Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:27:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102183 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7000 on: June 13, 2011, 10:06:57 AM

I saved proof-of-purchases to mail order a Boba Fett action figure when I was a kid. Also, ootini!

I don't begrudge anyone their Star Wars geekdom - goodness knows I'm one of them. Hell, I have an obscure star wars character as my name on these forums (and I've been using online for quite some time).  My objections to TOR have generally been that I don't think it looks like a very good MMORPG.   When it comes down to it though, even I might cave and buy it because I loved the KOTOR games and would probably get the 50 bucks worth for playing it as such.  I've scoffed at that argument elsewhere in this thread, saying stuff like "Meh, an MMO Needs to be more than that" etc, but Star Wars being Star Wars might over ride it in the end.

Also, as people are probably well aware I'm often overly negative on these forums in general, which is as much because generally I come here when I'm fed up with doing X and just want to check out and talk about games for a few minutes...but of course the negativity usually follows me.  So (and I know you all do this already), my grumpy rants should be taken with a grain of salt.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7001 on: June 13, 2011, 10:13:38 AM

I saved proof-of-purchases to mail order a Boba Fett action figure when I was a kid. Also, ootini!
I did, too!  Sadly the version I got had already glued his missile in so it couldn't shoot your eye out.

I picked a class, but I figure when I get the game, I'll make several classes.  I like lightsabers, so both the Sith are likely.  The Inquisitor video was the best of the lot and it's purple, so I changed to it from the other Sith for the roster.

The initial stories and gameplay will determine what becomes my main.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7002 on: June 13, 2011, 10:55:05 AM

I've scoffed at that argument elsewhere in this thread, saying stuff like "Meh, an MMO Needs to be more than that" etc, but Star Wars being Star Wars might over ride it in the end.

It needs to be the other way actually.   We need an endless stream of good MMO's that are nothing more than that so I can hop from one to another and thus avoid retarded catass endgame.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7003 on: June 13, 2011, 11:00:40 AM

I actually wanna be a Trooper, but until this thing goes live and we a Republic-side guild going, I'll take the Trooper equivalent.

Besides, like was mentioned earlier, Bounty Hunter Voiced by Big-O's Smith?   awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7004 on: June 13, 2011, 12:29:29 PM

I picked my class before this game was even confirmed, really. I want to be Han Solo goddammit. Well. Hannah Solo. But whatever!

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7005 on: June 13, 2011, 01:08:24 PM

Whatever, I picked MY class before the game even existed!

NYAH!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #7006 on: June 13, 2011, 01:16:43 PM

So I haven't been interested in this game... I'll get it, play it, but really no interest in it so far. As far as race/class, are we able to make droids? I really have no clue.  swamp poop

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #7007 on: June 13, 2011, 01:21:33 PM

So I haven't been interested in this game... I'll get it, play it, but really no interest in it so far.

Head scratch

The Lord of the Land approaches..
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #7008 on: June 13, 2011, 01:48:27 PM

Head scratch

It's f13, buy every MMO day one and quit two weeks later  why so serious?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7009 on: June 13, 2011, 01:49:49 PM

So I haven't been interested in this game... I'll get it, play it, but really no interest in it so far.

Head scratch

We can't stop and think here, this is Bat Country.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #7010 on: June 13, 2011, 01:54:41 PM

We can't stop and think here, this is Bat Country.

It is an apropos guild name for this bunch (myself included).

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Cepheus
Terracotta Army

Reply #7011 on: June 13, 2011, 03:50:37 PM

So I haven't been interested in this game... I'll get it, play it, but really no interest in it so far. As far as race/class, are we able to make droids? I really have no clue.  swamp poop
So far, no the race classes are very limited too. You basically can only look like a human/near human. The most exotic races so far are Sith pure bloods and twileks. SWG had much more interesting races at launch and even more with jump to light speed.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7012 on: June 13, 2011, 03:52:11 PM

For the people wondering where Cepheus came from, he is a friend of mine.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7013 on: June 13, 2011, 04:02:14 PM

So I haven't been interested in this game... I'll get it, play it, but really no interest in it so far. As far as race/class, are we able to make droids? I really have no clue.  swamp poop
So far, no the race classes are very limited too. You basically can only look like a human/near human. The most exotic races so far are Sith pure bloods and twileks. SWG had much more interesting races at launch and even more with jump to light speed.
YES NEED TO PLAY THE ITS A TRAP FISH GUY  Ohhhhh, I see.

Though I do wish my BH could be Trandoshan again.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7014 on: June 13, 2011, 04:06:28 PM

So I haven't been interested in this game... I'll get it, play it, but really no interest in it so far. As far as race/class, are we able to make droids? I really have no clue.  swamp poop
YES NEED TO PLAY THE ITS A TRAP FISH GUY  Ohhhhh, I see.

Though I do wish my BH could be Trandoshan again.

Bossk was always underrated IMO.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7015 on: June 13, 2011, 04:07:38 PM

The rumor is there's one more race to be revealed: some kind of cyborg class  swamp poop

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7016 on: June 13, 2011, 04:15:50 PM

Bossk was always underrated IMO.
Ascii should be allowed to play IG-88.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7017 on: June 13, 2011, 04:58:13 PM

Bossk was turned into such a fumbling joke in the EU. It was the first inklings I got that the EU was going to be total and complete shit. (This was back in 92, 93 when it all started up again.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7018 on: June 13, 2011, 04:59:50 PM

Bossk was turned into such a fumbling joke in the EU. It was the first inklings I got that the EU was going to be total and complete shit. (This was back in 92, 93 when it all started up again.)

Luckily my "must read everything in the EU" phase only lasted about a year back in 95 or so and I think I was lucky enough to miss most of the crap during my run.  Phew, bullet. dodged.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7019 on: June 13, 2011, 05:08:54 PM

You must have just missed the Tales of the Bounty Hunters book, which is where it came to a head.  It was in Nov, 96 according to Amazon.  There were hints prior to that, though I can't recall them.

Cepheus
Terracotta Army

Reply #7020 on: June 13, 2011, 05:31:41 PM

I skipped most of the EU too. Bossk still cool in my mind. :D

A cyborg? Really? REALLY? ACK!

However C-3PO was a "human cyborg relations" driod... perhaps that could mean droid... though I would not hold my breath.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:36:03 PM by Cepheus »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7021 on: June 13, 2011, 05:46:47 PM

Someone eating blaster shots at point blank range bothers me more.

Can you name a workable solution that doesn't fall apart when fighting multiple people, and that allows you to continue attacking?  

Assassin's Creed 2? Though it's far too late in development to implement something like that in SWTOR.

The "everybody politely takes turns attacking one at a time" combat system?  Which also still uses a health bar?  That's just trading one form of immersion breaking for another, and would look absolutely terrible when you're fighting a bunch of guys with blasters.  It could be kinda cool for Jedi vs. Sith combat, but that's about it.  It also wouldn't work very well in PVP.

I was focused on the sword play, but good point on the blasters. That would suck. But based on what I played it isn't all that great anyway. It's still stand-in-spot casting fireballs that are merely rendered as lasers, with the occasional cover mechanic to buff defense or evade. Assassin's Creed AI is a bit conservative, but they'll attack from flank or behind if you're engaged on a target. It's not perfect (it's fine for an RPG I guess) but it's a lot better than standing in one spot smacking each other with clubs rendered as lightsabers.

Separately, screw PvP in an MMO. I play MMOs for the RPG. I get my PvP in all the other genres that are built from the ground up to be better at it. There's some specific conditions that PvP works well in my opinion. But it's usually when levels don't matter, gear matters merely some what, uses a sessions-based system, and a completely separate economy and ranking system. Or, when most of the purpose of the MMO is set aside  Ohhhhh, I see.

But that's just me.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #7022 on: June 13, 2011, 05:56:48 PM

Whatever, I picked MY class before the game even existed!

I picked my class before SWG existed. Which made it very convenient that SWG didn't HAVE my class, so I skip that firing line and set myself up for this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7023 on: June 13, 2011, 06:24:40 PM

I never played SWG either, we should start a club.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #7024 on: June 13, 2011, 07:06:26 PM

I'd sign up for Bat Country but it's always like 30 people actually sign up and play, then half quit the first week, then the remaining over the next two.

I'll be playing with my former WoW guildmates that Cataclysm literally ran off.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7025 on: June 13, 2011, 07:44:57 PM

I'd sign up for Bat Country but it's always like 30 people actually sign up and play, then half quit the first week, then the remaining over the next two.

THIS TIME it will be different.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #7026 on: June 13, 2011, 08:28:06 PM

I get this image of, like, a cataclysm box literally chasing your friends away, and they're forced to run off and live in the woods cause cataclysm will bite their nuts off
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7027 on: June 13, 2011, 08:33:01 PM

THIS TIME it will be different.
Doubtful. The EQ2 guild would've been somewhat active, except the people who stuck around were all into raiding and whatnot, so they joined raid guilds.

I'd like to think we could hold together at least enough folks to run some raids, but history shows our guilds aren't 'serious' enough for mmo players. Bioware seems to be pushing guild alliances, so hopefully those of us who move into raid guilds will keep BC as an ally so we can fill in some raid slots down the road...assuming (HAH) that all these guilds end up on the same server, since there will probably be a pretty massive launch.

Not going to be helped by the schism with a Republic secondary guild running simultaneously.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7028 on: June 13, 2011, 08:45:46 PM

That guild page isn't exactly full of win. Once I sat through five minutes of loading to actually pull up the roster, I tried to find a way to update my profile - no such luck. Apparently I am to be permanently undecided on which class I'm starting with.
It's under "guild application" in My Account.
I'm impressed people have chosen a class already at all.

Guild cleanup note: pending apps from 4 people I don't recognize. Please sound off if it's you:

Kagemushya

That's either your mom or me. First guess doesn't count.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7029 on: June 13, 2011, 09:08:31 PM

and they're forced to run off and live in the woods cause cataclysm will bite their nuts off

This feels like a very good description for Cataclysm.   Frankly if SW:TOR is going to be anything but another single player game to me is totally dependent on them not pulling that sort of stupid shit.   Basically if they don't say FU to the "raiders deserve special fancy gear" crowd I'll be gone once I consume my single player content.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7030 on: June 13, 2011, 09:50:46 PM

Fuck raiders. I was one for a month and will never be one again. I like having a life.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #7031 on: June 13, 2011, 11:14:34 PM

You must have just missed the Tales of the Bounty Hunters book, which is where it came to a head.  It was in Nov, 96 according to Amazon.  There were hints prior to that, though I can't recall them.

To be fair, those books had the best cyborg ever.  You know, the one who had his head removed to mount a laser cannon.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #7032 on: June 14, 2011, 01:10:18 AM

To be fair, those books had the best cyborg ever.  You know, the one who had his head removed to mount a laser cannon.

Is that the Sci-fi equivalent of the Head of Vecna?
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7033 on: June 14, 2011, 01:15:19 AM

Fuck raiders. I was one for a month and will never be one again. I like having a life.

They all have such winning personalities though  why so serious?.  Why would you need a real social life?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7034 on: June 14, 2011, 03:32:40 AM

Honestly I thought that one was incredibly lame.  Mainly because it reminded me of the He-Man "design a character" contest that happened when I was 12.  "The Fearless Photog" won and was exactly that design.  A guy with a cannon for a head. I thought it was lame then and, well...

I just read that winner was also one of the original designers of Halo.  Explains so much.
http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=144916

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: