Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1108442 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5320 on: August 07, 2017, 01:10:27 PM

That was great.

Arya/Brienne was the best scene either of them have had in years - loving the s1 water-dancing throwbacks. Littlefinger managed to exude both fear that he doesn't understand shit - and threat that he might do something extreme because of it.

The battle worked for exactly the reasons last week didn't. It even made me think Bronn might die for first time in 7 years.

I don't think they did say the gold had arrived at KL. Tycho said he was very happy they would be paid back in one installment, and later said his offer of further investment was conditional on the gold from the Reach being delivered. I took all that to mean that it was inevitable, one way or another, that the gold was not going to arrive.

Quote from: Tyrion
Fucking idiot

This was also pretty great.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:12:33 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5321 on: August 07, 2017, 01:11:19 PM

No, I think Lord Tarly specifically said the gold had arrived in King's Landing.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5322 on: August 07, 2017, 01:15:30 PM

Rewinding - I see he did indeed say that and that the food was still at risk.

Which also makes for a story so cool.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5323 on: August 07, 2017, 01:41:59 PM

This is a fun "making-of-the-battle-scene" feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE2wcBeyNdk
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5324 on: August 07, 2017, 02:18:50 PM

That was up there with the best episodes in the whole series. Guessed from before the battle that Jamie would be a prisoner again.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5325 on: August 07, 2017, 02:42:02 PM

http://imgur.com/a/TWGgF

"Why's Varys doing a double Napoleon?"
"Well, Napoleon only lost big once."

OH shit this is just so good. The guy's got a gift.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #5326 on: August 07, 2017, 02:49:46 PM

"You went to an all boy's school didn't you?" lol
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #5327 on: August 07, 2017, 02:53:45 PM

http://imgur.com/a/TWGgF

"Why's Varys doing a double Napoleon?"
"Well, Napoleon only lost big once."

OH shit this is just so good. The guy's got a gift.
"Worst Burning Man, ever."

--Signature Unclear
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #5328 on: August 07, 2017, 02:55:32 PM

It's interesting, having just finished an episode of Hardcore History, where Dan Carlin was talking about how devastating a full-horseback cavalry charge was in the time of Genghis Khan (I feel like the Dothraki were probably modeled after them), and how many a Russian or European army was crushed before thousands of mounted cavalry moving at 30+km/hr.  There was no shield wall that could ever withstand that kind of attack, so it was probably pretty accurate to have men holding the line shitting themselves before such a sight.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5329 on: August 07, 2017, 04:45:04 PM

Btw that episode is even more fun if you imagine one of those Lannister soldiers being roasted is Ed Sheeran.

'why does this always happen to me in caves'
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:51:18 PM by Shannow »

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5330 on: August 07, 2017, 05:24:01 PM

Dothraki are definitely intended by Martin to be steppe warriors like the Mongols or the Turks. And yeah, they generally did mow down shield walls (or just go around them in the flat terrains where they really excelled).
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5331 on: August 07, 2017, 08:43:21 PM

This is a fun "making-of-the-battle-scene" feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE2wcBeyNdk

As I was watching it I was amazed at the burn effects and thought maybe they composited some of that together. Doing a 20 man burn is nuts.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #5332 on: August 07, 2017, 10:28:13 PM

More Bronn.  Team Tits&Dragons is on a rampage (should've been able to draft dragons too).
schild
Administrator

Reply #5333 on: August 07, 2017, 10:40:38 PM

Well the dragons are certainly better than fucking Koner. Stupid ass guard who is surely going to die.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5334 on: August 08, 2017, 12:03:09 AM

Did no one else catch Davos correcting Jon Snow with a mumbled "fewer" like when Stannis corrected him a few years ago?  So great.  That whole episode was great. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5335 on: August 08, 2017, 12:30:01 AM

There are dozens of little ticks referencing prior episodes and dead characters in this one. Main theme of 'Spoils of War' being shit people have learned from their experience. They had a strong fan service game.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #5336 on: August 08, 2017, 04:08:52 AM

Daenerys is a psycho and I hope the Lannisters win.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5337 on: August 08, 2017, 04:19:40 AM

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS so what does that make Cersei?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5338 on: August 08, 2017, 04:23:49 AM

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5339 on: August 08, 2017, 05:32:46 AM

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS so what does that make Cersei?

A sociopath.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5340 on: August 08, 2017, 08:22:39 AM

Did no one else catch Davos correcting Jon Snow with a mumbled "fewer" like when Stannis corrected him a few years ago?  So great.  That whole episode was great. 

Stannis wasn't even correcting him, he just mumbled it while one of the nightswatch was talking. For Davos to have picked it up means he probably did it constantly, which is the most Stannis thing ever.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5341 on: August 08, 2017, 08:27:08 AM

Stannis certainly corrected somebody about "Ser Jaime Lannister the Kingslayer" although I'm not sure if it was Davos (or even if that scene made it to the TV show).

Edit: He did correct Davos directly with "fewer" when talking about his cut-off fingers.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:30:16 AM by Rendakor »

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5342 on: August 08, 2017, 01:46:02 PM

Arya at the gate was the best callback.

(to the red keep scene)

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5343 on: August 08, 2017, 02:27:07 PM

Dani doesn't want to be hated for burning the Red Keep - but she just incinerated a wagonline of food headed towards King's Landing right before a winter everyone is expecting to be legendary.... 

Yes, that food wasn't going to go to the common folk, but they'll still be pissed that food was destroyed as now other food is going to be repurposed for the soldiers and the peasants will get even less.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5344 on: August 08, 2017, 02:53:44 PM

Well, won't they be pissed that it was stolen by Cersei from the Reach, where it was safely stored for the good of the entire realm? For what we know, the Reach pretty much supplies all the other kingdoms with food in a long winter...
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5345 on: August 08, 2017, 05:09:03 PM

Destroying the food so that it can't even be fought over or stolen trumps.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5346 on: August 08, 2017, 06:39:07 PM

A lot depends on what's being said on Twitter in King's Landing.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #5347 on: August 08, 2017, 07:50:59 PM

I'm sure the King's Landing facebook group is literally scathing her in overblown hyperbole.  Fuck, it broke the 4th wall and god damn Nynaeve is tugging on her fucking braid again.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5348 on: August 08, 2017, 08:04:25 PM

Pretty sure the point of any siege is to starve the people inside the castle out. So destroying the food supplies going to a castle that might be under siege soon is Medieval Strategy 101.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5349 on: August 08, 2017, 09:43:08 PM

I know it's all Fantasy but the sight of light Calvary just walking through a spear wall followed by horses being invulnerable to Dragon fire made be dislike the series, despite not watching much beyond the battle (and seeing a smallsword being able to block a 4 foot long 2 handed sword became it's a smallsword of momentum stopping or something).

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #5350 on: August 08, 2017, 11:35:39 PM

I know it's all Fantasy but the sight of light Calvary just walking through a spear wall followed by horses being invulnerable to Dragon fire made be dislike the series, despite not watching much beyond the battle (and seeing a smallsword being able to block a 4 foot long 2 handed sword became it's a smallsword of momentum stopping or something).

You mean cavalry, not Calvary. And Arya is fighting using Braavosi water dancer style, as taught to her by Syrio Forel. It's not so much blocking as a form of movement that counters the opponent's weight and strength. Syrio was able to do the same to Lannister soldiers with a wooden sword.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5351 on: August 09, 2017, 03:59:46 AM

On arya there are several points in the duel where water dancing or not,  needle should have broken. There was a lot of blocking in place of parrying. I give it a huge pass because it was pretty to watch, made thematic sense, used the TV for something the books can't do, and Maisie Williams is still doing it all left handed.

Also every single character's expression in the scene is brilliant.

I don't think there has been a 1 on 1 fight I've enjoyed more in GoT. 

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5352 on: August 09, 2017, 04:15:47 AM

The dragon blew a giant hole through the spear wall, and then a massive horde of horses rode right through the hole.  When the line is pierced by cavalry like that, pretty much everybody in a spear wall dies at that point.  I was actually annoyed they drew the battle out so long and showed as many Dothraki dying as they did.  Lannisters should have been wiped out far quicker after that event.

Also, it doesn't matter who burned the food.  The peasants in Kingslanding will have none, and they'll blame it on Cersei.  Because she's in charge and she's not feeding them.  Or at least, that's how it would work out in reality.  Also in reality, the people should be rioting after she blew up their most holy temple, along with the man they supported because he was actually feeding and caring for them.  Like, the High Sparrow had more power than the crown entirely because the whole population liked him so much better than the crown.  Funny how they all abruptly forgot that in between seasons, and are taking it all in stride....

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5353 on: August 09, 2017, 04:33:48 AM

Fuck I'm still annoyed that every movie ever has never showed a proper cavalry charge. You don't gallop for a mile and hit the wall piecemeal. You advance as a line and only reach top speed for the last 100 yards..Doesn't exhaust your horses and you hit as one, much more powerful. 
Frankly after the huge flying fire breathing lizard had torched 40 soldiers in one pass the whole Lannister line should've said 'Nope' and fled for their lives (I love the shot of that guy literally quaking in his boots).

If we're gonna get all nitpicking on things..

Btw should Bronn be dead?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5354 on: August 09, 2017, 05:04:39 AM

Bronn is such a great character, I will give them a little leeway in finding ways to keep him alive.  Kinda like the Hound.  I also assumed that leaving the bag of gold meant he was going to live.

Just to nitpick, I was thinking that the whole point of the cavalry charge was to line up the spear wall...and then have Drogon come out of nowhere and go down the line laterally.  I thought it was weird she chose to fly him through the line instead, when they had the all in a ripe position like that....could have burned way more in the first pass.  But oh well, they got back to it later (which is probably also why the dragon lined up so nicely for Bronn...it was literally following the line at that point as far as I remember).

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: