Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:59:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Heavy Metal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heavy Metal  (Read 16135 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: October 29, 2008, 07:36:13 AM

The Age of Reckoning has dawned

Across the Old World and on the island home of the High Elves, bitter enemies clash in bloody skirmishes and mighty battles. For the soldiers of Order and Destruction, there is no respite and no mercy. Now, the warring factions will gain new allies in the form of the fearsome Black Guard and the cunning Knight of the Blazing Sun. These heavily-armored soldiers race to the battlefront to anchor their realms' defenses and ensure that for every inch of ground given, the enemy pays in bitter blood.

With a thunderous war-cry and the ringing of steel on steel, the battle begins anew, with neither side willing to retreat or surrender.

Tl;Dr: The introduction of the two new classes, and one (Temporary) Scenario.

LINK

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 07:40:01 AM

Outstanding.  More classes will certainly save the game!

/facepalm

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:41:18 AM

When the Heavy Metal live event begins on November 17th, players who log into WAR will see a new tab in the Tome of Knowledge. Clicking on this tab will open the Live Events page, where each day we'll place a new daily task. Completing these daily tasks earns influence, just like you'd earn in a public quest. There are rewards for Basic, Advanced and Elite influence, culminating in the ultimate prize: the chance to play WAR's new classes a full week before they're released to the public! This last reward won't be easy to earn, and players who want to get to the Elite level will need to log in each day and complete on the daily event.

This is....really weird.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 07:43:44 AM

I think it is a good idea - make it easy in-game to find out about the live event.

The limited time scenario is a good idea as well, but... if it doesn't work obvious deficiencies are apparent, players will quickly avoid it.

Also, who's been testing the cut classes since WAR launched to ensure they are up to launch, given they got cut for not being ready?

ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 07:43:53 AM

When the Heavy Metal live event begins on November 17th, players who log into WAR will see a new tab in the Tome of Knowledge. Clicking on this tab will open the Live Events page, where each day we'll place a new daily task. Completing these daily tasks earns influence, just like you'd earn in a public quest. There are rewards for Basic, Advanced and Elite influence, culminating in the ultimate prize: the chance to play WAR's new classes a full week before they're released to the public! This last reward won't be easy to earn, and players who want to get to the Elite level will need to log in each day and complete on the daily event.

This is....really weird.
That could actually be really cool.

Check this out- a series of Live Events that funnel players into one or more zones to fight over the PQ and rewards.  I like the idea that I see somewhere in the nucleus of this Heavy Metal event.

heh but who knows if Mythic sees it too.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:44:00 AM

...culminating in the ultimate prize: the chance to play WAR's new classes a full week before they're released to the public! This last reward won't be easy to earn...

Seriously, who the fuck cares?  How about you fix my guild cloak instead of adding more broken shit.
Le0

Email
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 07:54:31 AM

well all the people that planned to play Black guard or Kotbs at release most certainly care..

I'd like to see some stuff fixed in game though, I Could care less about cloak herladry need to fix other more important stuff first? are you serious  swamp poop
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:02:14 AM

The expression is "I couldn't care less".

Yes, I don't want them to fix the important stuff any more.  I've moved on, I just want them to fix trivial things now, so at least I'll know they can fix something.

Edit to add.

Also the two missing classes, you know what the majority of those players are doing now?  They are either heavily invested in other classes or they have already quit the game.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:04:46 AM by Arthur_Parker »
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 08:09:27 AM

Looks good to me and sounds entertaining.  I would prefer an open rvr event though.  I'm thinking if the witch thingamabob is good for open rvr they should do it more often.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 08:40:34 AM

Another... fucking... scenario.

God-fucking-damnit.  swamp poop

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 09:28:12 AM

There are a lot of things disappointing about this Live event. But the one I just don't understand is, why do this? Why add these classes when there are glaring issues about the game as a whole that are never fixed or addressed? How about instead of some live event to add classes, you make some live event that brings in new EXP leveling changes, fixes open rvr, balances classes, and make the end-game armor sets a lot easier to get?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 09:47:53 AM

I have no problem with them introducing the new classes, as I think Empire really needs a tank from the get-go instead of relying on Ironbreakers to fly to Empire areas. But to add another scenario when scenarios are currently killing ORVR? Epic fail. I'd rather see them add a darkness falls type dungeon/RVR area that opens up for the faction with zone control. Oh, and then fix zone control to scale with population.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 09:54:53 AM

I have no problem with them introducing the new classes, as I think Empire really needs a tank from the get-go instead of relying on Ironbreakers to fly to Empire areas. But to add another scenario when scenarios are currently killing ORVR? Epic fail. I'd rather see them add a darkness falls type dungeon/RVR area that opens up for the faction with zone control. Oh, and then fix zone control to scale with population.

We will also be adding a new scenario, Reikland Factory, for Heavy Metal that will only be available to players for the duration of this live event. This scenario will take place in a steam tank factory in the Empire Tier 4 zone of Reikland and see players battling for control of different areas of the factory. This new scenario will be available for players of all levels, on all tiers, but will not contribute to the campaign. Participation in this scenario will give players an extra 10% bonus to their Renown point gain.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 09:56:28 AM

I mean its kind of brilliant. What better way to get people talking and pumped about the game than to add these little gimmick live events. Its much easier than fixing any core issues with class/population/rvr.

I'd like to check them out, but I just can't justify spending 15 dollars for a month for them. They reek of a gimmick and I know after a week the core issues are still going to be there.

I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that are interested in this, would like to check it out, and are trying to justify spending 15 bucks to do it.

edit: oohh nice, a 24 hours ban on VN because I'm voicing my dislike for the two live events. Awesome.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:58:10 AM by waffel »
MerseyMal
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 10:03:57 AM

I know at least two (IRL female) alliance guild members who are looking forward to finally having a female tank on Destruction side.

Currently playing STO, DA:O, L4D2 & TF2. Ex-WAR/WoW/LotRO/EVE/CoH/DAoC. http://www.xfire.com/profile/malkomm/
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 10:05:09 AM

First off, Order desperately needs a human tank.  This is a much needed change and will help balance population (what little is left).  Why this is even an event?  I don't know, but it won't interfere with making the other changes we all know WAR needs.  I think those of us still clinging on in hope that WAR will have an RvR revamp miracle patch always going to be disappointed because Mythic just doesn't see it our way.  They are just going to keep dumping these tiny adjustment because, frankly, they have no idea what they did wrong so they don't know how to fix it.  So they are in "making chili" mode where they slowly add different ingredients hoping to stumble on what tastes great.

"Me am play gods"
Ashmodai
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 11:13:18 AM

First off, Order desperately needs a human tank.  This is a much needed change and will help balance population (what little is left).  Why this is even an event?  I don't know, but it won't interfere with making the other changes we all know WAR needs.  I think those of us still clinging on in hope that WAR will have an RvR revamp miracle patch always going to be disappointed because Mythic just doesn't see it our way.  They are just going to keep dumping these tiny adjustment because, frankly, they have no idea what they did wrong so they don't know how to fix it.  So they are in "making chili" mode where they slowly add different ingredients hoping to stumble on what tastes great.

There's just way too much broken with the game to be worrying about adding 2 new classes which aren't all that important - all it will mean is 10 vs 10 KotBS vs BG Nordenwatch (and beyond) for a few weeks, and all of the problems with the endgame will still be there.

Do we really need more tanks?  KotBS is the mirror of Chosen, Chosen are pretty gimp, so while the appearance might attract people unless they are a more powerful mirror (sorta like BO is to SM) then having 6 crappy tank classes in every scenario isn't going to do us a whole lot of good.

I say stick to working on the real problems.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 11:14:45 AM

I know at least two (IRL female) alliance guild members who are looking forward to finally having a female tank on Destruction side.

Not having one from the outset soured me on Destruction in a big way.

God Save the Horn Players
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 11:20:14 AM

I realize the scenario will only be available for a few weeks. That just means instead of Tor Anroc and Serpent's Passage grinding, it'll be this factory being ground at all levels, unless it sucks, then it's just one more scenario that won't pop.

runagate
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 12:41:30 PM

I realize the scenario will only be available for a few weeks. That just means instead of Tor Anroc and Serpent's Passage grinding, it'll be this factory being ground at all levels, unless it sucks, then it's just one more scenario that won't pop.

They're introducing more Scenarios because they realize how unrewarding oRvR is, both with Renown and Loot; so they're catering to the largest portion of their player base left in hopes of retaining people with shiny things.  ORvR is deeply flawed in this game, ranging from the futility of defense to the complete lack of reward for offense, beyond that there is no lockout on a keep take, so it ends up being flipped the moment your warband moves on to the next objective.

Hopefully the factory doesn't have a bullshit camp with insta-gib PvE guards that one side can cower behind.
greydor
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 04:04:05 PM

hey everyone my first post here
got a email form Blizzard for 10 free days on my old account haven't played in 2 years
made me think tho would it be a good idea for Mythic to give their canceled subs 10 free days starting the 16th to see the improvements in the game
man i wanted this game to be good
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 04:28:59 PM

This is....really weird.
It's their way of helping prop up their server pop numbers this quarter so when the analysts ask at the next earnings call they can say "look how busy our servers were!...please don't tank our stock..."
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 04:41:03 PM

Bloodworth posting game news in graveyard subforum, where rest of thread then talks about how much it either sucks or that they don't care?

Game officially dead.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 04:48:38 PM

They're introducing more Scenarios because they realize how unrewarding oRvR is, both with Renown and Loot; so they're catering to the largest portion of their player base left in hopes of retaining people with shiny things.  ORvR is deeply flawed in this game, ranging from the futility of defense to the complete lack of reward for offense, beyond that there is no lockout on a keep take, so it ends up being flipped the moment your warband moves on to the next objective.

Hopefully the factory doesn't have a bullshit camp with insta-gib PvE guards that one side can cower behind.

This could be a really neat idea, in my opinion.  A lot of the problems with scenarios crop up because they're connected to the zone capture mechanic.  Can't have cross server scenarios (like in WoW), can't have, say, a tier 3 version of Gates of Ekrund, can't just keep cycling players through maps (the way, say, TF2 does) without requeueing (I have no idea how to spell that).  Disconnecting scenarios from the victory point system seems like it could be a good move.

Although the quote "players who want to get to the Elite level will need to log in each day and complete on the daily event" sets off a number of warning bells for me...
Zupa
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 06:51:03 PM

Is is possible that this new scenario will be more keep attack / defense style and less murderball style?

I hope so, but if it's only temporary, then it's probably going to bite the big one.

Personally I can handle 50 cents a day to hang in there and see.  I had so much fun when I started playing that I'll be around for a few more months regardless of how badly they cock it up.  That and I don't really have an alternative game that I'm interested at the moment....

It's meant to be "War is Everywhere!", not "Grind, Bitches!".
        - UnSub 25/10/2008
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 06:57:20 PM

This scenario will take place in a steam tank factory in the Empire Tier 4 zone of Reikland and see players battling for control of different areas of the factory.

This scenario will take place in a steam tank factory in the Empire Tier 4 zone of Reikland and see players battling for control of different areas of the factory.

It's nordenwatch v2.

Nice to see that they didn't give a fuck to the "oh hay, make a scenario that, y'know, sorta simulates oRvR" suggestions.

The temporary thing is just a trick; if it's even moderately successful and there aren't too many glaring bugs, they'll say that "due to overwhelming demand, we'll make it permanent".

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 07:26:06 PM

I'm just grabbing this post as representative of a theme...

This release has been planned from no doubt before launch when it was announced the cuts would take place. While I'm sure people are scrambling around trying to get things fixed, the bulk of the work on this would already be done. The classes were promised as free content, so it looks good for Mythic to put them out as free content.

I actually like the idea of temporary scenarios - they can break up the tedium of the existing scenarios for while and the maps could be cycled to keep things fresh(er) and replace scenarios that have gone into the shop for some work.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 08:04:43 PM

Mythic has made some stupid decisions in the past month, but I do not think this qualifies as one of them.  New content is rarely a bad thing.
runagate
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 08:16:11 PM

Mythic has made some stupid decisions in the past month, but I do not think this qualifies as one of them.  New content is rarely a bad thing.

Absolutely. But if you think about it, this just further reinforces how monumentally stupid it was to release the game when they did.  If these classes were so close to live implementation, why not give the game another two months of polish and release a product that could steal away a chunk of folks already bored with Lich King.

Instead, the content patch reintroducing two cut classes is coming just about the time that the vast majority of current and former WoW players will be picking up their copies of LK and traipsing around Northrend.

January release with Blackguard, KoTBS, Slayer and Choppa combined with two more months of focused open beta testing would've done this game a lot of good.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 08:26:50 PM

I suspect the release date (no matter what MJ says) was not their decision.  EA most likely told them to release before WOTLK for marketing reasons.  It doesn't excuse it, but I think it is becoming clear that is what happened.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 11:23:15 PM

I suspect the release date (no matter what MJ says) was not their decision.  EA most likely told them to release before WOTLK for marketing reasons.  It doesn't excuse it, but I think it is becoming clear that is what happened.

Actually I think Mythic delayed their title too many times to delay it again and had done a lot of promotion about the new launch date. Perhaps post-AoC they should have stopped to re-evaluate it again, but I'm sure the feeling was that there would be a bunch of players looking to make the jump to WAR - there is a reason I thought 800k players would be subbing to WAR and that's because I expected WAR would have a similar launch to AoC - and that the game would attract enough attention and be stable enough to launch. And that players would be impressed enough to hang around until the elder end game had been fixed.

At this point, I don't doubt that WAR did well on box sales. However, player retention is going to be a big issue. Remember when this guy said WAR might settle at 250k - 300k subscribers? He seems pretty prescient at this point.

Le0

Email
Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 01:00:18 AM

The expression is "I couldn't care less".

Yes, I don't want them to fix the important stuff any more.  I've moved on, I just want them to fix trivial things now, so at least I'll know they can fix something.

Edit to add.

Also the two missing classes, you know what the majority of those players are doing now?  They are either heavily invested in other classes or they have already quit the game.

Sorry me being Swiss and all sometimes I don't speak well. come back when you know french as well as I know english kkthx

Don't be such a smart ass, I bet you never worked in the gaming industry its easy to say Mythic sucks etc... It is not an easy job, fix will happen I'm sure..
Hmm well considering you base your sayings on nothing but feelings I can't really comment that. Who the fuck are you to say that no one is going forward to play the new tank class...
CecilDK
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 01:17:58 AM

Not being able to do a certain job does not disqualify you from criticizing those who do.

If people claim that they could do better, then by all means criticize their game development prowess.
Le0

Email
Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 01:23:04 AM

Not being able to do a certain job does not disqualify you from criticizing those who do.

If people claim that they could do better, then by all means criticize their game development prowess.

You don't know how to do it, but you can tell them how to do it better? WTF

He doesn't say he can do better he just says they do a shit job.. that is really a constructive argument
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 01:26:19 AM

Sorry me being Swiss and all sometimes I don't speak well. come back when you know french as well as I know english kkthx

Don't be such a smart ass, I bet you never worked in the gaming industry its easy to say Mythic sucks etc... It is not an easy job, fix will happen I'm sure..
Hmm well considering you base your sayings on nothing but feelings I can't really comment that. Who the fuck are you to say that no one is going forward to play the new tank class...

When I start posting in french, feel free to correct me.  Game design is hard?  I didn't say that no one was looking forward to playing the new tank classes, I said "who the fuck cares" with regard to grinding up an unlock to play one of the new classes a week earlier. 

I then went on to say that most people who would have played one at release will now have to make the decision if they want start one and go through the level up grind again, or have already quit the game.

I could expand on that and point out how fun it's going to be trying to do a scenario with 10 tanks or how two weeks after the new classes are in the game the starter areas are going to go back to normal.  Also expect a lot of the new tanks to give up and go back to their old character.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Heavy Metal  
Jump to: