Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:50:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102466 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #5845 on: March 31, 2011, 01:19:06 AM

Grevious cracked me up since he was made out as an unstoppable deathgod in the (actually very good) animated series and every appearance is him killing tons of jedi; powerful ones even.

Then he gets bitched completely and killed inside of 20 seconds in the movie.

If anything, the fight in the movie took too long.

Grievous: MUAHAHA! *cough* I HAVE FOUR LIGHTSABERS BITCH!
Obi-Wan: I has force, LOL! *gesture*
Grievous: *rockets backward into the wall at 200 miles an hour*

Or better yet, just levitate him six inches off the ground and let him sit there kicking his feet in mid-air like a cartoon character trying to suddenly break into a run.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #5846 on: March 31, 2011, 01:47:14 AM

Oh god, my inner and outer nerd recalls something about how technology in the Starwars universe reached pretty much a plateau where it took a really long time to make anything even slightly better.

I mean - once you have hyperdrives, and sentient robots, what's the next step? Making a smaller R2DR?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #5847 on: March 31, 2011, 03:37:21 AM

I've always liked that about SW.  Everyone knows how to operate almost all tech and it's second nature to them.  Now fixing it is a different story.  Also, they don't allow droids in their bars because they are constantly surrounded by tech and sometimes a Bith just wants a drink in peace. 

Don't get me started on Aqualish, those bastards.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5848 on: March 31, 2011, 04:14:38 AM

Grevious cracked me up since he was made out as an unstoppable deathgod in the (actually very good) animated series and every appearance is him killing tons of jedi; powerful ones even.

Or better yet, just levitate him six inches off the ground and let him sit there kicking his feet in mid-air like a cartoon character trying to suddenly break into a run.

Young Obi-wan lacked Mace Windu's insight into how to best handle a cybernetic asshat.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? why so serious?

Then again, even Mace waited until the General was running inside his ship before remembering "oh shit, the Force, right..." instead of trying to hack at him with a lightstick.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5849 on: March 31, 2011, 05:11:54 AM

Yeah, Jedi need to do more of that shit.  The only time we see someone REALLY do it is when Yoda dispatches the Emperor's guards with a bored look on his face.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #5850 on: March 31, 2011, 05:23:34 AM

Who da man? Yoda-man!

Sorry, had to.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5851 on: March 31, 2011, 01:28:27 PM

why even land on the planet? Just use the force to choke Grevious from orbit.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5852 on: March 31, 2011, 02:22:18 PM

Young Obi-wan lacked Mace Windu's insight into how to best handle a cybernetic asshat.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? why so serious?

Then again, even Mace waited until the General was running inside his ship before remembering "oh shit, the Force, right..." instead of trying to hack at him with a lightstick.

Clearly his force meter was recharging.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5853 on: March 31, 2011, 09:54:03 PM

<nerd alert>

In the book version of Ep. III, Yoda sends Obi-Wan because he's the strongest lightsaber duelist in the Order. When Kenobi arrives on Utapau, the room is full of all sorts of droids and Obi-Wan jumps in the middle of them and starts spinning his saber faster and faster until it ramps up into a solid plane, deflecting every shot and detroying every droid in the room. A short time later, when he duels Grievous, Obi-Wan is already pretty drained. Well into the duel, Kenobi uses what's left of his concentration to momentarily seize some of the mechanical pistons in the general's arms, allowing him to cut off a couple hands and avoid getting killed himself. It made more sense in the book version and was probly more fun to read than watch. I might be off on a couple details since it's been a while, but that's how I remember it anyways.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:56:16 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5854 on: April 01, 2011, 04:49:34 AM

Ah, now I remember why I think star wars is stupid.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5855 on: April 01, 2011, 05:13:30 AM

Midichlorians ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5856 on: April 01, 2011, 07:50:03 AM

George Lucas?

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #5857 on: April 01, 2011, 07:59:20 AM

Ewoks.

No wait, that's why it's awesome!

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5858 on: April 01, 2011, 08:02:53 AM

When Kenobi arrives on Utapau, the room is full of all sorts of droids and Obi-Wan jumps in the middle of them and starts spinning his saber faster and faster until it ramps up into a solid plane, deflecting every shot and detroying every droid in the room.

A plane is two dimensional. They couldn't just shoot him from the sides or back?

God, Star Wars is some of the dumbest shit imaginable.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5859 on: April 01, 2011, 08:27:12 AM

You can't rotate something fast enough to make a 'solid' plane, either.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5860 on: April 01, 2011, 09:03:02 AM

The more I look at that space combat, the more it reminds me of Starfox.

Id like SWG:JTL instead.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5861 on: April 01, 2011, 02:29:16 PM

What's wrong with Starfox? I liked that game!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5862 on: April 01, 2011, 02:31:19 PM

When Kenobi arrives on Utapau, the room is full of all sorts of droids and Obi-Wan jumps in the middle of them and starts spinning his saber faster and faster until it ramps up into a solid plane, deflecting every shot and detroying every droid in the room.

A plane is two dimensional. They couldn't just shoot him from the sides or back?

God, Star Wars is some of the dumbest shit imaginable.

I bet he spent a force point!   awesome, for real
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5863 on: April 01, 2011, 02:46:51 PM

What's wrong with Starfox? I liked that game!

It was fine for starfox, its not so fine ( For me ) in my starwars. I prefer free roam, and to fly myself.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #5864 on: April 01, 2011, 07:14:04 PM

I was just thinking;  why did they build the second Death Star in orbit over a remote forest moon such as Endor?  And why did they put their critical shield generator down in the forest?  Because they wanted it protected by the mightiest warriors in the galaxy, the Ewoks!  THAT explains why they defeated the Emperor's best stormtroopers!

I think we're done here.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5865 on: April 01, 2011, 08:05:23 PM

It was fine for starfox, its not so fine ( For me ) in my starwars. I prefer free roam, and to fly myself.
Red Nine, I've got a bogie on my six....Red Nine? REEEED NIIIIII.....scrackkssssssshhhh
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5866 on: April 01, 2011, 08:11:13 PM

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5867 on: April 01, 2011, 08:14:43 PM

He should have done a barrel roll.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5868 on: April 01, 2011, 10:03:15 PM

Red Nine, I've got a bogie on my six....Red Nine? REEEED NIIIIII.....scrackkssssssshhhh

Please keep in mind one of the last games i worked on :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM4MBpCSiNo

Nothing but love for starfox  tongue

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5869 on: April 02, 2011, 12:51:00 PM

Nah, the "technology had reached its limits" argument doesn't hold in view of all the new weapons that keep being invented, from AoE ion cannons to the various planetary destruction systems.

I agree with the lack of imagination theory.  Consider, for example, that Star Wars has sentience-levels of AI housed in the (small size of the) droids, but there's no Matrix-like entity on any planet.  A lot of the technology is "stuck" that shouldn't be stuck.  The lack of an ongoing race between weapon systems and defense systems, the lack of a Moore's Law, and the absence of military (naval? space?) tactics that put the ships to use in a way that makes sense are disturbing. 

The real world explanation for this is simple, Star Wars was invented in the 70s and so it is stuck in that type of Sci-fi. Now, if Star Wars had been created today you'd probably see networks and such much more than you do. Now, the in-universe explanation? No idea.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5870 on: April 02, 2011, 08:39:02 PM

The real world explanation for this is simple, Star Wars was invented in the 70s and so it is stuck in that type of Sci-fi. Now, if Star Wars had been created today you'd probably see networks and such much more than you do. Now, the in-universe explanation? No idea.

That, and it makes Star Wars different from any other sci-fi story. I like that kind of sci-fi just fine, but Star Wars throws all that technobabble nonsense (or it did in the first three movies  swamp poop midichlorians, jesus wept) to the curb and makes with the pew pew zzzrooom adventure stuff. Let the nerds wring their hands over stupid crap so we can see Dambusters in space.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5871 on: April 02, 2011, 08:51:12 PM

They're not robots, they're golems. Rabble rabble fantasy not sci-fi etc.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #5872 on: April 03, 2011, 06:38:24 PM

That, and it makes Star Wars different from any other sci-fi story. I like that kind of sci-fi just fine, but Star Wars throws all that technobabble nonsense (or it did in the first three movies  swamp poop midichlorians, jesus wept) to the curb and makes with the pew pew zzzrooom adventure stuff. Let the nerds wring their hands over stupid crap so we can see Dambusters in space.

AMEN.  I mean I love dissecting SW as much as the next guy, but it's a space fantasy that's simple and iconic.

Edit:  Grammar
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:22:16 AM by Tannhauser »
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #5873 on: April 03, 2011, 07:01:29 PM

They did catch up with the cellphone fad at least in the prequels Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5874 on: April 03, 2011, 08:29:36 PM

'slicing'
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5875 on: April 04, 2011, 01:00:59 AM

'slicing'

Every SW novel writer should be shot into the sun.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #5876 on: April 04, 2011, 02:44:51 AM

For some reason you can't just have a thing in Star Wars without changing it's name to be different. It's not hacking, it's slicing. It's not coffee, it's caf. I'm frankly shocked that hot chocolate got to be hot chocolate and not... hot spacechoc or something.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5877 on: April 04, 2011, 05:18:34 AM

I don't know, I would blatantly approve of 'younglingcide'
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #5878 on: April 04, 2011, 08:13:39 AM

That, and it makes Star Wars different from any other sci-fi story. I like that kind of sci-fi just fine, but Star Wars throws all that technobabble nonsense (or it did in the first three movies  swamp poop midichlorians, jesus wept) to the curb and makes with the pew pew zzzrooom adventure stuff. Let the nerds wring their hands over stupid crap so we can see Dambusters in space.

SW is fantasy in space. There is no technology  -everything is just magic, with humans in funny in suits passing as "aliens".  That's why I quickly fell out of  love with it once I hit late teens. SW has no logical and solid foundation,  its like cheap action "sci-fi" pretty  pew pew, but  no substance . It requires turn your brains off (not just suspension of disbelief)t to no  be annoyed by myriad of inconsistencies , self contradictions  and logical flaws in literally every single frame, narrative or episode. Just one big clusterfuck with shiny lasers .

But pretty it is!

p.s. And things became tons worse since Ep6 . 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:20:48 AM by Dark_MadMax »
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5879 on: April 04, 2011, 09:38:50 AM

For some reason you can't just have a thing in Star Wars without changing it's name to be different. It's not hacking, it's slicing. It's not coffee, it's caf. I'm frankly shocked that hot chocolate got to be hot chocolate and not... hot spacechoc or something.

Ducks and mops are ok though.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: