Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:33:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102064 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5040 on: December 03, 2010, 02:12:46 PM

I avoid these problems by having an understanding SO who is perfectly happy to veg out with her favorite TV show while I game, and by having no close by relatives or social life  awesome, for real
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #5041 on: December 04, 2010, 04:40:29 PM

Disappointing diary.  He described every other crafting system in existence.  "You take gathered, vendor, and rare resources and make an item!"  I'm awed.
Well, having to literally kiss up to your NPC companions for crafting speed bonus is pretty unique.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #5042 on: December 04, 2010, 07:45:41 PM

What would be nice would be if they make it so our companions can hear what we're saying to each other, so that we can't go around doing and saying things specifically to please each companion, without other companions being aware as well.  That is to say, make it so the companions will see through any transparent ploy to tell them exactly what they want to hear, without having our actions match our words.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5043 on: December 06, 2010, 07:31:49 AM

I'm operating under the assumption that we'll have a large, friendly and highly active Bat Country guild to help maximize our fun. awesome, for real

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5044 on: December 06, 2010, 07:37:13 AM

Hah, yeah. For about a week.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5045 on: December 06, 2010, 12:42:37 PM

Oh ye of little faith.

Two weeks.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5046 on: December 06, 2010, 04:34:42 PM

Though for two years after that there will be a very active group of ex-players on hand to explain how the game sucks monkey balls. So that'll be nice.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5047 on: December 07, 2010, 02:48:58 AM

I consider that an advantage. If you join an F13 guild you can comfortably stop playing in a month with a statement like "Well it's a standard diku mechanic with poor stickyness due to mechanic X" and they'll nod, understand and have expected it.

Some of the guilds you join are actually waaay too determined to sacrifice their life to it and intolerant of any criticism. Just see some of the high level people on the FFXIV forums still defending the game.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5048 on: December 07, 2010, 03:12:15 AM

On the other hand the bitter and jaded old MMO vet routine we get into so much here gets a little old after a while too.  Sometimes it's more fun to be around cute and adorable little puppy people who haven't been completely burned out on the the whole genre yet.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5049 on: December 07, 2010, 06:34:27 AM

On the other hand the bitter and jaded old MMO vet routine we get into so much here gets a little old after a while too.  Sometimes it's more fun to be around cute and adorable little puppy people who haven't been completely burned out on the the whole genre yet.

I find that blind adoration wears on me even faster than jaded curmudgeons do. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5050 on: December 07, 2010, 06:39:23 AM

By cute you mean insufferably deluded or ignorant, right?

(Hah!  Nebu posted the nice version while I was typing.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #5051 on: December 07, 2010, 06:42:38 AM

Sometimes it's more fun to be around cute and adorable little puppy people who haven't been completely burned out on the the whole genre yet.
my what do we have here?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5052 on: December 07, 2010, 06:57:00 AM

TOR BC is going to be different. Fucking be there. I will be penning the new raid attendance policy and our charter.

ACK! Cthulu Eat
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #5053 on: December 07, 2010, 07:02:39 AM

ACK! Cthulu Eat

I'm not entirely clear on what that means, so by all means, don't tell me.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #5054 on: December 07, 2010, 08:17:48 AM

ACK! Cthulu Eat

I'm not entirely clear on what that means, so by all means, don't tell me.

I think it means, "I'm about to renact the octopus eating scene from Oldboy and will post the resulting video here as proof".

On the other hand, hieroglyphics were never my strong point.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5055 on: December 07, 2010, 09:05:55 AM

I find that blind adoration wears on me even faster than jaded curmudgeons do. 
Of course the best are the players who cycle unpredictably between the two extremes.  Lotro seems to bring that out in some people  awesome, for real
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5056 on: December 07, 2010, 09:08:46 AM

Of course the best are the players who cycle unpredictably between the two extremes.  Lotro seems to bring that out in some people  awesome, for real

There's a huge difference between enjoying a game and blind adoration of a game.  Don't you think?  swamp poop

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5057 on: December 07, 2010, 09:15:08 AM

Well of course. And there's a huge difference between blind adoration of a game and wanting to give it a chance before predicting and taking pleasure in its failure.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5058 on: December 07, 2010, 09:24:25 AM

Well of course. And there's a huge difference between blind adoration of a game and wanting to give it a chance before predicting and taking pleasure in its failure.

Oh, I'm going to buy this game and play it for a month.  If I last longer than that, I'll be pleasantly surprised.  I seriously doubt that any new MMO can hold me longer than a month anymore. 

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5059 on: December 07, 2010, 09:32:09 AM

Oh, I'm going to buy this game and play it for a month.  If I last longer than that, I'll be pleasantly surprised.  I seriously doubt that any new MMO can hold me longer than a month anymore. 

This.  If I can get a month worth of KOTOR-like RPG gaming out of this, I'll be happy to pay the cover price.  Anything else is bonus.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5060 on: December 07, 2010, 09:45:43 AM

I'm hoping for more than a month but I doubt I'll get more than three or four.  That's about as long as WoW can hold me after an expansion.  I'm just not much into the standard raiding end game.

But who knows? Maybe they'll pull an FFXIV and self destruct during their open beta and I'll end up not playing at all. Square Enix managed to totally surprise me with their incompetence and it's not like EA has the best of reputations.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5061 on: December 07, 2010, 11:08:36 AM

I could get into raiding, if I just kill my fiancee and quit my job.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5062 on: December 07, 2010, 11:46:32 AM

You don't need to kill her.  Just start digging a pit in your basement. 

-  Mark Twain
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5063 on: December 07, 2010, 01:18:42 PM

You don't need to kill her.  Just start digging a pit in your basement. 

Is the what were calling getting our SOs into MMOGs now?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5064 on: December 07, 2010, 01:21:45 PM

Ah, put her in the pit with a computer and have her grind raids for me. Genius!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5065 on: December 07, 2010, 01:41:37 PM

Poopsocking for raids is oldhat.  Most raiders play a few hours a night 2-3 days a week.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5066 on: December 07, 2010, 01:51:13 PM

Go ahead and point me to the mature, competent, non-uptight guild that raids 2-3 nights a week without an attendance requirement, mostly wed/thurs, sometimes tues; from 11am until 1am sharp. Because yeah. Otherwise I'm all about rl, thanks. I might be on other times, but I cannot predict or commit to it. You've really got to be into gaming to be in a raid guild, if you don't think so, you're really into gaming :p
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5067 on: December 07, 2010, 01:57:05 PM

I don't know, I haven't played WOW in a year, but they are out there.  Many of the hardcore guilds raid every night, but many of those nights are alt-raids for fun etc.

When was the last time you tried to get involved with it?  I'm thinking you got a bad stereotype working for you.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5068 on: December 07, 2010, 02:01:42 PM

Go ahead and point me to the mature, competent, non-uptight guild that raids 2-3 nights a week without an attendance requirement, mostly wed/thurs, sometimes tues; from 11am until 1am sharp. Because yeah. Otherwise I'm all about rl, thanks. I might be on other times, but I cannot predict or commit to it. You've really got to be into gaming to be in a raid guild, if you don't think so, you're really into gaming :p

Raiding isn't really like that anymore, at least in WoW. My impression is that LotRO is more or less similar. Unless you're doing the bleeding edge hard mode stuff maybe. The couple guys that we have in our guild that try to run every raid every week complain that they finish in a couple days and have nothing to do.  tongue

EDIT: The issue is always just going to be finding the group that exactly matches your needs. I guarantee they exist, there are in fact probably hundreds of guilds that more or less match what you're saying, down to the schedule, everything. The catch is that those groups generally aren't also advertising 'hey we want players' so finding that group that is the Perfect Jesus Raid Fun Group for your exact needs is going to be daunting.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 02:04:26 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #5069 on: December 07, 2010, 04:00:52 PM

Echoing what other people are saying, the WoW raiding scene is mostly made up of what you described, although for some of them you might have to cut out the competent part.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5070 on: December 07, 2010, 05:42:42 PM

The WoW community is huge, and in that community you'll find a wide variety of approaches to raiding. However there is no game that supports casual raiding and advanced raiding in the same game (10/25 man, optional hard-modes, stupidly difficult achievement challenges, good balance on challenge, "bonus" effects late in content life-cycle, good flexibility in raid composition, not to mention actually having content worth raiding) better than WoW. And my guild (Australian timezone though) has no problem supporting very casual raiders.

I wait in rapt anticipation to see how SWTOR aims to structure theirs and keep people busy at the endgame.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5071 on: December 07, 2010, 07:30:21 PM

I might be smoking crack, but didn't they say that their 'raids' were geared towards 4 man (plus companions) groups?
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #5072 on: December 08, 2010, 12:38:41 AM

Pretty much describes the guild I just joined. They raid twice a week, no attendance requirements, second raid usually a (more) casual/alt affair on tues and thurs. They don't quite fit my timings as they're mostly all on CET so start at 9pm their time and I rarely get on before 9pm my time. But within a week of joining, I'd run the first wing of ICC with them and I never raid.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5073 on: December 08, 2010, 02:53:57 AM

It puts the epic on its' toon or else it gets the hose real soon.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5074 on: December 08, 2010, 11:38:35 AM

It puts the epic on its' toon or else it gets the hose real soon.

Well done sir.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: