Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:55:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The X-Files: I Want to Believe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The X-Files: I Want to Believe  (Read 14263 times)
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

on: December 08, 2008, 02:33:45 PM

I was expecting a very mediocre and stupid movie out of this, which explains why I, as an X-Files nerd, hadn't watched it until now.  I'm glad I watched it with those expectations, because I ended up really enjoying it all the way to the end.  It's a shame they took so long to bring it out, and definitely a shame that they probably won't make another due to it tanking in theatres, but at least this movie ended on a better note than the abysmal last season.

The biggest thing I want to note: the movie looks amazing.  Whatever Carter and team did during filming and editing needs to be done for whatever project they work on next.

The other thing I'm still thinking about: Mulder and Scully still have the weirdest fucking relationship.  You'd think after all this time and intimacy they'd be relaxed enough to call each other by their first names more often.

So.  Was I the only person who actually liked it?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 03:01:52 PM

I just added it to the top of my Netflix. I had forgotten this movie ever came out.

I have never played WoW.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 01:58:29 AM

I haven't seen it yet either (and I'm a big X-Files nerd like yourself). I didn't expect it to look amazing.. Maybe I'll try to rent a Blu-Ray version instead.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 03:24:40 PM

I saw it expecting more of a UFO conspiricy or even alien mysteries that the TV show was based on.  Sadly it was just a Mindhunter scenario with some "Mulder, grow up" thrown in for good measure. 

So if you like serial killer mysteries it's worth a watch.  If you like old-skool X-Files mysteries, avoid.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 03:40:54 PM

Yeah, it was very different from the TV show.  Felt more like an X-Files cast reunion than anything else.  But I liked it well enough; was just hoping for a bit more UFO stuff and a bit less drama.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 06:18:50 PM

According to wikipedia, Carter said a third movie would follow up on the end of the series and the conspiracies surrounding the 2012 takeover/invasion, and the FOX chairman said it was up to Carter, Duchovny, and Andersen on whether or not a third movie would be made.

I actually liked how the paranormal stuff was much more subdued than usual.  It wasn't what I wanted out of another movie, though.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:23:54 PM by ahoythematey »
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 11:11:21 AM

I actually disliked this a great deal. I won't get into details since they're largely unimportant, but it just didn't click with me.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 11:26:22 AM

I felt pretty meh about it too. It seemed more like an overproduced tv episode than a movie. I also thought the chemistry between Duchovney and Andersen was off. Some shots it felt like they were not even acting in the same room. As if they'd shot one actor's face in the scene, cut, then shot the other actor's response. This may even be a normal practice, but it just seemed very palpable.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 11:27:15 AM

Not only an overproduced episode, but a boring one :(
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 09:10:21 PM

It was pretty goddamn horrible, actually. Why? Why the fuck spend millions to film a story that really does nothing for the entire X-Files arc? No aliens, barely any paranormal shit and really... 2-headed dogs? REALLY? That's all you got after a decade? Not only did this movie not need to be made, it was excruciating to watch. It did nothing to move the Mulder/Scully relationship further, it did nothing to explain the gaping hole of questions the series left, and was pretty silly to boot. Absolute shit.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 01:54:08 AM

A waste of four dollars and two hours of my time.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 02:08:09 AM

It was pretty goddamn horrible, actually. Why? Why the fuck spend millions to film a story that really does nothing for the entire X-Files arc? No aliens, barely any paranormal shit and really... 2-headed dogs? REALLY? That's all you got after a decade? Not only did this movie not need to be made, it was excruciating to watch. It did nothing to move the Mulder/Scully relationship further, it did nothing to explain the gaping hole of questions the series left, and was pretty silly to boot. Absolute shit.

Remember those episodes with Tooms? Yea, it was like that. But 2 hours long.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 02:25:53 AM

Possibly the only thing that came of this was that Duchovny met Callum Keith Rennie, and decided to get him on Californication too (he now plays Lew Ashby, the record producer). That guy rocks.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 08:49:36 AM

You shut your filthy mouth.  The Tooms episodes were awesome.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 05:03:45 PM

I query you this. Was "Darkness Falls" the best of the non-alien related episodes or the bestest?
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 07:52:16 PM

Wood mites, right?  If so, that one scared the fuck out of me.  I would have to say bestest.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 07:57:19 PM

Wood mites, right?  If so, that one scared the fuck out of me.  I would have to say bestest.

Correct, you even got the right answer!
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 11:48:12 PM

I saw that episode for the first time only recently, it scared the livin beejaysus out of me. Reminded me of a Stephen King film that had a similar theme but it was way better (Dreamcatcher I think it was called).

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 02:41:03 AM

That one is in my top 3.  For some reason, I've always been partial to the Intestinal Parasite Man ep just a bit more.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 04:58:17 PM

I query you this. Was "Darkness Falls" the best of the non-alien related episodes or the bestest?

The best X-Files episodes were the comedy ones.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 04:59:22 PM

The best X-Files episodes were the comedy ones.
Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 05:00:13 PM

"Jose Chung's From Outer Space" is my all-time favorite.  "Darkness Falls" and "Tooms" are also up there.

The episodes that centered around UFOs were sort of unsatisfying because they always teased that overarching plotline along without resolving it.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 05:04:11 PM

Jose Chung, the one that was a send up of the whole X-Files series... I'm drawing a blank but I'm sure there was a good third comedy episode (and, as you may guess, I dropped out watching before things got really dire, though I kinda mean to pick up and watch through the show again... except I caught some of the early episodes on TV recently and thought they'd aged horribly).

I'm rambling. I'm off to make a "Millennium" thread.

schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 05:12:25 PM

David Duchovny's "The Unnatural" was my favorite episode behind Darkness Falls.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 11:57:40 PM

For me it is, starting with the best:

-Darkness Falls
-Jose Chung's From Outer Space
-Bad Blood
-The Unnatural
-Humbug

Dod Kalm as an honorable mention, perhaps, and that two-parter with Michael McKean as the Area 51 spook.  Those are the ones that stick out the most in my mind at this moment.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:59:32 PM by ahoythematey »
Geki
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 08:11:02 AM

-Home
Drai
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 09:10:32 AM

... except I caught some of the early episodes on TV recently and thought they'd aged horribly).

They have - it seemed so amazing at the time to have a "somewhat plausible" ongoing drama that revolved around these topics, but man, the early episodes (mythogy ones) are tough to watch now.  It's not fair to compare the shows from 1993 to today's very slickly produced dramas, but it was a jarring experience when I pulled out the early season DVDs.  The shoestring budget the show had the few first years until it really took off certainly didn't help it age well.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 10:03:52 AM

I got disillusioned with the x-files after I saw Chris Carter being interviewed and basically saying that aliens don't exist, talk about milking it.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 07:32:24 PM

This movie was complete and total shit.

I want my time back.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 07:36:13 PM

I want my time back.

Like, you played the video/dvd/whatever, and looked at the clock a moment later and you'd lost 2 hours?

Yea. That's fairly accurate also.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 10:03:39 PM

Sooo...I'm the only person who liked this, I guess.  I'm okay with that.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 02:36:37 PM

I want my time back.

If it wasn't an X-Files movie, it would have been better.

I have never played WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 02:38:42 PM

Watching X-Files again from season 1-7 (fuck the last 2). I just ahve to say, from Our Town until halfway through season 3 is just awesome.
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 03:28:21 PM

Oh man. Check out super young Giovanni Ribisi and ultra skinny (and super young) Jack Black in s03e03 of X-Files.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 03:30:37 PM

Watching X-Files again from season 1-7 (fuck the last 2). I just ahve to say, from Our Town until halfway through season 3 is just awesome.

So how does Fringe compare to X-Files since both are fresh to you?

I can't really be bothered to watch XF anymore, though I love it.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The X-Files: I Want to Believe  
Jump to: