Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:16:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1108392 times)
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 08:26:56 AM

He has released chapters from the book on a inconstant basis. Kinda hard to rewrite shit that you have already released. Personally i have stopped following the progress it brings Robert Jordon flashbacks. I will never do that again.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #36 on: April 24, 2009, 08:29:33 AM

I listened to an audio book of him reading many of his short stories and telling stories of his own life, both personal and professional. To be honest, considering he's pretty much sexually incontinent and a raging hippy, I'm amazed he managed to write the Game of Thrones novels thusfar, but I'm not surprised he's dragging his feet with the remainder. He's probably bored to death of the entire thing.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 24, 2009, 09:16:20 AM

He has released chapters from the book on a inconstant basis. Kinda hard to rewrite shit that you have already released.

The story went from "mostly written" to "50% written" to Martin is rewriting some more....  oh, and some character POVs are being cut to go into the book after Dance.

This is from Pat's Fantasy Hotlist, where the blogger interviewed an editor at Random House in July of 2007:  http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2007/07/nyc-recap-and-that-little-grrm-tidbit.html

Many fans have been wondering why it should take this long for the author to write this new book, what with 50% of it having been completed already. Rumors have been circulating that GRRM did scrap some portions of what he had when they decided to publish AFfC in its current format. Well, unfortunately that's not hearsay. It appears that GRRM did cut some chunks out of the original manuscript and has been tinkering with a few things. Hence, he didn't truly have 50% of it done with and ready to go. Which explains the slower than expected progress for A Dance with Dragons.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 24, 2009, 09:31:03 AM

Which i don't really believe as a cause for the delay. I would attribute him writing the prequel novels and all the other bullshit as far more a factor in the 5 year delay (or however long it has been). No way all that side stuff is not directly extending the lag.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 11:27:37 AM

I listened to an audio book of him reading many of his short stories and telling stories of his own life, both personal and professional. To be honest, considering he's pretty much sexually incontinent and a raging hippy, I'm amazed he managed to write the Game of Thrones novels thusfar, but I'm not surprised he's dragging his feet with the remainder. He's probably bored to death of the entire thing.

That seems to fit most with what I've read about him from the few trips to his blog.  One of the problems with setting out to write an epic series, I imagine. Everyone wants you to write only that series and finish it out long, long after you're bored of it.   Most fantasy novelists would be better served planning & writing 3-4 novels, then returning as the mood struck them instead of thinking "Ohh, I've got this EPIC idea for a 7 novel series!"

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 12:03:58 PM

I believe ASoIAF was supposed to only be 3 books originally but i could be mistaken.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 12:15:04 PM

He has released chapters from the book on a inconstant basis. Kinda hard to rewrite shit that you have already released.
So he's somehow beholden to release the chapters in the book the same way he pre-released them? They'll come out in whatever form their in when he sends them to the publisher, who cares what the pre-release stuff is? It'll show up in some later novel as bonus content or something. Look at Elric, ffs.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 12:21:15 PM

Beholden to do so? No, but it shows that a substantial amount of the work was fit to be shown to the public 3+ years ago. Not familiar with Elric. Elric the white wolf guy?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 24, 2009, 01:15:19 PM

Entire books rewritten after they'd been released.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #44 on: April 24, 2009, 02:29:24 PM

HBO doesn't really make a habit out of canceling.. They're not Fox or anything.

The troubling cancelation I'd be looking at here is Rome.  Rome cost a ton.  I imagine this show won't be cheap due to the set, costume, and staffing costs (lot of extras for battles).  They may end up just balking at the cost after a while. 

However, I imagine HBO is really looking for a flagship, standout show at the moment.  All they really have is Entourage, Big Love, and the new No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.  Crap, polygamy and African girl power.  awesome, for real They have a worse line up than AMC.   

This all makes me want to re-read the books. I'll try to hold out until it's closer to the next book is released.

edit: Forgot True Blood.  Good show.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:32:31 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 24, 2009, 03:07:28 PM

Rome and Carnivale canceled for the same reasons. Insanely expensive to produce. True Blood is a good show. But good lord i tried to read the novels and they are especially bad.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #46 on: April 24, 2009, 04:15:09 PM

Unfortunately, Rome is also the closest comp for how the show will be directed, set, and wardrobed, since it's got the same epic royal melee with swords thing going on.

That means it'll be fantastic, expensive, and short.  And one of the main actors will get a role on Gray's Anatomy.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #47 on: April 25, 2009, 07:27:34 PM

And the other one will end up being the 5th actor to portray the Punisher?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #48 on: April 25, 2009, 10:33:04 PM

Rome was a joint BBC production, I think. Or something British. Not entirely up to HBO. Also, the source material didn't lend itself to much more than what they did... Unless you wanted to completely change the cast or something and fast forward almost 100 years. After Octavian got rid of Antony and sealed his position, there wasn't much drama in Roman history (boredom is a byproduct of "Pax Romana"), or even in Tiberius' reign until Caligula came along. So at least a Game of Thrones television series has a wealth of source material to play with.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 10:36:09 PM by stray »
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 06, 2009, 05:58:45 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 06, 2009, 06:26:17 AM

Ooh, he's an angry elf.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 06, 2009, 10:10:16 AM

WayAbvPar

Reply #52 on: May 06, 2009, 12:36:40 PM

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 02, 2009, 05:56:21 AM

More casting.   Piper is Catelyn.     why so serious?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001061/
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #54 on: June 02, 2009, 07:13:24 AM

Ugh, I hate everything she does. Nice casting assholes. You picked a brown-eyed brunette to play a blue-eyed redhead.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 02, 2009, 07:18:19 AM

My prediction that this series is going to be shit just became a bit more solid.

On a semi-related note... finish the next book, you procrastinating asshole.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 02, 2009, 07:28:46 AM

Ugh, I hate everything she does. Nice casting assholes. You picked a brown-eyed brunette to play a blue-eyed redhead blonde.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #57 on: June 02, 2009, 08:49:08 AM

Auburn hair is not blonde.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 02, 2009, 08:57:44 AM

Sorry, I was thinking of Cersei, I forgot Catelyn was ever a major enough character to be worth bitching about.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #59 on: June 02, 2009, 09:02:55 AM

Sorry, I was thinking of Cersei, I forgot Catelyn was ever a major enough character to be worth bitching about.

Heh, being possibly the biggest dupe in the entire series is noteworthy.

-Rasix
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #60 on: June 02, 2009, 09:05:33 AM

Fucker - you had me thinking they had cast Piper Perabo.

Holly the Angsty Witch? Meh.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #61 on: June 02, 2009, 11:20:12 AM

Piper the Ugly Witch. Not a fan.

I have never played WoW.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #62 on: June 02, 2009, 11:28:04 AM

Maybe slightly young to play Catelyn, given that they're aging the kids some.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 02, 2009, 02:08:22 PM

Unfortunately, Rome is also the closest comp for how the show will be directed, set, and wardrobed, since it's got the same epic royal melee with swords thing going on.

That means it'll be fantastic, expensive, and short.  And one of the main actors will get a role on Gray's Anatomy.

The guy that played Anthony is starring in a film adaption of Solomon Kane.  Fuck yes.
WayAbvPar

Reply #64 on: June 03, 2009, 11:56:17 AM

Ugh, I hate everything she does. Nice casting assholes. You picked a brown-eyed brunette to play a blue-eyed redhead.

Especially since a recurring theme in the books is how children of different mothers or fathers look quite distinct.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #65 on: June 03, 2009, 12:08:39 PM

Yes the identifiable bastard theme runs through the novels in a lot of places.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 08, 2009, 06:13:25 AM

George or a fan has found the south park character generator

http://grrm.livejournal.com/90493.html

House Stark

The rest on site

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #67 on: June 08, 2009, 08:44:06 PM

I had no idea Rome was canceled; I thought the ending was fine. Where else could they have gone?

Also, BOOOO on the casting of the ugly witch from Charmed.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #68 on: June 08, 2009, 10:06:29 PM

Not only was she the ugly one, she was the most annoying one on top of that. I mean come on!

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 08, 2009, 10:10:22 PM

Rome had its third season cancelled before the filming of season 2 had started. Thus it got a tidy ending.

Quote from: Bruno Heller
I discovered halfway through writing the second season the show was going to end. The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the messiah in Palestine. But because we got the heads-up that the second season would be it, I telescoped the third and fourth season into the second one, which accounts for the blazing speed we go through history near the end. There's certainly more than enough history to go around.

Completely unlike, say, Deadwood. HBO you cunts.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: