Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:04:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Random nerd thread unrelated to orig. topic. Current: Tanks vs Mechs! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random nerd thread unrelated to orig. topic. Current: Tanks vs Mechs!  (Read 200885 times)
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: January 15, 2009, 09:29:15 PM

Was that Optimus Prime's voice?

Yes, yes it was.

Typecast as a giant robot.  Wow, that's a very specific niche.

A niche of awesome!

Actually, regarding voice work, between Peter Cullen and Frank Welker (Op Prime and Megatron from the original cartoon series) they've been in damn near every movie evar.

Check out their IMDB profiles.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:30:53 PM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #526 on: January 21, 2009, 11:41:57 PM

Ah, forgot about that. That's one of the reasons so many anime heroes are teenage kids. One of this season's anime shows has had the protagonist changed from a college guy to a high-school guy to suit Japanese tastes. Personally, I'm terribly jaded by the generic anime teenage hero; most of the anime I actually like (eg, Ghost in the Shell TV series) features a cast of competent characters.

Just watched some, so I'm resurrecting this thread to talk about it: One of the things I always liked about Big O was the fact that it successfully avoided (or outright mocked) a lot of dumb anime stereotypes. Roger Smith is a grown ass man who wears a sharp suit, drives a big black sedan, and doesn't angst about shit. When Dorothy gets kidnapped, he's just "Norman watch the house, I have to go get Dorothy." Then he goes and gets her. When he finds out that he's actually a fucking clone, something that might give anyone an existential crisis, he's got one good "It doesn't matter how I was born, only how I live!" speech in him and then it's on with business.

(I love that one little shot of him obliviously getting a new tie from Dorothy while the giant transformation sequence goes on behind him.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:43:50 PM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: January 22, 2009, 01:11:12 AM

Big O is good stuff. I love when Norman gets out the assault cannon like it's part of his duties as a butler to kick ass.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: January 22, 2009, 07:20:06 AM

I loved the hell out of Big O.  I wish they'd gone through with making the third season. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #529 on: January 22, 2009, 10:05:05 AM

Did they really call their giant robots Mega Douches?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #530 on: January 22, 2009, 10:29:29 AM

Mega Deuce.. as in two.

I like your version better, though. It makes the show even more awesome.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: January 22, 2009, 11:34:13 AM

I could never get past the art style.  And the little boy with a giant robot.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: January 22, 2009, 11:35:02 AM

Megadeus, actually.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: January 22, 2009, 11:36:27 AM

I could never get past the art style.  And the little boy with a giant robot.

I think you're thinking of Giant Robo. Big O didn't have a little boy with a giant robot... I don't remember one anyway.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: January 22, 2009, 12:41:29 PM

Oh, maybe.  I don't think I liked its style either.  So they kind of blend together.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: January 22, 2009, 01:25:08 PM

Big O was "What if everyone in Gotham City lost their memory and Bruce Wayne was given a mech?"

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: January 22, 2009, 02:36:04 PM

Big O was "What if everyone in Gotham City lost their memory and Bruce Wayne was given a mech?"

And it was TOTALLY FUCKING RAD.  Even if the time I tried to watch it Adult Swim ended it after the 25th episode, leaving quite the cliffhanger and pile of confusion.

But it is basically "Less angsty Batman gets a giant robot".
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #537 on: January 22, 2009, 04:05:00 PM

Oh, maybe.  I don't think I liked its style either.  So they kind of blend together.

Come on, look at Big Duo here. How can you not love an Art Deco land-air mech with fucking propellers on it?

It's like they heard someone like me ranting about how a flying mech is horribly impractical, and just said "Fuck you, bam, here's some propellers. Now what, bitch? Sit the fuck down before we have a guy shoveling coal into it!" They blatantly don't give a damn as long as it's cool.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:10:36 PM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: January 22, 2009, 05:26:12 PM

Not to mention the theme song is a rip on Queen's Flash Gordon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdA6iRk94Hc

Rock on!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Random nerd thread unrelated to orig. topic. Current: Tanks vs Mechs!  
Jump to: