Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:31:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102095 times)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #12075 on: November 01, 2011, 01:46:11 PM

The only thing I wish they would allow is the ability to mess with the placement and size of the UI.  I did enjoy not having all the crap that I use in WoW though, no DBM, cooldown timer addon's, etc.  I didn't miss them at all and the game looks good enough to me that I don't want all that stuff on my screen anyway.

I think even if they do end up allowing it I'm going to keep myself as pure as possible.  I just hope that their raid content isn't as batshit stupid as WoW's where you almost need a DBM just to keep track of everything.

Here's the thing about DBM though. Somewhere along the way, the WoW devs accepted the fact that raiders were running DBM (or something like it). Almost every special boss move or encounter event is accompanied by a graphical signal or a vocal emote that comes from the game. Most of these moves also get warnings from the addons, but they're almost redundant now. I first noticed this during the ICC raid in the last expansion, (specifically, the Sindragosa fight,) but the devs might have started doing this in previous raid tiers.

I can think of one fight since then where I was actually watching a DBM cooldown.

My point is that boss fights can be designed to be challenging, but without making something like DBM really useful.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12076 on: November 01, 2011, 01:48:16 PM

Yeah, WoW leaves a bunch of unnecessary version-to-version patch files on the drive for things like repairs, reinstalls, etc. You can safely delete all those if you need the space.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #12077 on: November 01, 2011, 01:51:31 PM

Last build I saw was 27 GB.  This was two weeks ago?  I am not sure it will get much larger before release.  Maybe 30? 

Or was that TB...

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #12078 on: November 01, 2011, 01:58:56 PM

Check your in boxes come Wednesday or Thursday, they are gearing up for a big influx of testers.

You say things like this to hurt me, don't you?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12079 on: November 01, 2011, 02:02:11 PM

I'm trying to give you and everyone hope!

Everyone but Ingmar.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12080 on: November 01, 2011, 02:03:40 PM

I'm trying to give you and everyone hope!

15 yd penalty for taunting!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12081 on: November 01, 2011, 02:06:14 PM

Fuck all betas. If I wanted to play half finished bugridden star wars games I'd reinstall kotor2.

Anyway, if the download is anything over 3Gb it might as well actually be 138Gb out here in darkest Africa.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12082 on: November 01, 2011, 02:07:39 PM

I'll just be buying a box from a store myself.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #12083 on: November 01, 2011, 02:14:34 PM

I am sort of curious how long it takes to go from final build to store distribution.  What kind of turn around is that typically? 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #12084 on: November 01, 2011, 02:15:40 PM

Amazon be shipping to me house.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12085 on: November 01, 2011, 02:15:50 PM

I want to say at least 3 weeks, but that's entirely out of my ass with no actual knowledge or experience in such things.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12086 on: November 01, 2011, 02:16:08 PM

It's a MMO so it doesn't matter.  The final disk will get patched if it's burned today or at the very last minute prior to pressing and shipping 3mil disks for Dec 20.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #12087 on: November 01, 2011, 02:16:27 PM

Fuck all betas. If I wanted to play half finished bugridden star wars games I'd reinstall kotor2.

Anyway, if the download is anything over 3Gb it might as well actually be 138Gb out here in darkest Africa.

Next month they are installing running water at your place right?
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #12088 on: November 01, 2011, 02:31:40 PM

It's a MMO so it doesn't matter.  The final disk will get patched if it's burned today or at the very last minute prior to pressing and shipping 3mil disks for Dec 20.

I know that.  The estimation is just a curiosity on lead time.  If it is around 3 weeks the beta testers have to be damn close to the build that will be seen at home (minus the day1 mega patch).
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12089 on: November 01, 2011, 02:34:49 PM

I'm sure the art assets are basically done at this point. It's all mechanics now.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12090 on: November 01, 2011, 03:00:25 PM

We are not having the hard drive space argument again  Beating a Dead Horse  Mob

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #12091 on: November 01, 2011, 03:04:46 PM

We are pulling out all the stops to hit page 400.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12092 on: November 01, 2011, 03:20:41 PM

I'm sure the art assets are basically done at this point. It's all mechanics now.

Yeah that's my understanding of things, too.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #12093 on: November 01, 2011, 03:22:46 PM

The most vocal and annoying people in any MMO community aren't the ones completing max level content, posting actual strategy, or hitting high level pvp goals.

It's always the 10% of the playerbase that really REALLY wants to be that good, but actually doesn't do anything but the baseline normal content, and wants to tell the rest of the world to L2P. It's always a fun experiment to see who tells the people in the WoW forums that Cataclysm wasn't hard enough. 99% of the time, it's a person who has never run a successful heroic level raid in their life. They beat the normal stuff, declared themselves done, and post that the game was simplistic.
That reminds me, I'm pretty sure that TotalBiscuit is going to be playing/youtubing SWTOR.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #12094 on: November 01, 2011, 03:25:27 PM

Last build I saw was 27 GB.  This was two weeks ago?  I am not sure it will get much larger before release.  Maybe 30?  

Or was that TB...

The old build that ended last month is still sitting on my hard drive at 21 GB. I think I ended up having to download about 17 of it.

Edit:

On that note, I actually got around to preordering SWTOR. Huh, I guess I am getting old; I didn't know that Amazon did release-day shipping for like $1.
I think I forgot to tick that box on my amazon order, but with the head start it shouldn't be an issue, since I'll have to get that through origin, anyway.

You don't have to use Origin for anything unless you ordered through them.  

And unless it's changed in the past month, you don't have to use Origin for TOR even if you order through it; you download everything via the TOR client.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:31:00 PM by koro »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12095 on: November 01, 2011, 03:34:38 PM

The most vocal and annoying people in any MMO community aren't the ones completing max level content, posting actual strategy, or hitting high level pvp goals.

It's always the 10% of the playerbase that really REALLY wants to be that good, but actually doesn't do anything but the baseline normal content, and wants to tell the rest of the world to L2P. It's always a fun experiment to see who tells the people in the WoW forums that Cataclysm wasn't hard enough. 99% of the time, it's a person who has never run a successful heroic level raid in their life. They beat the normal stuff, declared themselves done, and post that the game was simplistic.
That reminds me, I'm pretty sure that TotalBiscuit is going to be playing/youtubing SWTOR.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Yea, TB is probably the most perfect example of this.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #12096 on: November 01, 2011, 03:49:05 PM

Yea, TB is probably the most perfect example of this.
I really wanted to like TB since my first exposure to him was his Shining Force 3 LP I've mentioned before. Then I saw his Cataclysm posts and kinda didn't like him. Then he cried about raid nerfs when he didn't raid at all. Then he tried pulling that shit on the SA forums and everyone pretty much called him a retard and ran him off.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12097 on: November 01, 2011, 04:10:39 PM

TB is great as long as he isn't giving his actual opinion on anything.

I really enjoy him as a SC2 caster when he is casting two pros, or joking about two scrubs or whatever... but when he plays his own SC2 games on ladder and is live commenting them? I fucking want to strangle him.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #12098 on: November 01, 2011, 04:49:32 PM

I like the guy, but watch his "WTF is..." and not much more

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #12099 on: November 01, 2011, 05:12:48 PM

I feel like I missed part of the internet. Who is this Biscuit and why should I care?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12100 on: November 01, 2011, 05:14:48 PM

On that note, I actually got around to preordering SWTOR. Huh, I guess I am getting old; I didn't know that Amazon did release-day shipping for like $1.
I think I forgot to tick that box on my amazon order, but with the head start it shouldn't be an issue, since I'll have to get that through origin, anyway.

You don't have to use Origin for anything unless you ordered through them.  

And unless it's changed in the past month, you don't have to use Origin for TOR even if you order through it; you download everything via the TOR client.
[/quote]

Well what I meant is you have to at least get your game code from Origin, you don't actually need it to download or run the game.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12101 on: November 01, 2011, 06:39:05 PM

I feel like I missed part of the internet. Who is this Biscuit and why should I care?
He's an annoying guy who is popular because he has a British accent.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #12102 on: November 01, 2011, 06:41:32 PM

Think this is his site: http://www.cynicalbrit.com/

I appreciated his run through on Duke Nukem Forever.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12103 on: November 01, 2011, 06:43:03 PM

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #12104 on: November 01, 2011, 07:45:46 PM

A British dude who puts on a fake American friendly British accent (his real accent is some terrible near-cockney thing); did a popular WoW podcast and other shit. Also a goon, but as mentioned when he got into faking being part of the grognard class of WoW he got pretty quickly ran off the boards. He "dropped" covering WoW prolly because he saw the writing on the wall it was going to start its downward descent and is now mostly reviewing random indie games and doing SC2 commentary.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #12105 on: November 01, 2011, 08:35:05 PM

Doesn't he do some Minecraft stuff? Or is that another guy?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12106 on: November 01, 2011, 08:37:53 PM

I always thought totalbisuit was yahtzee.  Shows you what I know.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12107 on: November 01, 2011, 08:42:19 PM

I don't think he's ever played Minecraft.

Are you thinking of the Yogscast maybe?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12108 on: November 01, 2011, 08:50:55 PM

Love Yogscast.

Forget which TB I watched, but I wanted to stab the guy.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #12109 on: November 02, 2011, 03:07:39 AM

I don't think he's ever played Minecraft.

Are you thinking of the Yogscast maybe?

I know TB played Magicka with them (the Yogscast guys are SO BAD AT GAMES), I don't know if he's ever visited them in Minecraft though.

God Save the Horn Players
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: