Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:17:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477158 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #945 on: February 15, 2013, 12:45:39 AM

Dude, that's one nice snatch you got there. DRILLING AND MANLINESS 

And 1150 lbs total for the Big Three is damn impressive.  I am hugely jealous of your bench, but even more so your squat.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: February 15, 2013, 01:49:10 AM

There's the joke I was looking for! And thanks dude. I am lucky in that physical fitness is a requisite of my job and I am afforded ample time to work on improving. We've also got trainers and nutritionists and coaches to tell us how to keep those improvements coming. So in the end, there's nothing to be jealous of - you're knocking out gangster lifts without the support that I've got! If anything I'm envious!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #947 on: February 15, 2013, 03:51:36 AM

While we're on the subject of jealousy, here's a few more things I could wish for:

-That I could go back in time and start this whole weightlifting thing as a younger man.  It's just too easy to put on extra fat at this age, and too hard to grow muscles.  It's also harder to find the time.
-That I worked out at a place where I could use chalk.  Never tried it.
-That I worked out at a place where dropping weights was allowed.  Can't push the cleans as much as I want to, and have to abstain from the snatch entirely (heh).

Nearing 40 years of age now, with a body weight around 180, and my Big Three is somewhere between 1040 and 1065.  I suppose I should be happy with that, but I guess I'm not entirely. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: February 15, 2013, 11:29:19 AM

While we're on the subject of jealousy, here's a few more things I could wish for:

-That I could go back in time and start this whole weightlifting thing as a younger man.  It's just too easy to put on extra fat at this age, and too hard to grow muscles.  It's also harder to find the time.
-That I worked out at a place where I could use chalk.  Never tried it.
-That I worked out at a place where dropping weights was allowed.  Can't push the cleans as much as I want to, and have to abstain from the snatch entirely (heh).

Nearing 40 years of age now, with a body weight around 180, and my Big Three is somewhere between 1040 and 1065.  I suppose I should be happy with that, but I guess I'm not entirely. 

Just wait!

I'm about three years older than you.  I went from running a sub 20 second 5k to Arthritis in both knees and a partial ACL tear in the other.   No squats, no deadlifts, can't even jog.

I used to think that aging was a gradual process.  It's turned out to be in waves for me.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: February 15, 2013, 12:57:06 PM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: February 15, 2013, 01:04:52 PM

Either that's a typo or slog is the secret identity of the Flash.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #951 on: February 15, 2013, 01:43:31 PM

oops sub 20 minute :)

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: March 21, 2013, 12:46:02 AM

I used a belt for the first time yesterday.  I have been consciously choosing not to use one, because I did not want to rely too much on what I considered a crutch (that was ignorance talking).  I reached a point, however, where I decided that for some of these lifts, the weights are getting a bit heavy and I need to make sure I am protecting myself a bit.  I did have a rather major disc issue not long ago, after all, which still has a rather significant psycholgical impact on me.  Anyway, as I always do, I read up a bit on what belts are intended to do and how you actually use one.  Everyone knows it is "to protect your lower back", but I have found out this is both an oversimplification as well as somewhat misleading.  Yes, it does protect your lower back, but not by simply providing and additional wall of leather that prohibits hyperextension.  That is only a tiny part of it.  What it really seems to do, when used correctly, is to provide you a cue to expand your abdominal wall and push out against the belt.  You cinch it up quite snugly, and then press against it with a fair bit of force and this causes your entire core to stabilize.  So it does protect your lower back...by making you properly recruit the core muscles on the other side of your body.  Mind blown.  It isn't a cheat, so much as a cue to help you remember to get your entire core involved.

That was the theory.  I mean, surely I was already doing this without needing a belt, right?  Well, apparently not.

So, squat day.  My squats have been going in a good direction lately.  I feel like I am finally winning the psychological battle against this terrible exercise.  This seems like the best first test of what my fancy new belt will or will not do.  I am pretty dubious to be honest.  I am also a bit self-conscious.  I don't want to be confused with Belty McBelterson who wears his during his entire training session (you really, really shouldn't), and has it on when doing his curling in the squat rack.  Whatever.  I do a couple of warmup sets without the belt.  60, 80 and then 100kg x5 reps.  I bump it up to 120kg and plan on doing 3 reps, this time with the belt on.  It should be noted that it is about a week ago that 125kg was a personal best for 5 reps, so this is getting heavy for me and my scrawny chicken legs.  I cinch up the belt and concentrate on pushing my core out against it.  Pants-shitting expression on my face before I even begin to descend.  I bang out the 3 reps without much problem.  I knew I could have done more, but I deliberately limited the set to 3 reps to make sure I had enough in the tank to go further if I wanted to.  Still, they seemed easier than usual somehow - I really could tell that my entire core was better engaged, and therefore more stabile.  I decide to go after 140kg.  Previous best here is 2 shaky reps, so I plan to duplicate that feat and hopefully do so with better form.  Not only do I then do 2 completely rock solid reps, I actually end up doing 5.  They felt amazing, and I was totally flabbergasted.  It was obvious as shit that I really had my entire body engaged in a way that I never have before.  I walked it off for a few minutes, and then went and fucking did it again, another 140x5.  WTF?  I decided to stop there, but I have no doubt that I can do even more than this, and that a new single rep PB (currently 150kg) is only a formality.

The TL;DR version - the belt had an instant and amazing impact.  Totally blown away.  I can't believe I didn't try this sooner.  I don't expect to see anything quite so dramatic in any other lifts, but this experience alone made it worth the cost.  I don't think everyone needs to run out and buy one, but in the right scenario...damn.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #953 on: March 21, 2013, 01:05:06 AM

Hooray! A new post in this thread!!

terrible exercise

Terrible exercise? Terrible exercise?! TERRIBLE EXERCISE?! ... you take that back! It's basically the greatest exercise there is!

That being said, good job man! There are few people who can actually squat more than 300 lbs.

I have actually gone in the opposite direction and I'm not using a belt. I'm also glad you're educated about the belt; I hate hearing about how it's a crutch. Like you said, it arguably makes you work a little more, but in a different way than sans belt. I imagine that at some point I'll get back there, but I'm going to try and push it as far as I can without one.

Some time ago I started with a powerlifting oriented program, and I'm having pretty good results. I am going to have to retool it a bit because in the fall I've got some pretty cardio intense training to do and unless I get after it now I'll be behind the power curve.

Progress has been pretty steady and I hate to change it up though! I've been increasing my 5 rep max each week by 5 lbs. Tomorrow I am supposed to squat 395 lbs for 5 reps (I'll probably take the belt with me). In two weeks it will be 405 lbs and the 4 plate benchmark.  According the Jim Wendler's standards, that puts my 1RM at 475 raw, which I can't even imagine me doing. Not bad for 5'10" and 195 lbs!

Once(if) I knock that out, then I plan to introduce a lot of cardio and salvage whatever strength I can. I'll see what the folks over on the Starting Strength forum have to say - they're usually pretty helpful.

Anyway glad that even if the thread is stale that you're still getting after it! Keep up the good work man!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: March 21, 2013, 01:21:16 AM

Heh.  Terrible.  It is terrible!  Terribly difficult.  Terrible on your psyche.  Terribly heavy.  There is just something about putting a shitload of weight on your back that cannot be compared to other exercises.  But you are right, it is probably the greatest exercise there is.  Either this or the DL, I can't quite make up my mind on that.  They are both great, but for wholly different reasons.

I don't regret the time spent going without a belt, and can see myself doing so again in the future.  But after what I experienced yesterday, I have no doubt that I am going to explode through the barrier I had hit.  I said in this thread back in January that I would be thrilled to do 150kg for reps in 2013, but wasn't sure if I could manage..  I am pretty sure I am going to do that very soon.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: March 21, 2013, 04:56:11 AM

Heh.  Terrible.  It is terrible!  Terribly difficult.  Terrible on your psyche.  Terribly heavy.  There is just something about putting a shitload of weight on your back that cannot be compared to other exercises.  But you are right, it is probably the greatest exercise there is.  Either this or the DL, I can't quite make up my mind on that.  They are both great, but for wholly different reasons.

I don't regret the time spent going without a belt, and can see myself doing so again in the future.  But after what I experienced yesterday, I have no doubt that I am going to explode through the barrier I had hit.  I said in this thread back in January that I would be thrilled to do 150kg for reps in 2013, but wasn't sure if I could manage..  I am pretty sure I am going to do that very soon.

Squats (and hell, deadlifts to an extent) are seriously  mental. There's just something about having to get it all set up and then voluntarily walk under that weight and get set for it.
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #956 on: March 21, 2013, 07:11:50 AM

Deadlift is the lift I have to seriously be in the zone for. I dread it every time I do it, and I don't even feel excited about it at the top of the lift. I just plain ol' sucks.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: March 21, 2013, 07:13:28 AM

I fucking hate bar squats. I'm doing deadlifts, pistols, box jumps and step work instead. Box jumps are fun.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #958 on: March 22, 2013, 04:33:10 AM

Deadlift is the lift I have to seriously be in the zone for. I dread it every time I do it, and I don't even feel excited about it at the top of the lift. I just plain ol' sucks.

Same here, at least in terms of needing to be in the zone.  This is the one lift where I can one week  barely get 200 off the ground but manage to finish the lift.  Next week I might fail to move the bar even an inch.  Week after that I pull it up with monster power.  State of mind is so important to deadlifting.  I am pretty sure I look like a complete psycho when getting ready for a heavy one.  My adrenaline starts to flow on DL day even before I get in my car and drive to the gym.  One of the things I mentally struggle with, OTOH, is that, because of my past back injury, I am terrified about trying to explode off the floor because of what it could do to my spine.  I think I could lift more if I could get over this, but I am not sure I ever will.

Squats are intimidating for a different reason, I find.  I think it is an instinctive reponse to having a lot of weight on your back and then lowering yourself with it...as if it is going to squish you dead if you fuck it up.  Also, when you are not in great squatting condition, I think they feel absolutely terrible on your quads and they just sap the energy from your body.  It takes a long time to get past that shitty feeling before they start to actually feel good.

And to be blunt, most people will never get past these issues with squats because........they are totally doing them wrong.  I don't mean somewhat less-than-perfect form (which probably describes me to an extent, I have no doubt), I mean flat out wrong.  Feet way too close together.  Not holding the bar correctly (whether high or low).  Not keeping their chin/head up.  Bending too far forward and putting all their weight forward.  Good-mornings on the way up even with super light weights.  And by God the one that they all have in common - they don't go nearly far enough down.  Most of them are doing quarter squats.  Ironically, I think I see more women getting close to good form than men.  Might be hip mobility or flexibility in general.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #959 on: March 22, 2013, 05:23:22 AM

And to be blunt, most people will never get past these issues with squats because........they are totally doing them wrong.  I don't mean somewhat less-than-perfect form (which probably describes me to an extent, I have no doubt), I mean flat out wrong.  Feet way too close together. 

This is something I've been struggling with recently. I can never quite figure out how wide my feet should be while squatting; for a while, I kept getting told that I was standing too wide, then too narrow, then too wide, and most recently, too narrow again.

I try to put my heels just outside my shoulders, with toes pointing almost forward (about 10 degrees splayed), keeping knees moving out over the toes. I've had a couple that felt really good like this, but I have no idea because I'm staring at the fucking ceiling and trying to keep my body straight enough instead of gawking at my toes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #960 on: March 22, 2013, 05:41:49 AM

And to be blunt, most people will never get past these issues with squats because........they are totally doing them wrong.  I don't mean somewhat less-than-perfect form (which probably describes me to an extent, I have no doubt), I mean flat out wrong.  Feet way too close together.

This is something I've been struggling with recently. I can never quite figure out how wide my feet should be while squatting; for a while, I kept getting told that I was standing too wide, then too narrow, then too wide, and most recently, too narrow again.

I try to put my heels just outside my shoulders, with toes pointing almost forward (about 10 degrees splayed), keeping knees moving out over the toes. I've had a couple that felt really good like this, but I have no idea because I'm staring at the fucking ceiling and trying to keep my body straight enough instead of gawking at my toes.

Everybody is different in terms of mobility in their back, hips and knees, so take ALL advice with a grain of salt...and find out what is best for you.

THAT SAID, you are not far off from what most "experts" would consider to be correct.  I have recently found out that for myself, my form improves dramatically (and I get lower and get my weight back better over my heels) when I start out with that same slightly more than shoulder width stance, and then take an extra shoe width of a step out on each side.  It looks stupid when you are standing up and see your reflection in the mirror, but at least in my case it helps everything else fall into place.  My squatting has improved significantly both in form and in terms of weight moved by taking a wider stance.  It even made me less prone to have my knees dive in, which might seem counterintuitive at first.  And if I think about it, I am pretty sure that 90 % or more of the videos I have seen of the super strong guys squatting a quadrillion pounds all have their feet out even wider than I do.  I used to think they were only doing it to shorten the distance a tad.  I no longer think that is the case.

Anyway, I have no doubt that going AT LEAST should width is a no brainer.  I don't think a true BB squat should ever be narrower than that. 

Am super curious as to what Mr Fourplates McSquatterton (climbjtree) says.  Anyone moving that much weight is probably Doing It Right.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: March 22, 2013, 06:34:31 AM

I think with squats the first thing to talk about is bar position. High bar vs. low bar.

The picture shows the front squat, the high bar squat, and the low bar squat.

Front squat has the bar resting on the delts, high bar has it on the traps, and low bar has it on the rear delts. High bar is usually the most intuitive position because of the natural shelf there. With any method, the important thing is that the bar travels up and down over the middle of your foot.

Front squats are essential to developing your olympic lifts, and high bar squats also aid in this mainly because of the much more vertical back angle.

The problem here is that with such an upright angle, you aren't fully recruiting all the muscles in your posterior chain - specifically your hamstrings. When squatting in the low bar position the angles of your hips and knees allow you to keep tension on your hamstrings, which aids you coming up out of the whole. Mark Rippetoe teaches this method because we do back  squats specifically to work your posterior chain, not to aid in oly lifts. If that's what your goal, do front squats in addition to low bar back squats.

Now on to foot positioning. Generally speaking, there are two situations in which an extra wide or sumo style deadlift are used. The first is powerlifting, and it's only used there because guys are trying to get the most out of their suits, which will store energy on the way down and provide a little assistance coming up. The second one is generally due to a lack of hip mobility and this can be corrected with stretching before hand and mobility work (www.mobilitywod.com).

That being said, I'd advocate shoulder width or just slightly wider with the toes pointed out about 25 to 30 degrees. When you get under the bar, avoid looking in the mirror or stare at the ceiling. Instead, try and keep your head in a neutral position and pick something slightly above eye level in the distance and stare at it. Back straight, stick your butt out and track your knees over your toes. Don't pause in the hole, and when your pushing up lead with your chest. Think about spreading the floor apart with your feet to recruit more muscles in your legs, rotating out with your knees to fight their tendency to rotate in, and squeeze them butt cheeks. Reset at the top and hit it again.

Since I think form is so important when weights get heavy, I usually take form pictures and videos to find my weaknesses and unfuck myself. I would encourage y'all to do the same and don't worry about looking like a doucher in the gym.

Here is an example of low bar, and I think the angle shows foot position pretty well. Feel free to critique.

I think this is usable advice, but it is my own experience. Just a dollar bill - you can take it or leave it.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:37:10 AM by climbjtree »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #962 on: March 22, 2013, 06:47:53 AM

Agreed about the low bar recommendation.  I am kind of doing something in between high and low right now (half and inch or an inch higher than your pic), slowly trying to get my form and flexibility to allow for a lower bar position.  My shoulder mobility doesn't yet allow me to go down with it as far as I like to without feeling like I am about to dislocate.  I may never get there, but I think I am okay with that.

And nice pic.  What's that, about 170 without the safeties in place?  Manly.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:49:25 AM by Cyrrex »

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #963 on: March 22, 2013, 06:50:38 AM

I'm going to print this post out and fucking glue it to the squat rack. Thanks for writing this up climbjtree!
Yoru

Reply #964 on: March 22, 2013, 07:08:08 AM

Jesus. That's some awesome advice. Tonight was supposed to be deadlift night, but I think I'll make it a squat night and practice this shit. DRILLING AND MANLINESS
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #965 on: March 22, 2013, 07:58:18 AM

Thanks guys, I'm happy if even the smallest bit of advice helps someone improve in any way! Not that I'm an expert, but I am happy to help as much as I can.

What's that, about 170 without the safeties in place?

That was 385 lbs for 5 reps. I thought I was going to die, but I made it! Last week was 390, this week it's 395, with 405 being my goal for 5RM. It's getting pretty intimidating!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: March 24, 2013, 05:06:53 AM

Set a new PB on the Rack Deadlift today.  Previous was 210 I think (haven't tried for a PB in a while).  Did 240, with wraps of course....my tiny, girl-like dwarf hands will probably never be able to grip this much weight on their own.  These are obviously quite a bit easier than regular DLs, but even so 5 and-a-half plates looks absolutely crazy on a barbell.  And your reflection in the mirror while locking it out is priceless.  Turned a deep shade of pink and looked like my arms could just fall off.  Looked like I was attempting to shit myself.  Really had to psyche myself up something crazy to even make the attempt.  Noises were made.

I have mixed feelings about this exercise.  On the one hand it feels a bit like Cheat Mode.  On the other, it is a nice confidence booster.  And surely the full body stimulation from the absolute most-you-can-possibly-lift weight is worth something?  Also much, much easier on my lower back, for obvious reasons.  If nothing else, it's a nice change of pace.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #967 on: March 24, 2013, 08:34:43 AM

What sort of grip are you using? And have you tried chalk? Are you dragging the weight up your shins?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #968 on: March 24, 2013, 10:03:19 AM

Jesus. That's some awesome advice.

It is.  Thanks climbjtree!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #969 on: March 24, 2013, 11:29:37 AM

What sort of grip are you using? And have you tried chalk? Are you dragging the weight up your shins?

1. Mixed grip.  I started out that way forever ago, and have never trained my left had to be able to handle loads facing the other way.  I am aware that best practice is to go straight grip as long as possible, but it just doesn't work for me.  Should probably mention that the bars at my gym are older than Lucifer, and the gnurling (is that a word?) is about warn completely off.  It kinda compounds my problem.

2.  Can't use chalk at my gym, and have never tried it.  I am dead curious, though.

3.  I am keeping it as close to my shins as possible without actually dragging.  I am currently considering a couple adjustments to my lift off the floor, such as pulling backwards, pulling the slack out of the bar, and doing the shin drag thing.  Kinda taking baby steps here.

Really, though, I do have small hands.  I am trying to do extra work on my grip as my limited gym time permits, but I don't know how far I will every really get with it. 

Yoru

Reply #970 on: March 24, 2013, 01:22:11 PM

If you have access to a rock simulator, straight-arm hangs on fingertip, slope or 2/3-finger grips will train the fuck out of your grip strength. Just hang until muscle failure. Once you can go over a minute on a two-finger grip, you're probably going to be fine.

Really, rock climbing in general will help your grip, as well as put all that gym-built strength and flexibility to use.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: April 04, 2013, 05:21:43 AM

If you have access to a rock simulator, straight-arm hangs on fingertip, slope or 2/3-finger grips will train the fuck out of your grip strength. Just hang until muscle failure. Once you can go over a minute on a two-finger grip, you're probably going to be fine.

Really, rock climbing in general will help your grip, as well as put all that gym-built strength and flexibility to use.

Thanks for the feeback, but unfortunately I don't have access to any such thing.  I am honestly curious, however, as to how that kind of grip strength transfers over to a deadlift grip.

Anyway, it isn't like I have a dramatic issue that I need to deal with.  I can get 400 pounds off the ground on a worn out barbell and no chalk, so it isn't like a crisis.  I would just like it to be stronger, for no other reason than that it is the first thing to give out when I go heavier.

Reading more into it, I think I might start giving hooked grip a whirl.  Any of you tried it?  Sounds painful.

Yoru

Reply #972 on: April 04, 2013, 05:54:23 AM

Thanks for the feeback, but unfortunately I don't have access to any such thing.  I am honestly curious, however, as to how that kind of grip strength transfers over to a deadlift grip.

You can also do fingertip/crimp hangs on a chin-up bar in a pinch; a rock simulator's better because of the rough surface, so you focus more on actual finger strength as opposed to fighting the sweat-slick.

I found it does help; back when I was doing 100kg deadlifts, which is a bit above my capacity at the moment, my grip wasn't going out at all. I was bouldering regularly at the V5 level at the time, which requires quite a bit of finger strength. After some disruptions due to moving, both my grip strength and lift strength have dropped somewhat, so now I'm down to 80-85kg on the deadlifts and my fingers are giving out before my arms when doing fingertip pull-ups.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: April 04, 2013, 06:28:33 AM

The climbing stuff is hardcore, I'd say for powerlifting you'll be absolutely fine doing static hangs on a chinup bar. If you can do a one-handed hang for more than 30s, you have strong grip relative to most people (who aren't climbers).

Static holds with dumbbells are good too, but they're really dull. I'm doing a lot of step-work at the moment holding dumbbells, and that usually has my forearms knackered by the end, so it's an easy way to double up the exercise.

My last suggestion for grip strength would be pinch work. Either something like plate pinch curls or something like this perhaps

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #974 on: April 04, 2013, 07:43:34 AM

I found it does help; back when I was doing 100kg deadlifts, which is a bit above my capacity at the moment, my grip wasn't going out at all. I was bouldering regularly at the V5 level at the time, which requires quite a bit of finger strength. After some disruptions due to moving, both my grip strength and lift strength have dropped somewhat, so now I'm down to 80-85kg on the deadlifts and my fingers are giving out before my arms when doing fingertip pull-ups.
My biggest problem was my wrists; climbing doesn't really reinforce whatever weird wrist stabilizing muscles you use to keep your wrist straight during bench presses or whatever, under compression. I don't think most people can do a 1 handed hang for 5 seconds, much less 30, unless it's some super-padded form fitting wrist hold. Even then, probably not. In fact, neither of my gym buddies could swing from bar to bar on the jungle gym. They'd start to swing to the next bar and their hand would just slip off. Climbers have ridiculous pinch and finger strength relative to their body weight.

I'd go with that first video, only he's cheating. Instead of bringing your wrist muscles into it by having the weight on your palm, do it where the weight is sideways so all the weight is dependent on your grip. And instead of curls, do straight arm, either in front of you or out to your sides.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:49:47 AM by bhodi »
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #975 on: April 04, 2013, 11:24:50 AM

I may be way off base with 30s, but I'm heading to the gym now so I'll see how long I can do and report back!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

edit: 16s on my right, 7s on my left once warm. Way less than I thought I could do, whoops!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:43:30 PM by K9 »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: April 04, 2013, 12:52:28 PM

Shit, now I am super curious as to how long I can hang.  And a little scared to learn the answer, because I know I am carrying extra weight these days.

In other news, I did a 105 kg clean and press today, which is a new best.  Been a long time since I even attempted more than 95 kg, so I wasn't sure what to suspect.  Yay!

Yoru

Reply #977 on: April 04, 2013, 01:52:59 PM

I may be way off base with 30s, but I'm heading to the gym now so I'll see how long I can do and report back!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

edit: 16s on my right, 7s on my left once warm. Way less than I thought I could do, whoops!

Yeah, I'm curious about this now too. I used to be able to go nearly a minute. Gonna try this on Saturday.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #978 on: April 04, 2013, 02:42:44 PM

Of related interest: came home last week to find my kids watching this programme on kiddie TV - all about extreme climbing with some  experiments showing crap like build up of lactate etc after hanging from a bar for several minutes. Interesting stuff (but maybe not available to people outside the UK)

In other gym news: amusing incident in gym today with a Bro doing heavy weights and grunting so loud it sounded like he was giving birth. A woman having a PT session the other side of the gym said very loudly "Keep pushing mate, we can see the head!"  awesome, for real

(I laughed but you probably had to be there.)  Ohhhhh, I see.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: April 05, 2013, 06:46:28 AM

No, that's pretty funny, I hope to get to use that myself one day.

Squats are weird.  Now that I pushed through the 140 kg barrier a few weeks ago, it is just shooting up.  Did 145 x5, 155 x2 and a single for 165 kg. which is obviously a PB.  They even start to feel different.  I remember about 3 months ago doing like 110 x5 or something and thinking that it was just miserably tough and uncomfortable.  Today, 145 x5 felt goddamn fantastic and they were rock solid.  I am actually really enjoying them for the first time ever, and I am pretty sure they are going to go higher still.  Now, I wonder if my legs will actually ever get bigger...

Edit:  Climbjtree, that cue you mentioned about "spreading the floor with your feet" or whatever...that's a great one, and really seems to help.  Never heard it before.  Much better than the usual "push through the floor with your heels".
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:30:03 AM by Cyrrex »

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: