Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:02:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Random nerd thread unrelated to orig. topic. Current: Tanks vs Mechs! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random nerd thread unrelated to orig. topic. Current: Tanks vs Mechs!  (Read 202059 times)
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #490 on: January 10, 2009, 07:15:48 PM

I'm going to go off on a limb and call that "not battlefield ready."
It's art.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: January 10, 2009, 09:25:28 PM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #492 on: January 11, 2009, 04:32:40 AM

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: January 11, 2009, 10:22:50 AM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: January 11, 2009, 03:40:57 PM

I want one of those robots, they're adorable  Heart

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #495 on: January 11, 2009, 04:03:25 PM

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: January 11, 2009, 06:32:28 PM

About that - what is up with the angsty teenager thing? Are people just trying to cash-in on the success of Evangelion?

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #497 on: January 11, 2009, 06:56:42 PM

No friggin' idea. Presumed it's simply because that's the target demographics. Sort of like you have Pokemon focus on the 10 year olds.

ob my what do we have here?
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: January 11, 2009, 09:57:28 PM

Ah, forgot about that. That's one of the reasons so many anime heroes are teenage kids. One of this season's anime shows has had the protagonist changed from a college guy to a high-school guy to suit Japanese tastes. Personally, I'm terribly jaded by the generic anime teenage hero; most of the anime I actually like (eg, Ghost in the Shell TV series) features a cast of competent characters.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: January 11, 2009, 10:23:05 PM

I would argue that bit about competence, but I honestly don't recall enough for specifics.

I failed the thread  ACK!

Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: January 12, 2009, 01:10:56 PM

Ah, forgot about that. That's one of the reasons so many anime heroes are teenage kids. One of this season's anime shows has had the protagonist changed from a college guy to a high-school guy to suit Japanese tastes. Personally, I'm terribly jaded by the generic anime teenage hero; most of the anime I actually like (eg, Ghost in the Shell TV series) features a cast of competent characters.

This is pretty much why I don't watch much anime anymore.  It seems as if in the Mangas and the Animes that anyone over the age of say, 25 is useless and incompetent unless they have a beard and look like they are getting ready to join a ZZ Top tribute band.

Women who are married or unmarried in their 20s constantly get called old maids, and the really elderly are either sexual deviants or are endless founts of wisdom.  Nothing else.  I guess the Japanese equivalent of AARP has half its magazine devoted to zen wisdom, the other half involves how to steal young women's underwear.

The fact that much of this youth worship is done for two equally lame reasons (one being creepy the other just sad and generic) makes it even more annoying.  Its to give the creeps the underaged fap fodder they so desperately crave, and the other is the general YOUTH RULEZ FUCK THOSE ADULT BASTARDS THEY JUST DONT KNOW HOW MUCH YOU KIDS ROCK! thing that so many cartoons worldwide seem to do.

Which is bullshit because even as a kid as long as the show was cool I didn't care if the main characters were kids, teens, adults, or shit, old fogies. 

A generation wasn't traumatized over Optimus Prime dying for being a radical kid.  It was apparently like losing a surrogate DAD for quite a few folks!

The anime youth thing is blatant pandering.  I do not like pandering. 
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: January 12, 2009, 02:51:07 PM

A generation wasn't traumatized over Optimus Prime dying for being a radical kid.  It was apparently like losing a surrogate DAD for quite a few folks!

He got better.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: January 12, 2009, 03:59:58 PM

HE can guard the base, Guard, The, Base.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: January 12, 2009, 08:42:41 PM

This is pretty much why I don't watch much anime anymore.  It seems as if in the Mangas and the Animes that anyone over the age of say, 25 is useless and incompetent unless they have a beard and look like they are getting ready to join a ZZ Top tribute band.

Women who are married or unmarried in their 20s constantly get called old maids, and the really elderly are either sexual deviants or are endless founts of wisdom.  Nothing else.  I guess the Japanese equivalent of AARP has half its magazine devoted to zen wisdom, the other half involves how to steal young women's underwear.

The fact that much of this youth worship is done for two equally lame reasons (one being creepy the other just sad and generic) makes it even more annoying.  Its to give the creeps the underaged fap fodder they so desperately crave, and the other is the general YOUTH RULEZ FUCK THOSE ADULT BASTARDS THEY JUST DONT KNOW HOW MUCH YOU KIDS ROCK! thing that so many cartoons worldwide seem to do.

Which is bullshit because even as a kid as long as the show was cool I didn't care if the main characters were kids, teens, adults, or shit, old fogies. 

The anime youth thing is blatant pandering.  I do not like pandering. 

I think your hatred is a bit misplaced. Why you might ask? While your grips with anime is very right, your reasons are quite off once put through the lenses of perspective. The problem is a bunch of 30 somethings trying to make material for an audience half their age. You know the middle school - high school segment of society, the marketing sweet spot. In the states if you ask some guy to make a show for that age group your probably going to end up with dawson creek or one tree hill 9/10 times. Over there (jap) they get...well I don't actually watch any BAD anime lol. If you want to know any examples of good ones (that you can watch legally) look up Cowboy Bebop, HunterXHunter, Berserk, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, Death Note (if your in the mood for homicidal teenager), YuYu Hakashou. I'll recommend Naruto up until the time skip.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: January 13, 2009, 05:44:19 PM

Cowboy Bebop yes, Ghost in the Shell, okay.

Fullmetal Alchemist? Wat?

Maybe we didn't see the same show, or the version I saw was extremely edited or something with terrible dubbing (always a possibility) but... what?

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #505 on: January 13, 2009, 05:49:56 PM

Anime is shit. Now over to Jane for the weather.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: January 13, 2009, 06:22:11 PM

Cowboy Bebop yes, Ghost in the Shell, okay.

Fullmetal Alchemist? Wat?

Maybe we didn't see the same show, or the version I saw was extremely edited or something with terrible dubbing (always a possibility) but... what?

Fullmetal Alchemist too me anyway was a classic. I watched the SUBed version 99% of the time so... Ghost in the Shell, its not a anime I like in particular but some people may think its genius so I recommend it anyway.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #507 on: January 13, 2009, 06:58:46 PM

He got better.

God that never gets old.

"Then that's who you'll be from now on! Shitpiece!"

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #508 on: January 13, 2009, 07:02:47 PM

I still think THIS is much more impressive than pretty much anything I've seen come out of Japan.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: January 13, 2009, 09:08:21 PM

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: January 14, 2009, 12:57:11 AM

We already mocked the robogoat like 5 pages back! WUA called someone a fucktard and stuff, keep up people!

FullMetal alchemist to me was a whiny kid who put his whinier brother into a suit of armor. I couldn't stand more then a few episodes.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #511 on: January 14, 2009, 02:17:14 AM

See though, that's the difference between a Japanese robot and an American one. The Japanese robot is cute but dies horribly in a slip-and-fall accident. The American robot is ugly and makes horrible noises, but you can walk up and fucking kick it without knocking it over, and even when it does stumble it gets up.

Take that, Japan!

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: January 14, 2009, 03:39:37 AM

That's because the Japanese robot wasn't piloted by a Angst ridden teenager. DUH!

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: January 14, 2009, 06:57:47 PM

Angst ridden teenagers + robots =   Hello Kitty
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: January 14, 2009, 07:22:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVM63nq5g0

Just wanted to post my favorite Megas clip in the mecha thread!  awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Le0
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: January 14, 2009, 11:05:01 PM

Awesome thread, I read the 15 pages took me approximatively half a day Did not want to work anyway  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: January 14, 2009, 11:39:04 PM

Megas was a glorious show. It's pretty much what this thread's collective nerd energy would produce in cartoon form.

Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: January 15, 2009, 10:06:12 AM

Are dreadnoughts powerarmor or mechs?

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: January 15, 2009, 01:47:15 PM

According to 4th edition, they're vehicles.  awesome, for real And motorbikes are not vehicles.  why so serious?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #519 on: January 15, 2009, 02:30:01 PM

Mechs.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: January 15, 2009, 02:42:12 PM

But only little ones.  About 10-15 feet tall.  Same basic height as a light/medium tank in 40K, but much slimmer profile.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: January 15, 2009, 04:23:07 PM

OK the Dreadnoughts broke something inside.

I submit my design!

Design A : Simple tank looking mech.  The unarmored legs are inside the armored skirt.  It's a well protected mech and you don't have to waste precious armor on the legs.  It can go everywhere.

Design B :  Same as design A but with added wheels on the legs for fuel efficiency and added mobility on flat ground.  Also help preserve paved road.

Design C :  If you want a real mech - add some arms (in red) - they are great for caring giant S.W.A.T. shield.

Design D : Same as C but with a lightsaber.  It's a great to counter to the S.W.A.T. shield.

Design E : Not showcased but you could add some suction cups on the legs and the mech could climb enemy building.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: January 15, 2009, 04:46:47 PM

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: January 15, 2009, 05:09:49 PM

Was that Optimus Prime's voice?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #524 on: January 15, 2009, 05:35:54 PM

Was that Optimus Prime's voice?

Yes, yes it was.

Typecast as a giant robot.  Wow, that's a very specific niche.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Random nerd thread unrelated to orig. topic. Current: Tanks vs Mechs!  
Jump to: