Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 08:39:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: I just Grabbed EQ2 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I just Grabbed EQ2  (Read 121722 times)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: June 04, 2009, 10:11:17 PM

Part of my problem with EQ2 is that it can be fairly impenetrable.  I leveled my characters up shortly after release.  Then bailed for a couple years.  When I came back, they had completely different spells, different sets of special abilities to choose from for their levels, and not a single clue about what to do.  All of the resources I could find for my conjurer were outdated and inaccurate, the official class message board was covered in cobwebs, there was no indication of which choices of the level-based special abilities would be useful or wise to pick, everything was just wretchedly confusing.  A few hours of roaming the net for info, a few hours of bumbling around in-game, then uninstalling.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: June 05, 2009, 06:14:38 AM

Part of my problem with EQ2 is that it can be fairly impenetrable.  I leveled my characters up shortly after release.  Then bailed for a couple years.  When I came back, they had completely different spells, different sets of special abilities to choose from for their levels, and not a single clue about what to do.  All of the resources I could find for my conjurer were outdated and inaccurate, the official class message board was covered in cobwebs, there was no indication of which choices of the level-based special abilities would be useful or wise to pick, everything was just wretchedly confusing.  A few hours of roaming the net for info, a few hours of bumbling around in-game, then uninstalling.

It was pretty bad for a while, google would turn up all the commercial sites and they hadn't been updated really since launch. I remember that--going from site to site to site trying to find updated info. It's a lot better now, at least I think so.  While a lot of stuff with tactics and who's good at what have changed, I don't think they've done any major overhauling since before Kunark. They were going to do fighters, but it got binned.

eq2.wikia.com has pretty much taken over everything for quests and reference materials. And I've been able to find good threads on master 2 choices on the official boards or eq2 flames.

Conjurors really get the shaft in the end game--itemization is all about +spell damage and it doesn't apply to the pet.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #177 on: June 05, 2009, 06:44:02 AM

They definitely seem to have pigeonholed classes into solo/raid roles and they don't seem keen to fix it.  Part of the issue is that there's simply too many classes.  Then a long standing stigma gets attached to certain classes and players that won't think outside the box don't allow them to perform their intended role.  W/e.  I could go on all day about it. 

I just reupped my account last night.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: June 05, 2009, 08:05:28 AM

I don't think it's so much the old "solo classes must be punished by having shitty groupability", a lot of solo friendly classes are quite desireable in raids. It's more just what's in favor at the time. Before the +spell damage era, summoners were the best DPS spellcasters, and I remember raids with three or four summoners and the whinging from the warlock/wizard community was monumental. And they're still desired for raids, my guild is currently recruiting for both, but with the nerfs a lot of people have abandoned them because they don't "feel" as useful or powerful.

I like the extra classes, but I think they probably should have focused on flavor rather than core abilities. I thought they did well with that in the necro/conjuror twins. But there's way too many classes with mandatory abilities and a few that are just significantly weaker than their counterpart--berserker/guardian for example.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: June 05, 2009, 10:31:05 PM

Vitality is a funny thing.  Subbed last night, just started lvl38.  Just logged tonight after about 2 hours playing midway through 40. 

What's kinda the best way to level from here?  I'm in the middle of Steamfont quests, but I'm guessing by 42 they'll be gone.  Then it looks like Everfrost got a quest revamp recently... is that decent now?  After that Lavastorm for a bit?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: June 06, 2009, 07:26:34 AM

Check the solo timeline and it will let you know where the ranges are.

In your lower 40s you can usually snag some groups at the Temple of Cazik Thule. Turn on the 40something channel and watch for people lookingto start groups. They're usually good for a level every 45 minutes or so.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: June 06, 2009, 09:20:03 AM

Yeah, I found the solo timeline but was just wondering if the zones were decent I suppose.  I wasn't very impressed with Zek or the halfling zone, they seemed too broken up and dull.  Steamfont is pretty cool though.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: June 06, 2009, 11:52:15 AM

I personally found Steamfont to be the best in that range. The rest are mostly rebuilt zones with the quests added in and they don't quite fit as well. Lavastorm was just rebuilt and I haven't been through it yet, it has a 40/50s timeline and an 80th one as well.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #183 on: June 08, 2009, 10:28:19 AM

Vitality is a funny thing.  Subbed last night, just started lvl38.  Just logged tonight after about 2 hours playing midway through 40. 

What's kinda the best way to level from here?  I'm in the middle of Steamfont quests, but I'm guessing by 42 they'll be gone.  Then it looks like Everfrost got a quest revamp recently... is that decent now?  After that Lavastorm for a bit?

Enchanted Lands and Zek are still good. Not sure when Lesser Fay is appropriate but I enjoyed that zone as well. Do 60-70 in KoS and then head to Kunark.

I have never played WoW.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: June 08, 2009, 12:41:29 PM

I hated Zek with a passion, enchanted lands is fine. And doesn't KOS go down in the 50s? Around 50ish watch for Klak'Anon groups. That and CT are some of the very few old dungeons that get regular use.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: June 08, 2009, 03:45:12 PM

I don't get a chance to group much in games anymore.  Puppy+wife+4yr old daughter+work+etc... I just hit 43 and finished up about what I could solo in Steamfont.  Off to Everfrost tonight, I think. 
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #186 on: June 09, 2009, 08:29:10 AM

I hated Zek with a passion, enchanted lands is fine. And doesn't KOS go down in the 50s? Around 50ish watch for Klak'Anon groups. That and CT are some of the very few old dungeons that get regular use.

Zek was revamped a bit. I don't remember when and I don't know when you last experienced it. EL is still better, though.  You can start KoS in the low 50s, but then you will finish it before you hit 70 unless you can find groups to do the endless Scaleborn dungeon questlines.

I have never played WoW.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: June 13, 2009, 07:37:46 AM

I'm just grinding through the lower level lavastorm for AA and they're quite good. Very few navigation issues. Clear and reasonable.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: I just Grabbed EQ2  
Jump to: