Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:45:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The dwarvening 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The dwarvening  (Read 81125 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #105 on: January 21, 2009, 10:50:53 AM

Remove any hauling tasks by your farmers except maybe food to see if that gets them moving.  Also make sure to toggle cooking off for seeds in the kitchen menu.  (z -> kitchen)

There isn't anything to haul since no one is doing anything, but I'll turn that off anyway.  I don't have a kitchen, so they would not have cooked the seeds.  Specifically I am talking about plump helmet seeds.

I am truly impressed that no one has died so far, what with the lack of shelter until mid-fall, lack of kitchen, lack of booze... lack of anything.  I told those assholes NO ONE GETS ANYTHING UNTIL YOU MAKE SOME CHARCOAL and I meant it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: January 21, 2009, 10:57:33 AM

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Engraving still sucks total fucking ass.

I had a lovely set of bedrooms, but I needed to engrave to improve the quality.

Fuck.  It's like a collision in an ASCII factory.

Fuck that.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: January 21, 2009, 11:00:48 AM

Ah, Sorry, you can toggle it off.  Works really well.

I am a dumbass.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #108 on: January 21, 2009, 12:28:39 PM

This is the best thing ever.  I enjoy reading it, so thanks for taking the time.  This is an ideal game for me, except I am painfully aware that it would be beyond my ken.  If only they would make usability, interface, and basic graphical representations a priority, then I would immediately jump in.  I look forward to the day when/if they do.  Until then, your saga is all I have!
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: January 21, 2009, 05:26:42 PM

Remove any hauling tasks by your farmers except maybe food to see if that gets them moving.  Also make sure to toggle cooking off for seeds in the kitchen menu.  (z -> kitchen)

There isn't anything to haul since no one is doing anything, but I'll turn that off anyway.  I don't have a kitchen, so they would not have cooked the seeds.  Specifically I am talking about plump helmet seeds.

I am truly impressed that no one has died so far, what with the lack of shelter until mid-fall, lack of kitchen, lack of booze... lack of anything.  I told those assholes NO ONE GETS ANYTHING UNTIL YOU MAKE SOME CHARCOAL and I meant it.

You have to turn on Wood Burning (it's off by default).

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #110 on: January 21, 2009, 08:12:44 PM

Ah, Sorry, you can toggle it off.  Works really well.
You can also edit the ini file, there's an option to turn it off by default.

Lant: You've become a ranger (from animal dissector). Better at hunting. You're bringing in quite the stocks of meat!
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #111 on: January 21, 2009, 08:54:22 PM

Episode Four: Progeny and Projects (part 2)

Oh, the elves arrive again to trade! It's the same caravan leader. I'd know his snooty attitude and pointed ears anywhere. Well, maybe they'll sing a different tune...

When they have to walk through fresh goblin vomit and entrails! The guards easily dispatch the hostiles, losing only a dog who was caught in the melee, and in celebration they leave the bodies right in the corridor to be run or walked over. Dwarves don't believe in cleanliness, so expect to see those bodies there come NEXT spring.

I trade the elves the last 6 bins of my rock instruments (minus the bins, of course). After demanding 5000 profit, I manage to convince the bastard to take them. In exchange, I get more wood, leather, and cloth. We'll see if they come back next year.

Right after they leave, our yearly batch of young wastrels arrive!

And with it, of course, comes more room for nobles at the top. Before he can even get inside, one of the new dwarves starts blubbering about shiny glass and baubles and then stands in the field looking confused. Good luck there, guy.

One of these recruits looks familiar... Maybe a brother of somebody?

The worthless pesants are rounded up, shoved crossbows, and told to go practice until they can hit something other than themselves or their fellow dwarves.

For some reason, they absolutely refuse to practice. I'm not sure why, as they have crossbows and bolts and targets in the barracks; I'll have to cut their rations until they listen to reason. Merusk is accidentally shoved a crossbow and herded in with the rest, but after smashing several by trying to use them as improvised picks, he is dishonorably discharged from the military.

Oh, look who's getting uppity again. With a whole 50 dwarves in the settlement, Mr. Fancybritches not only demands better rooms, but, like all good despots, makes an unreasonable mandate:

I can only assume this is so that he can jail the undesirables with impunity, as we have no lay pewter at all.

Sure enough, that poor deranged guy outside finally snaps, hauls off and hits the nearest moving thing  - Lantyssa.

She sustains a minor injury to her forearm and runs inside to get help. Before "help" could arrive to "subdue" the insane dwarf, yet another goblin raiding party takes care of that little problem themselves:

Fare thee well, noble dwarf. We barely knew thee. No, really, you never even made it inside. If it's any consolation, the goblins were quickly dispatched by our now seasoned veteran wrestlers.

Things are quiet for a time. Work continues on the great construction project:

The humans arrive to trade. We shift from our previous source of income, rock instruments, to our new source of income:

Absolutely everything that was carried, worn, or wielded by the goblin raiders or any other hostiles unlucky enough to wander near. As you can see, we've accumulated quite a lot in a very short time. Enough to buy out almost everything they have brought with them. This will be our income for the next few years and will supplement it for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, the elves require clean weapons and clothes - the humans and dwarves will take pretty much anything.

If I've missed you, speak up so you too can grow fat, lazy, and die of old age under the hedonistic rule of a benevolent and wise leader.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:03:08 PM by bhodi »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #112 on: January 21, 2009, 09:02:21 PM

I'm very pleased that I'm ensconced away at my desk working on my letterforms while the rest of you have to deal with "the real world" awesome, for real
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #113 on: January 21, 2009, 10:05:49 PM

May I live longer than I lived last time.

cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #114 on: January 21, 2009, 11:34:42 PM

Feel free to add me as a Stonecrafter or Metalsmith guy. Or any crafting profession really.
Hoth
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: January 22, 2009, 12:21:45 AM

If there is some sort of lurker profession I would be honored to become one of your easy disposable dwarven slaves.

Strangely addictive this game is when read. When played it feels like some sort of Ascii inferno on my screen.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: January 22, 2009, 12:48:06 AM

I DEMAND WE FIND ADAMANTINE! (just predicting my strange mood)

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #117 on: January 22, 2009, 04:05:24 AM

That wee thing looked like a pick.  I thought it was some damned elven creation with as flimsy and weak as it was.  How was I to know what to do with it?  I hit things all day! Give me a good axe, then I'll show you some proper hitting... on some rocks!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: January 22, 2009, 08:49:47 AM

Why do I attract all the crazies?!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #119 on: January 22, 2009, 09:03:08 AM

Karma?  Maybe you were a crazy in another life and now you get to experience the other side.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #120 on: January 22, 2009, 11:03:55 AM

This is hilarious. Oh dwarf fortress. why so serious?
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #121 on: January 22, 2009, 11:45:10 AM

Want you to know I love and hate you all.  The damn thread has pushed me over that edge of going "How the fuck can someone understand the damn interface!" to "Holy shit this is cool!"

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: January 22, 2009, 02:04:46 PM

Wow. I'm digging this game hardcore right now...except I got to the point in the wiki tutorial where it says "Assign some crops to your farms!" And I have no idea how to do that. What is the succession of keys that I press on my keyboard to make them Plump Helmets? EDIT: Oh crap, nevermind, it's the + and - keys. YAY DWARVES!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #123 on: January 22, 2009, 03:07:31 PM

The + and - keys navigate most menus.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: January 22, 2009, 06:42:16 PM

Wow. I'm digging this game hardcore right now...except I got to the point in the wiki tutorial where it says "Assign some crops to your farms!" And I have no idea how to do that. What is the succession of keys that I press on my keyboard to make them Plump Helmets? EDIT: Oh crap, nevermind, it's the + and - keys. YAY DWARVES!

Don't forget to assign crops for each season. (a,b,c,d)

Why don't you try our other games?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: January 23, 2009, 08:27:19 AM

Dammit, now I know what flashing water means.

Seal the doors.  Those 7 in there are dead already.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: January 23, 2009, 09:29:11 AM

Did you tunnel into water?

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: January 23, 2009, 09:52:01 AM

Seal the doors.  Those 7 in there are dead already.

You built a submarine?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #128 on: January 23, 2009, 10:41:08 AM

It's great how you say that but don't tell me how.  Good thing I got Dwarf Manager for such emergencies.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: January 23, 2009, 11:09:45 AM

Did you tunnel into water?

Did I ever.  I think they've tweaked the pressure rules also;  it filled up this massive room faster than Honda.

Alas, 4 of the men didn't make it out.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #130 on: January 23, 2009, 03:45:53 PM

Just an additional note, if you run into flashing red, REALLY make sure you stop  why so serious?.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: January 23, 2009, 08:49:08 PM

It's great how you say that but don't tell me how.  Good thing I got Dwarf Manager for such emergencies.

I was the one who mentioned DM in the first place!

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: January 24, 2009, 04:58:07 AM

Further learning :  When you make an engraved and awesome circular tomb area to house your honored dead kings, be careful;  those fuckers put cows and sheep in there.

swamp poop

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: January 24, 2009, 06:02:03 AM

Yeah, make sure you turn off pets.  I think there's a setting you can make in the ini that turns pet burial off by default, because my latest game where I started with a fresh ini is the only one where I had to actively do it.  I did make a pet cemetary for my game though.  I figure if I bury them where I know then there's less chance of muffy getting the good tomb.

Edit:

[COFFIN_NO_PETS_DEFAULT:YES]

That should fix it in the init.ini.  I went to look it up since I don't want it either.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:04:13 AM by Lantyssa »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: January 24, 2009, 07:39:22 AM

Yeah, I know now.  I can't seem to disinter them tho.

Here Lies Thrain, King Under The Mountain. Bharak Khazad, Khazad Ai-Menu

Here Lies Florence.  She Was A Good Cow.

*Sigh*

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: January 24, 2009, 09:06:37 AM

Dwarves will only practice with wooden or bone bolts - they won't waste metal ammunition.

Also, the cats being injured thing is a bug, caused by cats trying to pick up things they've killed. Cats don't have hands, however, thus the injured message: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Cat_cancels_Store_Item_in_Stockpile:_Too_injured.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: January 25, 2009, 12:46:17 PM

Put me down as anything, too. Damn, I didn't realize what they meant by "Losing is fun" until one of my dwarves died and I had to have a little burial for him. That, plus putting a butcher near the dining room got kind of stinky.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #137 on: January 25, 2009, 04:29:27 PM

Damn, I didn't realize what they meant by "Losing is fun" until one of my dwarves died and I had to have a little burial for him. That, plus putting a butcher near the dining room got kind of stinky.

Did these two things have anything to do with one another?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: January 25, 2009, 05:36:15 PM

Soylent Green is Dwarves!

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: January 25, 2009, 07:15:41 PM

Damn, I didn't realize what they meant by "Losing is fun" until one of my dwarves died and I had to have a little burial for him. That, plus putting a butcher near the dining room got kind of stinky.

Did these two things have anything to do with one another?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hah, no, the butcher spilled blood and guts out the door before the other guy died. But I thought about butchering him. Mmm dwarfjerky!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The dwarvening  
Jump to: