Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:18:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 360 Dashboard Incident 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 360 Dashboard Incident  (Read 20413 times)
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 09:34:39 PM

You could still do it with a 20gb but you could probably only have one game installed at a time.

I saw a 360 hard drive clearanced at 50% off at two Targets in the past week. I'm pretty sure it was the 120gb, may have been the 60.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 10:27:17 AM

What teleporters?

Click

It's the rapid transit thingie.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 02:17:57 PM

I RRODd just before the update.

So that's still happening, in case anyone was wondering.  According to UPS, my Xbox just left Oklahoma City an hour ago on its way to Mesquite, Texas for a colonoscopy.  I wouldn't have cared as much except that it was our only DVD player. 

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 09:36:42 AM

Way to go Microsoft QA

I clicked on the NXE live weekend celebration thing and Now I"m stuck.  I am clicking the back button, and I see the "B" button lighting up on the screen but I can't get back to the main menu.  GG

Other then that I think I like it
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 09:58:52 AM

Netflix instant queue is awesome.
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 10:11:01 AM

Yes I agree.  I watched a bunch of stuff yesterday with the Netflix client and am quite happy.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 10:53:01 AM

I'm disappointed they haven't improved the scrolling through videos and music on pcs.  It's still a pain to go through 1400 albums and artists :<  My zen does it better
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 24, 2008, 02:34:52 PM

I just had an epiphany. 

The time, money, and effort spent on this pointless shit could have been spent getting the rest of the X Box's games workable on the 360.

So I have a dumb little avatar that is in some ways superior to the shitty ones on the Wii I don't care about, in others inferior.

Instead I could be able to play Gungriffon, Gunvalkyrie, Jaws Unleashed, Mech Assault 1, Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, Robotech Invasion, Jedi Outcast, Timesplitters Future Perfect, X Men Legends, Taito Legends, Midway Arcade Treasures, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, and Capcom Classics Collection Volume 1.

I know not all of the above are great games or even good ones, but I sure would like to play them all again.  I also know a few of the above aren't there so we can pay 5 dollars a game on XBLA for a title that came with around 20 of its cousins for 20 bucks.  (Luckily enough I was able to get Midway Treasures 2 for 10 bucks for the PS2 so as to replace that one.  A few later retro collections I made sure to only buy the PS2 version.)

Lack of BC is what has completely removed any desire I have to own Sony's overpriced shitbox of marketplace failure.

Instead Microsoft, who OWES ME for making a machine built heavily out of half chewed bubblegum and dried jizm gives us an irrelevant OS upgrade instead of more old games to play.

DICKS!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #43 on: November 24, 2008, 05:39:53 PM

OK...  You're really got to quit sharing.   awesome, for real 

I don't think Microsoft is really trying to do anything more with the retro-gamer crowd than milk them through XBL and the downloadable originals. What do they gain for fixing backwards compatibility for decidedly niche crap titles? Good will? They've pissed that away with the RROD. New sales? How many basement dwellers are on the fence because they're not buying a 360 unless their copy of fucking Jaws Unleashed will run on it.  Fixing more BC just negates future DL only sales.

Lack of decent BC hurts the PS3 I think very little.  Hell, I got over it, and I'm holding onto a bunch of games like they're going age like fine wine.  They'll likely just gather dust rather than see any significant play time.  I'm just keeping my PS2 on the off chance that I'll play the one or two series I own that don't work well on the PS3 (still wish I had a 60gig).   Are you going to run out of composite/component slots on your TV or something?

Still, this is a largely stupid waste of money on their part.  Just not for the cooky reasons you state. The OLD UI was just fine albeit a little clunky.  Hell, they could have done the new UI without the dumb avatards. 

TL;DR: You're not a viable market.  If you want proof, read others' posts here and then read your own.  Notice anything?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:41:43 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 12:28:59 AM

Getting a little off track, the lack of BC is the only thing that's truly stopped me from buying a PS3 to date. Well, that and the high price and limited number of exclusive titles that aren't available on 360, but if the BC was fixed, I'd suck it up on the price and lack of exclusives.

Not that I use the BC on the 360 much, but I was a diehard PS2 guy and have a lot more PS2 titles, and the upscaling is very prettyful, so the BC US 360 games still look bloody good on my new you-beaut TV, but the PS2 stuff looks like aliased arse.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 06:16:13 AM

The new UI is ok, it is really just the Windows Media UI (which is just the Sony Online UI I was using for FFXI beta 6 years ago) in 3D.  It still has the same big problem the old UI had, organizing hundreds of similar things - whether they are games or movies or music or etc...  It just really sucks at that and that's the ONE thing they needed to get right.

But uh, backwards compatibility?  Completely wrong thing for them to focus on.

But Netflix is kewl, I'll probably cancel my premium cable channel subscription(s) because of that so it will actually save me some money and, maybe, light a fire under Comcasts ass to try and please their customers.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Phire
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 25, 2008, 08:59:39 AM

I am sure the whole thing is just a test run of the new UI for their next system.
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: November 25, 2008, 09:01:47 AM

I am sure the whole thing is just a test run of the new UI for their next system.

Xbox 720: The Full Retard Edition.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 25, 2008, 09:50:52 AM

Weeeeeee.

"Open Tray" error.

Right when I buy GoW2 to coop w/ my bro who's in town this week.

Lovely.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #49 on: November 25, 2008, 11:09:54 AM

Lack of BC is what has completely removed any desire I have to own Sony's overpriced shitbox of marketplace failure.

Where were you when the 60GB and 20GB PS3 were on shelves?  Thanks to your did-not-buy-one, you are now stuck with shitty BC.  Of course you can still buy a shiny new PS2 for $130, so BC isn't really an issue.  Unless you like virtual memory cards and upscaling.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #50 on: November 25, 2008, 11:38:58 AM

Where were you when the 60GB and 20GB PS3 were on shelves?

He's was probably right there with everyone else that didn't want to drop at least half a grand on a console that wouldn't have a decent library until almost two years after it's launch.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #51 on: November 25, 2008, 12:18:21 PM

Then he might want to stop complaining.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #52 on: November 25, 2008, 12:25:51 PM

Then he might want to stop complaining.

rolleyes
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #53 on: November 25, 2008, 01:52:36 PM

Thanks to your did-not-buy-one, you are now stuck with shitty BC.

Hi, blame-the-victim. 

I like shelf real-estate, and if a PS3 can't play both PS3 and PS2 games, I'll still be preferring my PS2 for a while (probably at least another year).  I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the fact that Sony couldn't cobble together good compatability and a large library of good games at the same time isn't Jain Zar's fault.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: November 25, 2008, 02:46:52 PM

Don't forget about price.  They HAD to shove in a Blu Ray player as their Trojan Horse.  And that format hasn't exactly set the world on fire.
(What?  Your average schmoe doesn't want to pay 10 dollars more a title to watch a slightly prettier version of a movie?  WHO KNEW?)

So we now have an expensive system with maybe two exclusive games anyone gives a shit about (Little Big Planet and... uhh..  maybe MGS4 if you like watching your videogames and not playing them?) and an overpriced Blu Ray player that many people might injure themselves attempting to get at 6-9am Friday will own for a 100 dollars.

Having nice BC would have meant that outside of my Guncon 2 titles, I could have one machine running 2 system's worth of libraries with a nice big HD storage device instead of tiny memory cards.  (The 2 systems being PS1 and 2.)

I have about 60 PS2 games.  Unlike some people happily willing to drop 50-60 bucks every few weeks for the new hotness to sell back to Gamesuck in a month I like to play and enjoy my games for years to come and have a lady at a shoe sale mentality when it comes to the budget racks where I look for games I missed the first time around or nobody bothered to tell me about Game X since it didn't have fucking EA as a publisher or something.

Even though my sorry miserable ass lives alone in my own paid for house, I only have so much space, and having a half dozen systems hooked up is not only inconvenient, it makes my already so nerdy its a form of birth control home look even worse.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: November 25, 2008, 02:57:47 PM

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: November 25, 2008, 05:12:12 PM

I think what Side means is in general the consumer rejected what Sony offered for whatever reasons.  (Price, features, list of software, desire to own a competing product)
So instead of Sony doing what the consumer wanted, it tried to quickly correct the problem as they saw best, which clearly went the wrong way for many people.

Should we the consumer be blamed for not wanting to pay through the nose for a game system that did not do what we wanted and being upset that their minor price solution was a poor choice?

Because I did not want to pay 500-600 bucks for a system that has about the same game suite as the cheaper 360 I should feel bad?

No.  Its Sony's fault, and removing PS2 BC just made things worse, making the machine LESS attractive to the point I will probably never own one until they are bargain basement machines.
(Or I somehow win the right to buy the Amazon 200 dollar deal this week which is highly dubious.    And if I do?  I sell the machine on ebay then try to get a BC capable machine so I can play LBP, which isn't exactly setting the world on fire, but its so darn cute I would love to play it.  And would then have cause to get Disgaea 3 and the WW2 Sega Braunstein RPG.)

It brings up a good point.  Corporations have gotten to the point of blaming the consumer for their own failures.  This is dumb.  The vast majority of people told Sony from the outset "DO NOT WANT" and they have paid for it by being in last place in the current console generation.  And they are getting beat by the Wii which has one of the WORST software lineups in the history of modern videogaming.  (Well, as long as you don't count Virtual Console anyhow...)  And the 360 which as I have mentioned is the Pinto of game consoles.  A modern day Atari 5200 if you will.  Sony could have lowered prices and taken the early hit.  They did not and they continue to be hesitant to drop the price even while the 360 and Wii blow past them.  When even JAPAN has weeks the 360 sells better you have fucked up royally.  We are talking SNES to N64 levels of fuckup.  Warner Brothers owned era of Atari levels of fuckup here.   Sega levels of fuckup.

Of course me being a Sega fan I sort of enjoy watching the company that finished off Sega leaving it to become a sad shadow of its former self (one that will not bring over the PS2 remakes of Phantasy Star 1 and 2, a tragedy amongst tragedies) taking it in a very painful place.

And its not the back of a Volkswagen Bug.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #57 on: November 25, 2008, 07:05:14 PM

You know what I haven't had in a long time?

Big League Chew.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #58 on: November 26, 2008, 08:09:00 AM

Haha!

Arguing about PS3 BC is silly when you can still buy a PS2.  No, I don't think Sony did the right thing by removing BC from the PS3 but I do understand why they did it.  It sucks.  If my PS3 dies then I'll have to get a PS2 which isn't going to be as nice.  Sony made several mistakes with the PS3 rollout which I'm sure have been rehashed enough.  However, if I had passed on the purchase of the release version of the PS3 and found myself looking at software emulation of PS2 games then I would be pretty sad and angry.  Then I'd go out and buy a new PS2 when my release version PS2 died.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 03, 2008, 07:50:47 PM

ok

Can someone please explain to me how you see active download progress with the new UI?  I can't find it anywhere
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #60 on: December 04, 2008, 04:38:55 AM

Haha!

Arguing about PS3 BC is silly when you can still buy a PS2.  No, I don't think Sony did the right thing by removing BC from the PS3 but I do understand why they did it.  It sucks.  If my PS3 dies then I'll have to get a PS2 which isn't going to be as nice.  Sony made several mistakes with the PS3 rollout which I'm sure have been rehashed enough.  However, if I had passed on the purchase of the release version of the PS3 and found myself looking at software emulation of PS2 games then I would be pretty sad and angry.  Then I'd go out and buy a new PS2 when my release version PS2 died.

Meh to your whole post.

Sony wants to keep BC out of their overpriced BRD-trojan-horse console, I don't buy their console or their software and instead I buy a 360 and MS gets the money from my many, many third party purchases.

I miss out on like 2 games and their sequels - Motorstorm, Uncharted and their sequels. Sony miss out on my money. QED.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 04, 2008, 05:56:45 AM

ok

Can someone please explain to me how you see active download progress with the new UI?  I can't find it anywhere

Guide button to bring up the 'mini blades', then left 2x.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
WayAbvPar

Reply #62 on: December 04, 2008, 01:05:52 PM

Anyone had voice chat/part connectivity issues? I only chat when I play NHL 09. The ingame chat channel used to work about 90% of the time. That is down to about 50%. If I try to use an XBL party or private chat to work around it, that only works 50% of the time. Had a session with Trotski a couple night ago where we both restarted our 360s and STILL couldn't get a fucking chat to work.

Nothing pisses me off more than shitty new features I don't need also break stuff I actually use.  Ohhhhh, I see.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 04, 2008, 04:53:46 PM

Haha!

Meh to your whole post.

Sony wants to keep BC out of their overpriced BRD-trojan-horse console, I don't buy their console or their software and instead I buy a 360 and MS gets the money from my many, many third party purchases.

I miss out on like 2 games and their sequels - Motorstorm, Uncharted and their sequels. Sony miss out on my money. QED.

For me just change the games to Little Big Planet, and Sega's WW2 Braunstein RPG, and maybe Disgaea 3. 
And the latter 2 have no reason to be on the third place system exclusively anyhow.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 05, 2008, 05:57:06 AM

Anyone had voice chat/part connectivity issues? I only chat when I play NHL 09. The ingame chat channel used to work about 90% of the time. That is down to about 50%. If I try to use an XBL party or private chat to work around it, that only works 50% of the time. Had a session with Trotski a couple night ago where we both restarted our 360s and STILL couldn't get a fucking chat to work.

Nothing pisses me off more than shitty new features I don't need also break stuff I actually use.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Do you play anything other than NHL 09?  I always see you that.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 05, 2008, 06:58:36 AM

Do you play anything other than NHL 09?  I always see you that.

I keep thinking about challenging Way to a game, but the amount of time he's put into it pretty much guarantees I get my ass kicked. I'll need a stacked team: WEST ALL-STARS VS. FLORIDA PANTHERS GO

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
WayAbvPar

Reply #66 on: December 05, 2008, 10:10:18 AM

I play BAP online almost exclusively (and I suck at that), so my expertise is pretty shallow. I also play FIFA 09 when NHL is threatening to give me an aneurysm, or when I watch a good soccer match and get all fired up  why so serious?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 10, 2008, 07:26:53 AM

This new UI/GUI/Dashboard is fucking awful.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #68 on: December 10, 2008, 08:11:12 AM

Went to look at the new "premium" themes available for download. It just sits there and stares at me without loading anything...

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 10, 2008, 01:48:43 PM

The more I use NXE the more I hate it.  Visually it looks really nice, but I fail to see how this was an improvement over the old system.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 360 Dashboard Incident  
Jump to: