Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:09:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1108428 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: November 14, 2008, 07:32:29 AM

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:04:11 PM by schild »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 07:45:41 AM

I think it would be hard to do, but I used to say that no one would ever make a workeable live-action Lord of the Rings, so anything is possible. I think the trick here would be to figure out how to make this look more visually like Ridley Scott's Crusades movie but retain the narrative pop of the Martin. The effects have to NOT be the house-style at WETA or any imitation thereof--you've got to visually reinforce the grittier style and milieu while not just making it a medieval costume-drama, you've got to retain the fantasy elements while giving them a different visual feel and place.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 07:54:33 AM

I think the most critical thing is the casting. The douche who plays Henry in the Tutors (and also the crappy Anne) ruin it for me completely, despite the great Katherine and cardinal. Martin has such vivid characters that a great actor could really tear into it and have a Swearengen-style run of amazing performances. So much fodder for good actors that could be utterly ruined by poor casting choices.

I don't remember there being much fantastical about it other than some settings. HBO has already shown they can do settings and costuming extremely well.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 09:07:06 AM

I don't remember there being much fantastical about it other than some settings. HBO has already shown they can do settings and costuming extremely well.

The first two books, no, not so much.  However, as winter approaches there is more and more fantastic stuff that's getting incorporated.  From Bran's shape-shifting/ dream talking to the savages beyond the wall with their Mammoths and Giants to the Priestess that has Stannos under her swap and Daenery's dragons. 

The next book looks to include even MORE fantasy/ magic as it's going to focus more on the Eastern lands, where magic doesn't seem to have gone away like it did in Westeros.

As soon as I saw this topic I was like "No way they can do this justice.  Martin is so out there on some things with the sex and the violence and the incest that there's no way it'd ever make it to broadcast TV."  Of course, I'd discounted HBO.  Yeah, I think they could pull it off incredibly well. Fuck, I'd even subscribe for it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 09:08:22 AM

I think the most critical thing is the casting. The douche who plays Henry in the Tutors (and also the crappy Anne) ruin it for me completely, despite the great Katherine and cardinal. Martin has such vivid characters that a great actor could really tear into it and have a Swearengen-style run of amazing performances. So much fodder for good actors that could be utterly ruined by poor casting choices.

Er...the various rezzes?  Renly's little encounter?  Admittedly, the magic angles have been subtle, but I've also heard that it will start coming faster in the next couple books.  

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 09:30:26 AM

Er...the various rezzes?  Renly's little encounter?  Admittedly, the magic angles have been subtle, but I've also heard that it will start coming faster in the next couple books.  

Which I expect my grandchildren will enjoy reading when they get published.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 09:38:11 AM

MASSIVE FANBOY ERECTION.

That was all, ladies and gentlemen.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 12:13:11 PM

So is it going to be like 5 years between each episode?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 01:16:15 PM

I think the most critical thing is the casting. The douche who plays Henry in the Tutors (and also the crappy Anne) ruin it for me completely, despite the great Katherine and cardinal.

I don't know anything about Martin, but Rhys-Myers is not a douche! The guy's generally good. I don't get that.. There's a lot of praise for that show (and him). No, he's not the old fat cantankerous Henry VIII, but before his injury, he was considered to be a young, handsome guy. Therefore they cast it that way.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 11:56:06 AM

Fap fap fap  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

-----

Now, the two producers (David Benioff and Dan Weiss, I think) made an appearance on this forum and wrote:

Ages of younger characters: For practical reasons, we're going to have to age some of the kids up a bit. A lot of it has to do with reasons you guys have mentioned; also, there are limits to the amount of time you can shoot with minors.

Now, I never watched the Sopranos or any other HBO show, but I understand they are not always equipping the Axe of Censorship +5 vs. Filmakers. Let's hope this is going to be the case for "Game of Thrones" as well...

I can understand the decision of upping the age of some characters: oh well, that means Arya, Sansa and Dany will be hot from the start  why so serious?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 03:23:27 PM

If this was anyone but HBO, I'd say it was sent to die. But as it stands, awesome.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 03:55:12 AM

I'm going to pretend I think this will be bad until it releases and proves me wrong by being awesome.
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 01:05:10 AM

... So let's all hope the pilot will kick serious ass.

It should. David Benioff and Dan Weiss did a terrific job with the script. And yes, all of you can relax, it's very faithful. Dan and David will be the executive producers for the pilot and (we hope) the eventual series.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

I'm torn between  ACK! and DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 07:29:48 AM

The not-blog makes me want to start painting miniatures again.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 03:46:53 PM

Ugh.  The blog reminds me that GRR is still writing Wild Cards books.  KNOCK IT THE FUCK OFF AND MAKE GoT AWESOME AGAIN, plzk.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 03:45:18 PM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 04:23:03 PM

The casting of Tyrion Lannister and Jon Snow will make it or break it for me.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 04:40:14 PM

Tyrion will have to be special effects and makeup.  There's no fucking way you just stumble onto an actor with Tyrion's proportions that can pull off that character.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 05:05:02 PM

Tyrion will have to be special effects and makeup.  There's no fucking way you just stumble onto an actor with Tyrion's proportions that can pull off that character.

You never know. Some of the little people in SAG might be Olivier caliber actors but the dearth of parts written for them prevents you from ever seeing it. 

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 05:18:45 PM

If there were he would have taken Warwick Davis' job.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 04:58:43 AM

One thing to note about the wildcards stuff he does write some stuff for them but mostly he is the editor they are compliation novels for the most part and while he is the cat wrangler he does not do the majority of the writing in most of them.

But yes please work on game of thrones faster george if you die before you finish the series I swear to god I will perform an unholy rite to raise you from the fucking dead to finish them.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 05:42:31 AM

What I've seen going around so far is Peter Dinklage is in talks to be Tyrion.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 06:50:57 PM

Glad to see A Game of Thrones is still moving forward:

http://www.airlockalpha.com/news426283.html

A HBO pilot of author George R.R. Martin's fantasy novel "A Game Of Thrones" is set to begin filming in Northern Ireland this October.

Martin announced the development in a LiveJournel post Tuesday following the news breaking on Northern Ireland's government Web site.

"Yes, I'm thrilled. Ireland should be a great place to film," Martin said. "And the facility we'll be using, the Paint Hall, is amazing as well. Before it was a film studio, the Paint Hall was part of Belfast's famous Harland & Wolff Shipyards, where the Titanic and many other ships were constructed. The facility is pretty titanic as well. Of course, all of us connected with 'A Game Of Thrones' are hoping we'll fare somewhat better on our own maiden voyage."

"A Game Of Thrones" follows a tragic struggle between several royal families for control of Westeros, a land similar to England during the Wars of the Roses. Other threats bear down on its population, including a supernatural invasion from the icy north, an exiled dragon queen seeking to reclaim her family's dynasty, and a winter that will last for years.

Behind these events, dangerous men and women embrace treachery in a bid to secure ultimate power.

After its 1996 debut, "A Game Of Thrones" won the Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel and captured nominations for the Nebula and World Fantasy awards. More awards followed for subsequent books in the series.

Seven novels are planned, with the fifth volume, "A Dance With Dragons," scheduled for release later this year.

The series' location scouting included sites in Spain and the Czech Republic, but ultimately Northern Ireland pushed hard to secure the HBO deal.

"HBO has been responsible for some of the most dynamic and successful TV series ever broadcast, and we are absolutely delighted to welcome the HBO team here," said Richard Williams, chief executive officer of Northern Ireland Screen, which coordinated production finance for the pilot. "We are really looking forward to working with them on such an exciting project. This is a real coup for Northern Ireland and further cements our reputation as a leading centre for film and television production ..."

"There's lots of other exciting news on the pilot as well, but nothing I can share," Martin said. "Sorry, lips are sealed. You'll have to wait for Mr. Benioff and Mr. Weiss ... and HBO."

Martin indicated in past posts that the show would span a novel's worth of material per season. If renewed, the second season would cover the events of "A Clash Of Kings."

David Benioff ("Troy," "The Kite Runner") and D.B. Weiss will write and executive produce. Martin, a television writing veteran ("Beauty and the Beast," "The Twilight Zone"), plans to co-executive produce and write at least one episode.

most often known as Drevik
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 09:44:42 PM

Glad to see A Game of Thrones is still moving forward:

I'm not. It's gonna be fucking terrible.

And I'm not just trying to shit on every ones parade, I want a TV series to do epic fantasy well, but it's just not gonna happen.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:58:42 PM by FatuousTwat »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 09:50:40 PM

i've never finished the first book, but "hear" they are quite good.  awesome, for real

i just can't get into most fantasy stuff when i'm reading, i guess. i like some of it once it's cinematic though. not all, but some. so they're doing people like me a favor here.

anyhow, it's lame to shit on parades that don't even exist yet.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 09:54:29 PM

The first book is pretty much completely void of any fantastical elements. While i think it will be hard to pull off if anyone can do it HBO can. They have earned a degree of trust. Of course they will cancel the series in the middle of the 2nd book. Still pissed about Carnivale.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 09:56:39 PM

I expect it will suck too.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 09:57:45 PM

Ugh, same. That show was great. I still can't believe the bullshit they pulled when they said they thought the show had some to a good conclusion... Yeah on a fucking cliffhanger.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 10:05:57 PM

HBO doesn't really make a habit out of canceling.. They're not Fox or anything. Just some shows were unfortunately less popular than they should have been. But they've got a lot of shows that were like 5 seasons or more.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 12:05:49 AM

They need to tell Martin he's not allowed to play with any TV projects for the series until he gets his lazy ass in gear and FINISHES THE FUCKING SERIES.

Seriously, if he keeps writing at the pace he's going, he's going to be dead loooooooong before any conclusion.  It will be much worst than Robert Jordan.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 05:10:25 AM

They need to tell Martin he's not allowed to play with any TV projects for the series until he gets his lazy ass in gear and FINISHES THE FUCKING SERIES.

Seriously, if he keeps writing at the pace he's going, he's going to be dead loooooooong before any conclusion.  It will be much worst than Robert Jordan.

I completely agree with this.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 05:21:45 AM

I also have to agree.  I wish he'd quit dicking around with all that other stuff he's writing and at least just finish A Dance of Dragons.  He's been all but done with it for over a year.  WTF mate?

most often known as Drevik
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 06:05:47 AM

Longer than that,  Dance of dragons is the 2nd half of the last book.  His publisher had him split them up when he was writing Feast for Crows because it was already too long a tome to bind.  he's fleshed a bit more out and added some, but my understanding was the majority was written 3 years ago.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 08:14:50 AM

Yeah, he read the first chapter to us at Comicon 3 years ago....

I have no idea WTF he's doing.  Maybe he's been secretly writting the next three novels all this time, and is just going to suprise us by announcing them all at once!

awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 08:17:01 AM

Longer than that,  Dance of dragons is the 2nd half of the last book.  His publisher had him split them up when he was writing Feast for Crows because it was already too long a tome to bind.  he's fleshed a bit more out and added some, but my understanding was the majority was written 3 years ago.

Not really.  

It's been reported in a few places that after the books were split up,  Martin junked or rewrote virtually all of the surviving material that was supposed to be Dance.  The "already mostly written" story was put out there either by Martin or his publisher,  and is one of the reasons you can find increasingly angry Martin fans grumbling on message boards about the delays in publicaion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: