Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:13:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Day the Earth Stood Still 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Day the Earth Stood Still  (Read 14252 times)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 07:50:06 PM

Think of it as a test of a scientist's qualifications.  If the scientist gets on the plane, they weren't that good to begin with.  If they kick you in the balls and steal your car to start driving in the opposite direction, they're a keeper.
Le0
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 10:42:57 PM

I watched this movie yesterday and I have to say I was not impressed, nearly felt asleep.
I'd not recommand watching this movie if you need sleep!
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 01:39:58 PM

This was a pretty horrible remake of an incredible movie.

At least the special effects were OK, and Keanu's wooden acting was perfect as an alien.

RE: Hoth:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:47:02 PM by bhodi »
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 05:17:14 PM

This thread is annoying if you don't want to click the spoiler tags.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 26, 2008, 04:02:15 PM

Just saw it.  Good, not great.  OMG I just had a breakthru!  Jennifer Connely saved the Earth.  JC? zomg.

She needs to eat a sammich btw...

I have rather Netflixed it. 

Also, did anyone else face really big crowds today?  We went at 4pm and it was like the streets of Soylent Green fer chrissakes...er I mean Jennifer's sakes.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 11:45:54 PM

Sandwich? Man, what's up with that anyways? I see it from both men and women lately when referring to normal people.

Anyhow, I agree.. Good, but not great. Keanu was pretty good in it too. I think this movie could have been a little longer, and with more robot asskicking though. That thing still looks cool, 50 years later.

[edit] Ahem. Seriously though..

Asking for more than that would just tell me you're one of those "feeders".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:02:09 AM by Stray »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 27, 2009, 08:06:20 AM

Rented it this weekend.  Never saw the original.  Was pretty ho hum.  Keanu is pretty convincing as a robotic, lacking completely in charisma, alien.  Jennifer Connelly isn't as hot as she used to be.  The whole thing just kind of falls flat...neither good as an action/doomsday film, nor does it have a particularly compelling story.

Fair enough for a rainy day rental, but don't do anything stupid like going out and buying the dumb thing.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 27, 2009, 09:05:32 AM

Agree with the addition that Jaden Smith (Will Smith's son) plays Jennifer Connelly's stepson and made the movie much worse by his presence (with the help of some bad writing).

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 09:22:33 AM

I picked up the bluray 2 disc set for the included original version. It's still a good movie, with a decent transfer. A bit slick looking in places, but eminently watchable on a big tv.

I have no desire to watch the Keanu version.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 10:24:48 AM

Agree with the addition that Jaden Smith (Will Smith's son) plays Jennifer Connelly's stepson and made the movie much worse by his presence (with the help of some bad writing).

Didn't know that...didn't think he was that bad, though.  There was one scene where he cried rather convincingly.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 27, 2009, 12:15:13 PM

That character was fucking annoying and utterly pointless. Disaster movies do not automatically require children. I also thought Keanu's role was really well cast and very believable but the ending to the whole thing left me a bit cold. All they really did was throw our technology back a couple of hundred years and make us aware there was other life in the universe, I'm not sure if that would really be enough to get humanity to change in character. It's not the sort of definitively ongoing threat that's going to cause people to work together and fix shit, considering most people don't know why they attacked and without global communications it's going to take a long time for that information to get disseminated.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 27, 2009, 03:08:21 PM

All they really did was throw our technology back a couple of hundred years

Well, there's also the small detail of how they were going to kill everybody in the process.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 27, 2009, 03:19:43 PM

I didn't mean the intended plot but "Keanu"'s belief that this would be the catalyst needed for humanity to change. I guess I meant that by the end of it he was dead, we were back 200 years technologically and, now what? Like I said above it didn't seem like that alone would be enough to change humanity, he hadn't exactly communicated his beliefs home and I was left pretty sure he dies and so wouldn't be about to do so. What's the result? Another alien ship turns up and wipes us out or we just potter about until we get advanced enough for this to happen again? I guess I didn't feel there was the kind of closure a film like this needs.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 07:38:34 AM

Merged :)

I thought I had remembered my strong feelings about this movie!
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 02:15:01 PM

Yea, my only real problems with the movie as a popcorn flick all lie at the feet of Jaden. Stupid famous parents.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #50 on: June 05, 2009, 09:16:47 PM

This movie is almost Battlefield Earth bad.  The cinematography is terrible, the acting is putrid and the special effects makes dogs and cats eat their own babies.

The sad thing is, this could have been excellent with a bit of acting help. It's pretty sad when Keanu is actually a high point.

Recommendation:  If you watch this movie, drink............heavily.  Enough so you don't see the ending.
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: June 05, 2009, 09:25:00 PM

This movie is almost Battlefield Earth bad.

No, it really, really isn't. I'd wager you haven't seen enough bad movies if you're saying that.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #52 on: June 06, 2009, 12:25:26 PM

I could never sit through this whole thing, but I'll just point out that if you waved a magic wand and kicked human technology back to a pre-industrial state, the net result would be an unprecedented holocaust with billions dead and the complete collapse of human society. There were less than a billion people on earth 200 years ago, now there are almost seven billion. There would just plain be no possible way to feed them all.

So instead of wiping out humanity, Space Keanu just decided to wipe out a couple hundred times more than Hitler and Stalin combined and call it even. Good times.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #53 on: June 07, 2009, 06:37:00 PM

This movie is almost Battlefield Earth bad.

No, it really, really isn't. I'd wager you haven't seen enough bad movies if you're saying that.

I disagree. This movie was putrid..............absolutely terrible.  It might not have been Battlefield Earth bad without Will Smith's kid, but he tipped it over the edge.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 07, 2009, 06:54:58 PM

There are poor movies, there are bad movies, and then there's Battlefield Earth.  Seriously, have you seen the movie?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #55 on: June 07, 2009, 07:23:40 PM

There are poor movies, there are bad movies, and then there's Battlefield Earth.  Seriously, have you seen the movie?

Yep.  It's my opinion.  Apparently there are people around that like this movie.......

Color me shocked.
craan
Terracotta Army

... . ...br.. . ..br. . ...br

Reply #56 on: June 07, 2009, 08:25:55 PM

Your opinion on this is wrong.

This movie's thread didn't deserve to be Godwin'd Battlefield Earth'd.

PWYWWYFSWLSOCA
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #57 on: June 12, 2009, 03:14:27 PM

You seem to live in a conceptual framework in which the two available opinions on a movie are 'like' and 'Battlefield Earth'.

Broaden your horizons.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #58 on: June 12, 2009, 04:17:50 PM

edit: damnit, nvm

++
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:22:04 PM by stray »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #59 on: June 12, 2009, 08:32:16 PM

You seem to live in a conceptual framework in which the two available opinions on a movie are 'like' and 'Battlefield Earth'.

Broaden your horizons.

I think it is as bad as Battlefield Earth.  Is that a problem? 

People get very serious on F13 about their gradation of bad movies. 

"This one isn't so much an F as a D minus, Travis.  You're totally off base there."  Funniness then ensues.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #60 on: June 12, 2009, 09:11:06 PM

I haven't even seen Battlefield Earth, but I think I'll just say you're full of shit anyways.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #61 on: June 12, 2009, 10:03:24 PM

I haven't even seen Battlefield Earth, but I think I'll just say you're full of shit anyways.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I am.  don't you have to be to post on this board?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #62 on: June 12, 2009, 10:35:31 PM

Not sure. Maybe I should Google the answer.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Day the Earth Stood Still  
Jump to: