Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:45:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Give them enough rope ... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give them enough rope ...  (Read 31695 times)
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 02:33:31 PM

Funny thing for me, I got burned out on my main and played an alt for a while and seduced by the joys of tier 1 I reupped for 3 months.  Then I spent last weekend in the mountains celebrating my anniversary. When I came back I logged in and realized that I really had no urge to play and logged out.  I haven't logged in since.  I don't hate the game but it just doesn't appeal any more.   I wish I had realized this before I reupped. 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 02:45:59 PM

Funny thing for me, I got burned out on my main and played an alt for a while and seduced by the joys of tier 1 I reupped for 3 months.  Then I spent last weekend in the mountains celebrating my anniversary. When I came back I logged in and realized that I really had no urge to play and logged out.  I haven't logged in since.  I don't hate the game but it just doesn't appeal any more.   I wish I had realized this before I reupped. 

Heh.. I was on vacation all last week.  I got back and have no desire to log in, at all.  I even made an alt and got bored after lvl 3.  I might check it out again in six months, see what's what.
runagate
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 29, 2008, 12:24:11 AM

My WoW guild has a handful of Mythic employees in its ranks and each of them is up to 6+ days inactivity in our WAR guild; all the while maintaining a steady presence back in WoW knocking out year old content, gearing alts and playing with new talent toys.  I suppose that's as good an proof to the 'if x sucks people will return to shittheyplayedbeforex' statement.

I don't think I did that math thing right.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 01:24:44 AM

In tests, eight out of ten Mythic developers preferred World of Warcraft.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 07:08:23 AM

WAR makes me want to reactivate my DAoC subs.  I guess that says something. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008, 07:55:31 AM

Too bad Mythic didn't just do DAOC v. 2.

Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper?
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 08:00:22 AM

What I think is most sad, is the WAR subforum is full of "What went wrong" threads, while the WOW subforum is full of stuff like "OMG ZOMBIES!"

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 08:32:21 AM

[edited - pointing out the obvious is pointless and unnecessary]
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #43 on: October 29, 2008, 10:56:03 AM

I really wish they had done that. I really loved the setting of DAoC. Although seeing them cock up WAR makes me think DAoC 2 would have some "We learned the wrong lessons from DAoC" in it that makes me sour on the whole idea.

SIGH

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 29, 2008, 04:39:16 PM

I really wish they had done that. I really loved the setting of DAoC. Although seeing them cock up WAR makes me think DAoC 2 would have some "We learned the wrong lessons from DAoC" in it that makes me sour on the whole idea.

SIGH

Plus, we would be all separated again  sad

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #45 on: October 30, 2008, 03:49:01 AM

SIGH

Plus, we would be all separated again  sad

Nuh uh, we're all playing Midgard. Even you.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 30, 2008, 04:38:13 AM

I prefer the greenwash to the greywash!

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #47 on: October 30, 2008, 03:03:29 PM

Too bad.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 30, 2008, 11:24:00 PM

You could be a bard!  awesome, for real

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 31, 2008, 06:37:45 AM

But can Bards pick up loot bags?

Over and out.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 31, 2008, 08:16:32 AM

In daoc, all they ever did was jump up and down, same goes for minstrels, and whatever shitty musician class the other realm had. Skald. What the fuck is a Skald anyway?

Psychologists could have carved entire careers out of the need that musician class players felt to jump up and down on the spot in DAoC. Weirdos.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 31, 2008, 08:17:35 AM

This.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 31, 2008, 08:19:25 AM

Actually, I loved my skald character...
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 31, 2008, 08:32:20 AM

In daoc, all they ever did was jump up and down, same goes for minstrels, and whatever shitty musician class the other realm had. Skald. What the fuck is a Skald anyway?

Psychologists could have carved entire careers out of the need that musician class players felt to jump up and down on the spot in DAoC. Weirdos.

That was an inside joke.

My Minstrel was very active, by the way.  I'm not sure where you're going with the 'jump up and down' thing; I never saw that when I played.  And Skalds were Viking poets.

Over and out.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 31, 2008, 09:46:16 AM

Sure. Viking poets who jumped up and down all the time.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #55 on: October 31, 2008, 03:14:15 PM

Not as well as I could as a skald, baby.

Also, the only people I remember jumping up and down incessantly were kobolds. Universally across class.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 31, 2008, 04:02:39 PM

Also, the only people I remember jumping up and down incessantly were kobolds. Universally across class.

Nope, minstrels and bards just jumped because wtf else are they gonna do.  All of their stuff is instant and they don't melee.  So they just jump around.  Skalds didn't jump though, because they were too busy hitting stuff instead of running around in circles jumping all over the place.  They were much fun.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 31, 2008, 10:41:34 PM

Not as well as I could as a skald, baby.

It's hard to see over all the trolls.  sad

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 03, 2008, 07:19:59 AM

Nope, minstrels and bards just jumped because wtf else are they gonna do.  All of their stuff is instant and they don't melee.  So they just jump around.  Skalds didn't jump though, because they were too busy hitting stuff instead of running around in circles jumping all over the place.  They were much fun.

I don't know what Minstrels you played with but I would melee with mine all the time.  Slash specced Highlander, baby!  Oh, and the ablative shield song rocked the Casbah.

Over and out.
Willias
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 03, 2008, 08:12:45 AM

After playing more modern MMOs, that game is painful to go back to.

I wonder why slowing down movement speed when strafing or jumping was considered a good idea.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 03, 2008, 08:21:48 AM

I wonder why slowing down movement speed when strafing or jumping was considered a good idea.

Are you suggesting that players should be able to move the same speed laterally as they can forward and back?  Seems a bit unrealistic.  I know I can go a hell of a lot faster forward than I can side-to-side.

Also, I don't recall jumping altering my speed ever. 

DAoC is dated, but it is still an example of a decently made MMO that is quite enjoyable and comeptitive at the highest level.  It, like WAR, just requires groups of other players for enjoyment. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #61 on: November 03, 2008, 09:19:41 AM

After playing more modern MMOs, that game is painful to go back to.

In EQ you could run FASTER by strafing and jumping than you could straight running.  Mythic promised to avoid this bit of "BS" in their PVP game after many whines from EQ-ers who apparently didn't undersand they could to the same thing to catch the folks running from them.

( Side note: I learned last night you can run faster in wow by jumping as you go along when a Dranei in my group bunny-hopped past me as we were exiting an instance.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: November 03, 2008, 09:42:37 AM

In EQ you could run FASTER by strafing and jumping than you could straight running.

Poor man's SoW.
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: November 03, 2008, 10:02:43 AM

( Side note: I learned last night you can run faster in wow by jumping as you go along when a Dranei in my group bunny-hopped past me as we were exiting an instance.)

You're absolutely sure he just didn't have a speed enchantment on his boots?

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: November 03, 2008, 11:29:27 AM

You're absolutely sure he just didn't have a speed enchantment on his boots?

Or a run speed Meta socket.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 03, 2008, 12:00:56 PM

I too have returned to WoW (part time). I found my Trinity Bars was no longer supported, cried a little on the inside, and then actually enjoyed finding a new bar mod to work on. I had more fun doing that mind numbingly UI fix then I have on my 34 WP grinding out XP because no Scenarios pop and there is very little RvR.

I cannot fathom how Mythic would allow its current RvR model to remain in game. If I was Mythic, or Mark Jacobs, I would scrap my RvR system completely in WAR deal with the crybabies and go back to your true money maker, DAOC RvR. I would yank all Scenarios post T2 (do you really need them? you should know your class role in RvR by then) implement keep siege and defense directly from your money maker DAOC and call it a day. Let folks knock holes in the keep holes. Let folks take nearby towers to siege from, DAOC RvR was a blast... even 5+ years after release through the painful ToA expansion and omgwtf artifacts.

My g/f refuses to play, she was screwed by Mythic too many times (Midgard Beserker) and I should have learned better (Midgard Shadowblade, my poor poor Shadowblade). Ah well, I am still holding out for 1.1 but not relying on it to fix anything.
GoodIdea
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: November 03, 2008, 01:29:29 PM

My g/f refuses to play, she was screwed by Mythic too many times (Midgard Beserker) and I should have learned better (Midgard Shadowblade, my poor poor Shadowblade). Ah well, I am still holding out for 1.1 but not relying on it to fix anything.

I hope they fix something in the next patch, my server is slowly dying from lack of orvr and scens are hardly popping. Has anyone even attempted a fortress siege since "the fix" they did?

The longer they wait to fix zone locking and the longer they wait to increase XP (overall), the more customers they will lose and the more server balancing they will have to do later. They are working hard and fixing things quickly but showing a severe lack of foresight. Did the beta testers not clue into what could possibly happen? Sigh.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:43:28 AM by GoodIdea »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: November 04, 2008, 06:43:07 AM

I hope they fix something in the next patch, my server is slowly dying from lack of orvr and scens are hardly popping. Has anyone even attempted a fortress siege since "the fix" they did?

The longer they wait to fix zone locking and the longer they wait to increase XP (overall), the most server balancing they will have to do later. They are working hard and fixing things quickly but showing a severe lack of foresight. Did the beta testers not clue into what could possibly happen? Sigh.

What tier are you in and what kind of pop numbers? We had massive, massive oRVR battles on Ostermark last night.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 04, 2008, 07:07:52 AM

What side are you on for Ostermark?

I am T4 (34 WP) but unfortunately my computer is a slide show in keep defense/siege. I didn't want to have to do a major overhaul on a decent system just to play in massive RvR but... we'll see.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: November 04, 2008, 09:19:15 AM

I'm on Order. And yeah, things get a bit laggy. I seem to remember DAOC did this too but I wasn't in that game long enough to know if they fixed it.

Edit: By massive I mean roughly 2 full wargroups plus some solos on the Order side and 20-30 Destro.

On a funny note, Order only won the PQ because a single destruction player repeatedly charged into our lines. We were actually cheering when we'd see him come running back onto the battlefield. The rest of destruction was just sitting back by their camp and staying out of the PQ area.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:21:07 AM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Give them enough rope ...  
Jump to: