Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:10:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116242 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #420 on: April 18, 2011, 08:26:04 AM

Having not read the books. Rome, Spartacus, and a number of others were better pilots.  I'm not felling this, seems like some generic fantasy, oh, and rapeings.

The first episode of Spartacus was horrid, if you remember correctly.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #421 on: April 18, 2011, 08:41:23 AM

I thought this looked good. Good opening, managed to help me not get lost with the geography. My only real gripe was that the eye make up guy bits were confusing. I'm not sure what his name is and if he's even the supreme leader of that tribe or whatever. It felt as if sometimes they were talking about him and sometimes someone else. I'd rather watch it when the series is done and I can watch big chunks in one sitting if I want to but I'm always that way.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #422 on: April 18, 2011, 08:48:50 AM

It felt very pilot-y- uneven and strange. Shows have a tendency to improve from their pilots though (see my earlier musings), so I still have hope.

Good-
Others and wights were fucking creepy
Peter Dinklage was pretty good as Tyrion (a massively important character going forward)
The girl playing Arya is good
Show did a decent job of showing the Starks in a warm sympathetic light- they did feel like a family
GOD puppies are cute, even if they are dogs instead of direwolves
Emilia Clarke is gorgeous and spends a lot of time in various stages of undress  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Bad-
Jaime Lannister...ugh. Actor's accent is awful, and he is wooden as a weirwood
I usually like Lena Headey, but she wasn't too good here either
Why was Ned carrying a longsword in the scene when they find the puppies? Is Ice only used for executions? That is not the impression I got from the books, but oh well
Was it just me, or was Benjen Stark's head in constant motion, especially when he was talking to Jon in his first scene? Watch it again- the actor is constantly moving his head up and down. It is incredibly distracting
Episode needed to be 2 hours long to get things up and running- too much being crammed in/thrown at the viewer
Dothraki wedding by the sea- the books make a big deal of how afraid of the 'poison water' the Dothraki are- I doubt they would choose to celebrate there. It was damned pretty though

I will obviously keep watching, but unless some of the actors really pick up the pace and the plot does the opposite, viewers will flee.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: April 18, 2011, 08:53:24 AM

I thought this looked good. Good opening, managed to help me not get lost with the geography. My only real gripe was that the eye make up guy bits were confusing. I'm not sure what his name is and if he's even the supreme leader of that tribe or whatever. It felt as if sometimes they were talking about him and sometimes someone else. I'd rather watch it when the series is done and I can watch big chunks in one sitting if I want to but I'm always that way.

The horse guy? his name is Kal Drogo.  Actually his name is Drogo, Kal is his title.  He is a horse warrior who has never been defeated in battle and thus commands a huge army.

I am the .00000001428%
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #424 on: April 18, 2011, 09:10:52 AM

It was a first episode, so I'll give the pacing and how much they threw at us a bit of a pass. I do hope it actually slows down a bit and focuses more.

I may be in the minority, but I actually like Jaime and the casting for him. Just the right amount of smarm.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #425 on: April 18, 2011, 11:05:42 AM

I also felt Kal Drogo was sort of under done in a way. Also they seemed to downplay a little bit how horsey they where. I will fully second the fact that it should have been 2 hours and explained a few things a bit better.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: April 18, 2011, 11:07:03 AM

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:17:12 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #427 on: April 18, 2011, 11:37:42 AM

You know that guy is also playing Conan in the upcoming remake?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #428 on: April 18, 2011, 11:52:10 AM

I thought he was pretty good, the scenes weren't great because he's meant to have an army of 40,000 warriors with him, plus hangers on, trying to suggest anything like that just isn't worth the effort for the pay off. 

Viewers are going to have a hard enough time just understanding the main Direwolf, Stag & Lion nobles, I think the Dragon's can take a back seat for while, especially as they are across the sea.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: April 18, 2011, 12:32:10 PM

Kal Drogo

The dude from Stargate Atlantis?

Having not read the books. Rome, Spartacus, and a number of others were better pilots.  I'm not felling this, seems like some generic fantasy, oh, and rapeings.

The first episode of Spartacus was horrid, if you remember correctly.

Hoked me more than Generic Fantasy 12537 complete with LOTR Elves getting raped.

Just saying.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:38:16 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #430 on: April 18, 2011, 12:34:35 PM

"White dude" is perhaps a bit of an overstatement, he's half Hawaiian. It isn't like John Wayne playing Ghengis Khan or something.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #431 on: April 18, 2011, 01:08:55 PM

Kal Drogo

The dude from Stargate Atlantis?

I've decided to share my own mental scaring Re: this character wtih everyone since the SGA mention triggered it again. Every time I read the books or saw the character's name I wind-up reading it as "Kal D'argo" and mentally visuallized the character from Farscape. While this made the Dothraki scenes much more exotic it also made the Dany/ Kal sex scenes very disturbing.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #432 on: April 18, 2011, 02:38:10 PM

It was a first episode, so I'll give the pacing and how much they threw at us a bit of a pass. I do hope it actually slows down a bit and focuses more.

I may be in the minority, but I actually like Jaime and the casting for him. Just the right amount of smarm.
Yeah, I'm with you.  I actually thought they translated Jaime better than anybody else as a matter of fact.  Perfect casting, and good acting.

Overall I enjoyed it, though I will agree it could have been better.  Felt a bit meh'ish.  I'm hoping that they'll spend the next episode giving detailed explanations for everybody, and the history leading up to this point.

And Bloodworth, where the hell was this elf raping scene you keep talking about?  I seem to have missed it.....

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #433 on: April 18, 2011, 03:19:20 PM

2nd series seems like a safe bet.
In a latest sign of international success, the premium pay network’s newest show, Game of Thrones, premieres on Sunday, but has already become HBO's best-selling series abroad ever, fetching more than $2.5 million an episode, more than 50% above the international price tag for The Sopranos, the paper said.

Ratings out tomorrow apparently.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: April 18, 2011, 03:56:38 PM

Why was Ned carrying a longsword in the scene when they find the puppies? Is Ice only used for executions? That is not the impression I got from the books, but oh well

I thought that was something they got right, Ice was an executioners sword for Ned. I could be wrong.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: April 18, 2011, 03:56:54 PM

2nd series seems like a safe bet.
In a latest sign of international success, the premium pay network’s newest show, Game of Thrones, premieres on Sunday, but has already become HBO's best-selling series abroad ever, fetching more than $2.5 million an episode, more than 50% above the international price tag for The Sopranos, the paper said.

Ratings out tomorrow apparently.

Ratings for the first 3 or 4 episodes don't matter.  There's a ton of hype and promotion behind the series, and it's a well know property, so you'll have lots of people checking it out.

Midway through will be the clincher, to see if people who aren't familiar with the books hang around or drop the program.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #436 on: April 18, 2011, 04:00:37 PM

I thought that was something they got right, Ice was an executioners sword for Ned. I could be wrong.
Yeah, as I recall the sword was only used ceremonially.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #437 on: April 18, 2011, 04:27:22 PM

Yep, "Ice" has been passed through generations (valyrian steel) as some sort of relic/ceremonial sword.
---

As a reader, I really liked this Pilot, but I understand it must have been quite hard for a neophyte. The actor portraying Jaime, beside the similarities with Shrek's Prince Charming, also bears a resemblance with LOST's Josh Holloway (Sawyer)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
adjunct
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: April 18, 2011, 04:42:06 PM

"White dude" is perhaps a bit of an overstatement, he's half Hawaiian. It isn't like John Wayne playing Ghengis Khan or something.

Or Charlton Heston playing a mexican.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: April 18, 2011, 04:52:53 PM

He looked like all the other horse warriors to me, i don't see what the problem is.

I am the .00000001428%
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #440 on: April 18, 2011, 05:27:12 PM

I knew nothing about Game of Thrones but I watched this 25-minute HBO video before I watched the first episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofPjpBVvEA

I think that video brought me up to speed, so I could enjoy and follow the first episode without any other knowledge. Maybe everyone should watch that first?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: April 18, 2011, 06:13:12 PM

Why do all the men have fairly normal names (Eddard, Jamie) but the women have exotic names?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #442 on: April 18, 2011, 06:51:04 PM

Because they are a nerdy fat man's fantasy women?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #443 on: April 18, 2011, 06:52:55 PM

He looked like all the other horse warriors to me, i don't see what the problem is.

Sharp knees.

-Rasix
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: April 18, 2011, 08:16:20 PM

I'd never heard of the books before so I don't know if it's doing them justice or not but I like it.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: April 18, 2011, 11:50:11 PM

Watched the first episode last night and it was utter tripe from start to finish.

It has 2 episodes to get good, then it gets dumped.  I don't really care how many bare breasts you throw on my screen, I'm a grownup.

It really, really needed to explain itself a little more in ways that could be understood. 

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: April 19, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

I liked Sean Bean in it, but everything else was just "Look, we are edgy. Here is some blood. Here is some implied sibling sex. Look, we are really edgy. Here is some not so implied sibling sex. See you next week."

Maybe it does the books justice. But it seems like a show that lives for shock effects that are frankly not shocking anymore after Rome and Spartacus desensitized everybody. So they better get some good actors and a good story going. I give them the benefit of the doubt though, this is a setup episode afterall. And maybe I am supposed to hate almost every main player. Hell, since doggystyle is all the rage in this world the Horselord is one of the more sympathetic characters (if you accept medieval gender roles for the series). At least he doesn't prattle on all the time.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:24:12 AM by Tebonas »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: April 19, 2011, 01:21:14 AM

My Gimmick is entirely right.  Except for making up the word "desensibilized".

Also, I spent ages trying to figure out who the wee chap from Doctor Who reminded me of.  When he gave the 'hey, I'm driven and whatnot, so it's fine for a multi-pile up horse rape to happen to you, you vacuous wee shite" I finally got it.  They've put Raistlin up on my screen and not even bothered to give him gold skin and freaky eyes...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:26:28 AM by Ironwood »

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #448 on: April 19, 2011, 02:05:54 AM

The show is based on the first in a series of fantasy books, released in 1996, it's an unusual series and reading it you can tell that halfway through the first book.  It doesn't follow "normal " rules and that's a good thing no matter how shock proof you think you are after watching Rome and Spartacus.  

I have no problem with people not liking the tv version but saying it's trying to be edgy with "implied sibling sex" is silly, considering 1, it's not implied at all & 2, it's being true to the book.

Rome and Spartacus probably helped this get made, but those shows didn't spring fully formed into the minds of their creators free of outside influence.

As for why I personally like the story.  I think LoTR worked well because the history of middle earth was applied with a light brush under a compelling story of good versus evil.  GoT has underlying history as well but the battle lines aren't drawn in such simple good/evil terms, I like the extra focus on phrases that are memorable and echo throughout the series adding an extra layer each time.

A minor non spoiler one being "A Lannister Always Pays His Debts".
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:07:41 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: April 19, 2011, 02:11:56 AM

Yes, I'm a naughty gimmick. Serves you right for impersonating a foreigner, though.

Obviously desensibilisiert translates to desensitized. I'm sorry about that.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #450 on: April 19, 2011, 04:18:45 AM

As Johny Cee said the ratings for the first few episodes don't indicate which way this will go but posting them anyway, just so we have a benchmark for later.

Game of Thrones scores Sky Atlantic ratings record
Game of Thrones: Sky Atlantic, 9pm – Fantasy epic Game of Thrones took the crown as Sky Atlantic's most popular show to date for its launch episode on Monday, 18 April.

The big-budget HBO spectacular starring Sean Bean averaged 743,000 viewers between 9pm and 10.10pm, with a peak of 823,000.

It beat the Sky channel's previous highest overnight audience, believed to be the first episode of Martin Scorsese's Boardwalk Empire, which averaged 438,000 on its opening night.

Game of Thrones' audience is likely to be around 50% higher when viewing on timeshifted viewing on Sky+ is taken into account.

Sky Atlantic comes as part of paid for packages with Sky in HD, it's only been going for a few months, the Mrs watches thirtysomething on it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: April 19, 2011, 04:28:27 AM

I liked the dwarf.  He said 'bastard' a lot.  He could have been Scottish.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #452 on: April 19, 2011, 05:03:04 AM

The link Tale put up is well worth a watch Ironwood, it's a good introduction to the characters and they drive the story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofPjpBVvEA
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: April 19, 2011, 06:22:02 AM

I liked Sean Bean in it, but everything else was just "Look, we are edgy. Here is some blood. Here is some implied sibling sex. Look, we are really edgy. Here is some not so implied sibling sex. See you next week."

+ LOTRO Elves, and rapeings.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:26:14 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #454 on: April 19, 2011, 06:41:45 AM

She wasn't raped (although that could have been a lot clearer) and she's not an Elf, if you want to make shit up at least make it funny.

I could have done without the sex scenes on TV but two of them were central to the story & the Tyrion one was a pretty accurate way to introduce him.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: