Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:12:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Shaving Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Shaving Thread  (Read 84460 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #245 on: October 16, 2012, 01:13:05 PM

MOMMY PARTS??  What is wrong with your mind?  I was talking about legs!!!

Wait.  Before I go and since YOU brought it up... do you shave your daddy parts with a straight razor?  Just wonderin'....

Of course.   awesome, for real
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #246 on: October 16, 2012, 01:26:58 PM

MOMMY PARTS??  What is wrong with your mind?  I was talking about legs!!
Numtini brought it up.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #247 on: October 16, 2012, 02:07:13 PM

I've always found this thread interesting, but...I don't think I could ever try this crazy straight razor business. I can hardly even shave my 1-day growth with a new disposable razor, and I've been known to somehow cut myself with electrics.

I'd probably somehow decapitate myself with a straight razor.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
DeathInABottle
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: October 16, 2012, 02:08:56 PM

Any of you straight razor shavers out there do your own sharpening?  I'd love some advice. 
I've been using a combination 4000/8000 stone, and having the 4000 speeds up the process considerably.  I've read that you shouldn't need to run the razor along the stone more than a dozen times, but that's not been my experience at all: the last time I sharpened my razor I had to get rid of a couple of nicks that were the result of smacking it against the sink, and it took a good 20 minutes of continuous honing.  Point being: don't worry too much about honing; it's more forgiving than people make it out to be.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: October 16, 2012, 02:42:24 PM

I wouldn't mind fooling around with a straight edge, but I've continued to be happy with a double edged safety razor.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #250 on: October 16, 2012, 03:11:12 PM

I've been using a combination 4000/8000 stone, and having the 4000 speeds up the process considerably.  I've read that you shouldn't need to run the razor along the stone more than a dozen times, but that's not been my experience at all: the last time I sharpened my razor I had to get rid of a couple of nicks that were the result of smacking it against the sink, and it took a good 20 minutes of continuous honing.  Point being: don't worry too much about honing; it's more forgiving than people make it out to be.

Thanks man.  I'll get myself that 4000 stone then. 

I've always found this thread interesting, but...I don't think I could ever try this crazy straight razor business. I can hardly even shave my 1-day growth with a new disposable razor, and I've been known to somehow cut myself with electrics.

I'd probably somehow decapitate myself with a straight razor.  Ohhhhh, I see.

It's really not that dangerous unless you're trying to do it while driving. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #251 on: October 16, 2012, 04:40:05 PM

I have never tried to shave my legs in this way.  I wonder if I should.  Razor costs just don't get better, do they?  And it would be different!  I could start a fb page for women who shave their legs with old fashioned razors.  I've never started a real fb page except the little personal one.  And if someone tried to mug me in the bath, I'd have a weapon! 

I wouldn't suggest you use a straight razor (even if you wanted to the mechanics of shaving legs with a straight would be difficult), but if you use an older safety razor you can get blades on the order of 10-20 cents a piece that are every bit (if not more) as sharp and durable as the plastic monstrosities they current sell for 3 bucks a pop.  You can find a regular old Super-speed for 15-20 bucks online which is a nice little, light, and nimble razor or you can hunt down a Lady Gillette which has a longer handle for around 30 bucks.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #252 on: October 17, 2012, 01:40:00 AM

oooo.  I like the little stars on that.  If I were to hunt one down, it's destined to be hung on my sister's xmas tree, along with the other strange things I hang on it which she's constantly taking down.  It gives her something to do in the morning.  If I remember correctly, Abagadro, you collect razors, no?  That's different!  Both my grandfathers shaved with old fashioned razors and had those leather straps and everything.  My grandfather from Norway had a very heavy beard and said it was the only thing that cut through it.  I never remember him having cuts on his face, either.  Me?  I'm sure my legs would be hamburger by the time I finished. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: October 17, 2012, 03:57:43 PM

Yes I collect them but have slowed way down from my manic heyday of buying every one I could find.  I have two of those Lady Gillete's: a Baby Blue one and a "Champagne" one.  I've tried to talk my wife into using one but she won't do it because she is afraid of cutting herself, which is nuts as I cut myself way worse with those cartridges than I ever have with a DE safety razor.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #254 on: October 18, 2012, 10:38:40 PM

As I have gotten older, it seems my beard has gotten curlier (and I get a grey/white patch on it too), so shaving with a regular 2 blade would cause a break out.  My Pseudofolliculitis Barbae could be pretty bad sometimes, but then it would be just some areas that would pop up and be an irritation.  Now I've been using either clippers and/or Braun Series 3 electric razor.  I start off now by letting the beard grow at least a day or two (gonna suck if I ever need to shave every day), then washing beard with soap and water, drying it, then applying either electric shave or shaving powder.  Electric shave is way less messy and doesn't clog the clippers or razor as much, but the shaving powder feels nice.  Then use the clippers.  Then I can go over it with the razor if I need is smooth.  I don't think I could ever go back to regular shaving at this time.  Wish I could because the close feel of a razor blade shave is awesome.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: October 18, 2012, 11:28:22 PM

I've been cursed with a curly viking beard since I was 16.

Using the single DE blade has cut way down on my irritation/ingrown (not eliminated but reduced). I also use an alum block, Tend Skin and a killer Japanese aftershave that I can't even read the label of but is really nice (and no scent) that is half way between a splash and a soothing balm.

-H.L. Mencken
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: October 18, 2012, 11:37:58 PM

I use a one of those Merkur safety razors because I am not quite brave enough to use a straight razor yet.  Unfortunately I have one of those skin blemishes on my chin that I lop off occasionally which then bleeds like a fountain.  So I have to keep my old Gillette around to shave that part :(.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: October 18, 2012, 11:57:07 PM

Heh. My chin mole is practically gone because it has been lopped off so many times.  Alum/Styptic pen cures all.

-H.L. Mencken
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #258 on: October 19, 2012, 02:34:16 AM

Gee, thanks you guys.  Now I have jelly knees.   ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #259 on: October 19, 2012, 06:12:15 AM

I've actually had a couple of moles removed because I kept trying to do it myself.  I am much less likely to try and bleed myself to death now.  I have only cut myself bad once with the straight razor so far.  The key thing, with either a straight razor or "safety" razor (they're really anything but) is that you have to go slow, pay attention and not get in a hurry.  Did I say take it slow and pay attention? 

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: October 19, 2012, 06:23:35 AM

Just remembering to use a light hand with the safety razor goes a long way.  The weight of the razor on your face is more than enough.  Other than that, don't be shy with the lather, and take your time.  Nice triple pass shave (with, across, against the grain), and I usually don't have to shave for 2-3 days.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #261 on: October 19, 2012, 07:35:13 AM

Most insurances will cover mole removal if it 'interferes with shaving'. Also, the local plastic surgeon/butcher here is really hot.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: January 21, 2013, 08:12:17 AM

For my birthday I got a straight razor, strop, Kent silvertip brush and lather so I'm bumping this back up to read over. Been wanting to get a real shaving kit for a long time and finally did. Can't remember the name of the razor, but it's a german company (will have to double check).

Figure I'll start out with the brush and lather and work my way up to trying the straight razor. Still need to pick up a hone and most importantly, an Alum Block.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #263 on: January 21, 2013, 08:30:27 AM

My advice is to start shaving the easiest areas only at first.  I.E., shave the broad flat areas of your cheeks to practice instead of trying to shave under your nose.   awesome, for real  Also, you might pay attention to any areas that you have moles or skin tags.  If you cut them with a regular razor, they are definitely on the "be careful" list with a straight razor. 

Learn to strop really well.  You'll probably destroy your first one trying to learn.  As far as a hone, you may or may not need one to start, but  you'll need to put in a shitton of time stropping it at first to get it shave ready. 
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: January 21, 2013, 08:50:37 AM

Definitely the thing I need to learn is how to prep the razor properly. I have a full beard at the moment so there's not much to shave other than high on my cheeks and my neck, which I am NOT wanting to start with.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #265 on: January 21, 2013, 08:56:46 AM

The Straight Razor Place is a really good resource.  It's got instructions on just about anything you'd want to do and a decent forum too. 
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: January 21, 2013, 09:46:07 AM

Awesome - thanks Ghost.

I think the thing I'm most looking forward to is using the brush and lather. I can't wait to ditch the crap in the can shaving cream.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #267 on: January 21, 2013, 10:20:23 AM

I don't know if your kit has this, but look at getting some pre-shave oil.  It makes a huge difference and (I think) may help you from getting cut.  It definitely makes things a lot easier on the old face.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Shaving Thread  
Jump to: