Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:00:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Millennium 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Millennium  (Read 3406 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: January 26, 2009, 05:12:48 PM

While "X-Files" was good, "Millennium" was better (series 1 and 2 anyway). Watching the first series you can see how it really opened up the ground for shows like "CSI" to do the procedural police shows with the gore (La Grande Dame (sp?) from the pilot is one of the most horrible things I think I've seen on TV). However, what I really liked was that "Millennium" was about good and evil without (mostly) being preachy about it, while "CSI" is a pure morality play.

Lance Henriksson was awesome. I have to think he has some horrible addiction or is the greatest PITA in the world for him not to be getting more work. He should have at least shown up on "Lost" once.

Favourite episode is "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me" - four demons sit around and discuss how they corrupt souls. Clever, clever stuff.

Another thing I really liked about "Millennium" in retrospect was that the characters were consultants who generally didn't arrest criminals or kick down doors to get to them. One episode has Frank Black (Henriksson's character) consult on a case where a police office kills his wife and kids. Over the episode, he discovers the truth. But no-one wants to hear it - the case is closed, the police officer wants to be guilty - so he drives off back where he came from. No big redemption moment or lead actor staring knowingly off into the distance about how they'd done the right thing.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:16:58 PM

Favourite episode is "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me" - four demons sit around and discuss how they corrupt souls. Clever, clever stuff.

I don't suppose one of them is named Screwtape?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:26:19 PM

No, but that's probably a big source for the writers on this.

It's four demons with four stories - one who encourages a serial killer, one who breaks a heart, one who torments a network censor and one who just lets everyday life drive people to hell. It's black humour, not necessarily laugh out loud funny, but very clever.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:55:19 PM

I loved Millenium and I had a huge huge thing for Megan Gallagher in it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 04:25:35 AM

If you get the Chill network on your cable/ satellite they run Millenium every day at 8am EST and weekends sometime around 9.

This was a great show, I'll agree it's first couple of seasons were better than what X-files became after season 3. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 11:04:27 AM

Before the Lost 1000pounds Gorilla arrived, Millennium was my personal favourite along with Twin Peaks. Deep and emotional weekly plots, no matter if sometimes (at least in season 1) it was too much like a "serial killer of the week".

Millennium crashed directly into the darker corners of the human soul: it was brilliant and depressing at the same time; definitely not a show the average public would and could enjoy, be it a good or a bad thing.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:43:14 PM

Great show, another one that was so original for TV.  His family had to have been the only thing keeping Frank Black sane.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 05:30:46 PM

Another good episode of this series was "Jose Chung's 'Doomsday Defence'".

I still need to buy series 3 (the weakest, I know) and then find the X-Files episode that served as the epilogue (called "Millennium", I believe).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Millennium  
Jump to: