Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:05:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116132 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #385 on: April 08, 2011, 01:40:52 PM

Not.  Just buy the DVD set if it gets good enough reviews here.  It'll cost you less and there won't be the annoying delays between episodes.  That's my plan at least.

I don't think you will be saving much money...HBO DVDs are notoriously overpriced. If you got it for < $50 I would be surprised, which is about what 3 months of HBO would get you. That also gives you access to their entire On Demand library (at least on Comcast), so you could watch a lot of their other programming. I am still trying to find a WORKING (long story) full series set of The Wire for less than $120 if possible, and that is several years old by now.

Yes, this was kind of my calculation... $48 for 3 months.. a bonus is all the extra HBO stuff .. so yeah, gonna go for it.

Thanks for the opinions in any case.

If your cable company offers InDemand, you can now go back and watch a bunch of other HBO shows there when you are subscribed.
WayAbvPar

Reply #386 on: April 13, 2011, 10:31:29 AM

I have been watching all the little featurettes (to coin a word) available on Comcast On Demand the past week or so; also re-reading the books to get ready for the premiere. It really looks like they nailed it. The EP/writers/showrunners really seem to understand and respect the source material and are committed to doing to justice. Just a few more days now!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #387 on: April 13, 2011, 10:53:25 AM

Not.  Just buy the DVD set if it gets good enough reviews here.  It'll cost you less and there won't be the annoying delays between episodes.  That's my plan at least.

I don't think you will be saving much money...HBO DVDs are notoriously overpriced. If you got it for < $50 I would be surprised, which is about what 3 months of HBO would get you. That also gives you access to their entire On Demand library (at least on Comcast), so you could watch a lot of their other programming. I am still trying to find a WORKING (long story) full series set of The Wire for less than $120 if possible, and that is several years old by now.

Yes, this was kind of my calculation... $48 for 3 months.. a bonus is all the extra HBO stuff .. so yeah, gonna go for it.

Thanks for the opinions in any case.

If your cable company offers InDemand, you can now go back and watch a bunch of other HBO shows there when you are subscribed.

Or you can get a $9 Netflix subscription.   awesome, for real  Even if it's not available on streaming, they'll have the DVDs and you won't have to pay $50 to watch them.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: April 14, 2011, 08:26:06 AM

So I'm getting married the day this airs.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'll have to wait a few until I get to see it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #389 on: April 14, 2011, 11:09:05 AM

HBO will run it 649376397397539573-07 times (a conservative guess) in the next week, so you should probably be able to find it. They are running it 3x consecutively on Sunday alone, FFS.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: April 14, 2011, 11:53:36 AM

So I'm getting married the day this airs.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Why? Does your hotel not have free HBO?    why so serious?
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: April 14, 2011, 12:12:33 PM

Disks are out to the reviews and the first reviews are starting to hit. A fawning one here:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Game-Thrones-Review-Winter-Coming-Series-Premiere-31310.html

I read one other that was negative, although the author admitted from the start he didn't like the genre. Keep your eyes open for more please.

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #392 on: April 14, 2011, 12:18:53 PM

So I'm getting married the day this airs.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Why? Does your hotel not have free HBO?    why so serious?

I read Storm of Swords on honeymoon.
WayAbvPar

Reply #393 on: April 15, 2011, 11:30:22 AM

Disks are out to the reviews and the first reviews are starting to hit. A fawning one here:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Game-Thrones-Review-Winter-Coming-Series-Premiere-31310.html

I read one other that was negative, although the author admitted from the start he didn't like the genre. Keep your eyes open for more please.

If that was the one on Slate, ugh. That guy is a huge tool.

Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: April 15, 2011, 12:03:07 PM

If that was the one on Slate, ugh. That guy is a huge tool.

Yah, thats the one. He actually has about three sentences about the movie. Most of it is about himself.

Edited to add: Ha! Free HBO weekend. I can put it off until I've seen the first one.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:38:41 PM by Nyght »

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: April 15, 2011, 04:11:07 PM

It is tempting to subscribe to HBO just for this.

Also, this made me LOL.

roflcopter

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: April 15, 2011, 05:54:15 PM

I AM AN ATAVISTIC EXAMPLE OF MY SPECIES - NYUAAAARRGGGHRARR.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #397 on: April 16, 2011, 09:35:39 AM

Edited to add: Ha! Free HBO weekend. I can put it off until I've seen the first one.

Bah, lucky. No free HBO weekend here.

As for the price of DVDs vs HBO: I don't watch enough TV to justify $48 for "all the great stuff."  I see HBO on my Guide and it's never got more than a few things I'd want to watch. Those that it does I can also get from Netflix. 

Also, if you buy the DVDs early or at the right places, you can get a great deal on them, particularly the week of release.   Best Buy usually does an early-buyer price and I've got plenty of reward bucks to cash in for more off.  I won't be spending $50 on it.  Hell, even Amazon has Rome for $27 per season now.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: April 16, 2011, 10:31:08 AM

One thing I should mention I guess is, I can't stream. I live in a rural location and my internet is Evdo with a 5 gig cap.

My GF has a netflix account and we get dvds weekly. So yeah, I could wait for that and just get them this fall or whenever they get released.

Still deciding and now I have another week to put the decision off. Life is good.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: April 16, 2011, 03:26:21 PM

Bah, lucky. No free HBO weekend here.

As for the price of DVDs vs HBO: I don't watch enough TV to justify $48 for "all the great stuff."  I see HBO on my Guide and it's never got more than a few things I'd want to watch. Those that it does I can also get from Netflix. 

Also, if you buy the DVDs early or at the right places, you can get a great deal on them, particularly the week of release.   Best Buy usually does an early-buyer price and I've got plenty of reward bucks to cash in for more off.  I won't be spending $50 on it.  Hell, even Amazon has Rome for $27 per season now.

HBO DVDs have come way down in price, mostly.  I've picked up alot of shows I want to re-watch when they hit the $20-30 price from either Target, Best Buy, or Amazon.  That includes Deadwood, Carnivale, Rome, etc.  Gave Entourage a shot when it was like $15/season.  The Wire is usually $30/season, but it occasionally drops below that if you hit the timing right.  The days where HBO could charge $80 a season and people would buy it are dead and gone.

If you're smart and make occasional sweeps for big deals, you can get things when they hit clearance and save big time.  I have a couple of friends that also play DVD bargain hunter, so between us we can swap shows around.

HBO is often in the top tier of TV packages, too... that means shelling out for a bunch of other channels you probably have no interest in watching.  You are pretty much shelling out big money to watch one show as it's aired. 

Best bang for TV buck is really just the "basic" cable package which usually includes stations up to FX and AMC (who are easily THE outlets for quality TV), and wait for other things to hit clearance after you have an idea about quality.

Sopranos was largely HBOs one and only watercooler show, where you HAD to watch it as episodes came out. 
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #400 on: April 16, 2011, 07:23:11 PM

Can't wait  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

On monday morning (CET) I'll immediately download it  Heart

(well, after all, here in Italy no television has picked it up, yet; we'll probably have to wait until september. So, since I would like to watch it along with you guys across the narrow sea pond, and I also like to watch tv shows in native language, that's the only way I can do it).

Oh, by the way: HBO Official Viewers Guide. VERY nice:

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/

A totally stupid review by NY Times' Ginia Bellafante:

http://tv.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/arts/television/game-of-thrones-begins-sunday-on-hbo-review.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Which generated quite a bit of anger and annoyance among fans (of course), women, and Martin himself:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/210874.html
---

Yes folks, apparently anyone who likes fantasy is still ye olde teenage geek living in the basement, rolling dices, roleplaying a dwarf, with the potential of becoming a serial killer when he grows up. The seventies-eighties all over again.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #401 on: April 16, 2011, 09:08:41 PM

The Times has sanitized the review, there are 0 user comments.  why so serious?

Then again, what more do you expect from a reviewer who complains that they have to keep track of more than 5 characters by stating, "Keeping track of the principals alone feels as though it requires the focused memory of someone who can play bridge at a Warren Buffett level of adeptness. "

Perhaps if she played more bridge and watched less TV it wouldn't be so daunting.  Or hell, read a goddamn book once in a while.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: April 17, 2011, 07:38:28 PM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #403 on: April 17, 2011, 08:19:44 PM

I was pretty lost. Lots of exposition goes by really really fast in various forms of accents.  I'm sure it will unfold a bit and I will continue watching but I had to rewind it a bunch to catch stuff and still didn't get all of it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: April 17, 2011, 08:41:06 PM

I get that infodumps are bad, but it wouldn't have hurt to have found a moment for inventing a longer scene with some clever expository dialogue in the middle, a scene between two self-aware characters who don't really interact that way in the book. Tyrion and Benjen Stark, maybe. Or hell, have Eddard start off with a bit of "We're the Starks, we guard the North, but once I went south to fight the Mad King, who killed my sister, and I never want to go south again" or somesuch.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: April 17, 2011, 08:52:19 PM

I was pretty lost. Lots of exposition goes by really really fast in various forms of accents.  I'm sure it will unfold a bit and I will continue watching but I had to rewind it a bunch to catch stuff and still didn't get all of it.

To be fair you'd be just as lost at the start of the book also.  They throw a ton of characters with tons of previous history between them at you with no exposition there either.  The payoff is worth it.

I am the .00000001428%
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: April 17, 2011, 08:59:29 PM

As I was watching, wondered why I hadn't thought previously of how difficult it would be to translate the backstory to video form. I don't know that they succeeded.

Also, I probably in the minority, but the gratuitous T&A is a bit more graphic than in the novel form.

And some of the casting just doesn't jive for me -- Ned,  Daenerys, and most egregious Jaime Lannister. Others OK -- Sansa, Jon Snow, Cersei, Catelyn -- only little Arya and Tyrion and maybe Robert seem to match what I conjured from reading the books (which could be totally baseless, I freely confess ;().

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: April 17, 2011, 10:26:30 PM

Vaguely related but I read the first book then stopped because my Spider Sense told me it was one of those series that was never going to end. I don't really get turning book 1 into a series. The first book basically feels like a prologue, or half a prologue. So it's hard to imagine getting to the end of the TV series and being satisfied, especially when you know that realistically the written series is never going to end and even if it does the chance of it turning into a complete TV series before 2020 is basically zero.

I have it DVR'd but I think I might just delete it. It sounds like the only real fun of it is just the novelty of it existing.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #408 on: April 17, 2011, 10:48:00 PM

Everyone in my Sunday TV group loved it. Was about half and half people who had read the books and people who hadnt.

I kept wanting to stop and explain backstory, but found that the people who hadnt read the books didnt want it, they wanted it to unfold for them.

As far as casting goes, I thought Sean Bean was spot on. The major ones that seemed off to me where Cersei and Jamie Lanester and Rob Stark. I felt that the Lanesters should have been a bit more effeminate. I pictured Jamie being almost "elfin" with a lot more blonde hair, and Rob being a bit more rough, and for some reason I thought he had red hair.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #409 on: April 18, 2011, 02:16:37 AM

All dwarfs are bastards in their father's eyes

Thought it was great I'm also really enjoying seeing the Ulster of Cú Chulainn in the background of this story.

Edit to add.

It was always going to be difficult to translate this to a tv show, Rob Stark didn't stand out to me either but how many strong characters can they introduce in the first episode and not put people off?  Eddard, Robert, Arya, Tyrion & Jaime I thought came across great, Cersei I don't like anyway.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:53:38 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #410 on: April 18, 2011, 04:41:20 AM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: April 18, 2011, 04:46:21 AM

Jaime is supposed to be a pretty boy, golden, gets along easily with everyone, light-hearted--it's with the pushing-out-the-window that you get a very abruptly different sense of what's going on. And then later on, a different sense again as the character gets more complicated.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: April 18, 2011, 06:24:25 AM

The show is going to have to last for years for the prologue to make a lick of sense to anyone who didn't read the books.

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: April 18, 2011, 06:54:47 AM

I was not really impressed.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: April 18, 2011, 07:01:53 AM

I enjoyed it. Not overwhelmed for sure and not sure I will pay to see it as it is released.

I cannot understand how anybody who has not read the books could follow it. Some critical plot points were pass out in a single word of dialogue.

meh   Ohhhhh, I see.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: April 18, 2011, 07:03:52 AM

I liked it, but I think I liked it because I really WANT to like it.

I can't imagine watching it without an understanding of the books. So many characters are thrown at you and last names mentioned in the prologue come back in later books. I'll be interested to watch the Kings Hand tournament as even the small bit players barely mentioned become more important and bigger plot points in later books.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: April 18, 2011, 07:09:04 AM

Having not read the books. Rome, Spartacus, and a number of others were better pilots.  I'm not felling this, seems like some generic fantasy, oh, and rapeings.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #417 on: April 18, 2011, 07:57:29 AM

Having not read the books. Rome, Spartacus, and a number of others were better pilots.  I'm not felling this, seems like some generic fantasy, oh, and rapeings.

If you stick with it, I'd like you to post your feelings after the 6th episode has aired.  It's a dense plot with lots of characters so I'm actually kinda envious of people who haven't read the books.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: April 18, 2011, 07:58:18 AM

Well, if the free HBO is over, I won't be able to get that far.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #419 on: April 18, 2011, 07:59:00 AM

I really liked it.

Strip away all the expectations and hype, and it stands. It's good. I haven't read the books.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: