Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:55:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116110 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2835 on: April 28, 2014, 06:31:46 AM

Thinking about Jon's future arc, I like that they found an excuse to have him do something with a bunch of NW guys before the thing that happens and then the thing Sam does.

And protecting his secret that he has no guys on the Wall feels important. Plus his own experience suggests captured crows get interrogated about this shit.

Except the only thing keeping Mance from rolling over the wall in the book was the fact that his troops were ill-disciplined. The most he could do is send them in the general direction of castle black and hope for the best. His best fighters were the scouts, who he kept as scouts for obvious reasons and they were "suppose" to hit castle black while everyone was relaxing all cool in the yard. TV show advance party seems to be content bringing attention to themselves raiding villages around Castle Black...something that would have easily forced the hand of several northern houses to react to immediately. While book advance party actually tried to do their job.

The scouts are attacking the areas controlled by the nightswatch specifically to draw them out and not have to attack their castle.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2836 on: April 28, 2014, 06:35:51 AM

I don't think you'd want Tywin in charge of the defenses. The guy does not think about the long game in the biggest sense. He thinks about how he and his house come out ahead in the next step. He'd make a great executive at Goldman-Sachs but not a great leader of the nation. If the White Walkers were closing on King's Landing, my assumption would be that he would be checking to see what of his house's wealth was mobile and would be preparing to ship across the Narrow Sea.

Yeah Tywin's not the guy you want in a crisis. He'll sell the country down the river so he can start over with his family on the other side of the seas.

The Lannister you want in a crisis is probably Tyrion.

No probably about it.  Kings Landing is still in Lannister hands entirely because of Tyrion's preparations of the defenses and reinforcement of the city watch with whomever he could consript.  Had it been only dad in charge they wouldn't have been able to hold out until they were rescued by the reinforcements.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2837 on: April 28, 2014, 07:13:30 AM

Yes, that was my thought process as well. Given what we saw at Blackwater, the Dwarf takes the day.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2838 on: April 28, 2014, 08:46:46 AM

Thinking about Jon's future arc, I like that they found an excuse to have him do something with a bunch of NW guys before the thing that happens and then the thing Sam does.

And protecting his secret that he has no guys on the Wall feels important. Plus his own experience suggests captured crows get interrogated about this shit.

Except the only thing keeping Mance from rolling over the wall in the book was the fact that his troops were ill-disciplined. The most he could do is send them in the general direction of castle black and hope for the best. His best fighters were the scouts, who he kept as scouts for obvious reasons and they were "suppose" to hit castle black while everyone was relaxing all cool in the yard. TV show advance party seems to be content bringing attention to themselves raiding villages around Castle Black...something that would have easily forced the hand of several northern houses to react to immediately. While book advance party actually tried to do their job.

The scouts are attacking the areas controlled by the nightswatch specifically to draw them out and not have to attack their castle.

l

TV show advance party seems to be content bringing attention to themselves raiding villages around Castle Black...something that would have easily forced the hand of several northern houses to react to immediately. While book advance party actually tried to do their job.

The Northern houses are a bit fucked at the moment, what with Winterfell being burned down and all, the Greyjoy's occupying Deepwood Motte, and most of the Northern Lords having just fought on the losing side of a war.

Except even the most despot, crapsack, half starving northern house HATES the wildlings to the point of irrational racial rage of white cleansing. They wouldn't under no circumstances tolerate a significant number of wildings raiding south of the wall.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2839 on: April 28, 2014, 09:53:15 AM

I don't think you'd want Tywin in charge of the defenses. The guy does not think about the long game in the biggest sense. He thinks about how he and his house come out ahead in the next step. He'd make a great executive at Goldman-Sachs but not a great leader of the nation. If the White Walkers were closing on King's Landing, my assumption would be that he would be checking to see what of his house's wealth was mobile and would be preparing to ship across the Narrow Sea.

Yeah Tywin's not the guy you want in a crisis. He'll sell the country down the river so he can start over with his family on the other side of the seas.

The Lannister you want in a crisis is probably Tyrion.

No probably about it.  Kings Landing is still in Lannister hands entirely because of Tyrion's preparations of the defenses and reinforcement of the city watch with whomever he could consript.  Had it been only dad in charge they wouldn't have been able to hold out until they were rescued by the reinforcements.

Also Tyrion has plot armour. If Tywin fucks up he's dead.

The guy you really want is Varys.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2840 on: April 28, 2014, 10:14:48 AM

The whole Locke joining the Night's Watch and volunteering to go past the wall with Jon Snow seems like a "Bolton wants to find the supposedly dead Stark boys" addition to the plot line which I honestly don't remember from the books. Of course, the whole Reek storyline happens way later in the books than where events are now in the show so maybe I am confused by the order of things.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2841 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:43 AM

I think this is the first sign that they're preparing to move away from the novels more.  I'm betting that they've realized that they'll wrap up the show before GMR wraps up the books, and as a result, they can't have the show follow the books entirely... so they're starting to break away and write their own tale (with GMMR involved).  I'm sure the novels will continue to inspire the show, but I think we'll get farther and farther from the novels as we go.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2842 on: April 28, 2014, 01:57:13 PM

I think we're seeing what they want to do with the Boltons and Reek, yeah. Though I can't imagine what would get Ramsay to go north of the Wall to find Bran--he may want to impress dear old Dad but not that much. Maybe Bran and Co. are going to come back south of the Wall for a while before he goes and does his thing.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2843 on: April 28, 2014, 02:44:08 PM

Or in other words these filler arcs are filler.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2844 on: April 28, 2014, 05:02:41 PM

Also, Craster sucked - good thing he's dead.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2845 on: April 28, 2014, 05:35:48 PM

Oh. Apparently the credits showed that the White Walker with the horns was the Night's King before they took the credit off after people started to react.

This is somewhat notable if you've read the books.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2846 on: April 28, 2014, 06:36:48 PM

Oh. Apparently the credits showed that the White Walker with the horns was the Night's King before they took the credit off after people started to react.

wow.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #2847 on: April 28, 2014, 06:43:56 PM

And I wouldn't have even noticed if some assholes on the internet hadn't made such a big deal about it.

In fact, even after they did, I still had no idea until it was just spelled out for me.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #2848 on: April 28, 2014, 07:42:23 PM

I think this is the first sign that they're preparing to move away from the novels more.  I'm betting that they've realized that they'll wrap up the show before GMR wraps up the books, and as a result, they can't have the show follow the books entirely... so they're starting to break away and write their own tale (with GMMR involved).  I'm sure the novels will continue to inspire the show, but I think we'll get farther and farther from the novels as we go.

The show at this point has become more important than the books, a massive worldwide hit, and I am guessing GRRM is perfectly happy with that. I am also going to guess GRRM probably enjoys collaborating on the show, bringing his work to life with a big budget and so many talented people, more than slogging away by himself at 900 page volumes in his office, that he isn't even all that great at writing.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2849 on: April 28, 2014, 09:59:07 PM

Yeah, I would have figured Coldhands for the Night King.  Either I was completely wrong, or they are really going in a substantially different direction now.  The fact that the passage through Nightfort and Coldhands were cut completely would argue for the latter.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2850 on: April 29, 2014, 07:32:17 AM

Nah, I'm betting Coldhands is Benjen.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2851 on: April 29, 2014, 08:23:08 AM

Coldhands was obviously Benjen, and it wasn't the credits it was some episode synopsis that named that guy the night's king.

I am the .00000001428%
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #2852 on: April 29, 2014, 09:04:53 AM

A minor change, but an improvement over the books for how Pod was handled. Instead of a major coincidence dictating how his someone-to-talk-at character moved from one sympathetic POV character to another, his appointment to Brienne made perfect sense and created a satisfying emotional handoff between his final scene with Tyrion, Tyrion's with Jaime, and Jaime's with Brienne. All of three of which were excellent work from all actors involved. Maybe it's a little too neat and clean for this universe, but replacing a coincidence isn't much of a loss.

Also, now I know why Tommen is noticeably older this season than in the past one, and the books. From kittens to, well, you know.  Ohhhhh, I see.
The opportunity of having Natalie Dormer flirt with someone is not one you want to pass up.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2853 on: April 29, 2014, 09:19:40 AM

I also liked how they're handling Pod.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2854 on: April 29, 2014, 09:31:28 AM

I don't remember a coincidence, i remember Pod seeking out Brienne because he was pissed Tyrion bailed without him and he figured he would find him with Sansa.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2855 on: April 29, 2014, 12:04:53 PM

I like a lot of what they are doing that is different from the books. They are clearly padding this season a little bit, perhaps bringing some stories forward so they can wrap the whole show up in a season 6 or 7. Jon going to Craster's makes sense for a number of reasons and Bran being there gives him something to do. Having Pod leave King's Landing with Brienne was a good way to keep him involved without what felt like a huge coincidence from the books.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2856 on: April 29, 2014, 12:13:56 PM

Yay another total shit episode.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #2857 on: April 29, 2014, 02:24:59 PM

I don't remember a coincidence, i remember Pod seeking out Brienne because he was pissed Tyrion bailed without him and he figured he would find him with Sansa.
Consulting the wiki, I see that's true, but it's funny how I forgot the details and just remember that it felt really farfetched. Apparently Pod hears from Sansa's former maid about Brienne's secret quest, is able to track her down as she is travelling on the roads without much of a clear itenerary, and then the famously solitary and independent Brienne takes him along.

The TV version is big improvement.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2858 on: April 29, 2014, 04:14:34 PM

Consulting the wiki, I see that's true, but it's funny how I forgot the details and just remember that it felt really farfetched. Apparently Pod hears from Sansa's former maid about Brienne's secret quest, is able to track her down as she is travelling on the roads without much of a clear itenerary, and then the famously solitary and independent Brienne takes him along.

We kinda added that to her character. She isn't solitary, she just don't like douchebags and since that's every knight in westeros (even the gay ones) she tends to work alone. Granted cause she is a chic and from the least war'ring place in westeros she'd spends most of her time training anyway. She isn't exactly a seasoned warrior who goes out and slaughters folk solo. Hence why she is borderline naive and very honorable.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2859 on: April 30, 2014, 12:16:01 AM

She isn't antisocial, she has had solitary imposed upon her. She has no reason to shoo off Podrick, who is not a knight or a shithead and is unlikely to do the 'hurr hurr you is a girl' routine.

Also, maybe she heard the rumours from littlefinger's house.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2860 on: April 30, 2014, 12:17:25 AM

Also, maybe she heard the rumours from littlefinger's house.

I love that they put that into the show.  I laugh every time Pod is onscreen.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2861 on: April 30, 2014, 07:35:06 AM

We kinda added that to her character. She isn't solitary, she just don't like douchebags and since that's every knight in westeros (even the gay ones) she tends to work alone. Granted cause she is a chic and from the least war'ring place in westeros she'd spends most of her time training anyway. She isn't exactly a seasoned warrior who goes out and slaughters folk solo. Hence why she is borderline naive and very honorable.

Also I think with pods immediate response to one of her questions with a sir will probably help the two of them as pod clearly accepts her as a knight first and while he may be a bit bumbling he is a good squire and seemed competent at that job with tyrion.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2862 on: April 30, 2014, 07:38:32 AM

I refuse to have any emotional attachment to any character now after the Red Wedding.

There were a couple of good scenes, but this was another episode of treading water.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2863 on: April 30, 2014, 07:49:24 AM

That's pretty much how books 4-5 go. A couple of good scenes with a lot of treading water.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #2864 on: April 30, 2014, 10:40:35 AM

That's pretty much how books 4-5 go. A couple of good scenes with a lot of treading water.

Although they might just skip that entire section of Dance. Not like anything plot-advancing happened.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2865 on: April 30, 2014, 12:14:47 PM

Hm.. except that whole..

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2866 on: April 30, 2014, 12:27:00 PM

I'll happily sit through an hour of treading water each week if it is Hound/Arya quality treading water.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2867 on: April 30, 2014, 12:48:36 PM

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2868 on: April 30, 2014, 02:17:25 PM

I'll happily sit through an hour of treading water each week if it is Hound/Arya quality treading water.

Srsly.

I don't care about the overarching world plot nearly as much as I do about the characters.  The bantering/sidequest stuff is only "treading water" if you're just waiting for the next big plot thing and/or fight scene to happen.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2869 on: April 30, 2014, 03:45:21 PM

Sure. But the particular treading water we're talking about is
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: