Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - for real 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood Bowl - for real  (Read 251867 times)
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: June 29, 2009, 08:58:02 AM

Hehe yes the block skill is very very good. Its one reason why on paper the lizard men team looks so strong but none of the players starts with much in the way of skills and even throwing two dice at somebody them having block and you not having block there is a good chance your big leezard is going to wind up on its ass.

Its not overpowered but it is pretty much expected for a competent lineman to have the block skill. The only thing that annoyed me was that two of my saurus rolled doubles but I took block for both of them anyway.

So far I have been plinking around in the campaigns and been enjoying it quite a lot. The lizard man team so far has been very fun for me its a pretty odd combo of big ass brusiers with no skills and a bunch of really pansy skinks who are lightning fast. The skinks at least level up very quickly due to their crazy movement powers so they wind up being pretty useful pretty fast. I have one skink with MA9 sure feet and the talent that lets you push an extra square. That lil bugger can cover a HUGE amount of the board per turn.

All the skills are pretty useful but some come into play more often and dodge and block are two of them. Due to how the dice are setup block is just very very nice.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: June 29, 2009, 09:55:05 AM

Block being very very good was especially noticeable given that I've been playing Chaos and I'm frequently being matched up against dwarves.  Seems like all the dwarves start wtih block (but maybe it's just the dwarf linemen).
Scadente
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: June 29, 2009, 10:17:39 AM

Downloading now :)

So count me in if you got a spot open

So the kids on the internet say that you're a big noise?
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: June 29, 2009, 12:23:00 PM

Will be in as Cadaverine later tonight once I get home.  I'll join the league, and provide fodder for people.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Scadente
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: June 29, 2009, 03:52:10 PM

As a player of the board game, I'm thoroughly impressed by how faithful the game is to the Table top. I just picked it straight up and got the rules, even though I had not played it for years. They also really captured the Blood Bowl style and artwork, very nice.

Username is Krummi, but I didnt have any luck finding the f13 league. Don't tell me it's EU/NA split or something stupid?

So the kids on the internet say that you're a big noise?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #180 on: June 29, 2009, 04:40:37 PM

No splitness. You should find a list of the private leagues somewhere. Sort them alphabetically and then scroll down beyond Z. You'll notice they start again from A to Z but this time uncapitalized. Since it's not F13 but f13, you'll find it at the bottom of that sorted list.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: June 29, 2009, 04:55:59 PM

The first test f13 league has 5 signed up members and 3 reserved spots, so it should start very soon!

1) Bat Country - Falconeer (Orcs)
2) Lucious Lizards - Helm (Lizardmen)
3) Estalia Crushers - Modern Angel (Dwarves)
4) Fraggers - Aez (Skavens)
5) Tlachtlan Tornadoes - IainC (Lizardmen)
6) ? - Cadaverine
7) ? - Scadente
8) ? - Typhon

Hurry up with those applications and go go go!

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: June 29, 2009, 06:58:06 PM

No splitness. You should find a list of the private leagues somewhere. Sort them alphabetically and then scroll down beyond Z. You'll notice they start again from A to Z but this time uncapitalized. Since it's not F13 but f13, you'll find it at the bottom of that sorted list.
I sorted by "trainer" and looked for "Falconeer". Worked like a charm.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: June 30, 2009, 12:27:14 AM

7 of 8.

The only missing team is Typhon's. Hurry up!

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: June 30, 2009, 06:44:08 AM

7 of 8.

The only missing team is Typhon's. Hurry up!
So ... how does this work, once Typhon signes up ?

I have no idea.  awesome, for real

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: June 30, 2009, 06:52:13 AM

Me neither! That's why it's a TEST league.
I guess, you can play against whoever you want in the league, whenever you want, up to 7 matches. After 7 matches the team with the best score is the winner.

We'll see.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: June 30, 2009, 07:47:40 AM

Block being very very good was especially noticeable given that I've been playing Chaos and I'm frequently being matched up against dwarves.  Seems like all the dwarves start wtih block (but maybe it's just the dwarf linemen).

Ya that is the nastiest thing about the dwarves. A ton of their characters start with block and many have tackle as well. They are expensive lil buggers but until I could get my saurus some skills a str 4 leezard vs a default str 3 dwarf the dwarf will still knock the lizard down most of the times even though the lizard is throwing two dice due to their starting skills.

If you want a character who really does not get knocked down try the combo of block and dodge and stand firm. That is the screw you I ain't moving talent setup.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #187 on: June 30, 2009, 08:14:03 AM

If you want a character who really does not get knocked down try the combo of block and dodge and stand firm. That is the screw you I ain't moving talent setup.

Goddamn Wood Elf Wardancers with Block, Dodge and Sidestep. You need to be really lucky to make them hit the floor.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: June 30, 2009, 08:44:55 AM

Me neither! That's why it's a TEST league.
I guess, you can play against whoever you want in the league, whenever you want, up to 7 matches. After 7 matches the team with the best score is the winner.

We'll see.

Nope. It schedules them and you play according to the schedule. There may or may not be playoffs at the end, I am unsure.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: June 30, 2009, 08:59:01 AM

Ah, cool. I like the schedule! Playoffs, I guess it was up to me setting them up. And I have no idea what I clicked...

Typhon?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #190 on: June 30, 2009, 09:17:22 AM

So make sure and update how this game roster business works with people in different time zones..

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: June 30, 2009, 09:18:55 AM

Seems like a game i would want to play on my PS3. Its PC only isn't it?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: June 30, 2009, 09:27:19 AM

If the league works, I'll Radicalthon it.

Should come out for DS, PSP and 360 later this year. No PS3.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: June 30, 2009, 11:00:42 AM

Ah, cool. I like the schedule! Playoffs, I guess it was up to me setting them up. And I have no idea what I clicked...

Typhon?

Sorry! work got craptacular suddenly yesterday and put in a 14hour day, didn't turn the pc on at all, just went to bed.  At work now, will log in and register tonight.  If someone beats me to it, I'll be in the next round.  Sorry for the delay.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: June 30, 2009, 11:35:35 AM

I'm playing Dwarves, though I can't recall the name I chose.

And yes, having everyone but my runners with Block is very nice.  Would be helpful if I had some sort of tripping skill though.  Played a one off game against a Human team, and they just danced right past me all night long.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: June 30, 2009, 12:48:07 PM

Get tackle dwarves with a lot of folks who have tackle are one of the harder races to dance around. Dwarves are really nasty and they are a seriously good way to learn about positioning and setting up your starting lines. If you mess up you will wind up with somebody running the ball right past you for a score. I had one game with my lizards vs the dwarves and it went 24 turns before I finally managed to score. They had like 4 people left standing I had about 3 it was ugly it took me a couple games to recover from that. I always dread the dwarven blood baths I get into when I face them.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: June 30, 2009, 02:45:55 PM

Any reliable tactics on breaking the "cage" some of the runner teams build around their ball carrier ?

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: June 30, 2009, 04:37:57 PM

Cage are mostly used by strong races like lizards and orcs.  Runner use cage has a one or two round protection until their runner can reach the TD line.

Strong team cage : put your guy square in front of the cage, don't charge it.  They'll only get one hit with their blitz if they want to past your barrier and you'll be able to hit all your guy once they reach you.

Runner cage : charge it and try to get the ball carrier, keep 2 good runners close to the TD line to attack a lone runner.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: June 30, 2009, 05:53:38 PM

Apply sent!  Wow the UI wasn't at all straight-foward to get a team into a private league.  Or I'm just st00pit.  Thanks for the clear instructions.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: June 30, 2009, 07:34:45 PM

THE LEAGUE HAS STARTED!

This is the Team setup:

As you can see we have 2 Dwarves teams, 2 Chaos, 2 Lizardmen, 1 Skaven and 1 Orcs.
Would be nice to do some betting but as of now it's hard to figure the odds.

Here's the first day, out of seven:

It's Scadente vs. Falconeer
IainC vs. Cadaverine
Typhon vs. Modern Angel
Aez vs. Helm

Now, how to play? As we are still in test don't expect me to have the answer, I am pretty sure Modern Angel knows mych more than me.
What I could figure out is that once you go to My Leagues you can actually switch on the chat channel of the f13 league which should feature any manager of such league presently online. If your opponent is online you get a warning there. Plus, it's definitely a good idea to put all the other league members in your friend list so you can easily see what they are doing and/or message them. When you challenge your opponent be sure to use the team you signed up for the league, otherwise you risk to challenge him with another team and it would be painfully useless.

Anyway, for the league to work a certain coordination between the managers is required, so either in game, here or via PM I invite everyone to contact his opponent and try to setup a date for the match kindly as soon as possible. I don't think there's a time limit but as you can easily imagine the League can't proceed to day 2 until all the matches from day 1 has been played (the League Manager, me, can force a result though so we can advance even if someone gives up).

Now, Scadente-Krummi... when are we playing? What about thursday night around 5pm East Coast time? I can stay up as late as an 8pm starter if 5pm is too early.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: June 30, 2009, 07:49:21 PM

I sent an ingame mail to Typhon. The ingame GUI is fucking abysmal but functional. Once both people are on, you just highlight your team and then your match. Click the start match button, voila.

Under Free scheduling I think you'll have to click to advance days, Falc.
schild
Administrator

Reply #201 on: June 30, 2009, 08:39:58 PM

Damn. Now I want the game. >_<
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #202 on: June 30, 2009, 10:42:13 PM

Yeah.  Fuckers.  I haven't seen my home machine for over two weeks though and I'm not getting back there until late next week.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #203 on: June 30, 2009, 11:12:01 PM

Yeah.  Fuckers.  I haven't seen my home machine for over two weeks though and I'm not getting back there until late next week.
Not having access to play it is easier than not being able to afford it, sucka.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: July 01, 2009, 03:01:44 AM

We could make an Age of Conan f13 PvP duel league and the first prize is a copy of Blood Bowl...

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: July 01, 2009, 03:14:42 AM

We could make an Age of Conan f13 PvP duel league and the first prize is a copy of Blood Bowl...
Now that is just cruel. Funny. But cruel.  awesome, for real

schild
Administrator

Reply #206 on: July 01, 2009, 03:18:57 AM

You should just give it to me. OBVIOUSLY. (not because I'm broke but because, you know, I'm a hair from 50, on a character without magic handmedown funcom lootz)

Or do I have to wait for everyone to catch up?

why so serious?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: July 01, 2009, 08:06:45 AM

Purchased, Downloaded, Installed, Patched and Registered.

Just after the nick of time.

Ohhhhh, I see.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: July 01, 2009, 08:33:42 AM

Any reliable tactics on breaking the "cage" some of the runner teams build around their ball carrier ?

The best way to break it is if you have enough speedy people is to hit it hard before it can fully form. With teams like the dwarves it takes them a few turns to get everybody into position to really lock the cage down. If you can blitz a hole or two in it before they can form it you can make them cough the ball up. Kinda depends on your own race though. Sometimes with lizard men I just have a saurus blitz in fast before they form it to disrupt the cage and try to pop the ball out other times I just have to surround it and just bash like crazy to try to break it open.

I am so far 13-0 in the single player campaign with my lizards and by far the hardest teams for me are the dwarves. With all the skills their players have if they can get the cage formed up its really hard to get that ball out from them again which makes for long lasting slug fests. I had one game go 24 turns vs them before I finally managed to score and that was pretty much after damn near everybody on both sides were KO'ed or injured.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #209 on: July 01, 2009, 08:47:57 AM

The best way to break the cage is the same tactic that you should be using for everything - make the opponent take as many tests as possible. The more dice he has to roll, the more likely he is to fail something in a comical/painful manner and either gift you the ball or at least leave himself wide open for an asskicking. Dwarfs are hard to knock over but they fall/i] over pretty easily.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - for real  
Jump to: