Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:19:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Network of Ninja (or Sauced & Schild!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Network of Ninja (or Sauced & Schild!)  (Read 45672 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #70 on: July 05, 2009, 02:22:25 PM

Made a cyborg. Gonna do the same thing, only ignore all the stats besides "HIT STUFF" and "MORE HEALTH" and see how that goes.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Loot makes the biggest difference.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #71 on: July 05, 2009, 04:42:02 PM

Hmmm - stopped responding on me while I was trying to recycle loot.  Can access the help menu, but nothing else responds.  And of course I did not save :/

edit.  I like it so far - extremely addicting. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:13:47 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: July 05, 2009, 09:29:43 PM

Been putting my points into the ability that helps you find better loot.  Mistake?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: July 05, 2009, 10:16:29 PM

Anyone else finding the text really hard to read? Thin white on crossed green isn't the easiest...  Need to be able to make it full screen.
schild
Administrator

Reply #74 on: July 05, 2009, 10:45:39 PM

Anyone else finding the text really hard to read? Thin white on crossed green isn't the easiest...  Need to be able to make it full screen.

Some people do, some people don't. Hold down left alt and use your mouse wheel, you can make the whole page bigger, including the flash app.

Been putting my points into the ability that helps you find better loot.  Mistake?

I can't say I'd recommend that early on.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: July 05, 2009, 11:08:39 PM

Played up to level 6ish, character was about level 6 too.

Vagrant, 24P, 42I, 10L, 27E, 32AGI, 28Ddef, 0Mvmnt, 90HP, 49% to hit, 3-8 damage, 8% crit, 23%mitigation, 8%dodge.

Was saving talents for level 8, but it seems that when you close and reload the ones you had saved disappear?

At this point the levels have all been the same for the first 6 though, so I'm going to give it a rest.
schild
Administrator

Reply #76 on: July 05, 2009, 11:14:38 PM

Was saving talents for level 8, but it seems that when you close and reload the ones you had saved disappear?
That's because there's no reason to save points.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: July 06, 2009, 07:40:23 AM

Eh?

View range can be a bit tricky when you have big blast range weapons. Have to hit something that is sometimes nearly off screen unless you want to kill yourself also. (Blast range 4 weapons can make things pretty easy)

Also I found a typo! In the cascade manufacturing journal thingo the last line says "many of the weapons in this simulator are base on their designs."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 08:00:48 AM by lamaros »
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #78 on: July 06, 2009, 10:17:58 AM

Gratz on the release of your game, boys! I'm so proud of you both. I retweeted Sauced's Twitter update, then some weirdo "RIPJacko" RT'd mine. You guys are huge in Estonia!

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #79 on: July 06, 2009, 10:28:31 AM

Das rundenbasierte Rollenspiel 'Cyber Recession Warrior - Edgar' versucht eine Mischung aus zwei der beliebtesten Klassiker: Das Prinzip von Diablo mit dem Kampfsystem von Fallout. Erkunde ein zufällig generiertes Cyberspace Dungeon in dem nicht nur die Gegner, sondern auch alle Items an den jeweiligen Level angepasst werden.

Don't forget Germany.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #80 on: July 06, 2009, 10:30:08 AM

Das rundenbasierte Rollenspiel 'Cyber Recession Warrior - Edgar' versucht eine Mischung aus zwei der beliebtesten Klassiker: Das Prinzip von Diablo mit dem Kampfsystem von Fallout. Erkunde ein zufällig generiertes Cyberspace Dungeon in dem nicht nur die Gegner, sondern auch alle Items an den jeweiligen Level angepasst werden.

Don't forget Germany.

The round-based role performance ' Cyber Recession Warrior - Edgar' tries a mixture from two of the most popular classical authors: The principle by Diablo with the combat system of fall out. Explore a coincidentally generated CyberSpace Dungeon in that not only the opponents, but also all Items to the respective level to be adapted.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: July 06, 2009, 10:31:02 AM

Interweb translations are the best.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #82 on: July 06, 2009, 11:02:26 AM

I like it.  Bookmarked as a time waster @ work.

Good job guys. Dig the music.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #83 on: July 06, 2009, 04:23:19 PM

schild liked my reaction so much he put it on the page!
deb
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: July 06, 2009, 04:39:30 PM

Not bad at all.

I made it to level eight and the repetitiveness is starting to take a toll on me. But the atmosphere is rather great and adding new kinds of mobs - or should I play on to encounter some? - etc shouldn't be too laborious should you develop the game further.

schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: July 06, 2009, 04:41:51 PM

shouldn't be too laborious should

You'd be surprised.   ACK!
deb
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: July 06, 2009, 04:49:21 PM

Well yeah, I'm sure you're right.

But you've got a great base - both the feel and also code-wise, I assume - to build on if you ever feel like doing so.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: July 06, 2009, 04:58:07 PM

Can you make the music available as a soundtrack?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: July 06, 2009, 05:00:17 PM

Very addicting, i still can't tell the difference in those save tables.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #89 on: July 06, 2009, 05:01:01 PM

Very addicting, i still can't tell the difference in those save tables.

Hmm?
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #90 on: July 06, 2009, 07:19:19 PM

I think he means the final product Save table/bed/cot from "one pixel is off, stupid isometrics" table from the earlier version.

Edited because of improper comma placement due to terrible typing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:36:40 PM by voodoolily »

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #91 on: July 06, 2009, 07:28:13 PM

Oh rite. Well, I'm glad he can't! Or something!
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #92 on: July 06, 2009, 09:34:14 PM

guys this is impressive.  Well done. 
BoatApe
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: July 06, 2009, 10:01:10 PM

Damn fine game gentlemen!

Had to turn the music off for a bit to catch some of the other cool sounds - love the "door unlock" sound.

And for some reason a "Rusty Oswald" just sounds dirty...
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #94 on: July 06, 2009, 10:39:51 PM

Turning music off cleared almost all my bugs.  Ya know, fyi.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: July 06, 2009, 11:07:18 PM

Is this the place to nitpick about things you probably already know about?
Code:
.B
A#
Moving from A to B, where # is a wall, takes 3 AP when it should only cost 2 (unless you split it into two moves). It's also difficult/impossible to target ground behind spider nests. A "move only" modifier key would be nice.

Having fun so far with my all-luck vagrant. Shooting 5 times in a turn is pretty great.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: July 06, 2009, 11:34:21 PM

Yeah, the performance tweaks I made to get the fairly standard pathing algorithm to run fast enough for me left a few flaky bits like that in there.

And the nests are, indeed, a bit too big for the "spec" of mob sizes our engine likes handling.  It's annoying if you run into it early, when the hit % really needs that extra square or two.

Both issues were declared regression risks and left in as sad reminders of my imperfection.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: July 07, 2009, 12:51:20 AM

Here I thought I was being perceptive, and I never even noticed that range affects hit %. Ohhhhh, I see. Guess I'll keep my other nitpicks to myself! Not like they stop me from playing the game anyway.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #98 on: July 07, 2009, 05:32:15 AM

Really reminds me of Fallout,nice work. Will spread the word. INT Affect Attribute bonus per level <---One thing I obsess so much but never put points to confirm it.

Hit level 4. Grenade made a big difference at the spider levels. I just kept aoeing them and with berserk I could throw twice a round. Perfect for those generators!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Fun game. You took good mix of concepts.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 05:59:24 AM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: July 07, 2009, 07:54:06 AM

Guess I'll keep my other nitpicks to myself!

Please don't!  I like talking about it, and learning from it.  I'm still planning on doing patches til we get sick of it, so I can still fix plenty.
schild
Administrator

Reply #100 on: July 07, 2009, 10:05:36 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: July 07, 2009, 10:47:17 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: July 07, 2009, 11:37:09 PM

Goddamn this is hard to put down. It has occurred to me that my love of procedural content may be bordering upon unhealthy (based on some of my post history, you may have already come to this conclusion).
Please don't!  I like talking about it, and learning from it.  I'm still planning on doing patches til we get sick of it, so I can still fix plenty.
Oh, well okay then! Well the combat movement talent effectively doubles your movement speed, but only if you split up your move into two-tile chunks. I'm guessing this is not the intended behavior, but I am abusing the hell out of it anyway. Who needs Shifty?

Also, the balance doesn't feel tuned quite right. In the high-single digits my vagrant was just barely edging by, at times entering a level only to kill a few spiders and then run out before getting overwhelmed. Admittedly, part of my problem may have been putting every point into agility, but now at level 21, on game level 20, I'm pretty much tearing through everything with nigh-impunity. Spiders get shot down as quickly as they are created; drones give me a little trouble if there are two generators or I get bad attack/disable device rolls, but nothing I can't run away from if necessary. I have 88% hit chance without really trying (no hit talents) and 44% dodge (my goal is to see if the engine will let me hit 100% dodge and be invincible; don't spoil it for me!). The spiders I'm handily dispatching now are actually worth more experience proportional to my level than the ones I was struggling with ten levels ago, which doesn't seem right.

I'm curious though, how do you even go about trying to balance a project like this? Do you have certain builds in mind when you make the skills and item tables, or just throw in a bunch of cool stuff, see what naturally emerges, and tune everything until it works? Do you have arcane formulae that let you balance (say) the dodge contribution from agi with the loot contribution from luck? How many talent/stat/item combos do you have to test before you feel confident that you're not missing the one SUPER AWESOME character build that trivializes the game?

And in case you're wondering, I'm the vagrant on top of the hardcore leaderboards.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #103 on: July 08, 2009, 12:11:33 AM

I like it.

I found out that if I have a stack of ANTI-VIRUS FLOPPY in my locker and doubleclick another stack in, it adds to the first stack and then makes a second stack.  I had one in the locker and two in my pack, after sending my pack floppies to the locker I had one stack of three and one stack of two.  I took the stack of three into my pack and put it back, so now I have a stack of three and a stack of five in my locker.

Edit for maths.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: July 08, 2009, 12:15:53 AM

Hardcore mode seems less hardcore when you can just run out of a level, heal, and then run into a new randomly generated one whenever you meet trouble. I don't think I've died with any of my characters yet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Network of Ninja (or Sauced & Schild!)  
Jump to: