Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:45:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: This game is not WoW and people still seem to rather like it. Am I wrong? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This game is not WoW and people still seem to rather like it. Am I wrong?  (Read 42644 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 12:11:24 PM

FYI, via the official boards it seems all the hosts are in Boston MA area.  So there are no West/East US servers. 
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 04:20:09 PM

Thanks Cheddar!

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 04:25:14 PM

soooo, you do or do not want it?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

FYI - as far as I know the client itself is region based; if you are in Europe downloading the American client will get you American servers.  

Sorry for my unclarity.  I now have a key, thanks again for the offer anyway.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 05:18:26 PM

Bleh, the DL link in the email sent to me doesn't work.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 07:35:24 PM

I was looking through the classes- straight tanks never appeal to me, and I don't like straight healers either.  Are Loremasters welcome in groups?  Good at solo?  I normally hate pet classes, but this one appeals to me for some reason.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 07:45:13 PM

I was looking through the classes- straight tanks never appeal to me, and I don't like straight healers either.  Are Loremasters welcome in groups?  Good at solo?  I normally hate pet classes, but this one appeals to me for some reason.

Every class can find a group; LoTRO is extremely group friendly and flexible.  Classes are not SUPER WTF RIGID and everyone can provide multiple roles within the group.  Also every class can solo; albeit to varying degrees, and depending on your skill.  Here is my personal breakdown (opinion based, but pretty accurate) broken down as to Solo (Easy, Medium, Hard) and wether its hard to find a group (completely discounting actual USEFULLNESS within a group):

Champion  Solo = Easy/  Group = Medium
Guardian  Solo = Hard/ Group = Medium
Burglar  Solo = Easy/  Group = Medium
Minstrel  Solo = Extremely Hard/ Group = Extremely Easy
Lore Master  Solo = Medium/  Group = Medium
Captain  Solo = Medium/   Group = Medium
Hunter  Solo = Extremely Easy/  Group = Hard

Ignored the 2 new classes as very few people have 40+ on them yet.  I have never had a problem getting into a group as a Champion - arguably the most popular class along with Hunter. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 16, 2008, 06:22:29 AM

Bleh, the DL link in the email sent to me doesn't work.

This would be correct, there is a link in the threads here, the one in the buddykey e-mail would lead to the removed trial.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 16, 2008, 10:49:01 AM

What Cheddar said. 

The only time I have ever seen PUG spam looking for a specific role (burg, tank, healer) was for 50+ instances.  And even then, it's rare to see it. 

The key in LotRO is a full group at the quest level cap because you can steamroll a lot of things, even if it's a group of minstrels.  BECAUSE even minstrels get a "going solo" ability they can toggle to go into melee kicking mode (heals get nerfed, defense goes up).  There's a lot of agility it seems for classes in groups.  And there are "conjunctions" which some classes can trigger (these are like EQ2 "heroic opportunities").
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 16, 2008, 10:52:31 AM

Guardian is hard to solo? Damn, I should try one of the other classes one of these days. I can't even begin to imagine what they would be capable of when I solo orange mobs in my 40s.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #44 on: December 16, 2008, 12:22:37 PM

I don't think soloing with a Guard is hard, more like tedious if you are used to a Hunter. Ohhhhh, I see.  My baby guardian is tough to kill and persistence wins plenty of fights, or allows me to run run run.  Then again I haven't tried it post-20.

The LFF I see will often just say if they already have a minstrel or not, but that's about it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 16, 2008, 12:23:46 PM

The utility of the classes in this game is spectacular.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #46 on: December 16, 2008, 12:25:31 PM

Guardian is hard to solo? Damn, I should try one of the other classes one of these days. I can't even begin to imagine what they would be capable of when I solo orange mobs in my 40s.

I solo reds on my 26 minstrel - my Champion was soloing orange signatures by 20.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

edit.  A quick addendum.  I can solo reds with my min, but cannot take on 2 whites without my ass clenching. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:31:46 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #47 on: December 16, 2008, 12:26:15 PM

I solo reds on my 26 minstrel - my Champion was soloing orange signatures by 20.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Well damn.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 16, 2008, 12:26:44 PM

The utility of the classes in this game is spectacular.
I think the classes are spectacular period. There's so much more to them than meets the eye. I'm still learning the quirks of my LM, a year and a half after rolling it. Although, that class on the other hand is absolutely bloated with stuff.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #49 on: December 16, 2008, 01:07:22 PM

Yep.  The captain is spectacular.  Very cool class and not like anything I've ever played.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 16, 2008, 01:17:03 PM

what's that Friar Tuck looking pet they get?  Is that a healer of some kind?  or just a Dom DeLuise look-a-like for laughs?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #51 on: December 18, 2008, 09:30:04 AM

what's that Friar Tuck looking pet they get?  Is that a healer of some kind?  or just a Dom DeLuise look-a-like for laughs?

It's basically a normal pet.  Goes and does damage for you.  Your typically still main damage and focus of mob though.  What rocks in groups is the group buffs you get. 
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 18, 2008, 12:41:22 PM

I think I'm going to be picking this game up for christmas.  I'm thinking Burglar vs. Captain.  I like 'hard' classes to play, with plenty of options and versatility.  I also like underplayed classes with grouping potential.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #53 on: December 18, 2008, 01:12:20 PM

I think I'm going to be picking this game up for christmas.  I'm thinking Burglar vs. Captain.  I like 'hard' classes to play, with plenty of options and versatility.  I also like underplayed classes with grouping potential.

Both are wonderful (my 2 favorite classes).  Captain is MUCH more group oriented.  Both can solo, both provide a very useful role in a group, both have a TON of abilities to choose from.  Especially burglar, who is very very tactical.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 18, 2008, 01:27:23 PM

Just be aware that the burglar isn't really a wow-rogue clone, so much as a group enabler and debuffer.  They're the primary class that can start fellowship conjunctions on demand.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 18, 2008, 07:04:13 PM

This url seems to work for trial keys in the US, but I can't tell for sure:

http://www.codemasters.com/trylotro/trialkey.php

- Viin
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 19, 2008, 12:58:05 AM

This url seems to work for trial keys in the US, but I can't tell for sure:

http://www.codemasters.com/trylotro/trialkey.php

Doesn't seem to work. I copied the key and went and tried to enter it into the US account product key field and it says invalid. I guess you have to use it with the European version.

If anyone still has a buddy key left, I'd like to give it a whirl again. I played in beta and liked it, but never bothered to buy it. Might be something to get for Christmas.  awesome, for real
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #57 on: December 19, 2008, 03:49:46 AM

I believe I have 1 key left - pm me your email addy.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 19, 2008, 06:57:02 AM

I have keys left too.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #59 on: December 19, 2008, 07:29:03 AM

Actually I have 3 left, now.   awesome, for real

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 19, 2008, 07:38:17 AM

Question #2:  Is there any reason for me to get Mines of Moria as a noob that will likely never get past level 20?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 19, 2008, 08:36:15 AM

Question #2:  Is there any reason for me to get Mines of Moria as a noob that will likely never get past level 20?

2 new classes, crafting guilds...ETC. That, and while you can get the original for like 15-20$, MoM is only 39 and includes the original too.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 19, 2008, 09:45:10 AM

2 new classes, crafting guilds...ETC. That, and while you can get the original for like 15-20$, MoM is only 39 and includes the original too.

Not that I entirely encourage this, and I more or less agree with Bloodworth on just buying MoM, but you can get the original game for $12, or $13 for the collector's edition from Amazon, both cheaper than the price of a month to play.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 19, 2008, 10:20:55 AM

Not that I entirely encourage this, and I more or less agree with Bloodworth on just buying MoM, but you can get the original game for $12, or $13 for the collector's edition from Amazon, both cheaper than the price of a month to play.

The issue with that is, Patching. You will have to download every patch up to Moria, and then Moria.  swamp poop

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 19, 2008, 10:41:23 AM

I tossed my DVD in the bin a month ago figuring I'd never play. Should have known. But anyway, you can download the entire high definition MOM client and there's almost no patching and it will work with an unupgraded account.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 19, 2008, 11:06:33 AM

The issue with that is, Patching. You will have to download every patch up to Moria, and then Moria.  swamp poop

I did say I didn't encourage it.  There's also the fact that you're inevitably going to be picking up Moria if you like the game in the long run anyhow, unless you hold out for their next expansion and get it rolled up there, but who knows when that'll happen.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #66 on: December 19, 2008, 11:22:45 AM

I tossed my DVD in the bin a month ago figuring I'd never play. Should have known. But anyway, you can download the entire high definition MOM client and there's almost no patching and it will work with an unupgraded account.

I am such a tard - I never realized there was a HIGH DEFINITION version of the client!

Is anyone using this?  How does it look?  Will it make my system go up in smoke if I load?

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 19, 2008, 11:28:10 AM

I am such a tard - I never realized there was a HIGH DEFINITION version of the client!

Is anyone using this?  How does it look?  Will it make my system go up in smoke if I load?

Unless they changed something from when they launched, it just lets you use the higher quality textures (I believe it's Very High in the settings), but it's possible and likely they've changed something more significant while I wasn't paying attention.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 19, 2008, 11:33:24 AM

I use it, i run on ultra. As for smoking, whats your system specs? Its just higher top end resolution images (textures). Manly video ram will be your limiter i guess. (if you installed from disk, you have this already)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 01:13:36 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 19, 2008, 02:16:42 PM

It's very high textures, in the beta and the first year of release, you had to have the DVDs.

The performance seems to be almost infinitely better than the last time I played, I have the DX10 shadows running and still no problems. Before I had to turn them off and downgrade so much. And I haven't even monkeyed with the flashdrive thing yet. (I need to snag an 8gb flash from work and see if its worth buying for myself.)

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: This game is not WoW and people still seem to rather like it. Am I wrong?  
Jump to: