Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 07:22:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Patch 1.0.6 - Highlights and more 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch 1.0.6 - Highlights and more  (Read 105822 times)
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: December 02, 2008, 03:09:00 PM

I think there were probably a fair number of babies thrown out with the bathwater, and it is to the point where anyone with <50 post automatically becomes suspect and their posts get filtered through all the wall of text nonsense that the other new people posted. Probably not really fair, but it is the way of the internets.

Oops... I got above 50... suckers!  Now my life has been validated, as well as also having something in common with someone who has an awful lot of unwarranted respect for himself.  Woo.  Now to go finish the trifecta by heading off to the bathroom.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 02, 2008, 03:10:15 PM

I haven't really been posting here all that long myself (maybe a year? I am definitely not part of the old guard), but the Giant Warhammer Online Marc Jacobs Stalking Invasion is really the first time I've particularly noticed a giant backlash against new posters. I think there were probably a fair number of babies thrown out with the bathwater, and it is to the point where anyone with <50 post automatically becomes suspect and their posts get filtered through all the wall of text nonsense that the other new people posted. Probably not really fair, but it is the way of the internets.

But yeah there is a bit of clannishness, and its hard to keep track of everyone and everything. I am still constantly caught by surprise by sudden flame wars between two people who seem perfectly normal over shit that went down like 8 years ago on some Scott Jennings comment thread or something, I just try to let that sort of thing wash over me.

That right there above. Has been amusing though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #72 on: December 02, 2008, 03:10:41 PM

It's not a competition.  Say your peace and take the hits/praise.  And move on to the next game/issue/thing.

And what AP said -- there are metric ton of worse sites out there.  Worse as in attitude and elitism.  
Yeah, I'll take responsibility for derailing here as much as anyone. I've done more reading here than posting since starting. It just annoyed me a bit watching the "god another newb" posts intermingled enough to derail a thread, and the immediate skepticism applied to a post from anyone with < ### posts. My bad for not just letting it ride, but if I was leaving, I thought I'd at least "wave" with a middle finger up to the folks feeling internet awesome for their veteran status here. ;)
I don't understand why you're hung up on this post count thing. It isn't about post count. It's about the brand of forum dev-stalking trash that trolled their way in here while stalking Mark. I suppose, given your signup date, that you didn't want to draw attention to the fact that you're probably part of that group. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't - but frankly, it doesn't matter. If I was feeling snarky, I'd come up with a classy way of calling you an "ignorant motherfucker" but sometimes the glove just fits.
schild
Administrator

Reply #73 on: December 02, 2008, 03:20:48 PM

As an experiment, I'm interested in seeing what happens when you have to represent the _children's_company_ you work for.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 02, 2008, 03:23:48 PM

Well Grim, I think this is a good forum because if you spew bullshit here you are called on it.  If you fanboi out you are called on it.  I try to be careful what I type here because I want my post to have value to the discussion.  Do you see an 'zomg FIRST' posts anywhere here?  Yes there are quite a few pricks here, but even pricks have a point (heh).

I'm sorry you don't feel welcome here.  But there is no welcome mat out.  If you want it you have to kick down the door and plop down on the couch and scream your point just like the rest of us.

I would guess devs come or lurk here because they get the unvarnished opinions of current and former players of their games.  Elitist?  I am pretty sure anyone can register here, you just have to have a coherent point and not break rules, i.e. starfucking.

schild
Administrator

Reply #75 on: December 02, 2008, 03:26:17 PM

This is a forum with a blog attached. You took over moderation. It's a job that millions of half retarded children do just fine every day on the internet.

Seriously, as a former CRM, you should know better than to insult a position like that. Way to set it back 10 years like some other folks decided to recently. But then, K2, so, whatever. No one probably noticed anyway. But no, half-retarded children do not "moderate" forums every day.

Really, the problem here, is you're a vile pissbag who feels some sort of entitlement by managing to fail upwards. Congratulations, you represent most of what is wrong with online gaming.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #76 on: December 02, 2008, 03:26:51 PM

Until very recently I always assumed the posters with low post counts were just keeping them to appear more edgy.

Edit, clarity.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:28:47 PM by Arthur_Parker »
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: December 02, 2008, 03:29:23 PM

Until very recently I always assumed the posters with low post counts were just keeping them to appear more edgy.

Edit, clarity.

For a long time I've thought about turning off post-counts. Too many people like them though. /shrug
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #78 on: December 02, 2008, 03:31:38 PM

This is a bit of what I'm talking about. "Taking the reins" when referring to an internet forum is like saying "sense of accomplishment" when talking about an MMORPG. It's out of scale in its context.
Hrmmmm. See, the thing is you're looking at this place as one of the billion videogame forums out there, and it's not the same thing. Or that the people here are a typical group of videogame messageboard participants, and they're not. If you think you've been handled unfairly, you're actually being handled like a cute puppy who's making a mess but is so cute and innocent that everyone just goes "Aaaaaawwwwwww....". Case in point is this post. I'm pretty sure it's the nicest post I've ever written here. Future posts from me will leave you in a state of shocked disbelief, missing fingers and covered in feces - possibly your own.

I wasn't around 5 years ago because, this may surprise you: I hadn't even heard of this place until a little over a month ago. It's that unknown. It's that unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
See, this is where you're wrong. While not the original website, this mesage board, the attached website, and it's community does in-fact have a pretty unique pedigree. 5 years ago wasn't even the beginning. It was the beginning of this iteration of a phoenix. Most of the shit you boardn00bs are saying is shit we argued to a conclusion before Y2K. MMO and gaming discussion here are refined to the point of grandmaster chess games. It's like a guy who likes to play chess casually a few times a month gets to play Kasparov, moves a pawn up two squares on his first move, and declares checkmate as he leans back away from the table. It's unknown and we like it like that. The influx of people to starfuck Mark was most unwelcome. If you want to stay, great - but remember you're the new guy in a gameshop full of people who've known each other 5-10 years.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Grim
Developers

TC Digital

Reply #79 on: December 02, 2008, 03:35:46 PM

I'm sorry you don't feel welcome here.  But there is no welcome mat out.  If you want it you have to kick down the door and plop down on the couch and scream your point just like the rest of us.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:23:57 PM by Grim »
Grim
Developers

TC Digital

Reply #80 on: December 02, 2008, 03:37:46 PM

As an experiment, I'm interested in seeing what happens when you have to represent the _children's_company_ you work for.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:56:27 PM by Grim »
schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: December 02, 2008, 03:40:27 PM

Well, when that happens (retroactively, which would lead someone reading it new to believe this was done -before- I wrote what I've written...), I have to modify of course. That's another reality of the internet: People can screw with your livelihood and the fear of litigation/bad press can do harm to a family. I wrote what I wrote as an individual, not a spokesperson.

Rule Number 1:
YOU'RE ALWAYS A SPOKESPERSON.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #82 on: December 02, 2008, 03:45:20 PM

This is awesome.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

-Rasix
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #83 on: December 02, 2008, 03:55:51 PM

Wow, I posted before lunch, and all this awesome happened. What is it about Warhammer threads that just explode in some unexpected yet fun direction.

Maybe someone should like to the Vajentus thread, you know, for the children.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #84 on: December 02, 2008, 03:56:16 PM

You know I was going to quote him in full each time just in case he did the emo rage quit, edit previous posts to blank thing.  Then I thought, not worth the effort, nobody does that in 2008.
schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: December 02, 2008, 04:00:28 PM

You know I was going to quote him in full each time just in case he did the emo rage quit, edit previous posts to blank thing.  Then I thought, not worth the effort, nobody does that in 2008.

Screengrab! -> Save -> Complete Frame/Page -> Title -> Click Save.

Of course, I have to edit out IP addresses whenever I save things for posterity. Oh, internet. Maybe it's about time for f13 to put together an easy-to-read manual: "So you work for a game developer? Want to post on forums? Here's how!"

Edit: Clarity.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 02, 2008, 04:03:08 PM

I thought it was still time to party like it's 1999?
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 02, 2008, 04:50:16 PM

Holy hell, I was gone for just a few hours.

Newbie culls and trial by fire was the first thing that attracted me to this forum. If what was going on here wasn't my bag, I think I'd do what any sane man would do when faced with the situation, and not be a part of it. I've never walked into someone's living room or hell, just a circle of people talking, and expected their mannerisms or values to conform to my view- so I've no clue why you'd expect it.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #88 on: December 02, 2008, 04:53:38 PM

He edited out all his posts.   Love Letters
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #89 on: December 02, 2008, 06:36:46 PM

Jade Constantine 2.0 (and yes, damnit, i missed the fun TT)

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
schild
Administrator

Reply #90 on: December 02, 2008, 06:38:47 PM

More Vajuras than Jade. And I wouldn't call psychological re-education "fun." At least, not for the dev receiving said education.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #91 on: December 02, 2008, 06:42:00 PM

More Vajuras than Jade. And I wouldn't call psychological re-education "fun." At least, not for the dev receiving said education.

Soooooome people paint unicorns, sooooooooome people punch babies.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Warskull
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 02, 2008, 07:04:13 PM

Back on the topic of 1.06, holy crap this patch sucks.

All skills with a cast time now have an additional 1-2 seconds where the character is just locked in the animation and does not cast the spell.

A number of players are experience random log-outs, no pause like you have lost connection, just dumped straight back to the log-in screen.

It's a Funcom quality patch.  ACK!
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 02, 2008, 07:32:51 PM

Yeah, lots of weirdness.  My Runepriest's wards (or whatever they're called) are grayed out and the game says he can't cast them on anyone but groupmates, even when he's targetting a groupmate.

Was trying to level a Witch Hunter through tier 1, think I may put that on hold for a while... yuck.  On the other hand, tier 1 healers and RDPS are like gods, and the scenarios are popping like it was launch day or something.
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 03, 2008, 12:38:49 AM

Back on the topic of 1.06, holy crap this patch sucks.

I wouldn't know - all the servers were down again for another extended patch when I wanted to play last night.

On the subject matter of patches, Mythic sure isn't trying very hard these days - well at least not against Blizzard. I'd like to meet the genius who planned and scheduled this patch on the same day and time that ALL US and Oceania servers would also be down.

The best time to snag a WoW player away from WoW would be on the day they can't play WoW. Its very obvious. Last night all WoW servers were down, I said to myself, "time to check out the WAR game I installed but never really played because I was levelling a Death Knight." Well, after downloading a ~100mb patch - all WAR servers were down too for several hours + an emergency patch! Meh... I just logged off the computer and watched some TV.

Blizzard US WoW server downtimes have been on Tuesdays for like forever, would it kill Mythic to have their game available on days that people can't play it's biggest competitor? Ya, it may only be that one day on 2nd December - but I canceled my renewal last night; I'll only be playing WAR until my free month is up.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #95 on: December 03, 2008, 12:41:19 AM

What the hell happened here?
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: December 03, 2008, 01:19:34 AM

What the hell happened here?

Its December.  I think we had our first (hopefully of many) Christmas miracle. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Jesper
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 03, 2008, 02:16:08 AM

back to 1.0.6, i'm surprised no one noticed how this patch brings some curious stealth changes.
IE: Detonate does now almost 66% damage less on its DOT portion, while the only change listed in patch notes is about Detonate's DD portion. This is a huge stealth nerf, giving that this spell was one of the main reasons why BWs topped scenarios' damage chart in the first place.

PS: forgive my bad english; that's because this isn't my native language.
PPS: i'm a newb and i'm in this thread...not a smart move maybe ACK!
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #98 on: December 03, 2008, 02:22:02 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #99 on: December 03, 2008, 02:38:07 AM

back to 1.0.6, i'm surprised no one noticed how this patch brings some curious stealth changes.
IE: Detonate does now almost 66% damage less on its DOT portion, while the only change listed in patch notes is about Detonate's DD portion. This is a huge stealth nerf, giving that this spell was one of the main reasons why BWs topped scenarios' damage chart in the first place.

It's possible this will only be the start of a new phase of nerfs.  Something I first noticed with AC2, when a game is not doing very well, the devs can start to treat the remaining players as the enemy, sucking the remaining fun out of the game.  They can't punish the players who left, so the only targets are those still playing.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 03, 2008, 05:26:00 AM

This patch just reiterates their overlying issues (as discussed in great length all over the net these days). Even the fanbois on the VN boards are slowing their roll. Warhammer Alliance is doing the same thing. The least common denominator here is Mythic, not the players like that asshat said on his blog. Mythic has completely lost it's 'way'. Sure DAOC had issues at launch, but they did not see a massive exodus of players like WAR has seen. Personally, I think WAR is in major damage control mode and therefore these patches are going to be tweaked to get immediate fixes to keep people holding on till they can re-work their goals and objectives. I don't think this game will go the way of Tabula Rasa, but with the subs that I assume it's losing no game can sustain that kind of loss without serious repercussions down the road.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #101 on: December 03, 2008, 05:56:31 AM

PS: forgive my bad english; that's because this isn't my native language.
PPS: i'm a newb and i'm in this thread...not a smart move maybe ACK!

They also made white lion pets affected by group heals and buffs.

They hinted they would look at doing that on the test forum, but I am surprised it wasn't in the patch notes - that one change has a bigger effect on the class than all the other piddly tweaks put together.

Communication problems.

Edit: By 'they', I obviously mean the space monkeys.

Edit2: So they put a 'here's the patch notes that we left out of the patch notes' update. Cool beans.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:46:41 AM by Jherad »
Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 03, 2008, 06:58:26 AM

The killer is I soooo wanted to like this game, to play it, to revel in the warhammer universe like I did in my 40K/FRP days...but mythic had to go and screw up the mechanics.

Now they don't know what they want to do, stuck between what they said originally and imitating the big boy on the block.  Whoever posted that thread about the MMOG landscape and how it has been static since 2004 is spot on.

Until these companies learn that the bar has been raised, we will continue to see this particular brand of fail.

Still, I would be excited to see a starcraft MMO. smiley
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 03, 2008, 07:04:44 AM

I was there too Demonix. I really wanted this game to work. Through all the issues in beta, through all the issues post launch, through the mass exodus of players, it's just not.

Now, where was that thread about the bet for how many total active subs the game has by the end of December? I think the person around 250-300k is gonna win (or it could go lower since these latest patches still havent fixed Fort crashes, etc...)
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 03, 2008, 07:12:35 AM

The bar has not been raised, this game is just missing fun and needs to get it back.  Open RvR is key, not quests or anything else that most would point to as 'raising the bar'.  They have the art, they have a decent IP, but they are missing the game.  If you think WoW raised the bar then go play WoW and enjoy the incredible amount of work Blizzard put into that game, I would rather play an interesting half done game that implemented RvR in a way that made the game fun.

edit: missing letters, I blame my kybrd
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Patch 1.0.6 - Highlights and more  
Jump to: