Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:39:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Network of Ninja (or Sauced & Schild!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Network of Ninja (or Sauced & Schild!)  (Read 45443 times)
schild
Administrator

on: January 19, 2009, 01:40:29 PM

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:25:50 PM

You should outsource your pixel art to Korea.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 02:27:00 PM

You should outsource your pixel art to Korea.

Because Korea is so well-known for its pixel-art industry? Or because it's free?

Surely, it's one of the two.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 03:22:50 PM

you seem to have already mastered one good technique -- create an outline and repeat it with different shades for different items (the swords in the post).  Just keep that up and be crafty -- e.g. add pseudo-particle affects on the same model (a glowy) and vary the aura for an other unique item.    Keep at it :)

schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 03:00:46 AM

you seem to have already mastered one good technique -- create an outline and repeat it with different shades for different items (the swords in the post).  Just keep that up and be crafty -- e.g. add pseudo-particle affects on the same model (a glowy) and vary the aura for an other unique item.    Keep at it :)

That's particularly easy in cases where it's not isometric, like the swords (even though they're largely ACK!), but on isometric stuff it's not quite that easy.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:21:10 AM

What is actually wrong about the 'wrong' Save... table?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:36:19 AM

Look at the legs really closely. That's where it's easiest to see.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:54:17 AM

It becomes fairly obvious once you drop a box around it. While I'm in no position to possibly write a tutorial on pixel art (yet?), the problem with the degree is something you wouldn't notice until you dropped it in-game unless you've been doing pixel art long enough to see it. Until I made this (amateurish) mistake, I didn't notice such things. This resulted in doing a number of things over again from scratch, including the majority of the tiles.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 05:21:38 AM

I feel like the guy who couldn't see the sailboat in Mall Rats.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 07:23:27 AM

2 over. One up.

Good luck guys, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
damijin
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 09:19:20 AM

I've been among the few who have known about this title for a little while, and as time goes on, I grow more and more genuinely excited about it. I wasn't entirely sure what you guys would come up with. I knew you knew your shit when it comes to games, but I wasn't sure you'd be able to translate it to the Flash medium, or keep a project scale that was big enough to be awesome, but small enough to actually get done. As time goes on, it seems more and more likely that this will be one of the most bad ass games in 2009. Keep drawing pixels.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 07:12:33 AM

Fuck your RPG.  I tough you were making a TCG.

Still, congrats for living your dream.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 11:06:31 AM

Fuck your RPG.  I tough you were making a TCG.

What? What made you think that?
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 11:21:22 AM

I won't find a direct quote cause your post count is too high but you usually agree that there's easy money to be done with a good online TCG.  I also tough you had a card game into the back of your head or your own plan to eventually do one.  Maybe I misinterpreted one of your old post.

schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 11:42:24 AM

I won't find a direct quote cause your post count is too high but you usually agree that there's easy money to be done with a good online TCG.  I also tough you had a card game into the back of your head or your own plan to eventually do one.  Maybe I misinterpreted one of your old post.
I have like 5 card games in the back of my head and it's not necessarily easy money, but with MTGO being a fat mess there's obviously space in the marketplace.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 04:46:37 PM

Yeah, I've heard grumblings out of UO people for years about how much work goes into pixel art and how tough it is to find people who are good at it anymore. I think originally they just did everything in 3D and scanned it into sprites.

Grats on going for it. We'll try to refrain from any excessive "Critic becomes artist? Haha, kill!" impulses. Your sensibilites are much more similar to my own than it usually seems, so I'll be curious to see what you guys come up with.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

I really don't care if my pixel "art" is insulted. It's a nightmare. That's all there is too it, and the sum total of me working seriously on pixel art goes back to me working on the game. I've tried it before, but I didn't have the time to invest back then. Now I do, and it's no easier. My only response would be "you do better." awesome, for real

And yea, if I'd done it in 3D and used screenshots, it would've been dog easy and had no charm whatsoever. See: Diablo 2. When it came out, sure, great, now, lolol. Then look at Cave Story, fucking oozing timeless charm. Our game will probably not ooze charm, but it certainly can't get uglier Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Heh.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 10:04:24 AM

Could have been an old discussion between myself and schild about a card game that I designed on paper and am not really working on (see the thread where I'm "learning" C#), but I don't recall it being discussed publicly at the time.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 08:28:21 PM

We'd have more blog posts if development wasn't more important. Hoping to get something up by this weekend though.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 03:18:09 PM

Is it too personal to ask how you can afford to work on this game.  Is it full time development or you both kept a sideline?  You were broke a couple weeks ago, did you get an investor?

schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 05:36:50 PM

Is it too personal to ask how you can afford to work on this game.  Is it full time development or you both kept a sideline?  You were broke a couple weeks ago, did you get an investor?

I've been running on fumes for a while now. Investor? Har, sadly no. But I can't say I'd want an investor on a flash game. I work on it full time because the economy is a big pile of shit. Sauced can answer for himself.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 06:08:32 AM

I could hook you up with a bag of funions.

voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 12:46:38 PM

I've been running on fumes for a while now. Investor? Har, sadly no. But I can't say I'd want an investor on a flash game. I work on it full time because the economy is a big pile of shit. Sauced can answer for himself.

Oh, I can answer for him. He's been basically working two full-time jobs since October, but only one of them pays. It's what I get for "encouraging" him.    ACK! swamp poop DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS (in that order)

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 03:48:32 PM

Update!: When is a game a game?

No real information inside! Squee! Tighter than Fort Knox up in this mofo.

Edit: Also, a post that has nothing to do with our game in any way except for maybe that intangible "spirit" bit.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:29:24 PM by schild »
Cory Jacobs
Terracotta Army

It's so bad.

Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 08:22:03 PM

Any actual information... I demandz it!

A - Z is for Cory, who is awesome in every way.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 05:29:33 PM

Life begins at conception!

Also today I made friends with a real game musician so I can get him to score my game if I ever actually write it. awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 12:17:08 PM

Becoming a game is kind of like becoming a woman. It's not a game until it gets played.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 06:28:51 AM

Ha, you almost said "It's not a game until I can use the proceeds to buy pretty things."

schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 02:08:00 PM

The game is almost complete.

That said, it has a name, blog post incoming.
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 03:01:22 PM

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 03:04:36 PM

Strange.

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 03:05:30 PM

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 03:11:54 PM

NDA  why so serious?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 03:27:33 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 03:13:48 PM

Hey! You in the front! Pipe down!
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 03:15:23 PM

Please do not violate the NDA.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Network of Ninja (or Sauced & Schild!)  
Jump to: