Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:34:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Overlord - Triumph Studios - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overlord - Triumph Studios - PC  (Read 13165 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: November 26, 2008, 12:06:40 PM

It's like Pikmin, but better.  No annoying time limits, and instead of faceless plant dudes you're controlling funny gobliny things.  It's sort of RPG-ish in that there's a story line with quests, and upgrades for your character as well as for your mob of minions.  Combat is fun -- most of the time you just point at the thing you want dead, you click, and your horde of goblins goes to jump on it and beat it with clubs.  If the things they killed drop weapons or armor, they automatically take them and equip them to increase their own stats, and if there's treasure, the goblins automatically bring it back to you with a gleeful cry of "for Master!"  It's very satisfying and very low on micromanagement.

I discovered this game via the free demo in the Steam store a while back.  Initially held off on buying it at$40, but when it hit $10 this past weekend I couldn't say no.  Now that I've gotten to play more of it, I wish I'd bought it earlier at $40 so I'd have more time for L4D now.

--

Buy it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 12:20:56 PM

I feel like it gets a little tedious about the time you hit the desert, but if you can find it for cheap it is pretty entertaining to watch your little goblin dudes swarm all over dwarves and elves and such. It should also probably be said its portrayal/treatment of women will probably annoy some people; it bothered me a bit.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:27:14 PM

According to Steam I'm about 10 hours in, and no tedium yet.  I've only just gotten the blue dudes.  This game is shaping up to be much bigger than I thought it'd be.

I think I've only encountered one female character so far and she's pretty badass, apparently having the ability to remodel stone castles with her bare hands.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 12:28:26 PM

I played it and beat it and ultmiately agree with the reviewer, it was a lot of fun.  It also at times got a little monotonous watching your wrecking crew wipe out everything under the sun.  The two criticisms I would make of it was that it seemed like I had to do a lot of farming toward the end for specific essences in order to craft.  It took literally hundreds of essences to make maxed out equipment.  When you made maxed out equipment, the maxed out equipment seemed somewhat lacking as well.

The end fight was really cool though and very creatively done.  My second criticism was here though.  It was really very tough for me personally because it is certainly not colorblind friendly if your trying to match colored auras instead of mobbing.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:29:58 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 01:02:29 PM

I almost bought this on the strength of the demo. When it hit $6 on amazon, it went into the basket for my next order. Unfortunately it jumped to $15, breaking my "under $10 cart". Still would like to give it a whirl if there's time after Fallout 3 and then GTA4.
The two criticisms I would make of it was that it seemed like I had to do a lot of farming toward the end for specific essences in order to craft.  It took literally hundreds of essences to make maxed out equipment.  When you made maxed out equipment, the maxed out equipment seemed somewhat lacking as well.
That logic seems to cancel itself out. Don't farm for equipment that is lacking!
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:43:02 PM

The equipment is easy to get not much farming needed. Just go into your arena and fight some arena fights. I would typically go in solo and just man handle certain types for cash and merchandise.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 01:47:19 PM

The two criticisms I would make of it was that it seemed like I had to do a lot of farming toward the end for specific essences in order to craft.  It took literally hundreds of essences to make maxed out equipment.  When you made maxed out equipment, the maxed out equipment seemed somewhat lacking as well.
That logic seems to cancel itself out. Don't farm for equipment that is lacking!

Sadly it doesn't cancel itself at all when you use upper level reading comprehension what it says is very simple.  It says that you spend hours collecting hundreds of essences.  You use those essences to craft armor maxed in its stats.  Those max stated armor pieces are not worth the effort put into it after crafting.  You really don't have any idea if the equipment piece will be lacking until you try it out.  So my criticism was that the upgrades weren't worth the effort you put into them.  I hope that is clearer.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:54:18 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 08:11:44 PM

Oh yes, the upper level reading comprehension.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 09:36:44 PM

I believe Terry Pratchett's daughter was one of the writers. The game is quite tongue-in-cheek.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 07:06:54 AM

This game was fun and amusing. It's definitely worth playing, now that it's in the bargain bin.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 07:18:57 AM

Sadly it doesn't cancel itself at all when you use upper level reading comprehension what it says is very simple.  It says that you spend hours collecting hundreds of essences.  You use those essences to craft armor maxed in its stats.  Those max stated armor pieces are not worth the effort put into it after crafting.  You really don't have any idea if the equipment piece will be lacking until you try it out.  So my criticism was that the upgrades weren't worth the effort you put into them.  I hope that is clearer.

Too bad someone didn't use "upper level composition" when responding.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 08:45:13 AM

mm..Still have a $10 boxed copy of this sitting around somewhere. Unopened.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 07:56:47 PM

Get a 360 controller if you are going to play this.  This game was made for a gamepad.

It's uber though.  Did the expansion ever come out in the US?
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 02:26:29 AM

I had a big meh on this game. Was fun for a while, then it just gets way too repetitive.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 08:50:56 AM

I had a big meh on this game. Was fun for a while, then it just gets way too repetitive.

Pretty much how I felt about it.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 11:00:24 AM

Get a 360 controller if you are going to play this.  This game was made for a gamepad.

It's uber though.  Did the expansion ever come out in the US?

Yeah, the expansion is available from their website.  It's on my list to play at some point.  Go into their forums, I think it's like $12 for the xpac download. 

They're working on a Wii version that will be a different game, and also Overlord2.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 09:15:38 AM

I'll second this. It was literally made for a gamepad. The mouse makes it terribly frustrating to play.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 11:41:07 AM

I actually can't imagine playing this game without mouselook.  Although I can see a thumbstick being much better for "sweeping".

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 12:38:14 PM

I actually can't imagine playing this game without mouselook.  Although I can see a thumbstick being much better for "sweeping".

that's pretty much it.  I had a much easier time strategically sweeping my minions with the thumbstick then with the mouse. 
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 08:49:42 AM

A weak looking dynasty warriors clone with no mouselook controls?? There's better indy games than that around.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 11:42:47 AM

BOOO, I went to install my unopened copy....

It has Starforce!!

I guess I'll pick up the 360 version at some point.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 11:58:27 AM

Or get the Steam version the next time it's cheap.  Get the demo off Steam if you want to get a feel for how it plays on the PC.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 09:17:14 AM

I feel like it gets a little tedious about the time you hit the desert, but if you can find it for cheap it is pretty entertaining to watch your little goblin dudes swarm all over dwarves and elves and such. It should also probably be said its portrayal/treatment of women will probably annoy some people; it bothered me a bit.
It didn't bother me, but then all the characters are so over-the-top that I couldn't take it seriously.  It did annoy me I couldn't play a female overlord, though it's a complaint I have with many games.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 11:33:19 AM

A weak looking dynasty warriors clone with no mouselook controls?? There's better indy games than that around.

I played the demo not the full game but I didn't get Dynasty Warriors from that at all.  Not even a little bit.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 01:26:49 PM

Speedy has absolutely no clue what he's talking about, which is fine, he just needs to be made aware of that.

Speedy, stop talking out of your ass.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Overlord - Triumph Studios - PC  
Jump to: