Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:03:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Heavy Metal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heavy Metal  (Read 16103 times)
CecilDK
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 01:54:39 AM

Not being able to do a certain job does not disqualify you from criticizing those who do.

If people claim that they could do better, then by all means criticize their game development prowess.

You don't know how to do it, but you can tell them how to do it better? WTF

He doesn't say he can do better he just says they do a shit job.. that is really a constructive argument

As a consumer of their end product, I have every right to criticize them for what I perceive as flaws in their product.

Success and individual enjoyment are obviously not things that can be measured qualitatively or objectively, but to say that I cannot criticize the creator of a product I've paid for is quite bizarre.

"Yeah, the food I've paid for at this restaurant tastes terrible and rubbery but I can't criticize them because I don't know how to cook these dishes."

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 08:36:35 AM

I know at least two (IRL female) alliance guild members who are looking forward to finally having a female tank on Destruction side.
Not having one from the outset soured me on Destruction in a big way.
I still much prefer Destruction, but I am the same as Sjofn.  I do hope they eventually allow female Chosen (and Marauders, though I'm not looking to play one).

Add another woman looking forward to the new tanks.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 08:46:29 AM

Not being able to do a certain job does not disqualify you from criticizing those who do.

If people claim that they could do better, then by all means criticize their game development prowess.

He doesn't say he can do better he just says they do a shit job.. that is really a constructive argument

As a consumer of their end product, I have every right to criticize them for what I perceive as flaws in their product.

Success and individual enjoyment are obviously not things that can be measured qualitatively or objectively, but to say that I cannot criticize the creator of a product I've paid for is quite bizarre.

"Yeah, the food I've paid for at this restaurant tastes terrible and rubbery but I can't criticize them because I don't know how to cook these dishes."

I've always found this to be the stupidest argument in the fanboy arsenal

"I bet you couldn't make a game any better , so until you can STFU"

The mere idea some actually consider that a valid point is amazing
Skullface
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 04:48:43 PM

Mythic has made some stupid decisions in the past month, but I do not think this qualifies as one of them.  New content is rarely a bad thing.

Absolutely. But if you think about it, this just further reinforces how monumentally stupid it was to release the game when they did.  If these classes were so close to live implementation, why not give the game another two months of polish and release a product that could steal away a chunk of folks already bored with Lich King.

Instead, the content patch reintroducing two cut classes is coming just about the time that the vast majority of current and former WoW players will be picking up their copies of LK and traipsing around Northrend.

January release with Blackguard, KoTBS, Slayer and Choppa combined with two more months of focused open beta testing would've done this game a lot of good.

Because the game had already been pushed back 3 times and people were really starting to bitch. The game had a huge following prior to launch, and they wanted to strike while the iron was hot. Is that so hard to believe?
Zupa
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 05:04:19 PM

Why does the game need female chosen?

Does that even fit in with the lore at all?

Personally I think chicks in full plate armor is stupid, I actually like the way you can't have any gender in any class in WAR. 

It's meant to be "War is Everywhere!", not "Grind, Bitches!".
        - UnSub 25/10/2008
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 03, 2008, 05:05:44 AM

yes, there are female Chosen in the lore

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 03, 2008, 05:52:03 AM

Chaos is an equal opportunity employer.    why so serious?

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 03, 2008, 12:32:54 PM

I, for one, am very excited about these classes coming back. A human tank has been desperately needed because right now Order is lacking in the tank department for purely cosmetic reasons (very few want to play midgets or people in dresses and we all know it.)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
ISawDivinity
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 12:57:07 PM

This is obviously Mythic's attempt at countering the release of WotLK. If I was prone to conspiracy theories I might even suggest these classes could have been included at launch but were held back specifically so they would have SOMETHING to try and stave off the butt rape Blizzard is going to impose on them.

Without this event what could they possibly have done to try and counteract November 14th?
ISawDivinity
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 01:00:33 PM

Food is a stupid analogy, it's something thats being created just for you. Of course you can send it back if it comes out shitty. A better analogy would be paying to get into a club called "Nothing but Techno" then bitching because you don't like the music they're playing.
Warskull
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 03, 2008, 01:15:05 PM

Why does the game need female chosen?

Does that even fit in with the lore at all?

Personally I think chicks in full plate armor is stupid, I actually like the way you can't have any gender in any class in WAR. 

You can have female chosen, I think the reason they avoided it was because it would be a very butch, heavy built female and would probably attract a lot of complaints.  After tier 1 they would start looking exactly the same as male chosen anyway.  I find a lot of people dislike most of the female models in this game.  Outside of the Dark Elves, very few are feminine.  Something is off with the elves and the male elves seem more feminine than the female elves.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 03, 2008, 01:49:53 PM

What if Mythic knows these classes will be heavily played.  Launch 2, the rest of the game?  Goes with the marathon theme.
GoodIdea
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 03, 2008, 03:27:25 PM

Having a new live event sounds ok, adding in two additional classes sounds great!

I wish they didn't add another scenario though, even temporarily. Are they listening to their player base?? Argghhh.

I also wish they'd stop working on fun things like Live Events until they have a more concrete design on how the future of the game will look. You don't have to create live events to make more orvr if your game already features a lot of orvr in the first place! They need to work on important things, so the game doesn't completely implode.

Adding two new classes is important and it's exciting for many people and it's a reason to come back to the game. Adding another scenario (to slowly kill open rvr even more) is not.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 04, 2008, 06:56:12 AM

You know, I keep hearing about how WotLK is going to kill WAR but I honestly don't know a single person excited about it. Even my friends who dropped their other games when BC came out seem very meh about Lich King. I wonder if WOW is finally starting to age?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 04, 2008, 07:16:35 AM

I try not to say any game is going to "kill" another, but I can attest that several (4-5) folks from work are dropping WAR for WotLK when it comes out (and I know that's a lame unverifiable statement, I apologize ahead of time). They are in T4 currently and they say it's a lagfest. They aren't canceling, just taking a break on WoW while WAR works itself out (good or bad).

And they are not adding any 'new' classes, they are merely putting the classes back in that they were supposed to go live with, which is a common misconception. Order really needed that Knight and DE really needed that Blackguard on release, would have made things a lot easier for both sides.

My guess it was strategically timed for near WotLK. Marketing wise, the Knight might not have been your most popular class on Order but the Blackguard certainly was for DE. Now, if you were Mythic what would you do in December? Release the Choppa and Slayer (assuming they are taking out the Hammerer per RUMINT).

Good marketing strategy if you ask me. While your players are trying to peek around the curtain to see the little man on the controls, direct their attention to new shiny objects across the room.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 04, 2008, 09:17:08 AM

I should probably clarify. Witch King will hurt. But I don't think it will be as bad as people think. Not on the level that Burning Crusade was to several games I played.

Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 04, 2008, 09:47:16 AM

I would agree with that clarification, but unfortunately for Mythic it means more transfers/mergers. Folks are going to either stick with their guilds and hope for the best doing smallish skirmishes (per your description of the fight that you had) or think that Mythic is losing even more folks at a drastic rate and bail to possibly pick it up later. When I think of RvR I think of the 100+ per side Relic Raids that we used to have in DAOC. The RvR 'hub' of the Frontier Keeps meant you could form up and roll out to find a fight. Here with the lakes and the "War is everywhere" attitude, that means that war could be anywhere, and good luck finding it.

Look at DAOC, 10 servers are merged under the Devon cluster now? WAR will be around for a long time, it's a niche based game, but I think you will find the same model that you have now in DAOC for WAR except ohhhh 4 years earlier? (within 6 month of release I bet we see these 'clusters')
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 04, 2008, 01:26:26 PM

Yes, because chicks in dental floss makes much more sense...

I like heavily armored, possibly butch, women who look as if they could crush you.  (Other types, too, but that's not the point of this.)  If you don't like them, don't play one.  I, however, do, and currently have no female tank options with Destruction.  Greenskins are out due to lore.  For female characters as a whole that leaves Dark Elves and two caster options with Chaos for me.

I suppose if one wants to keep the number of people willing to play the game down, it's okay to limit options.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Heavy Metal  
Jump to: