Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:41:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102350 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6895 on: June 11, 2011, 10:09:58 AM

They said they want a 'hit heavy' game so everyone starts at about 80-90% accuracy.  I guess that helps them time deflections and blocks better?

This is my only complaint really.   I'm a bit tired of this model and would rather see HP bars be replaced with dodge bars or something.   You're dodge bar runs out and you take a blaster to the face or a jedi cuts off your arm.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6896 on: June 11, 2011, 10:15:47 AM

The F13 guild is going lighty, right?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #6897 on: June 11, 2011, 10:16:21 AM

The F13 guild is going lighty, right?

Surprisingly, no. I applied as well, as Kagemushiya, though I doubt I'll play much as a sith. I'm far too good at being evil.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6898 on: June 11, 2011, 10:24:00 AM

Not surprisingly.  The F13 WoW guild was Horde and I'm pretty sure the EQ2 guild was Freeport.  No idea about WAR.

We are predictable in our childishness at times.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #6899 on: June 11, 2011, 10:26:51 AM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #6900 on: June 11, 2011, 10:32:08 AM

Not surprisingly.  The F13 WoW guild was Horde and I'm pretty sure the EQ2 guild was Freeport.  No idea about WAR.

We are predictable in our childishness at times.

EQ2 guild was Qeynos and the Rift guild wasn't defiant, which had the better storyline, go figure.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6901 on: June 11, 2011, 10:55:58 AM

I'm sure there will be a group of lightsiders.  Those of us that had the most interest were quick to pick Empire though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #6902 on: June 11, 2011, 10:59:20 AM

They said they want a 'hit heavy' game so everyone starts at about 80-90% accuracy.  I guess that helps them time deflections and blocks better?
Well, i was thinking more in terms of some smoke and mirrors. Like say, keeping that high accuracy under the hood but just drawing every two out of three shots somewhat off, and the one they'd draw hitting would do 3x the damage each of them does atm. I mean the way they draw it now it looks like 3 bolts a second, at least?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6903 on: June 11, 2011, 11:39:01 AM

I'm sure there will be a group of lightsiders.  Those of us that had the most interest were quick to pick Empire though.
This. I don't really care, but you have to register for a side for the pre-launch thingy and it's one guild per TOR web account.

I like the bounty hunter, but I'd also like to roll a Jedi or whatever. Once the game launches and the server gets chosen, I figured we could set up a second guild for the Republic or something.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6904 on: June 11, 2011, 12:12:57 PM

swamp poop

What exactly is so bad about that?  It's not like I went into detail on some radically different system where you can say "that's dumb".   All I said is I'd rather not see people get hit with a lightsaber without taking major damage.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6905 on: June 11, 2011, 12:38:42 PM

swamp poop

What exactly is so bad about that?  It's not like I went into detail on some radically different system where you can say "that's dumb".   All I said is I'd rather not see people get hit with a lightsaber without taking major damage.

Yeah, hell have it even USE the same life bar for all I care, just have it play dodge or block animations when someone is attacking with a lightsaber (but still have it take life away), until the hit that would kill them.  This would make a HUGE difference in how the game came across to me in gameplay videos.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6906 on: June 11, 2011, 12:44:41 PM

Call it stamina then, as long as your stamina lasts you parry/dodge blaster/lightsabers and when it runs out you die.  Same as a hit point bar, the only thing that changes is the animations.

I am the .00000001428%
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6907 on: June 11, 2011, 12:46:48 PM

Yeah, hell have it even USE the same life bar for all I care, just have it play dodge or block animations when someone is attacking with a lightsaber (but still have it take life away), until the hit that would kill them. 

Yea that was essentially what I meant by dodge bar.   I simply meant they should change the name to something else and then show miss/parry/dodge animations but have them cause "damage" as per the norm.   When you finally get them low you execute a fatality or whatever.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #6908 on: June 11, 2011, 01:25:03 PM

I hope they just add a mind bar, I miss it so much.   why so serious?
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #6909 on: June 11, 2011, 01:48:45 PM

Yeah, hell have it even USE the same life bar for all I care, just have it play dodge or block animations when someone is attacking with a lightsaber (but still have it take life away), until the hit that would kill them.  

Yea that was essentially what I meant by dodge bar.   I simply meant they should change the name to something else and then show miss/parry/dodge animations but have them cause "damage" as per the norm.   When you finally get them low you execute a fatality or whatever.

I think it would look really silly for someone to be waggling from side to side until the "final hit", where they take it in the face an fall down. It's not very "Star Warsy".

Not that the concept is bad. Jedi could have a parry bar, and a block animation until their parry bar is depleted.
Regular dudes usually took cover, and got killed with one hit. They didn't do much dodging.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:51:36 PM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6910 on: June 11, 2011, 01:53:40 PM

I think it would look really silly for someone to be waggling from side to side until the "final hit", where they take it in the face an fall down. It's not very "Star Warsy".

Not that the concept is bad. Jedi could have a parry bar, and a block animation until their parry bar is depleted. That's in the movies.
Regular dudes usually took cover, and got killed with one hit. They didn't do much dodging.

The thing about a Parry bar, and to a lesser extent a dodge bar is that while they'd probably look great when you're just fighting one person (except in cases where you're already in the middle of an attack animation and somebody shoots you), they'd probably completely break down when multiple enemies are attacking you from different directions.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6911 on: June 11, 2011, 02:04:19 PM

Not that the concept is bad. Jedi could have a parry bar, and a block animation until their parry bar is depleted.

I don't expect it to be actually implemented, but I just find it to be real hard to get past a Jedi standing in one spot beating on someone with a lightsaber.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6912 on: June 11, 2011, 03:09:02 PM

Someone eating blaster shots at point blank range bothers me more.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6913 on: June 11, 2011, 03:23:08 PM

Can you name a workable solution that doesn't fall apart when fighting multiple people, and that allows you to continue attacking?  What kind of animation would you suggest if I've got two people shooting at me, a jedi swinging a lightsaber at me from behind, and I'm trying to force lightning an enemy healer?  If I'm not mistaken, even Guild War 2's dodge system is something you have to actively be doing instead of attacking, and if your energy bar runs out it's MMO combat as usual.

Edit: Also, after decades of video games with health bars making what would in reality be a fatal attack, be non-fatal in-game, I'm surprised that all of a sudden this would be the breaking point for people.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:49:03 PM by Velorath »
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6914 on: June 11, 2011, 03:58:46 PM

Can you name a workable solution that doesn't fall apart when fighting multiple people, and that allows you to continue attacking?  What kind of animation would you suggest if I've got two people shooting at me, a jedi swinging a lightsaber at me from behind, and I'm trying to force lightning an enemy healer?  If I'm not mistaken, even Guild War 2's dodge system is something you have to actively be doing instead of attacking, and if your energy bar runs out it's MMO combat as usual.

Edit: Also, after decades of video games with health bars making what would in reality be a fatal attack, be non-fatal in-game, I'm surprised that all of a sudden this would be the breaking point for people.

To me the problem is mainly with light sabers specifically. They don't just cut or stab people, they lop off limbs or cut your clean in half effortlessly.  This is probably one of those things that bothers me more because I like Star Wars a lot.  Look at Jedi Knight, or even Force Unleashed if you must, thats how powerful a Jedi is.  I know that sucks for an MMO and is unworkable, but it still bugs me.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 04:01:13 PM by Malakili »
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #6915 on: June 11, 2011, 04:01:03 PM

Can you name a workable solution that doesn't fall apart when fighting multiple people, and that allows you to continue attacking?  What kind of animation would you suggest if I've got two people shooting at me, a jedi swinging a lightsaber at me from behind, and I'm trying to force lightning an enemy healer?
The game cycles through attackers, so the 1v1 animations can sync and work? Effectively what Assassin's Creed is doing to deal with the same issue. Just because you have two guys with guns and a melee guy attacking together doesn't mean they have to play their attack animations at exactly the same fraction of second.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6916 on: June 11, 2011, 04:52:21 PM

To me the problem is mainly with light sabers specifically. They don't just cut or stab people, they lop off limbs or cut your clean in half effortlessly.  This is probably one of those things that bothers me more because I like Star Wars a lot.  Look at Jedi Knight, or even Force Unleashed if you must, thats how powerful a Jedi is.  I know that sucks for an MMO and is unworkable, but it still bugs me.

You severely underestimate the kill power of real world weapons, modern and ancient.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6917 on: June 11, 2011, 04:56:07 PM

You severely underestimate the kill power of real world weapons, modern and ancient.

No I don't.  As Verlorath said, we have decades of that feeling normal in games though, lightsabers *feel* different to me.  It has nothing to do with rational consideration of how powerful weapons are, it has to do with a fantasy setting and mages with laser swords.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #6918 on: June 11, 2011, 05:54:03 PM

There are a ton of games where Lightsabers aren't portrayed this way, though.  Jedi Knight and TFU were criticised for making Jedi seem too badass, since compared to movie Luke and Vader, who have to concentrate for five minutes to fling a kleenex box across the room, Starkiller is pulling fucking Star Destroyers out of orbit while flinging Tie Fighters into each other with the other hand.  And even in TFU there were plenty of enemies, unless I'm misremembering, who could take retarded amounts of lightsaber punishment.  You even had natives of Felucia blocking your lightsaber attacks with sticks as I recall.  And there are a bunch of other games (like Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds) where Jedi Lightsabers are less effective than blasters.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6919 on: June 11, 2011, 06:04:02 PM

Whatever, I'm really not into getting drawn into this argument any further, I don't give a shit about this game enough.  It bugs me and i'll leave it at that.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #6920 on: June 11, 2011, 06:30:08 PM

There were an awful lot of lopped-off arms and hands in the original movies, but guys getting bisected/impaled/decapitated and shit didn't really come in until the prequels anyway. Certainly there weren't heads and limbs flying everywhere when Luke was raising hell among Jabba's guards in Jedi.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #6921 on: June 11, 2011, 06:42:52 PM

To me the problem is mainly with light sabers specifically. They don't just cut or stab people, they lop off limbs or cut your clean in half effortlessly.  This is probably one of those things that bothers me more because I like Star Wars a lot.  Look at Jedi Knight, or even Force Unleashed if you must, thats how powerful a Jedi is.  I know that sucks for an MMO and is unworkable, but it still bugs me.

Pretty much this, and Star Wars counts too.  I mean, anyone who actually takes a shot from a blaster in the original trilogy is done (Vader somehow deflects some with his hands, but whatever). Greedo looks like someone put him in a giant microwave after one shot.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6922 on: June 11, 2011, 06:58:29 PM

To me the problem is mainly with light sabers specifically. They don't just cut or stab people, they lop off limbs or cut your clean in half effortlessly.  This is probably one of those things that bothers me more because I like Star Wars a lot.  Look at Jedi Knight, or even Force Unleashed if you must, thats how powerful a Jedi is.  I know that sucks for an MMO and is unworkable, but it still bugs me.

Pretty much this, and Star Wars counts too.  I mean, anyone who actually takes a shot from a blaster in the original trilogy is done (Vader somehow deflects some with his hands, but whatever). Greedo looks like someone put him in a giant microwave after one shot.

If someone wants to make a Star Wars MMO with twitch combat and one hit kills, I'm in.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6923 on: June 11, 2011, 07:07:39 PM

Permadeath, too!  awesome, for real
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6924 on: June 11, 2011, 07:23:51 PM

Permadeath, too!  awesome, for real

I was thinking more Planetside: Starwars

But seriously, I loved the KOTOR games, this game just happens to have come along at the worst possible time for me.  5 years ago I would've given my soul for this game.  Today, I just don't care, WoW beat me into submission for this kind of game.  I mean, the cinematics are exciting, the classes are fine, the setting is ideal for a Star Wars MMO if you are going to have one, and for all my bitching about the animations I don't *really* care enough to make me not play the game if I otherwise wanted to.  I'm a star wars junkie, believe it or not I actually *want* to like the game, I just am totally uninspired by what I've seen of the actual game.  If I see some gameplay videos that change my mind, I'll eat 200 pages of words and buy the thing, but I'm not seeing it so far.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:00:55 PM by Malakili »
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6925 on: June 11, 2011, 08:06:23 PM

I'm sure there will be a group of lightsiders.  Those of us that had the most interest were quick to pick Empire though.

I thing Bat Country should go darkside, then aim to get max light side points. "We're the Good Sith" would be the byline.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6926 on: June 11, 2011, 08:27:25 PM

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6927 on: June 11, 2011, 08:36:17 PM

I was thinking more Planetside: Starwars
Persistent world Jedi Knight / Jedi Academy is all I want.  Which could really be the same if you add in vehicles.

I thing Bat Country should go darkside, then aim to get max light side points. "We're the Good Sith" would be the byline.
I don't know about max light side points, but most of my Sith will likely be decent to anyone who isn't trying to screw them over.  Maker help the ones that do, though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6928 on: June 11, 2011, 08:48:32 PM

"Like a good neighbor, our Sith are there."

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #6929 on: June 12, 2011, 02:23:08 AM

There was a new "ruined FOREVER!" announcement: Romance subplots for Jedi is a Dark Side action - which seems to have annoyed the 'roleplayers'.

I also now fully expect a bunch of Jedi running around in whatever ends up being the Goldshire Inn equivalent, decrying the evils of the  Sith-sympathising degenerates around them. awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: