Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:58:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The dwarvening 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The dwarvening  (Read 81113 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 08:10:44 AM

I set up DF to use the Guybrush and those suggested graphics but it seemed blurry.  Rather than work on that, I'm going to do other things that are not DF.  In the meantime, I have decided on my dwarf persona: Lushy McPissdrunk, village boozer and general layabout.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 08:18:28 AM

Toss my name in as a dwarf.  No rquests on the job, I'll haul your stone - you damn slave driver - if that's what needs be done.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 12:49:59 PM

How do you get it to use so much vertical space?  I can make the window larger, but most of it is black space.  I know I've adjusted this before, but it's been too long since I did it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 01:49:28 PM

How do you get it to use so much vertical space?  I can make the window larger, but most of it is black space.  I know I've adjusted this before, but it's been too long since I did it.

You probably need to change [GRAPHICS_BLACKS_SPACE=NO]. I tried to be as clear as I could, here in terms of configuration.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 02:34:18 PM

Finally got everything to work as it should and, as expected, it's sucking the productivity at work right out of me.

All credit to Toady, he's really, really brought it along since last I saw it.  Much, much more fun.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 03:04:09 PM

Oh, that GRID is new.  I didn't want to muck with a new version as I like my custom graphics, but guess I will now.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 04:54:27 PM

Go ahead and put me down, please.  Guess as an Engraver.

Also a huge fan of this game, may have to restart again.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 10:37:58 PM

Oh man... Don't make your cave entrance right next to a volcano... Unless you like fire imps.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 06:57:47 AM

I am partial to settling in the middle of a human town.  I dig straight down and begin dismantling their town for my own use.  I wonder if he fixed that?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 08:24:47 AM

Oh man... Don't make your cave entrance right next to a volcano... Unless you like fire imps.

This gives me an idea,Trapped fire imps in cages surrounded with booze stockpiles,when siege comes all dwarves inside release imps into booze stockpiles,booze explodes,goblins run around burning haha.I'll have to try this not sure if you can trap imps tho.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 09:45:13 AM

If you build near an open pool of magma, I heartily recommend walling it off, or channeling water to seal the top level.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 15, 2009, 01:55:03 AM

Found a motherlode of Kaolinite... Guess my dwarves are good to go if they get a bad batch of turtles.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 15, 2009, 02:30:12 AM

Quick question :  I'm seeing a huge bunch of BIG rooms.  Did they remove cave-ins ?

Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 04:23:07 AM

Yes cave in have been gone since the z-axis was added.I believe you can still force a cave in tho if you attach a lever to a support built in the center of a room.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 04:40:10 AM

That's a bit of a shame.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 06:13:23 AM

Episode's done, just need to type it up. Poor Lantyssa; You knew what would happen if you went outside, didn't you?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:21:30 AM by bhodi »
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 15, 2009, 07:37:41 AM

The cave-in still exists, but you can turn it off if you want with the init.txt.

Just watched a gobbo ambush party of 10 slaughter the elven trading party... Thanks for all this wooden crap, hippies!

And a quick question... There were no large hills where I embarked, so I just tunneled into the ground. I built a wall around the hole, but I also want to put fortifications and a barracks and maybe even a second level. How do I build a roof to an outside structure, and how do I go about making a second floor? Up stairs on the ground floor on the dirt, up a level and down stairs, then just build a floor up there?

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 15, 2009, 08:11:21 AM

And a quick question... There were no large hills where I embarked, so I just tunneled into the ground. I built a wall around the hole, but I also want to put fortifications and a barracks and maybe even a second level. How do I build a roof to an outside structure, and how do I go about making a second floor? Up stairs on the ground floor on the dirt, up a level and down stairs, then just build a floor up there?

I don't know off the top of my head but it was in one of those demo videos from the other thread.  The narrator built an outside fortification with a roof on it for archers to stand on.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #53 on: January 15, 2009, 08:22:43 AM

All your questions and more are answered here. Basically, create the walls and a stair leading up to it, then create 'floors' on the level above - that's your roof. You're correct.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:24:28 AM by bhodi »
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #54 on: January 15, 2009, 09:30:07 AM

Episode 3: An Ambush! Curse them!

Episode Goals:
Put the new recruits to work
Continue pawning our rock instruments to anyone who wanders by
Defend the base against Ambushes

When we last left our intrepid band of slaves dwarves, some new recruits had arrived! Some brought useful skills. Others...

A barracks was hastily carved and a kennel constructed to give our new hunter some dogs.

Now, for the rest of you purring maggots.

You dare to show up on my doorstep - hungry, tired and with nothing to contribute? Well, we'll see about that.

You're going to LEARN to be useful. I hope you like lower back pain, because you two are going to become real good friends. You'll work under the instruction of the two who came with USEFUL SKILLS.

Start with the Sheriff's new bedroom. He's been complaining that rough hewn walls are just not good enough for his majesty.

You've done an adequate job on this room, peasants. The Sheriff agrees.

"... Can ... we ... rest ... now?"

Rest? REST?! You want to eat, don't you? Get back to work! You don't get to rest you've finished ALL the rooms.

We've made it to Summer! It's that time of year again. More traders. I give them rock instruments and take their entire stock of leather, cloth, wood and other miscellaneous and sundry items.

There's a poor cat who's keeping me up half the night with it's racket. I really can't tell what's the matter with it; it seems to have gotten injured. It just cries and cries...

Suddenly Jade Falcon stops what he's doing, rushes to the mason's workshop, and comes out with this ... thing:

Great, that's just great. What am I supposed to do with this? I had planned on using TECHNOLOGY to solve our problems. You know, a millstone?

Throw it in the storeroom.

Oh, the traders are leaving. What's that you say? You LIKE our rock insturments? You're amazed at how we can make both drums and harps out of nothing but solid rock? Yeah, I think it's pretty amazing too.

Oh, you're done. Already?

Well, OK. Now what? Let's see, you've gotten pretty strong under long hours of grueling labor. I have an idea. I'll tell you want - I'm feeling merciful today. You can put down the chisels. You know the barracks up there? That's going to be your new home. You're to be our new guards! Go ahead and lift weights or spar or whatever it is you do for a while. I'll give you weapons when you're strong enough not to kill each other with them.

Finally - all quiet. Except for that damn cat. I think I hear something outside. What's that?

Oh, not a prob...

(part 2 to follow)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:32:38 AM by bhodi »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 15, 2009, 12:33:25 PM

Episode's done, just need to type it up. Poor Lantyssa; You knew what would happen if you went outside, didn't you?
My soul is free and that is all that matters.

Besides, that was obviously some hack camping my name.  I made sure they got what was coming to them.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #56 on: January 15, 2009, 01:02:26 PM

Can I be an elite wrestler?

Whatcha gonna do, when it's just me and you, and the red white and blue, BROTHERRRR!?

Where's all my lil Skyamaniacs?
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 15, 2009, 02:14:26 PM

Reading about Dwarf Fortress seems far more interesting to me than playing it.

Shit, it's the EVE Syndrome!

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 15, 2009, 02:20:35 PM

I can't find any metal.

At All.

Time for a new map.

:(

Edited to add :  I've just noted that you've used my name for one of your dwarves.  And he's a fucking metalsmith.  High high high Irony.  (PUN !)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:23:45 PM by Ironwood »

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #59 on: January 15, 2009, 02:51:21 PM

Episode 3: An Ambush! Curse them! (part 2)

I zoom and there they are - 5 goblins chasing a poor mule across the grass.

... they caught it.

After that, they head straight for the next living people.. which happens to be the caravan, unloading their trade goods at the depot.

Remember a few episodes ago where I told you about caravan guards? Things didn't turn out so well for the goblins.

Only one got away safely, he fled right and off the map. Unfortunately, there was a battle wound sustained:

She is dragged back and remains unconscious in her bedroom. It is likely she'll be bedridden for a season while the broken leg heals but will eventually make a full recovery (as it's a yellow wound). Unfortunately, I didn't see how this happened; by time I found Lantyssa, she was safely snuggled in her bed (with her dog, who also survived)

And, just like that, things abruptly return to normal. Well, as normal as things CAN be around here. Our wrestlers make progress on their bodybuilding...

Wait, what's that next to Strazos?

... You know what, I don't even want to know.

Trying to burn the last image out of my head, we have another crazy!

Schild freaks out and minutes later has decided on a change of profession:

Oh, it's a commemorative idol!

And finally, someone distinguished themselves on the wrestling mat:

He's made the head of the guards and they will all follow him from now on, including the newest recruit, Sky. I'll get into that more next episode.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:04:31 PM by bhodi »
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: January 15, 2009, 02:57:00 PM

I. fucking. Rule.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #61 on: January 15, 2009, 03:06:26 PM

What kinda of dumbass (me) chooses to be a fuckin' carpenter!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: January 15, 2009, 03:12:04 PM

Jesus.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #63 on: January 15, 2009, 05:43:52 PM

I wanted to be an Aristocrat; I got to be a Champion Wrestler. Guess it means I can still wear the robes and wigs but will have to spend more time getting waxed and tanned.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #64 on: January 15, 2009, 05:55:08 PM

Why you gotta be talking trash about me and my cow? Maybe it's a bull, and I'm practicing my bull leaping like the ancient Greeks, because I'm hardcore as hell.

I'd rather just read about the game than try to play it myself at this point. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:14:23 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 15, 2009, 11:36:16 PM

Damnit... My legendary axe user just broke his leg while sparring with a recruit... Wtf.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #66 on: January 16, 2009, 06:53:02 AM

I. fucking. Rule.
Too bad I can't grief title you. "...is taken by a fey mood!"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 16, 2009, 06:57:46 AM

Jesus.

Heh.  Win.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 16, 2009, 09:40:56 AM

Damnit... My legendary axe user just broke his leg while sparring with a recruit... Wtf.
The recruit made a bad move so the legendary axe user had to pull his blow or turn him into hamburger.  Unfortunately with his skills it meant the axe pulverized his leg.  Make the recruit do a thousand push-ups.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #69 on: January 16, 2009, 11:11:02 AM

You named your idol "Chainbleed".  Nice.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The dwarvening  
Jump to: