Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:23:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: If you left WAR... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you left WAR...  (Read 32898 times)
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 02:45:26 PM

Other than that I tried the Real Life MMO. Graphics need a bit of an update though and the grind is a bit of a shocker.

I hear the Cybor is pretty damn realistic though. Rimshot

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 02:57:39 PM

AC2 made me feel incredibly cheated.
When I went to buy LotRO during their anniversary sell, the fucking site didn't work.

I had more fun in AC2 than in WAR.  Sad, but as I look back, true. 

-Rasix
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #37 on: December 12, 2008, 03:15:16 PM

When I went to buy LotRO during their anniversary sell, the fucking site didn't work.

Oh. I can send you a buddy key? lol. I can't for the life of me think of any of my dealings with turbine as leading to hate. I was expecting to hear a story form ya.

I would like to try a LOTRO just to see where it's at if you've got a plethora of buddy keys.  If they're in short supply, don't bother. I won't really be able to devote a lot of time to it.

-Rasix
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #38 on: December 12, 2008, 03:24:44 PM

I have tried to play LotRO several times. Each time, I managed to get to level 5-7ish and just cant stand the combat. Its so slow and dull feeling.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #39 on: December 12, 2008, 04:23:38 PM

I have tried to play LotRO several times. Each time, I managed to get to level 5-7ish and just cant stand the combat. Its so slow and dull feeling.

I think that's very true, I don't know why but when I start killing Orcs at about level 18 the combat just clicks in for me, it never becomes fast though (Guardian).  I think the slower speed helps you think tactically, though it's probably just me getting old.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 12, 2008, 04:45:02 PM

Oh. I can send you a buddy key? lol. I can't for the life of me think of any of my dealings with turbine as leading to hate. I was expecting to hear a story form ya.

I would like to try a LOTRO just to see where it's at if you've got a plethora of buddy keys.  If they're in short supply, don't bother. I won't really be able to devote a lot of time to it.

Just hit up the thread he mentioned earlier.  Everyone who bought Moria has/had at least 3 keys each.

edit:  my bad, he didn't actually mention the thread:
http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=15568.0

I've got keys, among other people, if anyone needs them.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 12, 2008, 04:46:36 PM

I'm back to that Massive Overtime game. Other than that, LotRO, which I never really left.

I think that's very true, I don't know why but when I start killing Orcs at about level 18 the combat just clicks in for me, it never becomes fast though (Guardian).  I think the slower speed helps you think tactically, though it's probably just me getting old.
Also, I agree with this. The combat never gets as vivid as in WoW or CoX, but after a while you start thinking differently and more about how you "progress" in a combat than finding a perfect cycle of abilities. There's more of a priority flowchart, because you have often many options that haven't got obvious advantages to others. Entirely subjectively I've found LotRO's classes more fun and interesting to play than WoW's, because they are rather cross-bred and can pull off some pretty awesome stuff when played carefully. Many, many skills interact, by consuming eachothers' debuffs and chain in interesting manners that aren't always linear.

Sorry for derail.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #42 on: December 12, 2008, 06:35:17 PM

Quit WAR, went back to Counterstrike, DotA, L4D and Red Alert 3. Will probably be picking up Quake Wars:ET and Savage 2 at some point. Contemplating going back to LotrO, because i want to see how they did Moria, plus, i genuinely liked the game. It felt so nice. Furthermore, i hear my Captain gets an archer Herald now.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #43 on: December 12, 2008, 07:58:06 PM

Currently I'm waiting for the CoH/V Winter Event to start.

Also playing The Witcher and on my Xbox 360; betaing Champions Online (which is all I can say).

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #44 on: December 12, 2008, 09:53:52 PM

If i understand it right, they've tried to address that with one of the new introduced classes, the warden. It works different from other classes in the game, by stringing few basic moves into 'combos' that perform various effects other classes are given through regular, slower skills. Don't know if that idea succeeded as i didn't try the warden class, but if you can get a free trial maybe it's worth checking.
Sleep
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 13, 2008, 08:06:42 AM

After hitting the brickwall of suck that is T3, I went back to wow.
To be honest, I got little fuzzies of familiarity as the patcher started, I logged in feeling kind of excited with nostalgia thinking about the classes and trying to decide what I would re roll....

the second I logged in I was overcome with boredom and the sudden realization that to make it to 80 I would probably need to invest 3 months of grinding through azeroth again for like the 20th time. The nostalgia was replaced with the memory of why I quit in the first place and vowed to never give it any more of my time. Then came the nausea.

It was a good game for a really long time, but for me at least, its time has passed. I can never go back to that place.

The fact that WAR for me is the best thing out right now makes me cringe. It has a long way to go and mythic hasn't shown us enough yet to inspire confidence in the long term. I don't know when it became acceptable for companies to release products before they were finished, but this shit has to stop.
(edit: oh i remember now. When dumbasses like me allowed their subscription to renew instead of refusing to pay for a beta like I should have done, and hit the eject button.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:08:59 AM by Sleep »
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 13, 2008, 08:22:59 AM

I'm also a WoW returnee.  About the time I hit the tier 3 suck and quit I got a come back for 10 days thing from WoW so I gave it a shot.  Next thing I know I'm buying a 60 day game card at target.  I've logged in to WAR a couple times to patch (because I'm a doofus I reupped for 90 days just before I hit the tier 3 wall) but the contrast is too much.  WoW's environments are more attractive even their wastelands are easier on the eye than War's, the combat is smoother, the PVE is more interesting, and most importantly they have reduced the grind.  How long I will continue to play is hard to say since work travel always picks up in the first quarter but I'm far more likely to come back to WoW again than I ever will be for War which is kind of a shame cause the first 20 levels in War were the most fun I've had in an MMO since I quit playing UO.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 13, 2008, 02:11:36 PM

I decided to check out Age of Conan.  I figured if nothing else, all the bugs would be gone and despite all the bad press it received I was always quietly interested in the universe itself.  Judged on nothing other than "fun right now," AoC has been great and I'm willing to pay a monthly fee.  The open pvp has also been a great change from the bland rvr of WAR considering so many of the people I wanted to kill always seem to be on the same side as me.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #48 on: December 14, 2008, 10:10:43 AM

LoTRO.   Heart

We are on Brandywine and quiet a few f13'rs play casually.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 15, 2008, 06:02:20 AM

I went back to WOW after my first paid WAR month. My guild's playing super casual, our mains just hit 80 this week... we'll probably mess around with heroics and pvp (pvp is completely broken atm, but eh), but not going to raid. It remains to be seen how long WOW will retain us, but so far so good, the expansion content is really well done.

About other games... LOTRO was a decent game, shame that crossing a server line instantly dropped me from the game for 5 minutes. (note to Turbine: use TCP and stop clinging to the AC netcode, kthxbye) GW was mostly enjoyable (with some annoyances) and most of us are looking forward to GW2. CoH/CoV was blah due to the solo-unfriendliness and TEH GRIND, but it had its moments. None of us want to play Elite With Spreadsheets In Space, so EVE is out. I think that about covers it. :p

-- Z.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #50 on: December 15, 2008, 06:23:32 AM

(note to Turbine: use TCP and stop clinging to the AC netcode, kthxbye)

what
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 15, 2008, 06:39:24 AM

LOTRO uses UDP instead of TCP (many other games, ie WOW, use TCP). When crossing server lines, it transmits a ton of UDP packets in a very short amount of time which causes several routers (including mine) to crap out and/or blacklist the server for X amount of time.

The 'clinging to the AC netcode' bit was because I've read somewhere that LOTRO is built on the same netcode as AC was. /shrug

-- Z.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 15, 2008, 06:42:08 AM

LOTRO uses UDP instead of TCP (many other games, ie WOW, use TCP). When crossing server lines, it transmits a ton of UDP packets in a very short amount of time which causes several routers (including mine) to crap out and/or blacklist the server for X amount of time.

The 'clinging to the AC netcode' bit was because I've read somewhere that LOTRO is built on the same netcode as AC was. /shrug

-- Z.

Get a new router.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 15, 2008, 07:06:54 AM

(note to Turbine: use TCP and stop clinging to the AC netcode, kthxbye)
what
You know, that horrible netcode LotRO is using.

Right, sorry, fanboy.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #54 on: December 15, 2008, 07:08:07 AM

Get a new router.
Or update your current router, I can understand a lot of Turbine content hate (AC2) but the game engine itself is top class.  I play via a strange setup with a wireless router converted to a bridge connecting into my main wireless router and I don't have any issues like that.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:10:18 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #55 on: December 15, 2008, 07:24:53 AM

When zoning its completely seemless to me - thats pretty odd it would crash your router.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 15, 2008, 07:45:35 AM

Yes, I keep my router firmware updated; it's a Gigabyte GN-BR01G and works just fine. I've never had any other problems with it, with any other game or app (even those that use UDP), so I'm kinda unconvinced in needing to buy a new one just to play one game. See also here... this was rehashed a while ago in some WOW thread (of all places :P).

Tarami: I've never said that the netcode scales badly or whatever... I should've probably specified that my beef is with them using UDP instead of TCP. I assume others have this problem too. (several posted in that thread) Might be just me, but I wouldn't mind a bit more network overhead / possible extra latency as a tradeoff for more stable gameplay.

As for fanboism, I enjoyed LOTRO more than WOW in several aspects... it's just difficult when you have to play a "how do I minimize the number of zone line crossings" minigame while questing.

Ninja edit to fuser because I don't want to derail the thread even more: Yes, but that's what I implied, sorta. :p The only thing my router has problems with is LOTRO, which is not enough reason for me to buy a new router. It's like being told to buy a new TV because one of the many channels that you watch comes in grainy due to a weird non-standard transmission method they use... (which might come in fine for 99% of the populace)

-- Z.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:01:20 AM by Zetor »

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 15, 2008, 07:55:49 AM

Yes, I keep my router firmware updated; it's a Gigabyte GN-BR01G and works just fine. I've never had any other problems with it, with any other game or app (even those that use UDP), so I'm kinda unconvinced in needing to buy a new one just to play one game. See also here... this was rehashed a while ago in some WOW thread (of all places :P).

From your own troubleshooting
Quote from: Zetor
Indeed -- I was saving the 'bypass the router' option for last... but I just tried connecting the cable straight to the DSL modem and it worked! I went through plenty of zone-lines without getting frozen/DC'd once.

Your router is broken in handling the packets, its a firmware or hardware issue. I really doubt you want to buy a new one for it but hey don't blame the netcode :P
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:57:28 AM by fuser »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 15, 2008, 07:56:58 AM

I'm going to join the "it's your router" club. Sorry. My router is a POS and I've never had more problems than severe lag in Bree. (I'm on Landroval, the unofficial RP server, and people tend to gather in Bree to RP.)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 15, 2008, 07:58:50 AM

Since you guys appear to be router experts, tell me what type of wireless router to buy.  Newegg links appreciated.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 15, 2008, 08:01:50 AM

Since you guys appear to be router experts, tell me what type of wireless router to buy.  Newegg links appreciated.

WRT54GL (Linux based + big flash)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

Then grab DD-WRT and reflash it.

Side note: Have been playing with a WRT54G2. It's not a bad router but the flash is so small only micro will work and the connection limits is 512 (unable to boost it atm), its a newer processor with a 40mhz bump so dd-wrt screams and the casing looks nice  why so serious?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:05:23 AM by fuser »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #61 on: December 15, 2008, 08:07:31 AM

Guy who I think is in Norway with your current router who also gets the same problem.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1073627#post1073627
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=40959&page=11
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-218500.html

That may be. Still though. When checking my connection I have a latency of 72 msec, a packet loss of 0.0% and the problem arise everytime my char switch zones on the server. It applys to every server and every char. It is strange that the router (Gigabyte GN-BR01G) can't play this game. It isn't the split into 5, as the same problem persist with only me connected to the router.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 15, 2008, 08:09:36 AM

I was just being snarky. The fanboy comment was referring to myself. :-]

To be honest though, I actually had that problem a while back. It was resolved but I can't recall how right now. It wasn't my router in that case, however, as I don't use one.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 15, 2008, 08:10:28 AM

I had a similar problem years ago with my old Linksys router and EQ. EQ would flood the router with data and it would kill the connection. I had to downgrade the firmware in order to solve the problem. Would it solve the problem to put your comp into the DMZ and run a software firewall?

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 15, 2008, 09:06:15 AM

Side note: Have been playing with a WRT54G2. It's not a bad router but the flash is so small only micro will work and the connection limits is 512 (unable to boost it atm), its a newer processor with a 40mhz bump so dd-wrt screams and the casing looks nice  why so serious?

I have that same router (WRT54GL) and have no problems with it at all. I purchased it from newegg this summer and use the Firmware 4.30.11 version that came on it. I see no reason to upgrade firmware unless you need/want a new feature it might add (in this case, the new version really does nothing) or it fixes a security issue.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #65 on: December 15, 2008, 10:14:01 AM

I have that same router (WRT54GL) and have no problems with it at all. I purchased it from newegg this summer and use the Firmware 4.30.11 version that came on it. I see no reason to upgrade firmware unless you need/want a new feature it might add (in this case, the new version really does nothing) or it fixes a security issue.

I am throwing my support behind this one as well!  Not using it right now, but have had a lot of experience with it in the past.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 15, 2008, 11:13:05 AM

I think im using this, and i don't have issues at all, even with 5 people all zoning  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 15, 2008, 06:27:04 PM

LOTRO is pretty cool. I mean, I started playing it expecting nothing but a solid PvE game with some player vs monster thing I can mess with when I'm bored. So far, its been pretty fun. If I want to fight other players I have tons of other games to do that in, because looking for that kind of action in a MMO these days is frustrating beyond words.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #68 on: December 15, 2008, 07:01:50 PM

LOTRO is pretty cool. I mean, I started playing it expecting nothing but a solid PvE game with some player vs monster thing I can mess with when I'm bored. So far, its been pretty fun. If I want to fight other players I have tons of other games to do that in, because looking for that kind of action in a MMO these days is frustrating beyond words.

LOTRO is very well done.  It may not be for everyone, but it doesn't try to be.  The graphics are very nice and who doesn't like Lord of the Rings that would play an MMO?
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 16, 2008, 04:24:15 AM

[snip] who doesn't like Lord of the Rings that would play an MMO?

I have to say this IP made it so that I would never play it.  I like the books, but I find that world an unsuitable setting in which to have an MMO game.  an RTS game in which you play one of the factions seems interesting, but an MMO game makes little sense to me as the IP is not open-ended.  All the characters/places you come to know in the books come to an end.  It's a fantasy world, where at the end of the story fantasy dies, and (eventually) humans are all that remain.  Pretty depressing stuff, if you're looking to play a fantasy-themed game.

Yes, I'm one of those people that don't see the point in watching Titanic because, well, the boat sinks in the end.  (oddly, WWII History channel doesn't follow this same logic, as I'll watch that at the drop of a hat)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: If you left WAR...  
Jump to: