Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: This game is not WoW and people still seem to rather like it. Am I wrong? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This game is not WoW and people still seem to rather like it. Am I wrong?  (Read 42637 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

on: December 11, 2008, 10:03:33 PM

I need SOMETHING that is actually good fantasy, but not WoW.  Is the game dead?  Are there still active servers?  What is the most active server?  It seems like ever server in any MMO I'm ever on ends up a ghost town. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
acerogue26
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 10:46:05 PM

I am the lone player haunting Arkenstone. Go play Brandywine with the rest of the cool kids.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:51:29 PM

I am the lone player haunting Arkenstone. Go play Brandywine with the rest of the cool kids.

Thanks!  It must be fun to just scream profanity in random zones with no consequences.  I am surprised they keep that server up just for you though. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 12:51:15 AM

I'd say it's pretty bustling with activity, atleast EU-side, expansion and all. It has a high "altage value" so I doubt you'd be alone even today if starting from scratch.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 04:30:02 AM

I'm enjoying it, it's got a bit of a chilled out vibe going.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 05:10:18 AM

Brandywine is bumping most times, and i think over all, interest, and subscribers are on the rise. They really dod do alot with this expansion and i would recommend anyone who tried it before, give it another shot.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 05:49:37 AM

I still don't see any free trial on the LotRO webpage.  Heartbreak  I was hoping to give it a try over the holiday break.

Over and out.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 06:18:18 AM

I have two 14 day buddy keys for a Europe trial of LOTRO if anyone wants one.  Any US players with some free for other people?

Edit, there's a link for the EU here.  Seems to let you generate your own key.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 06:22:29 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 06:22:45 AM

I have two 14 day buddy keys for a Europe trial of LOTRO if anyone wants one.  Any US players with some free for other people?

I do, if anyone is interested just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it your way.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 06:32:16 AM

It seems you can download the US version of the game from this link.

For the EU, use this link to get a key and (I guess) download the EU version of the game.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 06:46:51 AM

Edit, there's a link for the EU here.  Seems to let you generate your own key.

I think i have 2 left. I also know where a download is for the full client, fast and free.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 09:23:49 AM

Brandywine seems the biggest server (had the longest queues at MoM launch), followed by either Landroval  (RP) or Elendilmir (my server).

I  think there are a couple of serious non-WoW AAA alternatives out there:  EQ2, Eve, CoX and LotRO.  Without going over the edge,  my spouse and I  have been genuinely surprised at the community, depth and play (e.g. leveling curve, challenge, design) of LotRO.   Nothing wrong with WoW, we just find LotRO a much better home.  Depend on what you want.  If PvP I would take Eve hands down.  For PvE I think LotRO wins.

Edit: even FoH have been kicking the tires over LotRO recently and mulling a move (http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorpg-general-discussion/33576-lotro-expansion-mines-moria.html).  So the pop maybe going up.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:26:26 AM by Soln »
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 10:33:56 AM

I've got a handful of US buddy keys as well if anyone else ends up needing one.

I'm out of keys now.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:31:31 PM by Ard »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 02:29:52 PM

When I get bored with WoW, I usually go back to LotRO first.  I think the next time I go back it will be for a much longer time, as there's no new games coming out in the next few years that I'm interested in. 
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 07:29:26 PM

Downloading now, figured I'd give it a shot. Anyone have an extra buddy key?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 09:21:04 PM

Downloading now, figured I'd give it a shot. Anyone have an extra buddy key?

PM'd you one, let me know if you use it or if I entered it wrong.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 12:45:06 AM

To me, LotRO and DAoC have a strange disconnected feel when controlling a character. There's something not-EQ and not-WoW in the interface that makes me feel more distant from the fantasy world, whether in first-person or third-person view. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I lasted a day in DAoC and then less every time I tried to give it another go. Same thing with LotRO, it feels like a plastic imitation MMO compared with the feel of the games I've been able to get into. Does anyone know what I mean?
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 12:33:59 PM

Any US keys still available, and (assuming so) is the fuzeqna link still the best download source?  Post WAR-failure it looks like LOTRO is my best shot to enjoy an MMO until TOR crushes my spirits permanently.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 01:54:11 PM

Fuzeqna link downloads a small 800k downloader.

Running that downloader capped me out at 1.8 down. Its pretty good.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 07:24:58 AM

Honestly the game doesnt pick up until around 20 - there are some great group quests before then, and lots and lots of solo content, but your character doesnt flesh out skill wise until around then.

I rolled a minstrel and was underwhelmed - then I hit 20ish, and its been a blast since.  Especially in groups!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 04:35:06 PM

I'm also gonna ask for a US key.

I played for about 6 months in beta, and nothing since then, so I figured I'd check it out.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 02:38:49 AM

Anyone have a trial key left?  I've decided to give this a shot.  Its been a couple months since hanging it up in warhammer and I have the itch.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 03:13:24 AM

I'm definately going back to LOTRO in a couple of weeks.  I have a 50 Minstrel on Arkenstone.  I got my Mage to 80 in WoW and I'm trying to do all Northrend instances, just need Oculus, CoT: Strat and HoS now.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 04:42:58 AM

Any US trial keys kicking around?
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 04:59:58 AM

I believe I can do buddy invites - pm me your email addresses and I will put it in.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 05:50:52 AM

I believe I can do buddy invites - pm me your email addresses and I will put it in.

PM sent.  Many many thanks.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 06:03:15 AM

I have a limited number of buddy passes i can pass out as well still, PM me with your real e-mail addy and i will send it, first come first serve.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 08:25:27 AM

Cheddar,

I PMed you again not to send.  I downloaded the client but it won't even connect.  Turbine apparently doesn't want me to play on American servers from Japan.  My usual workaround that works on Hulu and for buying games on Steam (Anchorfree Hotspot Shield) doesn't help with this- connecting to their service must not be browser-based in the sense this is.  Well, fuck Turbine.  Even WAR, for all its failings, let me play on American servers from here.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 08:37:57 AM

Cheddar,

I PMed you again not to send.  I downloaded the client but it won't even connect.  Turbine apparently doesn't want me to play on American servers from Japan.  My usual workaround that works on Hulu and for buying games on Steam (Anchorfree Hotspot Shield) doesn't help with this- connecting to their service must not be browser-based in the sense this is.  Well, fuck Turbine.  Even WAR, for all its failings, let me play on American servers from here.
This sounds very strange. I can play on US realms from Sweden, so if anything, it's be a region specific block since I know people on US servers playing from other parts of Asia. Possibly it's blocked because Japan has its own release of LotRO. It might be worth asking Turbine themselves.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 08:51:37 AM

Cheddar,

This sounds very strange. I can play on US realms from Sweden, so if anything, it's be a region specific block since I know people on US servers playing from other parts of Asia. Possibly it's blocked because Japan has its own release of LotRO. It might be worth asking Turbine themselves.

You were right.  I was just stupid and didn't realize I was trying to login during the servers being down for a patch.  But in my defense, usually when servers are down in other games you can still make it to the login screen before you are cut off- not being able to connect right away threw me off.  Its allowing me to patch now.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 09:35:29 AM

Cheddar,

You were right.  I was just stupid and didn't realize I was trying to login during the servers being down for a patch.  But in my defense, usually when servers are down in other games you can still make it to the login screen before you are cut off- not being able to connect right away threw me off.  Its allowing me to patch now.
AFAIK, you normally do, but I'm guessing also the web fronts (lotro.com) were down for maintenance (likely due to the my.lotro.com beta.) Here in Europe we usually got a "Maintenance day - servers are currently offline" in the newsfeed.

Excuses, excuses. Ohhhhh, I see.

Edit: I can't spell maintenance.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:37:46 AM by Tarami »

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 09:39:08 AM

Cheddar-

Was just talking to an irl friend who I didn't know played LOTRO, he sent me a buddy key.  So thanks anyway and give it to a more desrving soul...

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 09:46:36 AM

soooo, you do or do not want it?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

FYI - as far as I know the client itself is region based; if you are in Europe downloading the American client will get you American servers.  

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 09:56:31 AM

Brandywine sever for the new people.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 10:48:27 AM

FYI - as far as I know the client itself is region based; if you are in Europe downloading the American client will get you American servers. 
Correct.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: This game is not WoW and people still seem to rather like it. Am I wrong?  
Jump to: