Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:51:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR client is hackable 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR client is hackable  (Read 15012 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: January 19, 2009, 04:36:58 PM

Taking this from another thread:

I'm sure no modern MMORPG actually trusts the client at all, but about the last thing mythic needs (with an already disaffected player-base) is the suggestion people are hacking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsYAnNlO4ao&feature=related

Yep, just verified it. It's all true, the entire client is hacked.

If these types of hacks are possible, that means all the info about player location, speed, alive/dead, is all kept client side. This is huge. They're going to have to have a major re-write to fix this and I doubt they'll be able to pull it off. I predict that these exploits are going to proliferate at an exponential rate and Warhammer to have an equally rapid death there after.

Seriously though, someone should have started a new topic for this. bye bye Warhammer.

Oh Mythic, you sooo cra-zzyy!

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:44:33 PM

Is the server not throttling messages at all?  That seems very odd.  Particularly if this is DAoC2, same engine.

Is this widespread in any way?  The WARBuddy thing seems to have been out since Oct?

Edit: not being contrary, just curious if this is really an issue, since all MMO clients (more or less) are "hackable".
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:49:42 PM by Soln »
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:45:14 PM

Mythic has learned nothing.  LEARNED. NOTHING.

"Me am play gods"
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:46:55 PM

Damncheaters, Taultunleashed, and that Warbuddy are the ones I know about so far. They all look to be the same hacks just different companies (or the same under three names)

Edit: Add Mmoblackhat to that list.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 05:11:06 PM

There's source code out there if you look for it. All these sites are just packaging up what other people have written and are selling it.

From what I saw, the people that wrote the code were laughing at the Mythic devs because the hacks were so simple.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 05:34:18 PM

Is the server not throttling messages at all?  That seems very odd.  Particularly if this is DAoC2, same engine.

Is this widespread in any way?  The WARBuddy thing seems to have been out since Oct?

Edit: not being contrary, just curious if this is really an issue, since all MMO clients (more or less) are "hackable".

I have yet to see anybody actually using any of these hacks.. if it was actually a problem and not some *OH NO MYTHIC FAIL* post it would be of some concern.  There are WoW videos claiming the same thing.. so obviously that makes Blizzard Fail too right?   ACK!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:12:37 PM

I have yet to see anybody actually using any of these hacks.. if it was actually a problem and not some *OH NO MYTHIC FAIL* post it would be of some concern.  There are WoW videos claiming the same thing.. so obviously that makes Blizzard Fail too right?   ACK!

This.  I've seen the exact same video for wow and aoc, exactly the same hacks.  Never saw anyone actually using it in either game.

I am the .00000001428%
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 07:39:55 PM

I first saw that video in September, and have yet to see it in game.

I'd like to know exactly what CharlieMopps verified.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 08:33:08 PM

PunkbusterA and PunkbusterB are unbeatable.  I call shenanigans on the video.  I mean, you can't get past Punkbuster!!!  No chance against TWO of the executable running at the same time!!! 
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 12:55:00 AM

From a little looking most of the WoW hacks I've seen are obvious private server + GM/Debug commands.  Currently there is no private server software to be found for Warhammer, which makes it lulz.
Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 03:56:51 AM

From a little looking most of the WoW hacks I've seen are obvious private server + GM/Debug commands.  Currently there is no private server software to be found for Warhammer, which makes it lulz.

There were a number of wow hacks that were possible on live servers although I haven't seen any in use since the latest expansion was released.  This included teleporting and floating, both of which I saw multiple instances of on my realm in the latter half of 2008.

There were also incidences of teleporting dead level 1 characters to form gold selling advertisements in cities, like so:

That screenshot was taken by myself on a live realm.

There wasn't a huge amount of outcry over these types of exploits as they were generally only used by goldsellers, they most certainly existed however (and could still do for all I know).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:01:48 AM by Xeyi »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 04:03:32 AM

Gold farmers were using teleport hacks on wow for a long time, they used them mostly to teleport to and kill the last boss in diremaul.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 04:07:47 AM

Which is why they gave WoW sanity checks. I don't believe the actual exploit is gone, it's just they can catch near instantaneously and remove your ass.

As long as movement information is client side, it's going to be hackable. As far as I know, most MMO's *must* do movement client side, or they just lag to death. 

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Mavor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 07:17:02 AM

Well, most mmo's have hackable location data, so flying and such is possible. However, most of the GOOD mmo's take proactive measures to detect this hacking.

It is not realistic to expect the server to calculate the correct position of a player in real-time without massive lag, and so it is hackable.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 09:04:17 AM

I'm pretty sure Punkbuster was turned off in beta, and hasn't been reactivated since.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 10:23:12 AM

So cap zones and then fly your warband over the keep into the Fortress Lord for the quick win. I can hear the masses now if anyone does that.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 10:39:18 AM

I remember an announcement that punkbuster was going to be turned back on, but I don't recall if it actually was.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 11:18:56 AM

It'll probably work as well as the punkbuster in BF2.

EA + Punkbuster =  swamp poop
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 11:21:52 AM

If Punkbuster was active in this game, we would all know it, as the load times would be pushed to BF2 times.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 12:54:23 PM

as the load times would be pushed to BF2 times.

So they'd become faster?

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 06:26:52 PM

That screenshot was taken by myself on a live realm.

The perspective on that is bad for determining height, you sure it wasn't the jump/logout levitation bug?
GoodIdea
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 08:21:36 AM

I still play a lot and I haven't noticed any hacks, for damage, teleportation, or movement. I'll get worried when I actually see someone hacking.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 08:29:39 AM

I still play a lot and I haven't noticed any hacks, for damage, teleportation, or movement. I'll get worried when I actually see someone hacking.

Did you not play the first two weeks after release?  I saw all kinds of crap while leveling up.  Everything from the mundane (window dragging) to speed hacks.  Maybe all those years of DAoC made me more sensitive to it. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 09:15:36 AM

Did you not play the first two weeks after release?  I saw all kinds of crap while leveling up.  Everything from the mundane (window dragging) to speed hacks.  Maybe all those years of DAoC made me more sensitive to it. 

They did, I played with some friends on release and I was picking out things that they didn't even notice just because of past DAOC experience (especially window dragging to jump ontop of objects). As far as specific flying hacks, I didnt see anything. I did see a few teleportations, but apparently that was the 'client lag' feature that I must have missed on the box.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 09:08:10 PM

If Punkbuster was active in this game, we would all know it, as the load times would be pushed to BF2 times.

Hmmm - distinct lack of WAR mention there  Ohhhhh, I see.

God, loading times are one of the things that I hate with WAR - I can make a cuppa, feed the baby, wash the dishes, pleasure the missus and STILL I haven't loaded a screen.

*not necessarily simultaneously

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 04:05:30 AM

I get the movement hacks (speed and flying) but how on earth did they make it possible to self rez.

That baffles me.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 07:07:07 AM

I get the movement hacks (speed and flying) but how on earth did they make it possible to self rez.

That baffles me.

Its just a teleport, hit respawn and you respawn where you died rather than back in town.

I am the .00000001428%
Le0
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 06:55:56 AM

that's bullshit, if such hacks existed every morons would use them and be noticed
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 07:06:57 AM

that's bullshit, if such hacks existed every morons would use them and be noticed

awesome, for real

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR client is hackable  
Jump to: