Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:50:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116262 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3290 on: July 29, 2014, 07:45:37 AM

If they don't introduce the Iron Islands then we know that entire thread is useless in the books, and the drama of their rush to the Eastern kingdoms is equally useless in the same vein as Prince Meltsalot of Dorne.  TV show spoiling the book once more but in a really significant way.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3291 on: July 29, 2014, 07:54:57 AM

Look back--in the books so far, are there people you thought would be important who weren't? Yes. Are there plotlines that more or less just end in something awful and pointless, because Martin wants to suggest that sometimes that's what happens, except in epic fantasies where every destiny is fulfilled? Yes. Are there plots and characters that the show has paradoxically made more important or interesting because they've decided not to create Yet Another Character and just re-used one who was already there? Oh my yes.

So calm down.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3292 on: July 29, 2014, 08:18:57 AM

The only plot that would really bother me if it was cut would be lady stoneheart, and so far it looks like it might be out.

I am the .00000001428%
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #3293 on: July 30, 2014, 01:55:12 PM

Or they are keeping quiet on it to as a shock factor for viewers

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3294 on: July 30, 2014, 02:45:25 PM

Too late for that, thanks to this thread.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3295 on: July 30, 2014, 02:56:56 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3296 on: July 30, 2014, 11:34:07 PM

If they don't introduce the Iron Islands then we know that entire thread is useless in the books, and the drama of their rush to the Eastern kingdoms is equally useless in the same vein as Prince Meltsalot of Dorne.  TV show spoiling the book once more but in a really significant way.

Not so much, they don't need the kingsmoot for obvious reasons, and if they skip that, the existing iron born characters and easily do the things that the new cast would have done. Or the new characters could show up in season 6 - since I can't think of anything that has to happen straight away.

Or Victaron could just show up where he is the books at the end of dance, and you could cover it with 40 seconds of dialog.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:56:42 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3297 on: August 09, 2014, 04:15:39 PM

Random aside. Sean Bean just sang, "I will survive" to me at the Ritz Carlton.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3298 on: August 09, 2014, 08:06:06 PM

That's a terribly ironic song choice and I'm quite jealous assuming his voice isn't nails on chalkboard bad.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3299 on: August 10, 2014, 10:12:19 AM

It was in reference to his new show, Legends and the hashtag the studio's been pushing, #dontkillseanbean.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3300 on: August 11, 2014, 03:01:11 PM

It has always seemed that the storyline is building the winning team for humanity's winter stand against the white walkers.

Anyone who is dropped for the moment can be brought back. Yara Greyjoy can turn up to someone's aid with an Iron Islands army. Lady Stoneheart can turn up at any convenient point.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3301 on: August 15, 2014, 09:39:22 AM

Just you, or an audience?  Pretty cool either way, but the former is jealousy territory.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3302 on: August 15, 2014, 10:26:00 AM

Martin has said, by the way, that at least some fans have guessed fairly accurately what his outline for the series conclusion says.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3303 on: August 15, 2014, 11:48:25 AM

Just you, or an audience?  Pretty cool either way, but the former is jealousy territory.

Just me. He sat next to me at the bar. I was commenting on the hashtag and told him that he needed to make clear in his contract that if they killed him it had to be with something on par with a nuke.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #3304 on: August 18, 2014, 03:49:28 AM

Martin has said, by the way, that at least some fans have guessed fairly accurately what his outline for the series conclusion says.

Sounds like the million monkeys finally bashed out a bit of Hamlet

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3305 on: August 18, 2014, 07:29:20 AM

I had the exact same reaction when I heard about it.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3306 on: August 21, 2014, 07:19:01 AM

Also he was talking things that aren't that hard to predict given 10 years to think about it.

Jon Snow's parentage for instance. I'm fairly sure that 90% of the monkeys have that right.

If you re-read GoT one thing that really stands out is how direct and unsubtle the prophecies are. They get a little more open to misinterpretation as the series goes on.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3307 on: August 21, 2014, 09:34:46 AM

They are direct and unsubtle after the fact though.

I am the .00000001428%
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #3308 on: August 26, 2014, 01:55:24 AM

*redacted*
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:12:02 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #3309 on: August 27, 2014, 01:18:22 AM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3310 on: August 27, 2014, 01:49:54 AM

Did Snape kill Dumbledore or something?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3311 on: September 02, 2014, 01:32:05 PM

If I had to guess:

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3312 on: September 02, 2014, 01:39:30 PM

Ice and Fire were always obvious. The third head eluded me until I read the theory then it was, "Oh, DUH."

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3313 on: September 02, 2014, 06:49:10 PM

I saw a really interesting thread at Reddit where the guy said, "Look, Martin has said he doesn't like one-dimensional EEEVIL races, so he's not going to make the White Walkers into motiveless zombies who just want to kill the living." Then he goes from there and offers a really ingenious reading of the Night's King story and some other stuff. The general conclusions he comes to strike me as pretty sound--and they don't lead to a simple, "Fire beats Ice with lots of dragons", and they also lead to a rather different reading of Jon Snow's future and the fate of the Starks. And not a simple defeat for the White Walkers either.

It struck me that he might be the guy Martin is thinking about when he says a few people have guessed most of the important stuff.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #3314 on: September 03, 2014, 07:18:02 AM

I saw a really interesting thread at Reddit where the guy said, "Look, Martin has said he doesn't like one-dimensional EEEVIL races, so he's not going to make the White Walkers into motiveless zombies who just want to kill the living." Then he goes from there and offers a really ingenious reading of the Night's King story and some other stuff. The general conclusions he comes to strike me as pretty sound--and they don't lead to a simple, "Fire beats Ice with lots of dragons", and they also lead to a rather different reading of Jon Snow's future and the fate of the Starks. And not a simple defeat for the White Walkers either.

It struck me that he might be the guy Martin is thinking about when he says a few people have guessed most of the important stuff.

Link?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3315 on: September 03, 2014, 10:23:26 AM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3316 on: September 03, 2014, 10:41:19 AM

That's the one.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3317 on: September 03, 2014, 10:46:47 AM

I enjoyed that.  Seems a bit of a stretch just because it leaves a LOT of ground to cover in books to come, but I suppose GRRM can cover ground quickly when he wants to.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3318 on: September 03, 2014, 10:50:47 AM

That was pretty interesting. (But goddamn I cannot get used to Reddit as a platform.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3319 on: September 03, 2014, 10:52:57 AM

I can see some ways he can get to it pretty quickly. Might also be a way to unload an absolutely savage beating on the Boltons, etc.--that the Starks have a reason for being Kings in the North that goes way beyond, "This is our castle and these guys are our bannermen".
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3320 on: September 04, 2014, 12:03:36 AM

(But goddamn I cannot get used to Reddit as a platform.)

Glad I'm not the only one.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #3321 on: September 04, 2014, 04:43:06 AM

Season 5 of GoT will not feature Bran or Hodor

Until TWoW comes out the showrunners don't seem inclined to extend the storyline (which is more or less done to the extent present in the books)

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3322 on: September 04, 2014, 06:19:52 AM

I am not at all surprised by this. They really can't, since Bran almost certainly is going to be Mr. Infodump for the next part of his story in the books--Martin is almost certainly going to use him to let us see things that none of the viewpoint characters have seen or could see, including in the past, in order to set up the rising action of the series climax.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #3323 on: September 04, 2014, 06:25:35 AM

I for one am happy that there's no Bran in the next season. I think his storyline inserts too much "magic and fantasy" in to the story without being that interwoven into the other stuff (after they go north of the wall).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3324 on: September 04, 2014, 07:58:33 AM

That's a very good move. As it is, he would have had maybe one or two more scenes from the book and then he's done. Let Martin get another book out.

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: