Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:54:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 360 Dashboard Incident 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 360 Dashboard Incident  (Read 20220 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: November 19, 2008, 10:33:47 AM

I won't have a hands-on until this evening, but early reports are that it is largely advertisement-riddled ass.  Anyone else get this yet?  Do I need to disco from the network so I can continue to enjoy my games?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 10:42:24 AM

Been  using it for about 2 weeks now, pretty much ad free.

Better keep in mind that my xbox stays offline 99% of the time.

The ripping to HD thing is kinda useful, and the dash is far faster, especially when accessed mid-game. Avatars are meh.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 10:43:47 AM

I won't have a hands-on until this evening, but early reports are that it is largely advertisement-riddled ass.
This is coming from the idiots who are so fucking stupid they refuse to acknowledge the last blade of the "ads" that says "HIDE THIS CHANNEL PERMANENTLY."

God I hate some of the people on live.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:45:38 AM

If it is indeed faster, then that's great.  And it's not like the current dashboard is ad-free.  I just don't want to lose my Frank West picture.  I'd cry.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 11:04:52 AM

My 360 did a RROD the other day.

I haven't tried it again since Wrath of the Lich King came out.

The Netflix thing does pique my interest, though.

Then again, Hulu is amazing.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 11:14:34 AM

Did the install earlier.  The dashboard now reminds me of the XMB or the Zune interface turned sideways and is super fast.  Hitting the guide button basically calls up the old 'blades' if you're more of a traditionalist.

Installing to HDD is nice for games like Fable 2 which caused the optical drive to thrash all the time.  Ads are still there, but they're not as obtrusive as they used to be.

You can still keep/use your old gamer pictures, fortunately.

Looking forward to NetFlix, though there's apparently been some issues with registration due to heavy traffic.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 11:19:22 AM

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:29:10 AM by NiX »
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 11:20:47 AM

Then again, Hulu is amazing.

You know about PlayOn right?

I used that last night for the first time.  Chuck on Hulu on my TV from my 360.

<3
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 05:23:05 PM

I like the installability aspect. Not so keen on the overall look and feel so far. Wish I could skip the Miis entirely, if I can be bothered I'll try to make mine look as much like Freddy Mercury as possible.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 07:46:14 PM

Why can't I change my goddamn hair color?

-Rasix
Phire
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 07:57:56 PM

Why can't I change my goddamn hair color?

Its there. You might have to select your hairstyle again to bring up the color menu.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 08:12:50 PM

I hate the layout of things. I feel like I have to scroll and scroll and scroll just to see which of my friends are online.  They took out the groupings of videos too, so now instead of all being arranged under whatever game they represent, if you have more than 1 video for something, they're spread all over based on name. I'm really hoping there's options I haven't had time to find to rearrange things better.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 08:19:45 PM

The Mii-toos look awful and are really shameless ripoffs. They aren't nearly customizable enough and the existing options aren't enough either. It really makes a difference being able to move your features around and such on real Miis. Even selecting them has a similar animation to picking up Miis. My Mii-too looks like retarded, lobotomized overly happy dimension X version of someone who vaguely looks like me. I can't even put a 5 O'clock shadow on because the one they offer looks like chocolate smeared on your face.

The actual interface - meh, I buy systems to play games, not to navigate menus. I hear the party stuff is nice though.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 08:39:34 PM

Netflix is a HUGE win.  I've been using Play-On for some time and the quality of the built in stuff is so far superior its not even funny. 
As for the rest... meh... Pretty much every other item on the Left/Right portion of the system is some kind of ad.  Which seems bad but really is it that much different from what we had?
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 05:19:13 AM

You can still use the Xbox button to access a much faster version of all the menus.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 07:38:08 AM

Why exactly am I making a bobblehead?
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 07:38:59 AM

Because Microsoft has no fucking clue what they're doing?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 09:10:16 AM

To get a +1 to a SPECIAL attribute.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 09:20:51 AM

It was Seinfeld's idea.

I installed Fable II to disk and I can vouch for there being a noticeable shortening in load times, which is good since Fable II is a dog.

The menus themselves aren't terribly annoying, like I feared.  Looks like the iTouch album browser, except there's a crappy Mii in there sometimes.  They are indeed faster, and Frank West is still in there somewhere.  I particularly like how you can easily see downloadable content for a game without having to navigate into the store menu.

The avatars.  How the hell does someone underperform a ripoff of a simplistic Nintendo idea?  I mean, really.  These things have about the same level of customization as a MetaPlace avatar.  I know that they are going to charge us for clothes and junk, but the fact that I cannot put the eyes underneath the mouth is just sad.  I don't think I can even make the ubiquitous Hitler, which is a big fail.  Even Nintendo gave us Hitler mustaches.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 09:53:18 AM

I hate the layout of things. I feel like I have to scroll and scroll and scroll just to see which of my friends are online.  They took out the groupings of videos too, so now instead of all being arranged under whatever game they represent, if you have more than 1 video for something, they're spread all over based on name. I'm really hoping there's options I haven't had time to find to rearrange things better.

This. IMO the new friends list is ASS. I was pretty disappointed with it. I like the *idea" behind the NXE, but it seems like I have to scroll much more to find anything. Maybe I am missing some stuff.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 10:05:11 AM

Well that was fun for about ten minutes.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 11:23:58 AM

I installed Fable II to disk and I can vouch for there being a noticeable shortening in load times, which is good since Fable II is a dog.

How much room does Fable II (or any typical game I guess) take to install on an Xbox hard drive?
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 11:46:55 AM

How much room does Fable II (or any typical game I guess) take to install on an Xbox hard drive?

I think it was right around 7GB.  I'd imagine other games are similar.

Edit:  Found a fairly complete list on GAF.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:58:14 AM by MisterNoisy »

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 12:18:29 PM

To get a +1 to a SPECIAL attribute.

Alternately, it could be a +10 to barter, and I think we all know by now no one wants that, but that might be bringing this metaphor way too close to home.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 12:26:43 PM

Mass Effect (6.8 GB) -- No more "Loading" pauses when moving too fast. Elevator load times are identical (hardcoded)

Damn.  This is just sad, Bioware.

Phire
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 12:29:08 PM

Mass Effect (6.8 GB) -- No more "Loading" pauses when moving too fast. Elevator load times are identical (hardcoded)

Damn.  This is just sad, Bioware.

I don't think when they made the game that they expected a system update that allowed you to install to the HD. Same with Halo 3 which actually loads slower from the HD than the DVD.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 01:10:52 PM

Oh, sure, but hardcoded elevator rides?  I mean, I was thinking it was a load screen but now that I know it was a design decision, I'm a tad annoyed.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 01:12:18 PM

Actually, if you used those teleport points they gave, you could have noticed that the elevators are REAL elevators, with static speed and all. Teleporting always gave a way faster loading time.

Yay for immersion?  awesome, for real

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 01:27:24 PM

Oh, sure, but hardcoded elevator rides?  I mean, I was thinking it was a load screen but now that I know it was a design decision, I'm a tad annoyed.

How will you get your galactic news updates without elevator rides!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 01:30:57 PM

How will you get your galactic news updates without elevator rides!

On my PipBoy.

What teleporters?

ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 02:08:37 PM

I think it was right around 7GB.  I'd imagine other games are similar.

Edit:  Found a fairly complete list on GAF.

Great list, thanks.  I grabbed a cheap (well, cheaper than retail but still overpriced) 120GB drive a couple days ago thinking the installs would be big.  Looks like I'll keep it.

Now I just need an Arcade.     swamp poop
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 02:21:01 PM

According to CAG, you might have luck finding a 120GB 360 HDD for under $100 at Circuit City.  No idea how long it'll last at that price.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 03:05:15 PM

For those hating on the friends list setup:

Right bumper sends you through the list at intervals of 5 (I think, it's some interval) allowing you to navigate through your friends faster.

Also, the left and right trigger navigate to My Xbox, Spotlight or one other tab with great speed.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 04:10:38 PM

According to CAG, you might have luck finding a 120GB 360 HDD for under $100 at Circuit City.  No idea how long it'll last at that price.

That's where I grabbed the 120GB drive.  I was running errands and decided to duck into Circuit City to try my luck.  It was still marked at full price but it rang up at $99, and I was able to use a $15 coupon at the desk on it after buying a candy bar. 

I figured $85 for this drive is as cheap as I'm going to see it, and will let me install games aplenty for when I build my Voltron Xbox out of an Arcade.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 07:47:05 PM

So do you pretty much HAVE to have a 60gb or 120gb drive for this to be useful at all?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 360 Dashboard Incident  
Jump to: