Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:45:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Resubbed - damn it's well done 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Resubbed - damn it's well done  (Read 106972 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #350 on: September 08, 2009, 01:46:00 PM

Quest greens are useless and the numbers of BoE greens I get are fairly minimal.  Since I return to a place with an auction house maybe once a level, it's just not worth the hassle.

You could always mail it to an alt you have at a city with an AH.  Or mail them to someone who can DE them.  wink

Yah, I love having a character that can crush greens.  Unfortunately I chew through infinite dust like it's candy.

-Rasix
OcellotJenkins
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: September 08, 2009, 01:52:56 PM

Quest greens are useless and the numbers of BoE greens I get are fairly minimal.  Since I return to a place with an auction house maybe once a level, it's just not worth the hassle.

You could always mail it to an alt you have at a city with an AH.  Or mail them to someone who can DE them.  wink

Those level 40-70 dusts are going for a ton of money.  I'm embarrassed to say what I spent recently grinding up enchanting on an alt.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: September 08, 2009, 01:58:59 PM

Fiiiiine.  I'll mail them and we can split any profit, since I do still need some gold and I'm terrible at asking for assistance and hand-outs.  I'll also be bugging you for enchants once I get level 80 gear. tongue

Crisis averted?  Can people stop recoiling in horror?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #353 on: September 08, 2009, 02:00:43 PM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: September 08, 2009, 02:37:28 PM

Geezus.  I'm going to get hate tells when I log in tonight.  Wonder if I'll even have a guild anymore.  Cry

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: September 08, 2009, 02:43:40 PM

Geezus.  I'm going to get hate tells when I log in tonight.  Wonder if I'll even have a guild anymore.  Cry

Come join me.  We'll get along famously!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: September 08, 2009, 03:32:02 PM

Heh.  I'm not starting on yet another server.  (Plus I enjoy their company in gchat.  [Maybe in instances soon, too!])

I doubt they'll throw me out.  Tease me mercilessly, certainly, but they'll use any excuse for that anyways. Grin

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: September 08, 2009, 03:33:44 PM

I'd go there, but I doubt they'd tolerate an impatient old man. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: September 08, 2009, 04:25:51 PM

You've described roughly a 3rd of the guild.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #359 on: September 08, 2009, 05:14:17 PM

Additionally, the initial inaccesibility of Dalaran is a real problem.  

You have an 80. The 1k for the cold weather flying book is the best 1k you ever spend for that alt.   Granted, this wasn't possible until recently, but that's why I no longer level-up alts until things ease out.   I learned after BC that things will get easier for alts as time goes on.  This has proved exponentially so in LK.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #360 on: September 08, 2009, 05:19:27 PM

You've described roughly a 3rd of the guild.

We have some impatient old ladies too.

OK one.

Me. :(

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: September 08, 2009, 06:23:55 PM

We've had to pause a raid because one of our guys had to literally chase the kids of his lawn.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: September 08, 2009, 06:49:40 PM

If a green can't be mailed (soul bound quest rewards) then I vendor it ;-)  I always DE everything else.  I don't even bother with the AH as it is so hit and miss with greens and blues (although people still pay stupid money for the BoE blues from Scholo and Strat).  Now ore and herbs, I made about 1700G just leveling my DK's gathering skills up and I'm only at 325 in each.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: September 08, 2009, 06:50:07 PM

At a guess, I'd say the median age is near 30.

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: September 08, 2009, 07:56:28 PM

I was mostly going on about DEing greens.  Lots of money in Enchanting mats, plus, you'l probably need them yourself.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: December 15, 2010, 09:49:35 AM

Sooo... I'm bumping this back up because I have resubbed to check out Cataclysm. I have no high level chars and am probably going to start a new char from scratch.

Biggest thing I'm wondering about is if there is any "must have" addons. I'm most going to be going it alone, with the odd PUG to do lower level instances so I definitely won't need anything complicated.

tips? tricks? dire warnings?

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Rasix

Reply #366 on: December 15, 2010, 10:06:34 AM

Sooo... I'm bumping this back up because I have resubbed to check out Cataclysm. I have no high level chars and am probably going to start a new char from scratch.

Biggest thing I'm wondering about is if there is any "must have" addons. I'm most going to be going it alone, with the odd PUG to do lower level instances so I definitely won't need anything complicated.

Well, when I started Cat, I decided to redo my UI and just do what's needed to level.

Needed (for me):
Shadowed Unit Frames - really simple, clean unit frames.  Easy to set up.  I just don't like the default positioning or look of Blizzard unit frames.
Dominos - Button bars.  Any button bar mod would likely do. I like Dominos.  Never had any problems with it.
Bagnon - Turns your bag into on giant bag.  Lets you see combined cash among all characters.  It's a must have for me now.
CooldownCount - Just adds cooldown timers to your buttons.

Optional:
Quartz - replacement cast bar.  I just like the look better.
MSBT - Mik scrolling battle text.  Default scrolling battle text from Blizzard would just be fine.

If I was running a healer or doing dungeons where I'm trying to optimize my DPS, I might add a few things like:
Some sort of buff bar replacement as the default positioning from Blizzard is a bit hard to read.  Likely Satrina's Buff Frames (bitch to set up).
Something to better track my procs and debuffs on mobs. Like ClassTimer and/or NeedToKnow.
Something like Recount to track my DPS.
Grid + Clique for a good healing UI.

But as I'm not really doing anything competitive, I'd be just fine with a unit frame mod, a bar mod, a bag mod and a cooldown mod for my button bar.  

-Rasix
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:11 AM

Omen, if you're DPS or Tanking (can set it to turn on only when in a group to save space)
Auctioneer, if you sell stuff regularly.
DBM for friendly pointers in dungeons.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: December 15, 2010, 10:39:43 AM

The base UI has gotten really really good over the years so you could easily play with very few.  I'd only list six as essential, and even then only for certain classes:

• A new cast bar: Quartz.  The only one I consider truly essential if you're playing a caster.  The default cast bar is dreadful.  I just use it for that and leave the buff tracking stuff to other mods.
  • A damage meter: Recount or Skada.  A damage meter is often used to just poorly flex someone's epeen, but it's still damn useful and not at all a part of the base UI.  Recount's more all-in-one and a bit more user-friendly while Skada lets you axe the bits you aren't using to save resources.  I just use Recount because I have for ages.
  • A cooldown timer for your action bars: OmniCC.  I don't find the default cooldown model terribly useful, especially for long cooldowns so this adds numbers and is quite customizable.
  • A thing that makes your buttons red when you're out of range: tullaRange.  Something that most people forget about if they're using a bar mod as that usually handles this sort of thing already.
  • A coordinates mod: TomTom.  The only non-combat one here, but you're going to get directions sometimes in map coordinates and you'll need this.
  • WitchHunt.  I play on a PvP server and would cry my head off if this ever broke.  Lets you know when an enemy gains buffs or starts casting and what not.  Very customizable and unobtrusive when you don't need it and absolutely essential when you do.

I use a ton of other mods, either to collect information or just display it differently, but those are the only ones that I'd really be at a loss without.  (Well, life without Altoholic would be a giant pain in the ass, but I played LOTRO without it awesome, for real.)

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #369 on: December 15, 2010, 10:48:23 AM

If you're not a tank or healer you probably don't NEED any.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Rasix

Reply #370 on: December 15, 2010, 10:53:03 AM

With a large monitor (not sure this caveat even matters), it's very difficult to train my eye to keep track of the action and look in the upper level hand corner to view my  hp and mana/focus/energy.

Everything else for me is just ease of use improvements.  I don't like being annoyed with a UI when I'm playing a game and this is very easy to remedy in WoW.  So why not do it and save the sanctimonious, luddite groanings for another time?

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #371 on: December 15, 2010, 11:00:45 AM

Quartz is nigh essential for anyone with a cast bar because of the latency display, imo. Beyond that I only use informational mods at this point, the default UI has picked up almost everything I used mods for other than stuff like recount. I do still use Omen rather than the default threat stuff which is a little opaque.

We'll see, maybe I'll go back to using Grid once I start raiding again, I haven't had a chance to really kick the tires on the new default raid frames.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: December 15, 2010, 11:23:24 AM

We'll see, maybe I'll go back to using Grid once I start raiding again, I haven't had a chance to really kick the tires on the new default raid frames.

You can set them as your party frames as well if you're running dungeons and the like.  If I could get the debuff's spell icon over the frame instead of their little type icons I'd have dumped Grid right there.  We'll see how useful they are come raids compared to Grid with GridStatusRaidDebuff, as I really am not using any of Grid's other whiz-bang-type features since 4.0.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: December 15, 2010, 02:59:10 PM

The most important stuff imo (and my choices for each) is a bar mod (Dominos), a buff monitor (Raven), and unit frames (Shadowed Unit Frames). Unit frames to get your health/mana out of the corner and near the middle of the screen where they belong, buff monitor because the default for that just isn't very good, and bars just because I'm picky about my bars I guess.

Actually if you're playing a character with any sort of heal or cleanse, then unit frames and Clique. I find it way easier to use mouseovers for any sort of friendly action, even if I'm soloing.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: December 15, 2010, 06:19:49 PM

For levelling a noob you probably don't need anything unless you plan on healing instances then you might find a raid frame mod useful.  Key binds to the default UI is perfectly fine for solo levelling.

I had to do a fresh install for Cataclysm and significantly wound bak my add on usage. 

I recently moved to Gnosis as a cast bar replacement.  Basically the same as Quartz but also indicates ticks for channelled spells (although Quartz may have this now too).

I use Vuhdo for group and raid frames for healing although have used grid in the past.  The new raid UI is huuuuuge even at it's small scale so you need some replacement.  Vuhdo has some neat-o features (like icons for individual debuffs, hot timer bars, and huge amount of customisation) but it's options pages can be very very hard to use (and change every major upgrade).  You can also overcook it and get info overload by having too much going on (as I found out in my first 10 man Sindy fight and first 25 man raid).

For Crafting I use Lil-sparky's Workshop to integrate auctioneer data into my ATSW crafting addon.  Now my crafting list shows the AH costs of raw mats and highest resale value (including AH, DE and vendor) of each item.  Very good for finding the lowest cost of skilling up or identifying arbitrage opportunities.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #375 on: December 15, 2010, 06:28:52 PM

With a large monitor (not sure this caveat even matters), it's very difficult to train my eye to keep track of the action and look in the upper level hand corner to view my  hp and mana/focus/energy.

Everything else for me is just ease of use improvements.  I don't like being annoyed with a UI when I'm playing a game and this is very easy to remedy in WoW.  So why not do it and save the sanctimonious, luddite groanings for another time?

How about you wash the fucking sand out of your vagina, Suzy? That NEED was capitalized to distinguish it from what you might WANT. But thanks for the mini-rant about how you're too super-pro to put up with having a health bar in the corner of the screen like in every video game ever made.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:31:02 PM by WindupAtheist »

Rasix

Reply #376 on: December 15, 2010, 06:31:40 PM

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:34:31 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: December 15, 2010, 08:43:44 PM

Heart
Health in the top corner but cooldowns at the bottom is like the worst UI decision ever.

As long as we're having this discussion again, does anybody know of any addons that will magically make tanking suck less (yes, I have Omen)? In particular I would really like it if something would yell at me when my threat lead becomes greater than my target's remaining health. Enough that I'm considering trying to hack it together myself if I have to.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: December 16, 2010, 05:44:48 AM

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for, but I have found the mody, Tidy Plates to be handy while tanking.  It adds a little bar nested over the name plate health bar which signals threat.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: December 16, 2010, 10:09:18 AM

Heart
Health in the top corner but cooldowns at the bottom is like the worst UI decision ever.

As long as we're having this discussion again, does anybody know of any addons that will magically make tanking suck less (yes, I have Omen)? In particular I would really like it if something would yell at me when my threat lead becomes greater than my target's remaining health. Enough that I'm considering trying to hack it together myself if I have to.

I don't know about the threat lead versus health bit, but personally I use tidypanels (I think that's what they're called?) set to tank mode for threat information, and only have Omen open for actual tps numbers. The base UI is really nice about displaying threat these days.

As for UI positioning, I put things I need to know in the middle of my screen, and added a few proc warnings to powerauras (because while I LOVE the version that comes with 4.x, it doesn't do a few things I need, like when rune tap procs from low health and I should probably hit that button now instead of burning the rune).

I think I have like, 3 cast bars displayed at various points to make sure I don't miss a cast, though. One in the middle, one by the unit frame, and one as part of the floating health bars. Look, I want to know if that bastard is casting something, okay?
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: December 16, 2010, 10:25:39 AM

TukUI is the one, true UI mod. If you're using anything else, you're doing it wrong.
HTH.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #381 on: December 16, 2010, 11:34:31 AM

(snip doom pic)

I dunno man, that stuff is spread out across the entire bottom of the screen. Current ammo on the far left, total ammo on the far right? Health and armor on opposite sides, separated by multiple elements? You'd shave a few picoseconds off your reaction time if you used my Doom add-on.

why so serious?

Rasix

Reply #382 on: December 16, 2010, 11:44:12 AM

1/10.

Good touch covering up the action too.  You really seem to have a sound grasp of the argument presented here.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:47:02 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: December 16, 2010, 11:53:53 AM

Looks like every raider's screen I've ever seen posted. tongue

Rasix

Reply #384 on: December 16, 2010, 11:55:55 AM

Maybe the healers.  They just stare at their toes and hit buttons.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Resubbed - damn it's well done  
Jump to: