Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:34:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: $150 Best Buy Gift Card, and wanting a new keyboard 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: $150 Best Buy Gift Card, and wanting a new keyboard  (Read 35868 times)
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 11:02:53 AM

I had a problem with my Lycosa in having keys just 'turn off' occasionally, requiring replugging the usb cable. Fucking annoying after a while, as it tended to happen at times of frantic hitting of many keys, like in pvp, or TF2. It seems like the Tarantula and Lycosa are both prone to it.

Good to know. Dumb question though: you sure in your frenzy you didn't hit some macro to turn off all the lights, or that instead of hitting the "-" key on the numpad you hit the * (light mode) button on that pseudo-touchscreen area? I want to know what I need to turn off so I don't do the same.

Yea, and nothing to be done about the rubber overcoat. I suppose you could replace the affected keys, but that'd require buying a new keyboard to pull them from anyway.
Not the lights turning off, just a random key becoming unresponsive. It happened sometimes just when typing normally, hit 'e' and nothing happened. It wasn't any specific key-combo, it wasn't any specific key that would become disabled. And it got worse over time. There are other reports online of the same thing, the 'all keys unresponsive, flashing lights' was from an earlier model with a bad connector setup, they fixed that by the revision mine was.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #36 on: December 29, 2008, 11:26:14 AM

I wonder if anyone actually bought one of these...

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 29, 2008, 11:39:40 AM

Yes. And it actually works ok. Unlike what I wanted to believe though, it can only do that one keyboard (used some type of film filter thingy through which the laser shoots and whatnot so only has that keyboard masked).
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #38 on: December 29, 2008, 11:54:26 AM

I'm throwing in another vote for the Saitek Eclipse II.

That thing is built like a tank, and I've beat the shit out of it. The keys are starting to get worn on mine, and it still works great. Not too geeky looking, and has the requested features.

I'm def getting another one of them when my current Eclipse II finally bites the dust, but I've had it for a couple years now.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 29, 2008, 12:01:19 PM

I'm a G15 owner and I actually really appreciate the LCD for Ventrilo and used to really appreciate it for parsing in EQ2. It's a useful tool that almost nobody has figured out how to use. If anyone wanted to know what to do with the lcd, the ACT parser for EQ2 is fantastic. I will note that I went through THREE G15s before I got one that didn't have keyboard problems. I also find myself hitting the lower left function key when i'm looking for the control.

I can't imagine not having a volume control, mute button, and illuminated keys anymore. However, when I go and get another keyboard, I'll probably look for something cheaper. While I appreciate the function keys and LCD, I don't use them enough to cough up that much again.

I would also like to express my love for WIRED devices.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 12:03:49 PM by Numtini »

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 29, 2008, 12:11:08 PM

The only thing I really don't like about my G15 (other than it's giganto size) is the fact it slows down the start up time on my PC.  Seems to want to hang up on the 'Microsoft' screen with the progress bar thingy that goes from left to right.  Completely hangs up every so often requiring a reset button push.  It's done it on every install and build I've used it on.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 29, 2008, 12:31:52 PM

pretty sure this is the old dell server class keyboard (not a quiet key and using individual cherry switches).  If so at $10 a whack it is worth investigating:

http://www.alancomputech.com/227kn.html
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: December 29, 2008, 12:47:35 PM

pretty sure this is the old dell server class keyboard (not a quiet key and using individual cherry switches).  If so at $10 a whack it is worth investigating:

Micron used the cherry switch/model m frame design for their servers back in the day also. The keyboards are good, but nowhere near the model M.

Buckling Spring >>>> Cherry Switch  awesome, for real

I need to find out if University of Texas has a surplus store.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 29, 2008, 12:59:45 PM

Micron used the cherry switch/model m frame design for their servers back in the day also. The keyboards are good, but nowhere near the model M.

Buckling Spring >>>> Cherry Switch  awesome, for real

Each cherry switch had it's own lil spring inside i guess i don't understand the difference between that and what you are describing.  All I know is the cheapy dell server keyboards were loud as fuck, built like tanks, had individually spring loaded keys soldered directly to the PCB (made em hard as hell to clean in the event of a soda spill) and had the best tactile feedback of any keyboard i ever used.

The ones I junked were at the point of having all the characters wearing off the keys, for $10 I am tempted to roll the dice and order one of these as a backup keyboard.  If it ends up being a quiet key i'll just head straight to the trash with it.

I need to find out if University of Texas has a surplus store.
um wouldn't any starving student with access to the computer lab qualify as a surplus store?
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: December 29, 2008, 01:02:52 PM

Each cherry switch had it's own lil spring inside i guess i don't understand the difference between that and what you are describing.  All I know is the cheapy dell server keyboards were loud as fuck, built like tanks, had individually spring loaded keys soldered directly to the PCB (made em hard as hell to clean in the event of a soda spill) and had the best tactile feedback of any keyboard i ever used.

The ones I junked were at the point of having all the characters wearing off the keys, for $10 I am tempted to roll the dice and order one of these as a backup keyboard.  If it ends up being a quiet key i'll just head straight to the trash with it.

Cherry switches feel different, have a more shallow throw, and you can't remove the tops and the shell for easy cleaning/restoration. On top of that, they're far more mechanical and prone to breaking if shit gets in them. I could probably let a cat piss on my Model M and the only thing that would happen is it would smell. A cherry switch keyboard would outright break. Hell, Model Ms have drainage grates on the bottom and the panel is slanted.

um wouldn't any starving student with access to the computer lab qualify as a surplus store?

I'm a starving non-college student.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 29, 2008, 01:14:57 PM

Did a little research and the $10 227kn I had linked to is exactly the keyboard I was thinking of, here is the more detailed info:

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/20188/subcatid/0/id/256905
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 29, 2008, 01:46:26 PM

Yep.  This is the type of keyboard I have a few of stashed away.  Since I don't care about the letters wearing off, I'm guessing my current keyboard is going to outlast the ports and any adapters for them existing on computers.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #47 on: December 29, 2008, 01:57:20 PM

It's hard to explain to somebody who has never used one but a buckling spring keyboard has a unique feel to it. As you press down on a key the spring offers some resistance until the spring reaches its "buckling" point at which point you hear the distinctive click and the resistance drops dramatically until the key reaches the end of the travel. You only have to press the key down till the spring buckles (which triggers a hammer to press down on the membrane switch) for the keyboard to register the keypress. This means there's precise feedback given to your fingers (and ears) on when the keystroke is registered instead of having to "guess" on the minimum amount of force needed to activate a key.

If you are a "heavy-handed" typer and just mash your keys until they reach the end of their travel a buckling spring keyboard isn't going to do anything for you. If you like to type with a "light touch" for optimum speed, however, there is no better feedback mechanism than the buckling spring. For me there was a significant speed difference between typing on my original IBM PC keyboard and my Apple ][ keyboard (the start of a long line of medicore Apple keyboards) but these days I like quiet keyboards and haven't used buckling spring keyboards since the PS/2 (the computer not peripheral interface) days.
schild
Administrator

Reply #48 on: December 29, 2008, 02:01:19 PM

One of the key differences between Cherry and Buckling spring - and keep in mind, I never look at the keyboard when I'm typing, hell, I don't look at what I'm typing half the time because I know I'm going to make minimal errors - I can *hear* when I've made a typo. Of course, it took me like 6 years straight of using a buckling spring keyboard for 6-8 hours a day to get there. But seriously, I could do this blind and catch my typos.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 29, 2008, 02:06:35 PM

It's hard to explain to somebody who has never used one but a buckling spring keyboard has a unique feel to it. As you press down on a key the spring offers some resistance until the spring reaches its "buckling" point at which point you hear the distinctive click and the resistance drops dramatically until the key reaches the end of the travel. You only have to press the key down till the spring buckles (which triggers a hammer to press down on the membrane switch) for the keyboard to register the keypress. This means there's precise feedback given to your fingers (and ears) on when the keystroke is registered instead of having to "guess" on the minimum amount of force needed to activate a key.

If you are a "heavy-handed" typer and just mash your keys until they reach the end of their travel a buckling spring keyboard isn't going to do anything for you. If you like to type with a "light touch" for optimum speed, however, there is no better feedback mechanism than the buckling spring. For me there was a significant speed difference between typing on my original IBM PC keyboard and my Apple ][ keyboard (the start of a long line of medicore Apple keyboards) but these days I like quiet keyboards and haven't used buckling spring keyboards since the PS/2 (the computer not peripheral interface) days.

That made amazing sense, I'm more the heavy handed type and liked the Dell keyboard partially because the harder i smacked it the louder it got (as opposed to membrane based keyboards that have an almost pneumatic softening of the blow that dampens every keypress to roughly the same amount of noise).
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 29, 2008, 03:51:16 PM

At first I thought this article would be timely. Unfortunately, all ExtremeTech does is categorize every single freakin' keyboard out there. Eh, thanks.

They missed schild's beloved Model M though.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 05:40:19 AM

Just to save schild the hassle of telling me to get a Model-M, I'm using this old thread.   It looks like my keyboard is beginning to die. 

FUCK LOGITECH for not making the v1 G15's anymore.  The v2 is garbage, and I'm not dropping 200 bucks on the G19 (for a color LCD and six fewer macro keys).    Seriously.  18 macro keys and a simple LCD is apparently too god damn much to ask for now.

Ignoring macro keys and fancy LCD's, a former roommate of mine is trying to sell me on a Deck keyboard (http://www.deckkeyboards.com/).   Anyone else have experience with these?
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 12, 2009, 05:52:53 AM

If you care about the macro keys more than the LCD, you could just pick up a G11 off of eBay.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: November 12, 2009, 06:19:59 AM

If you care about the macro keys more than the LCD, you could just pick up a G11 off of eBay.

G11 is a back-up but arggh, I liked both.   
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: November 12, 2009, 06:49:09 PM

I don't think you can get a model m at Best Buy.
schild
Administrator

Reply #55 on: November 12, 2009, 06:50:13 PM

I just posted from my phone thinking this was a new thread. Pay no attention to my tomfoolery.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 07:49:00 PM

and the no-skid rubberized keys are fantastic. That'll probably rub off in time but eh, I'll love it until then.

I picked up the lycosa, I think maybe about a year and a half ago, approx. Not one key has the coating worn off yet, and I live on my computer practically.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: November 12, 2009, 07:49:47 PM

I just posted from my phone thinking this was a new thread. Pay no attention to my tomfoolery.

It's all good.  I have spent the entire god damn day reading about cherry switches and have moved on my love of LCD/macro keys into a minor obsession with mechanical switch keyboards with proper key action.

Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 12, 2009, 08:02:01 PM

It's all good.  I have spent the entire god damn day reading about cherry switches and have moved on my love of LCD/macro keys into a minor obsession with mechanical switch keyboards with proper key action.

Then you have probably already come across Das Keyboard Pro.
schild
Administrator

Reply #59 on: November 12, 2009, 09:26:57 PM

Cherry / Mechanical isn't even an option. Those Micron server keyboards from back in the day run a distant (FAR DISTANT) second to real buckling spring action. (Yea, I have some of those too, and will never use them again).
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 13, 2009, 02:51:32 PM

After a lot of reading and looking over various sites, I was still really torn over which type of keyboard I wanted.  Until I really can get my hands on the various cherry switches (blue/brown/black), it's damn near impossible to tell which type I'd like - and I really don't have the inclination to order a variety of types at $150+ a piece. 

So instead, I went ahead and just dropped $70 (which is far cheaper than any of the decent cherry switch keyboards) on a Customizer 104/105 (aka, the Unicomp Model-M).   I have to say, I'm impressed so far by their speed as they turned the order around in the same day and it should be here early next week using el-cheapo UPS shipping.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: November 13, 2009, 03:12:56 PM

After a lot of reading and looking over various sites, I was still really torn over which type of keyboard I wanted.  Until I really can get my hands on the various cherry switches (blue/brown/black), it's damn near impossible to tell which type I'd like - and I really don't have the inclination to order a variety of types at $150+ a piece. 

So instead, I went ahead and just dropped $70 (which is far cheaper than any of the decent cherry switch keyboards) on a Customizer 104/105 (aka, the Unicomp Model-M).   I have to say, I'm impressed so far by their speed as they turned the order around in the same day and it should be here early next week using el-cheapo UPS shipping.

Man if it wasn't for the wife i'd trade in my g15 for one of these, unfortunately the desktop is within hearing distance of the living room and she can't handle the crack of the keys.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #62 on: November 13, 2009, 03:34:31 PM

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: November 13, 2009, 04:04:02 PM

and the no-skid rubberized keys are fantastic. That'll probably rub off in time but eh, I'll love it until then.

I picked up the lycosa, I think maybe about a year and a half ago, approx. Not one key has the coating worn off yet, and I live on my computer practically.

The only wear on my keyboard almost a year later is the center of the A key art has gone missing. Otherwise, it's held up pretty well. Especially the W, which I probably use the most (for moving forward). E of course comes in second for typing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #64 on: November 14, 2009, 12:02:32 AM

Welcome to heaven. You could've paid $10 more and asked them to make it black with blank black keys - which makes it only about 9,000 times better than a Das Keyboard.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 14, 2009, 04:26:28 AM

Welcome to heaven. You could've paid $10 more and asked them to make it black with blank black keys - which makes it only about 9,000 times better than a Das Keyboard.

Blank keys scare me.   Eek!   
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #66 on: November 16, 2009, 08:50:27 AM

I was using the new apple keyboard on the test bench and ended up loving it and taking it for my desk. Been using it for a while now and love it, hate that they are shipping the mini version without the numpad with new imacs now so I don't have a stockpile of them :(
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: November 17, 2009, 04:10:44 PM

New board arrived today.  It definitely is weird typing on something with proper key action/responsiveness as opposed to mush and it's going to take some adjustment on my side.  That said, the increase in my typing speed is fairly dramatic.    The only downside is that my wife my kill me as it definitely is clicky. 
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #68 on: November 19, 2009, 06:56:00 AM

I was using the new apple keyboard on the test bench and ended up loving it and taking it for my desk. Been using it for a while now and love it, hate that they are shipping the mini version without the numpad with new imacs now so I don't have a stockpile of them :(

I can't for the life of me think why Apple hasn't released a $200 wireless keyboard w/ the macbook track pad integrated.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #69 on: November 19, 2009, 07:03:19 AM

If you want a backlit keyboard with volume control just go for the Saitek standard Eclipse.  It looks cool with blue lights, is small because it doesn't have extraneous shit, and is half the price of the Cyborg. I've been using it for years with zero complaints.  Good day to you sir.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: $150 Best Buy Gift Card, and wanting a new keyboard  
Jump to: