Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Fallout 3 - Bethesda - PC 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 3 - Bethesda - PC  (Read 57009 times)
lesion

on: October 31, 2008, 04:50:52 PM

As a long-time fan of the classic Fallout games, my first impression of Bethesda's baby was: what butt-vomit did I just pay for?  It felt clunky, buggy and way too similar to a game that starts with 'O' and ends in "fuckyourself."  Yet soon after I stopped sleeping regularly. And I stopped caring about whether it was or was not truly Fallout.

Yes, this is Oblivion done right.  With guns.  Less fat, tastes great.  If you enjoyed TES4 for what it was, then you will enjoy this game at least twice as much because it has exploding baby carriages and 4000% more needless decapitation™.  VATS is truly awesome--take the work out of Max Payne's bullet time, add some (mostly) well-done random camera work and turn up the number of bloody jawbones flying around.

Bethesda has wrung every last drop of beautiful out of my computer, even shaking off the gross little hairs underneath.  This is one of those games where I can look into the sky and feel some of that old-time religion. The music fits the environment and stays in the shadows.  Sound effects are superb, but random NPC banter does suffer at times from the repetition problems in Bethesda's last first-person RPG.  I grudgingly accept this, however, because all the explosions can and do shake the poop out of my colon. AI vacillates from standard idiocy to how-the-fuck-did-he-get-stuck-in-a-wall, but that's not what this game is about.

This game is about fun, which is surprising to notice while being peppered with random crashes, glitches and really annoying mutated wildlife.  You can dress up like Hugh Hefner and fire a miniature nuke into an old lady's face.  Chunks of geriatric guilt will fly out in slow-motion and pepper nearby children frozen in horror (and slow-motion, did I mention that?).  The story isn't even outright bad yet.  However comma I have the distinct feeling that the game will lose a good portion of whatever has won me over after hitting max level and beating the highbrow voice actor questline.  The upside is that said quest can be ignored for as long as one likes.

Fallout est mort. Vive Fallout.

-

Buy it. Steal it. Do your thing.

steam|a grue \[T]/
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 06:23:49 PM

Does that character have a powdered wig on or something?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:43:34 PM

I bet it's one of those poncy English judges!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 08:34:39 PM

"WHIG PARTY IS BACK, BITCHES!"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 09:52:22 PM

I agree that Fallout 3 is not actually shitty.  If I remember that it's not really Fallout, it's downright awesome.  Unfortunately it has to compete with Dead Space, and after I play some of that, Fallout 3 seems kinda flat.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 10:53:48 PM

Unfortunately it has to compete with Dead Space, and after I play some of that, Fallout 3 seems kinda flat.

Apples?  Oranges?

That's like watching Ghostbusters and saying, "Y'know, it was decent, but it was no Exorcist".
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 03:34:03 PM

Fallout 3 is awesome game regardless of its rather numerous pitfalls. I forgot last time I *enjoyed* something that much and pulled all-nigher playing it. It is fucking awesome, who cares that it isn't Fallout 2?

Is it Fun? Fuck yes!
Is it Fallout? Maybe.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 08:06:02 PM

How is it un-Fallout?  I only played a couple hours so far, but thus far it's seeming fairly dead-on to me.  I never played Fallout 2, but I replayed Fallout just a couple months ago, so it's still pretty fresh.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 09:14:49 PM

How is it un-Fallout?  I only played a couple hours so far, but thus far it's seeming fairly dead-on to me.  I never played Fallout 2, but I replayed Fallout just a couple months ago, so it's still pretty fresh.

I would say the gallows humor is the major factor. That was one of the best parts of Fallout 2 for me. The whole game was just infused with great writing and characters. Fallout 3 seems to suffer from taking its self just a bit to seriously.

It is still a very fun game in its own right, even if I NEVER want to see another grayish or brownish environment. Especially a subway tunnel.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 10:54:44 PM

They certainly have the bleak wasteland thing down pretty well.  Too well, really.  One place that didn't look like the bombs had dropped yesterday would be nice. 

Also, there's all sorts of tidbits out there that would seem to be quests you could follow up on, but I had no luck doing so.  You'd think all that info on the bartender's computer in Megaton would come in handy somewhere, but I couldn't get anything started up after reading it.  It's like the NPCs are more set pieces than characters.  The game's fun, but it's like there's this even better game they started building on top of it but didn't bother finishing. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 11:11:15 PM

They certainly have the bleak wasteland thing down pretty well.  Too well, really.  One place that didn't look like the bombs had dropped yesterday would be nice

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 08:12:54 AM

I was gonna buy this today for the PC does it need controller (is it preferable) or is it playable w/mouse?

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 08:16:11 AM

I was gonna buy this today for the PC does it need controller (is it preferable) or is it playable w/mouse?

It controls very well on a PC using a mouse.  It plays like a shooter.

-Rasix
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 08:25:01 AM

Its a toss up for me, Should I buy this or dead space, I only have one game budgeted for the rest of the month.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Rasix

Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 08:37:33 AM

Its a toss up for me, Should I buy this or dead space, I only have one game budgeted for the rest of the month.

From what Yego and schild say, Dead Space is a horror/terror masterpiece, but you will likely get a lot more playtime out of this title. I'd likely have at least 2 play throughs, since I'm eager to try evil after going the good route to at least hear Three Dog bitch about what an evil bastard I am.

My wife doesn't want me even buying Dead Space on the off chance she'll see/hear me playing any of it.  The commercials alone scare her.

-Rasix
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 08:44:17 AM

Yeh actually now that I think about it Deadspace looks a bit better than this I tried to purchase it on Direct2drive but won't allow download to Ireland.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 08:47:51 AM

From what Yego and schild say, Dead Space is a horror/terror masterpiece, but you will likely get a lot more playtime out of this title. I'd likely have at least 2 play throughs, since I'm eager to try evil after going the good route to at least hear Three Dog bitch about what an evil bastard I am.

My wife doesn't want me even buying Dead Space on the off chance she'll see/hear me playing any of it.  The commercials alone scare her.

My wife loves horror scary things I might have to get Dead Space since she would probably want to give it a play through.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 01:43:04 PM

Does that character have a powdered wig on or something?

Yes, and you can get it in-game through a sidequest. I hear you can also get an Abe Lincoln stovepipe hat but I missed that unfortunately.

They certainly have the bleak wasteland thing down pretty well.  Too well, really.  One place that didn't look like the bombs had dropped yesterday would be nice. 

Also, there's all sorts of tidbits out there that would seem to be quests you could follow up on, but I had no luck doing so.  You'd think all that info on the bartender's computer in Megaton would come in handy somewhere, but I couldn't get anything started up after reading it.  It's like the NPCs are more set pieces than characters.  The game's fun, but it's like there's this even better game they started building on top of it but didn't bother finishing. 

There is one place that doesn't look bombed out. It's full of crazy people and it's great for a laugh and a free perk.

There are some little quests from these tidbits you are speaking of. Or at least little additions to ongoing quests.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 04:39:31 PM

You can blow people away in hilarious ways with overpowered weapons and wear funny hats while doing it?

Fuck, I cannot wait to get some playtime for this game. I've had to sequester myself at work since all the other office gamers have been crowing about it nonstop and spoilers will force me to cut a bitch.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 04:48:55 PM

I got my friend fable 2 and fallout 3 for birthday/christmas and he got deadspace. Fable 2 was interesting but of the three its deffinately third on my list. Fallout 3 seems to accomplish a lot of what fable 2 was aiming for with a setting and story I enjoyed more. God there are some hilarious weapons and fun combat stuff in fallout. I hear some not thinking its fall out enough but I was very pleased with the translation and its a LOT better than I was expecting.

Deadspace is also an awesome game its very well done with a very neat story. It also gets pretty freaky from time to time its survival horror ish but with a lot less ammo issues. The upgrading of weapons is intersting and the inside and outside space ship areas are amazing.

Sigh due to all three being so good we never got a chance to finish dead space due to us staying up till 3am playing fallout and we did not finish fallout because there is a metric ton of stuff to do in fallout exploration wise.

Nothing brings a smile to my face like rocking and rolling with the railway gun stapling super mutie heads to the wall with high velocity rail ties while it makes a sound like the little engine that could blw mutant heads off.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 07:32:57 PM

Nothing brings a smile to my face like rocking and rolling with the railway gun stapling super mutie heads to the wall with high velocity rail ties while it makes a sound like the little engine that could blw mutant heads off.

Have you tried the dart gun yet?  Because instantly crippling the person you shoot while they slowly lose health is fucking FUN.  And the gun looking like a rubber band gun just boosts it that much over the top.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 12:42:08 AM

I just picked it up yesterday.  I had the debate of it for 60 or Orange Box and Mass Effect for 30 each.  One 360 game or two?

Well Fallout won, and I am loving every minute of it, especially as I have begun to learn the glory of VATS.  A ganger is running away from me in a supermarket.  I have 2 VATS 13% chance headshots before he is out of sight.  I queue them both up and the second hits, making his head bounce around the aisle as his body falls.

THIS GAME IS SO RAD SO FAR.

And Moira rules all.  I went with 4 STR END, 6 PER, 7 INT LUK AGI, 5 CHA and I am doing pretty well so far.  My first 2 perks have both been to jack my INT up to 9.  High stat points for happy fun!
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 01:04:59 AM

Are we talking builds now?

I've got everything at 5 with Int at 10. 3xIntense Training for Agility, Perception and Luck.

Action Boy
Better Criticals
Commando
Comprehension
Concentrated Fire
Cyborg
Educated
Explorer
Finesse
Lawbringer
Rad Resistance
Scrounger
Sniper
Strong Back
Tag (to get the Energy weapons to 60 for concentrated fire)
Toughness

I'll be a toilet-drinking sharpshooter when I'm 20.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 01:22:17 AM

I just picked it up yesterday.  I had the debate of it for 60 or Orange Box and Mass Effect for 30 each.  One 360 game or two?

Well Fallout won, and I am loving every minute of it, especially as I have begun to learn the glory of VATS.  A ganger is running away from me in a supermarket.  I have 2 VATS 13% chance headshots before he is out of sight.  I queue them both up and the second hits, making his head bounce around the aisle as his body falls.

THIS GAME IS SO RAD SO FAR.

And Moira rules all.  I went with 4 STR END, 6 PER, 7 INT LUK AGI, 5 CHA and I am doing pretty well so far.  My first 2 perks have both been to jack my INT up to 9.  High stat points for happy fun!

builds wise, taking INT to the max as early as the game start is probably the best decision since skill pts are premium in early levels.

if you are using guns, STR of 4 is sufficient, END is crap stat, 1 is enough.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 07:39:20 AM

As someone who loves exploring, this game is awesome.  I forced myself to finish the plot after getting repeatedly sidetracked.  My second character is already finding new places.  My third encounter netted her sunglasses, a leather jacket, and a sniper rifle so she looks awesome from the outset.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 07:56:06 AM

You can blow people away in hilarious ways with overpowered weapons and wear funny hats while doing it?

I have Bloody Mess, a hockey mask and a party hat.  I switch out depending on my mood.  I also rock the bright blue hair and beard.  The more I play this the more I like it.

I wasn't trying to directly compare Dead Space and Fallout 3, but rather to say that if you eat some oranges then the apples taste flat.  I later find out that this apple has some sort of addictive chemical in it that makes you crave it fortnightly... smartass.  That chemical is at least somewhat composed of "decapitating Chinese Army remnants" and "using a baseball bat in VATS".

MAN, I HAVE NOT DISCUSSED A SPECIAL BUILD IN SO LONG! awesome, for real
I started with 4,4,4,4,8,8,8 and am now something like 5,5,4,4,10,8,8.  I think I did not go extreme enough, probably would have had fun with 4,4,1,4,9,9,9.  Not sure about my next guy, likely a brawler with 9,2,9,1,1,9,9.  I think fists+grenades would be a fun mix.

Repair is a very important skill.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 08:52:59 AM

It sucks not having found any extra laser rifles yet, as I keep having to shell out to pay for repairs on my main weapon.

My guy looks just a bit goofy, rocking an armored vault 101 jumpsuit and a stormchaser hat.

With gear, currently at 5 8 4 6 8 7 6 at lvl 7.

Perks are: Bloody Mess, Child at Heart, Educated, Intense Training x 2, Lady Killer, and 2 quest perks.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 09:17:44 AM

I am almost drooling for mods now.

I am trying to shove it as far down in the pile as I can, so that I can play it only after some of the better mods have come out and been community tested.
Rasix

Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 09:23:32 AM

I'd really like to see a mod that uses all of the junk laying around for repairing. Maybe smaller percentage gains and only available at higher repairing, but it would be pretty neat.

-Rasix
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 09:45:02 AM

I have to admit I am seriously considering replaying. My first build was:

St 5 Agil 8 End 5 Char 6 Int 8 Per 5 (Agil and Int may have been 7 I don't remember how many points you get.)

By end game I had per, agil and int at 10 and most other things at 6 or 7 from bobbleheads.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 09:57:26 AM

I guess I'm either too early in the game or too much of a min/maxer to go for style. I'm in leather armor with a motorcycle helmet that seems like it would be cool but either looks like a white afro or an extra from Spaceballs. Especially since I'm a black dude with the lambchops+stache.

(Sorry for some reason I couldn't make that a spoiler in this forum?)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 11:49:46 AM

I'm late to the party and only installed the game yesterday, I have a question but don't want to read the spoiler thread.  Is there anything important in this game that has a time limit like in Fallout one?  Is the game going to be affected if I spend a bunch of time exploring places that have no real purpose instead of getting their water chip?
Rasix

Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 11:50:14 AM

I'm late to the party and only installed the game yesterday, I have a question but don't want to read the spoiler thread.  Is there anything important in this game that has a time limit like in Fallout one?  Is the game going to be affected if I spend a bunch of time exploring places that have no real purpose instead of getting their water chip?

Nope.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 12:35:01 PM

Once you finish the main quest, the game ends, so you are better off exploring as much as you can/want to before you do that. Its kind of the opposite problem as Fallout 1. I really debated about spoiler tagging that, but I think it is something people should know lest they rush through the main quest first and then want to explore everything leisurely.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 03:27:57 PM

Ah very good, thanks to you both.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Fallout 3 - Bethesda - PC  
Jump to: