. Haven't got myself to roll another guy since.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: April 28, 2011, 01:14:38 PM

What was it that you got there with?  Some form of Berserker IIRC?

The game is harder now too, significantly so.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: April 28, 2011, 03:29:30 PM

I'm trying to come up with a character worth posting about, but I suck and usually die to something mundane at level 8. Maybe I need to stop obsessively playing kobolds.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: April 28, 2011, 05:01:19 PM

Heh.  Hope that's no crime.  I'm obsessively playing High Elf Wizards.  Every now and then I'll do a something of Xom for fun.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: April 28, 2011, 07:46:46 PM

Arrgh.

So, my favorite thing to play is KoTm. I don't play it like a proper transmuter; I actually skip all the form-changing spells (except for spider form, which I use as a poor man's swiftness) and just abuse evaporation to blow away everything in the early game. By mid game, most things dangerous enough to use a potion on are resistant to either magic effects or poison, either of which pretty much renders evaporation useless. So it's basically up to my god to allow me to deal with undead, jellies, etc. I'm still figuring out what works best - Kiku is great but still leaves me no recourse against demons; Okawaru and Vehumet take a long time to give me anything good; I haven't tried the more utility-based gods like Chei and Fedhas but I doubt they'll provide the punch I need.

Of course, sometimes a KoTm comes together just right and actually manages to cover all the bases. These are the memorable ones. They don't die due to monsters; they can handle pretty much anything the dungeon throws at them. No, these characters die to the most latent, aggravating weakness the combo has: its low carrying capacity.

See, as a Tm you're constantly distilling corpses into potions; you don't think of potions as being very heavy but they add up, 4 aum at a time. I don't like to have less than a dozen of each of the common ones (poison, confusion) so I'm constantly trying to decide what I can stand dropping to avoid being encumbered. Get an armor upgrade? Looks like I'll have to leave my spare weapon behind. Find a wand of teleport? This spellbook can stay on the floor til I need it next.

Of course, sometimes I fuck it up. This latest one made it to level 11 before I accidentally left myself encumbered while diving through two or three levels of hostile monsters looking for a good choke point. And encumbered is not a good thing to be when you're level 11 and running away from a large slime creature.

Ah well. Experienced the labyrinth for the first time, so at least I learned how that works. I'm considering just putting every point into str on my next character but a short blade/caster hybrid putting points into strength is just a little too dissonant for me.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: April 28, 2011, 09:05:13 PM

Hell, I don't know.  I like Freezing Cloud.  That kills things good.  Also Poison Cloud. 

But I guess if you were going that route you wouldn't be a Kobold, and you wouldn't be a Transmuter.

Is Dragon Form any good?

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: April 28, 2011, 10:27:16 PM

I'll see if I can get Vehumet to give me some ice stuff sometime, this was my first decent game worshipping him.

Never gotten high enough for Dragon Form. Like I said, I suck.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: May 06, 2011, 09:53:49 AM

Dragon form is L8 apparently, I've never cast a L8 spell either.

I'm doing ok this game, I've been focusing lots of xp on fighting and have over 100hp at lvl18 with a high elf.

Cleared out snake with ease with freezing cloud.  Lots and lots of freezing cloud.  Just cleared Elf the same way, but man can that place get hairy.  Damn sorcerers and demonologists summoning fiends and executioners really make life interesting, but they all died eventually, even the damn sorcerer wearing armor of cold/poison/elec resist.  He was a pain, I had to run from him twice before I finally got him to sit on a conjured flame and roast to death. 

Control Teleport with blink is amazing.  That is all.

I'm thinking Vaults next maybe, or I might try Shoals, I've never been there before.  Here's hoping that death isn't right around the corner.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: May 10, 2011, 09:16:33 PM

Vaults are now clear.  Waiting for me at V8 was 24 vault guards, 5 stone giants, 2 storm dragons, a bone dragon, a half a dozen shapeshifters, a high orc priest who only raised dead once and smited me once, thank god.  Various yakaurs and random trolls were there too, all that within a dozen turns of my descending the stairs.  It was interesting.  Fought my first lich in one of the vaults too, those things love to spam Balrug and other super nasties.  I machine gunned him down and ran like hell.

Got a few spellbooks for my trouble, but no randarts that were amazing enough to use.  Boots of levitaition which levitate forever, very nice but not extremely helpful.  I think that means I do Shoals next though, levitation forever there will probably be extra special nice.  Wish I could do Swamp, but don't have that option.  Maybe could do Tomb instead but not sure I have access to dispel undead yet...

Here's hoping that death is not right around the corner...

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: May 10, 2011, 11:31:52 PM

Ok, so there was really nothing to fear in the Shoals.  Everything died to Poison Cloud, even the Kraken.  Got some halfway decent C++ gloves and my third rune, some other random junk too.

Hrm... wonder what I do now?  Slime terrifies me, and I'm not too set up for fighting legions of undead...they don't care so much about freezing and poison cloud...

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: May 11, 2011, 07:47:09 AM

So I'm wandering through the dungeon and come across a structure, a clear glass cage full of death yaks.  I naturally give them a frozen surprise and they all die.  Then I teleport inside and inside the vaults is a meat freezer with automatic frozen cloud generation!  There must be a twisted Micky D's down here somewhere...

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: May 17, 2011, 08:15:52 PM

The Slime Pits suck.  I'm not going there until I have decent artefacts and can afford to cast Dig 9 bajillion times to keep the walls from beating the crap outta me.  Crypt is much more doable, liches and all.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: May 18, 2011, 08:41:45 AM

Fell through a shaft down to Crypt5.  Took forever to find the stairs, waded through tons of hell knights, bone dragons and other fun.  Finally did find the stairs and then tackled the end vault.  Killed 1 lich, lured away the other and the ancient lich.  What was in the vault that they were guarding?  A somewhat decent quarterstaff, 2 scrolls, some gold and some barely magical junk.  sigh.  You'd think an ancient lich would have more to show for all his years.

Guess I'll work on the regular dungeon for a while, really not looking forward to doing the slime pits.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 18, 2011, 10:31:46 PM

Sif was nice enough to gift me a book with Orb of Destruction in it, so now I'm a death machine again.

and down on level 22 of the dungeon what do I find but a bookstore with Book of Annihilations inside, now I don't have to worry about where to get that.

Figured that while I was clearing the basic dungeon it was a good time to switch gods, went with Kiku for the torment resistance and corpse granting abilities.  Sif's wrath is somewhat of a pain.  I've already gotten 4 bad mutations from her forced miscasts and she paralyzed me in the middle of a largish fight.  Fortunately I had already freezing clouded everything, but it still was not good.  I have the feeling I've got a long way to go with it too, maybe I'll burn some permanent food and wait it out for a while.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: May 24, 2011, 10:12:35 AM

Slime pits are clear down to level 5, but Sif Muna still hasn't made peace with me, and the miscasts and punishments are plenty bad enough to get me killed if they happen while fighting the Royal Jelly.

Base dungeon is completely clear.  Lots of portals to Zot on the bottom level.  First time I've done that.  Only branches left are Slime, Crypt, Hell, Pan and the Abyss.  Everything else is picked clean.

Burned all my scrolls of acquirement looking for a decent weapon.  I got a -2-1 triple sword of flaming Ev+3, a sling of frost ev+3 rpois and a TRIDENT OF REACHING!  sigh.  My best randart weapon is the Singing Sword (+7 +7).  No art boots or helmet or shield.  My armor is a leather +4 +lev.  Armor is a problem for me.

Sif Muna needs to stop being mad at me.  It really sucks.  I only have 1 cure mut potion left, had to burn my other one when I got to moderately glowing from sif's miscasts and a bunch of bad mutations got through my resist mutation pendant.

I've got 3 piety stars with Kiku but they'll be gone if I have to wait out the rest of Sif's wrath, and the only other reasonably safe place to go is Crypt and Kiku doesn't give piety for killing undead.

Things are sub optimal.  Maybe I should go wander in the abyss.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: May 24, 2011, 04:07:51 PM

Currently working on a KoTr that's had an excellent start. Was going to go Kiku and spellcasting heavy, but I found a dagger of speed on D:2 and a corrupted Temple on D:4 full of altars to Lugonu (I guess this is a new thing in 0.8, which I just upgraded to recently). I've never taken a Lugonu character far, so I decided to go that route and see where it took me.

The dungeon made up for the early weapon and temple by throwing all sorts of uniques, orc bands, and demons at me at inconvenient times - I think I had to leave three consecutive levels to be cleared later - but I actually managed to survive it all to the first couple branches. Lair was full of hard-to-kill snails and poisonous snakes and frogs, so I decided to go orc until I could get the money to buy some better gear. Orc, of course, had Kirke waiting for me, so I just had to leave and scrounge up the gold from the main dungeon.

Now I have an rPois cloak, daggers of speed and venom, and sabers of distortion (thanks, Lucy! And thank you, amulet of faith!) and holy wrath. Only real mishap so far has been -1 dex thanks to magical radiation from a distortion unwield. And I just found a +4 robe of Night {+Inv MR sInv Stlth++} in Lair:5. So I guess I might be ready to try Snake. I say "guess" and "might" because I've never done snake. So I will probably die in the first 50 turns.

Here goes.

edit: Never mind. Gave up on Snake after some unique roughed me up a bit too much, went on with the main dungeon until I underestimated a dragon and his friends. Forgot that spider form removed my rF++. Got burned to death waiting for a teleport to kick in.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:40:11 PM by ezrast »
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: May 24, 2011, 09:00:20 PM

Sorry to hear that man.  Nice robe tho.
Snake really isn't that bad if you can reliably kill trolls and have poison resist.  Must have poison resist tho.  It's easy to line up the nagas in there so bolt spells/wands do wonders.

I'm still soldiering on, decided to try and clear the last level of Slime.

Eat pink bowling balls you gelatinous bastard!

Last level of slime hasn't been so bad.  Acid blobs are a bit scary but I can handle them.  Azure jellies aren't bad with 3 levels of cold resist, and everything else is just fodder.  Now that I've got the Royal Jelly almost dead he runs whenever he sees me, just have to clean up the rest of the stuff and get one more whack on him and the treasure is all mine!!! Hope there's at least something decent in there...

Ed:  Finished the level off...

Only thing useful was an amulet of controlled flight, see invis which replaced my amulet of controlled flight... whee.

Went and cleared the vestibule of Hell.  Geryon was a decent challenge.  I really don't want to play around in Hell too much more though, so I guess I go to Xot and do the first few levels now...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:17:32 PM by grebo »

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: May 25, 2011, 06:44:18 AM

First 2 levels of Zot are clear.  Storm dragons are easy for me now and there's nothing else there really that's much of a challenge.  Found a somewhat decent ringmail randart (+2, ev+6, Str+3).  I'd use it except it hurts my castings slightly and I'm working towards firestorm.  Without any items of wizardry I can cast it at (bad).  Progress!

Sif Muna is still mad at me.  Today she damaged my brain.

Ed:  Had to chop off a bunch of history because apparently there is a post limit size.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:50:02 AM by grebo »

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: May 25, 2011, 09:50:46 PM

Level 3 of Zot is mostly clear.  Orbs of fire really suck.  I've never been happier that my Resist Mutation necklace also has RF++.  Electric golems also pretty much suck.  Everything eats pink bowling balls until it dies, then I fill up the magic meter with dragon bits or just my own body and cast regen.  I love regen.

I fought 2 storm dragons and an ice dragon at the same time and it was much easier than one stinking orb of fire.  Those things are a menace, but so far only mutated me once with a fast metabolism.  At least there are lots of dragons to eat around there.

Sif is still mad at me, still causing the occasional miscast.  I really hope that ends soon, it could be very bad.

I've got 5 piety stars with Kiku now, soon I will get necromutation and won't have to worry about mutating anymore.  I'd much rather rely on my 30 healing potions than my 1 cure mutation.  I wish there was someplace safer I could go to gain piety, maybe I'll take a look at Dis or Gehenna.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: May 26, 2011, 08:56:06 AM

Stepped on a Zot trap while clearing the Hell vestibule and got tossed into the Abyss.  Wandered around in there for a while, picked up a frail mutation and a bit of rotting.  Slaughtered a lot of demons and whatnot, except for the Ancient Lich and the Pit Fiend.  I left them alone.  Got my 5th piety star briefly but lost it again, need to gain it back so I can get the necro book with Necromutation in it.  Running out of places to kill things, it's either Hell or Zot now, not even sure which is better.  Probably will go to Genehha and see how bad it is.  Need to get Necromutation running so I can stop worrying about bad mutations.

E2a:

Oh Hell Yes!  This is holding a staff of Wizardry, but almost there!  And hunger is only a Strawberry!  I'll be blowing shit up for serious!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:03:27 AM by grebo »

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: May 28, 2011, 09:40:34 AM

Zot 3 is clear.  Cocytus is clear and the icy rune is mine.  Antaeus took plenty of firestorms to take down.  I now have the Necronomicon but must work on my transmutation as I can only cast Necromutation at bad.  Dumping all xp from Zot4 into Transmutation and hopefully I can get my success to fair.

I am now at the point where I either go for the orb, go to Gehenna, or go to Pan.  The orb actually seems like it might be the best option now even though I don't quite feel ready... but I probably never will.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: May 28, 2011, 07:46:26 PM

I've been working on the orb chamber/all the live long day... it's seriously slow going.  Go in, maybe I'll see some draconians and firestorm their asses, or maybe I'll see an orb of fire or an electric golem or an ancient lich and have to retreat a bit and deal with it, then regen mana, maybe request corpses from kiku and animate them after I chop up some for mana food.  Zombies come in handy for distracting things while I get set up to blast everything, also for getting in the way of orbs from ancient liches.  Also butterflies.

Necromutation is very nice.  Having complete Fire/Cold/Neg resists comes in very handy.

Had a seriously close call involving an electric golem spawning outside the orb vault.  I firestormed it twice hoping it would die, it didn't, I was all out of mana and had no good options at all for hurting it.  It kept throwing lightning, whittling me down until luckily it blinked away and I was able to regen enough for one more firestorm.  Serious nailbiter that was.

Hope I don't die.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: May 29, 2011, 09:00:59 AM

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: May 30, 2011, 01:27:19 AM

Grats!
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: May 30, 2011, 09:45:09 PM

Thx!  Sure took long enough.

Found these "cherry picked bad ideas" on the main Crawl site.  Amazing hilarity after much crawling.

CDO Sigmund gets his own Twitter feed for each kill.
A unique boring beetle called Ringo.
Spriggans can wear gloves as body armor.

and many other genius ones

Xilren's Twin

Reply #137 on: December 27, 2012, 03:14:47 AM

Rise from your temporary grave!  Temporary b/c i keep dying over and over but it's a fun time waster when needed on a low end computer.
General pattern is to either die on levels 1 or 2, or make it to level 10ish and die in the orc mines. Last run was my best so far but still got smoked by a named lich in the shoals (my first time there).  Made it to level 14 as a mino zerker, had several artifacts and my +8 Plate Mail.  I am not looking forward to meeting this ghost.  Still dont know how to get a caster high enough to cast the good stuff.  I seriously doubt i will ever "win" at this game.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: December 27, 2012, 12:58:22 PM

Oh, forgot to post here but beat this a while back. Think I posted about it in PC gaming....

Demonspawn Monk...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:00:45 PM by Slayerik »

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: December 27, 2012, 12:59:26 PM

In search of a amulet of resist mutation I decided to head back and clear the Elven Halls, where I stumbled upon an Adamantium blade. Turned out to be a +13, +13  sword of Pain that prevents casting. Who needs casting with a +13 FUCKIN SWORD WOOOOO. Cleared slime to level up long sword for the Zot run. GG fuckers.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: DCSS: The Adventures of Happy Hedonist, or The Spriggans Crusade  
Jump to: