Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:50:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Red Eagle Entertainment gets Wheel of Time; announces MMO *spoilers in here* 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Eagle Entertainment gets Wheel of Time; announces MMO *spoilers in here*  (Read 86722 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: November 12, 2008, 10:25:28 PM

That's how it reads to me.

Red Eagle hasn't even got a website about the company up, but they are announcing MMOs, games for all platforms, at least three movies to be made by Universal that they can leverage off...

I give Darkfall a better chance of success than WoTO.

mod edit: Truncated title.  Sorry.  Added spoiler warning.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 06:17:52 PM by Rasix »

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 12:14:50 AM

Oops, my bad - they do have a separate Red Eagle Games site.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:21:32 AM

If you can get achievement awards for tugging on your braids 100 times I'm sure it will be a hit with the fans.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 01:42:03 AM

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 03:27:12 AM

Awesome.  Hopefully they follow the Karanas school of zone design to capture the apropriate feel of the books.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:02:38 AM

I told my wife about this announcement (she's a big wot fan, not a gamer at all) and she said "That's great, but how about they quit fucking around and finish the final book first".  lol

I couldn't make it past the first 100 pages of the first book... Aes Sedai felt too 'feministy' to me.  I like my fantasy women carryable over the shoulder, I suppose. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:04:14 AM by Hawkbit »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 10:03:50 AM

Wheel of Grind Online
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:39:48 AM

I'm a fan of the books, but I dunno how well angst translates into a marketable game.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 11:49:45 AM

Maybe if you use Balefire too much it will randomly make your character do some dumb shit. That would be sweet.

On a serious note, I'm with BZA...How do you make this work as an MMO ? You have the LOTRO problem. 

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 11:52:52 AM

Well, shit the books have grinds and never-ending treadmills down to a science. An MMOG just seems appropo.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:59:09 AM

Well played, sir.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 04:21:24 PM

Everything is an MMORPG.

I'm blown away we haven't had a Harry Potter MMORPG announced at some point.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 05:23:45 PM

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 08:24:29 PM

This sounds like Perpetual, Round 2. Secure the rights then figure out if you should do something with them then figure out what that could potentially be, get more funding and then hire a team that either laughs at whatever vision you had or is incapable in some other way.

That's not to say this couldn't work. It could But jeezus, WoT is like 11 Simarillions, just long ass shit for the purpose of being really really about the world. That they already said there'd only be three movies and then only #2 and #3 if the first was successful at least shows enough insight into just how few people have probably read the whole damned thing. It's like the Saturday Night Live of books: you probably have a favorite era, but you haven't really loved it from start to contemporary.

Doing any more than two movies would turn this into Dances with Wolves.

But those are the easy parts.

The HARD part is getting Joe the Moviegamer to give a crap. This is not LoTR. It's not even The Belgariod. These are not casual light friendly books the masses have read. At least LoTR had name recognition to attract never-read-its to movies that were damned good for casual fans and at least interesting enough for passersby. WoT is just those big ass door stops you walked by on the way to the Manga and Graphic Novel section at Barnes & Noble.

So I suspect their marketing budget is going to overtake their development one if this ever comes out.

As to MMORPG, it's probaby just the modern equivalent of MMO: a label you slap onto a contrived largely-single-player game you put a monthly fee or avatar outfitting mtx on.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 07:39:12 AM

Necro #1 for this evening.

Some movement - Red Eagle signs on Obsidian to do the heavy lifting on the Wheel of Time IP.. EA might be the overall publisher... but they said that back in early 2009. This article seems to indicate that Red Eagle might look to self-publish, or use someone else to distribute but still call themselves publisher.

EDIT: Since there wasn't a thread about Interzone previously, there isn't going to be a Nectro #2. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:42:01 AM by UnSub »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 07:45:33 AM

Ill go out on a limb and say they are most likely the only house that can pull it off.

I know nothing of this eagle house (Who's logo looks very close to EA's) or this "Wheel of time" series.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:47:05 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 07:50:18 AM

Does anyone else feel like WoT just doesn't translate well into a computer game to begin with?
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 08:05:46 AM

I don't think WoT translated to books well either.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 08:10:44 AM

I don't see why not.  The classes will be:  Warder/Aes Sedai (one for each Ajah)/Asha'man/Aiel/Ogier/Sea Folk.  Hell all you really need is warders for melee and then each Ajah translates into basically Final Fantasy classes (red mage, white mage, black mage, etc.) The Tinkers could be like rogues/thieves.

Then you just grind Trollocs repeatedly.  Since Trollocs are just generic beasts that all look differently, I'm sure there will be A_Puny_Trolloc followed by A_Seasoned_Trolloc followed by A_Vicious_Trolloc and so on and so forth.  Then there are the faceless ones of course not to mention just random bandits and armies (Children of The Light would be sort of like the WoW version of Scarlet Crusade).

Dungeons will be places like Shadar Logoth and that weird tower where the fox and snake people are.

Raid bosses will be leaders of armies and factions, eventually working your way up to Forsaken and the Aelfinn and Eelfinn.  Then they release an expansion where you have to kill Shaidar Haran/The Dark One.  The End.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 08:12:32 AM

Having player Aes Sedai and Ashaman would be only one step away from letting players play mages in LOTRO.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 08:13:54 AM

I disagree.  There were like 5 mages in LoTR.  In WoT there are thousands of Aes Sedai.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 09:23:47 AM

Wake me up when someone makes a Malazan MMO please, i wanna be a sapper.

I am the .00000001428%
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 09:27:22 AM

Good god no.  This reminds me of the store down the street that only sold clothes for little dogs.  It went out of business in about 5 months.  The whole time I'm thinking, "some fucking idiot gave those people money for this venture". 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 12:01:03 PM

I disagree.  There were like 5 mages in LoTR.  In WoT there are thousands of Aes Sedai.
Most of the work in LOTRO is based off the great masters works of fantasy art.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 12:34:55 PM

Does anyone else feel like WoT just doesn't translate well into a computer game to begin with?

There's been one game before, and it worked fairly well even if it wasn't all that popular.
There's been a ton of MUDs, MUSHES, MUCKS and MOOs over the years as well.  Hell, I recall there used to be as many as there were Star Wars and Star Trek variants.  Those games were all very much about living in a 'world' vs a grind-em-up Raidfest like WoW, however.   If they followed the design outline Turbine has for LoTR, you might be very surprised.

However, I don't expect anything approaching a professional, polished experience out of it. Darkfall indeed.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 01:40:04 PM

What are you referring to again?  I think you misunderstood my quote because I'm not understanding the art link in context.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 01:47:00 PM

Good god no.  This reminds me of the store down the street that only sold clothes for little dogs.  It went out of business in about 5 months.  The whole time I'm thinking, "some fucking idiot gave those people money for this venture". 

I really don't get this sentiment.  We've all seen a thousand million derivative MMO's based off of licenses.  This is no different.  They're just going to shoehorn a standard MMO into the lore of WoT.  The WoT world is certainly no worse than the WoW world from a fleshed out story and lore perspective.  Now is it a good idea commercially? Artistically? Those are different questions (all signs point to no).  But it's not as if a WoT MMO must necessarily be more niche than, say, a Warhammer MMO.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 02:52:30 PM

I really don't get this sentiment. 

Has it ever worked?  WoT sucks......a lot.  I'm sure the game will be terrible too.
GenVec
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 03:18:14 PM

It's not as big an IP as Star Wars or Star Trek, but it's got solid legs. The proliferation of MUDS and MOOs attests to the fact that there is a playerbase waiting, and if they can shoehorn LOTRO into an MMO I've got no doubt they'll be able to do this as well. Especially if they're willing to do something... *gasp*... creative with it.

Anyway, automatically assuming it will suck because of the IP is just as foolish as assuming it will be good.

(also for reference, the last book in the series wasn't half bad.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:38:16 PM by GenVec »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 03:48:02 PM

Its helps that someone else wrote it.

Hic sunt dracones.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 03:59:57 PM

(also for reference, the last book in the series wasn't half bad.)

The first book wasn't half bad, either.  Too bad he didn't stop.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 04:19:28 PM

The proliferation of MUDS and MOOs attests to the fact that there is a playerbase waiting,

If you combined the populations of all the WoT MUDs and MOOs, you might feel a few WoW servers. This is not the size of the player playerbase people make MMOs for.

An MMO for WoT is only going to launch if they can cast a much wider net of attraction from a movie. It's not about the books, because no one could ever have a big enough budget to do that series the kind of justice fans of the books would want. So the movie will distill things down to the highlights (probably just book one) and then the MMO will be about killing ten Trollogs.

That could be fine. But we have plenty of that already. I'd really like a good WoT game that shows how the series is different from your usual fantasy tripe. But I don't think anyone involved in these projects can get that kind of budget.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 04:51:32 PM

I really don't get this sentiment. 

Has it ever worked?  WoT sucks......a lot.  I'm sure the game will be terrible too.

That's not the point.  It's not like it sucks worse than Blizzard lore novels or Star Trek books.   I mean last I checked John Updike wasn't writing Star Wars novellas.  The point is it's going to be the same shit as everything else with  WoT reskin.  So it seems weird to me people would have trouble imagining a WoT MMO.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 04:56:01 PM

The proliferation of MUDS and MOOs attests to the fact that there is a playerbase waiting,

An MMO for WoT is only going to launch if they can cast a much wider net of attraction

Warhammer.  Let's set all of our separate nerd predilections aside. There's been plenty of IP's to launch with less cachet than WoT.  Not to mention successful original IP MMOs. 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 05:08:16 PM

What are you referring to again?  I think you misunderstood my quote because I'm not understanding the art link in context.

Know what, ignore me, because I read the post wrong. I read images off of mages.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Red Eagle Entertainment gets Wheel of Time; announces MMO *spoilers in here*  
Jump to: