Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: I just Grabbed EQ2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I just Grabbed EQ2  (Read 121725 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

on: February 04, 2009, 08:18:08 AM

I just dropped my WOW sub because I accomplished everything I really wanted before catass mode kicked in.  My buddy did the same and he went back to playing EQ2, a game he played for quite a while.

So I decided to give the game a go.. again.. and picked up the new expansion.  It was on sale at Best Buy.

Anyone play this game?  It actually looks really good on my new PC with everything turned to Extreme Quality.  I never got passed level 20 though in previous endeavors.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 08:20:30 AM

Try not to start in Qeynos or Freeport.  (unless they have been totally redone while I wasn't looking.)

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 08:37:16 AM

Nektulos is a great place to start in terms of questing and first tier gathering, but the graphics can be a real hog if your system isn't current. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:43:56 AM

Yeah, if you tweak your graphics settings, save it as a profile. Then when you go into a newer city like Kelethin or Neriak, load up a low graphics setting and tweak it up to bearable performance and save that as your city profile. Then you'll need one later on for raiding, probably, because each low setting has specific needs.

But when you can crank it high, the graphics are really nice.

If you want the best newbie gear, you need to start in whatever the kunark city is called. Newbie gear there is insane, but I hate the city itself.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 10:36:50 AM

My system can handle everything EQ2 can throw at me, so I'm not worried about that.  My previous rig could not.  They actually optimized the engine to take advantage of double core cpus.  I also run two 4850s in crossfire and have 4gigs of ram.  It runs nicely.

My friend is helping me and he's all mythical geared out or whatever it's called and I started in the newest newbie area.

So anyone play in the later game? Around max level or so?  How is it?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:28:00 AM

Just about everyone but me plays the late game. I haven't played in a year now, but I'm about 95% solo. To me, max level means go play something new or start over :)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 12:48:29 PM

Just about everyone but me plays the late game. I haven't played in a year now, but I'm about 95% solo. To me, max level means go play something new or start over :)

What I mean by late game is the new stuff before you hit max level.  Like the leveling/dungeon stuff from the last few expansions.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 02:01:15 PM

If you play multiple characters but want the interface of one copied over:

/save_uisettings (on the character you have set up)
/load_uisettings (on the character you want to duplicate it)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 02:03:45 PM

I've been playing with a friend who got me sucked in since early December. I have a level 53  Fury/ thirtysomething carpenter and a slew of  mid teen alts, all on Butcherblock

I've really never had to reduce graphics yet,  but the biggest thing I've done  is a six man Deathfist . Neriak is beautiful but makes me nauseous

Timorous Deep, Particularly the town with its freaking elevators fills me with loathing, though. That and the Sarnak make me want to slap them around a bit.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 02:10:02 PM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who dislikes Timorous.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 03:50:30 PM

This game is decent.  I'm not sure why I never tried it at launch.  A while back they were offering like, 6 months free gametime, with access to every expansion.  So I took the bait.  Got to level 30 or so.  Solid experience.  I was a an old gnarly looking bandit with balding white hair. 

I have to say though, even a AAA title like EQ2 is lackluster in the "polish."  What exactly I mean by that is hard to effectuate into words, but you really appreciate just how fucking slick WoW is, and Blizzard games are in general.  They're fucking psycho in their attention to detail and level of professionalism. 
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 06:04:27 PM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who dislikes Timorous.

Horribly designed starting area - avoid at all costs.  Kethelin is pretty good I thought, but your limited in race and class....it would be torture to play to 80 with a Fae (or Arsai for that fact).
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 08:41:35 PM

I rather like my Arasai.  Queen Cristinos dotes all over us, too.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 05:52:00 AM

I'm pretty sure you can start other good and neutral races in Kelethin. Plus, it has the easiest betrayal in the game. Just kill orcs for about 45 minutes. If you time the level right, you can even grind xp while you do it.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 05:56:35 AM

Yeah you can definitely start with other good/neutral races in Keth....I believe just not humans/barbs/dwarves? I took a wood-elf to 80 out of Keth, and it is definitely a good place to base as a home - much more organized than most other starting areas with no loading.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 07:43:12 AM

My high elf paladin started in Kelethin. I really liked teh atmosphere there.

The reason I suggested Tim Deep was the loot. It's /so much/ better than other newbie loot that you pretty much have to start there or be gimped for your level. However, if he's getting twinked up it probably doesn't matter at all.

Damn, now I'm starting to feel the urge again. And the program I'm in right now demands you reward yourself for progress, and I hadn't been able to think of a cheap reward...(surprise, I have classic AD/HD!).
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 01:06:03 PM

My brother has been making noise about checking this out sometime soon. I read something in another thread about some high-res texture pack... what's the skinny on this?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 01:29:15 PM

I think you're thinking of LOTRO. EQ2 is the one where all the graphics are high and still bring any machine to its knees if you turn them all the way up.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 02:23:54 PM

Naw, man. Was in some thread here on f13. I just can't recall where.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 08:47:08 PM

Try the LotRO forum  awesome, for real
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 04:06:26 PM

I have a 62 Illusionist now, on Butcherblock. Still fun, and lots of stuff to explore.

Too bad my PC is a PoS.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 09:55:33 PM

Played a brigand, warden, inquisitor, and a defiler into the 50's.  I love what EQ2 was trying to do, but just couldn't ever stay with the game more than a month or two at a time.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 12:03:20 PM

Over the weekend I resubbed. I usually take a lowbie out for a test-drive so I can get warmed up to the UI and whatnot, so I deleted my RoK launch character (I liked my monk better than that bruiser anyway), rolled up a Zerker (Bartolomeus the Barbarian Berzerker!). Then I deleted my very first EQ2 character, a crappy necro who was on LDL, finally got around to booting him for good. It's hard for me to free up spots because of my crafters, I'd like to ditch my guardian but he's level 60 something provisioner...

Anyway, rolled up a brigand and he seems pretty cool. Might actually tradeskill him up as a chemist so I can delete my ranger. Until I get going, I have the worst case of indecision with picking a class. I like my SK and Wiz (who is lvl 66, didn't know I had him that high), and my monk and necro are reserved for super-twinking some day.

Thought about playing my Illu, but a Coercer sounds fun, too. The Illu is my jeweler, though, so I guess it's all about him. My paladin is on the chopping block, but I like him from an RP standpoint, even if I gave up on his weaponsmithing at lvl 30, metals are just too ridiculous to level up both weaponcrafting AND armorcrafting, and my SK needed armor. I've also got a fury/woodcrafter in the wings to play someday.

Maybe I should just buy the new expansion and check it out with my wizard once I relearn him.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 07:12:59 AM

Coercers are wicked fun to play! Wish I had tried one years ago.

When thinking about rolling a new alt, I was checking the whine forums and it looks like the SK is the overpowered fotm? Unless you read the SK official forum, of course. Maybe it's time to dust off my SK for a bit.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 08:09:45 AM

I have to say that the most fun I had in the game was playing my brigand.  Played to its potential, you could use stuns and positionals to kill really tough single targets.  I enjoyed having to time my hits and maneuver around while getting the most out of my debuffs.  Sadly, when it came to killing groups, I wasn't so effective.  Maybe that's because my weapons and poison were the only things I upgraded religiously.

If I had a regular group of people to game with, EQ2 is the title I'd be playing.  Lacking that, it's just not very fun solo. 

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 09:34:35 AM

What is regular?  awesome, for real I usually play for an hour or so a night at 11pm EST or so. When we were running the BC trio last year it was a lot of fun, I forget the classes...I was playing my wiz, plus Trag and gimpy who were a zerk and....I forget. Tough because it wasn't an optimal group, but fun. Being able to do group content is a revelation for me :)

I had a lot of fun with my brigand, even though he's supernewb. I bet with brig stuns + coercer stuns you could do one hell of a stunlock.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 10:13:31 AM

What is regular?  awesome, for real

I just mean a group a people I like chatting with playing maybe a day or two a week.  The best part of EQ2 are the dungeon crawls and I refuse to do them with a pug. 

I have a RL friend that I used to play a bit with, but we eventually got tired of only being able to experience a small part of the game without involving a) random quality players or b) a drama-filled guild. 

I've been dabbling in CoH for this reason.  Great game for solo/duo play.

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 10:34:49 AM

I really want to like EQ2.  And I *do* like it.

I messed around with a trial a couple weeks ago and walked away pretty damn impressed.  And I generally, as a rule, don't like fantasy games.  And like Nebu, my biggest problem is finding consistent people to game with.  Most of my old regular crew are 2 hrs behind (I'm CST, mostly playing 9pm to 11pm or so) or in Europe, and quite frankly, I've lost touch with most of them.

But anyway.  Yeah. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 12:28:33 PM

I have little rants now and again about grouping or the way modern mmo sets up dungeons with elite/heroic mobs, but in reality I've made my peace with the way it is. EQ2 has a LOT to offer solo players, and in fact with proper class choice and intelligent playing, you can overcome some of the limitations, though it takes longer and probably isn't worth it for sane people. I've been playing EQ2 since launch and my highest is 66. To say I take the road less traveled is an understatement.

And I do enjoy grouping, but not with any random player. There's just way too much variation in skill, not to mention most people in my level range are alts who often have garbage gear (because it's not worth 'wasting' money on when you'll blow through a tier in a few hours) and the players are real demandy because they come from the high-end environment where things are stricter and demandier. It's also why I don't want to raid, I can't tell you if I'll be around this saturday night, let alone have some set schedule to play the game in perpetuity.

I have a bunch of teen-20 alts and my 45 SK and 66 Wiz, my coercer will get combat-xp-locked around 22-23 but I plan on playing him for a while. That's another issue, I level slow as fuck (intentionally), so it makes it difficult to group regularly, even with mentoring. I've little interest in leveling quickly, in fact it's counter-productive to my playstyle.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 12:32:52 PM

I guess I could just have an alt that I only played when a group was around.  That way I would get to a) experience the dungeon crawls and b) not outlevel the group.  Maybe I'll fire this back up and create an alt on your server (if you would be interested in grouping on odd occasions). 

EQ2 does have a lot for the solo player.  I just enjoy the grouping dynamic and often get bored if I don't have someone to at least chat with while running quests.  Could be that I also play too long during my play sessions.  If I just played in shorter bursts, I may be able to hang on longer.

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 12:48:25 PM

Yeah, I've found sticking to an hour (or two!) a night is great. Sometimes I might play on a weekend morning, if my fiancee is working. Anyway, if you want to roll up an alt on Oasis, I can invite you to BC and we can see about some twinkage. I can't do a lot, but at low levels you don't need alot. Once you hit 20 I can make you up some t3 armor and spells or whatever, especially if you harvest :)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 04:22:18 PM

You should all come to Butcherblock and join my fledgling guild. We even have access to 2 Chinese farmers who play like it's their jobs and have lots of crafters.

Ok, so the two Chinese guys are personal friends of mine. They still play like fucking yerrow gold farmers.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 05:49:50 PM

Heh.  What's the overpowered class right now?  I ask, because I fully admit to sucking hind tit at MMOs anymore and I need the crutch.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 07:39:20 PM

Also, what are the worthwhile mods for this game?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 06:26:07 AM

Also, what are the worthwhile mods for this game?

Profit UI Reborn for a complete UI makeover. This can be a shock, but once you get used to it, it's absolutely amazing.

Advanced Combat Tracker for a non-integrated parser. This is simply the best parser I've ever seen in any game. You can customize your miniwindow--even toss it on the miniscreen of a G15 keyboard. It has an amazing mode that lets you replay the combat in diagram form to analyze things.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: I just Grabbed EQ2  
Jump to: